AbracadaBar - Anyone know about it's history/story?

skipperdan

Original Poster
I am doing some research into AbracadaBar (great name, but no idea how to pronounce it) for my little site about S.E.A. I'm looking to see if anyone knows the designers/story writers for the bar and discover more about it's links to S.E.A.

Tobes58

Here is the story, from Disney's Web site
Nice place, only problem is they need to have some walk around magicians preforming here now while you hang out!!

Incredible Tricks – Even Better Drinks
Travel back in time to the golden age of magic as you step inside this curious cocktail lounge.
Formerly the stomping grounds for famous magicians, local illusionists and the loveliest of magician’s assistants, AbracadaBar gives interested onlookers and aficionados of alcoholic beverages alike a glimpse—and perhaps a taste—of another time and place.
According to boardwalk lore, prestidigitators would gather here after nearly every show, often staying up all night as they attempted to out-charm each other with extraordinary tricks before gathering at the bar to conjure up new cocktails.
But then, just as soon as it had appeared, the secret lounge vanished into thin air, never to be seen again… until today!
Back in the spotlight now at Disney’s BoardWalk, AbracadaBar has re-opened its doors, giving Guests like you a peek at an era long since passed—from its enchanted show posters and mystifying mirrors to vintage props and tricks—all while savoring some of the bar’s signature specialties.

skipperdan

Original Poster
Thanks for replying. I only managed to find out the following so far:

"Apparently back in Sept 1940, a group of five magicians mysteriously disappeared from the lounge there and never found. The bar was closed down for over 70 years until it opened to the public. Guests are able to see tools and items left behind by those magicians. One of those items is a Turkish hat hidden secretly in a cupboard. The hat, which is known to be worn by S.E.A members, bears the S.E.A. coat of arms. It is thought to belong to one of the five magicians that disappeared."

Is anyone able to corroborate the story - I'm struggling to find the source. I am also looking for concept art about it.

Hockey89

I went to this bar a few weeks ago and sat at the bar.... I'm never witnessed more grumpy workers at a Disney bar... Skippy and the crew... OMG... Complain complain.... There was a regular there they were being nice too.... Once he left. you heard Skippy say " what an a%%h&&&... Nice looking bar but man it was a grumpy cast....

skipperdan

Original Poster
I went to this bar a few weeks ago and sat at the bar.... I'm never witnessed more grumpy workers at a Disney bar... Skippy and the crew... OMG... Complain complain.... There was a regular there they were being nice too.... Once he left. you heard Skippy say " what an a%%h&&&... Nice looking bar but man it was a grumpy cast....

Yeah i've heard mixed things, but it looks like a really good theme and concept.

Tobes58

Yeah, I would go back but sit at a table...

My wife and I sat at a table, had a great waiter and some great drinks!! A-lot of cool magic props and photos on the walls. Watch carefully the posters in the frames, they change from time to time. Cool place to hang and relax, but like I said before it would be a great plus, if there were some strolling magician from time to time.

Notes from Neverland

Unfortunately, the drinks and presentation here changed quite a bit over the past year. While several special drinks had fun and "magical" presentations, those were eliminated for some reason. The cast seemed really bummed by the change and I know at least on transferred because they felt the decisions being made were so poor.

magicman123

I felt the same way, Skip was a grumpy jerk. His real name is Scott

Club Cooloholic

I haven't been to the place in a few years but it was exactly like that when I went there. I heard bar tenders complaining about customers and acting annoyed that anyone was ordering anything in the first place! For the prices of the drinks some decent service should be expected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom