Actual Size of Shanghai's Theme Park?

RandySavage

So while the Shanghai's overall on-show size is comparable to the MK's (which in turn is in the same league as the slightly larger TDL & DLP), this video (of a sped-up foot race through an empty SDL) gives an idea of how its open, spread-out design make if feel much larger and yet more empty:

Last edited:

BrianLo

Toy Story Playland wasn't really an expansion so much as an opening land that was delayed for contractual reasons with Hong Kong. I do imagine the overspend to open the park has had some downstream effect on the slowing of rapid expansion. Their profitability metrics are likely altered from what they proposed to the government. Not to say the park isn't successful, it totally has been.

Shanghai's Pirates has a huge capacity. It's essentially doubled Soaring, RoTR and FOP. I know they are spending adverse domestically when it comes to that ride platform, but you do get what you pay for.

Giss Neric

Shanghai looks so empty cause the walkways are so wide and spacious. They could literally build parade floats twice as big as Disney parks here in the states and it will still fit. When I went there last year, it seems everyone's favorite ride is Soarin. Same thing with Tokyo. They love their version of Soarin in Disney Sea. Flight of Passage type ride will work there for sure.

DISR

Just watched a video walkthrough of this park. I guess it may not be quite as immersive due to the wide walkways and openness, but the theming looks extremely well done, everything still appears new and shiny, and it feels much less claustrophopic than MK. On a crowded day, I can't wait to finish my must-dos and get out of MK after being run into by people and strollers for 7-8 hours.

Robbiem

For people who have visited- does the wide walkways and spaced out areas make the park feel less magical?

In the same way that Disneyland’s scale makes it more charming than Magic Kingdom to most people I was wondering if Shanghai‘s size robs it of some of its sense of charm. From videos it looks quite soulless but I don't know if this is a quirk of video or a real effect when you Are in the park

sedati

Just watched a video walkthrough of this park. I guess it may not be quite as immersive due to the wide walkways and openness, but the theming looks extremely well done, everything still appears new and shiny, and it feels much less claustrophopic than MK. On a crowded day, I can't wait to finish my must-dos and get out of MK after being run into by people and strollers for 7-8 hours.
I weirdly get a lot of early Epcot Center vibes from what I've seen. Mostly from being able to see so much and at such a distance.

Timchat2

For people who have visited- does the wide walkways and spaced out areas make the park feel less magical?

The wide walkways do make it feel less magical. For the most part the lands work fairly well but they feel somewhat isolated from one another, although Adventure Isle and Treasure Cove do complement each other by way of having the Adventureland vibes. SDL has some strengths but it did strike us as the "coldest" feeling Disney Park.

Robbiem

The wide walkways do make it feel less magical. For the most part the lands work fairly well but they feel somewhat isolated from one another, although Adventure Isle and Treasure Cove do complement each other by way of having the Adventureland vibes. SDL has some strengths but it did strike us as the "coldest" feeling Disney Park.
Sounds like in real life it feels like it looks in videos. Its the one park that when I saw online my urge to visit went down. I loved Hong Kong Disneyland though it was a really charming park with great cast members

BrianLo

In the same way that Disneyland’s scale makes it more charming than Magic Kingdom to most people I was wondering if Shanghai‘s size robs it of some of its sense of charm. From videos it looks quite soulless but I don't know if this is a quirk of video or a real effect when you Are in the park

Depends on the day and the crowds. What's lost in charm is gained in lack of congestion.

Likewise congestion isn't charming. HKDL has the benefit of Disneyland scale without the crowds, so it's the best of both worlds.

Ironically both feel right for their respective locations, I guess. SDL also suffers from having one too many unoccupied expansion pads within the centre of lands.

Timchat2

Sounds like in real life it feels like it looks in videos. Its the one park that when I saw online my urge to visit went down. I loved Hong Kong Disneyland though it was a really charming park with great cast members

WDI clearly put a lot of effort into the many individual elements of Shanghai Disneyland, so there is still enough worth seeing if in the area. Unfortunately the parts are greater than the whole because of stuff like the wide walkways. The Fantasyland stretch of the big loop in particular feels indistinguishable at points, especially at night.

We really enjoyed Hong Kong Disneyland as well. The park is very pleasant and laidback in addition to being charming. The setting of the entire resort is truly spectacular. The walk along the bay from the hotels is breathtaking on a bright sunny day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom