About SWGE, maybe it’s just me, but...

TrainsOfDisney

The land is open in California. I’ve seen it, I was underwhelmed. I love Avatarland and have never seen nor care to see Avatar. The land has some really cool design features, especially at night, and I do think the land will feel like a better fit for DHS. But if they open the land with the same lack of entertainment, I think it will be as equally underwhelming.

I’ve yet to read a glowingly positive review from anyone who has seen the land.

Smiley/OCD

Hmmmm...so why would you love it then? It’s mostly just scenery. If you aren’t a fan of Star Wars...how does scenery translate to “awesome”

You’re argument applies more to avatar...because nobody remembered much about the movie before the land opened anyway 😂

That is “like” in a definition not yet published by webster’s Where “like” means “not like much at all”

I’m really interested to see this...luckily I won’t have to fight any crowds in Disneyland to do it 🤪...

But here’s the problem with “look”. There’s no substance to it. In the end, the rides, shows, food and to a lesser degree shops are what you HAVE to have for longterm success.

The DL has started off not good on all fronts. The second ride will help...but can it compensate for known design flaws now?

We’ll see.

Wdw will have the exact same flaws in a park that can’t handle capacity...by the way.

But that didn’t go to the original poster’s (documented) belief that if you don’t say everything done in Orlando is an “amazing, magical experience”...it ruins their day in Cleveland...or wherever.

It’s personal. You are consistent.

You’re premise is actually erring on the side of erring...as Disneyland has far more options to alleviate potential crowding issues than mgm would in its wildest dreams.
Because it's aesthetics...I think it looks awesome...you're kinda like dads of friends that I know...no matter what you say, or what you do, it's never right or good enough...almost like your opinion is the ONLY one that matters.

TrainsOfDisney

I stayed away from the Star Wars threads until I saw it in person, partially because I didn’t want to come into the land jaded. And to keep away spoilers. So I get that you are hoping that the land is amazing, I was too.

The pictures I took of the land look amazing, especially right at sunset. That doesn’t mean the land doesn’t have major flaws. Rise won’t fix those flaws.

joshjoned

I stayed away from the Star Wars threads until I saw it in person, partially because I didn’t want to come into the land jaded. And to keep away spoilers. So I get that you are hoping that the land is amazing, I was too.

The pictures I took of the land look amazing, especially right at sunset. That doesn’t mean the land doesn’t have major flaws. Rise won’t fix those flaws.

Nothing is without flaws.

TrainsOfDisney

Nothing is without flaws.

Sure.... but Avatar doesn’t have those major flaws. The sidewalk doesn’t “glow” the way it was initially advertised, and much like the Galaxies edge, CM’s don’t use some made up Navi language. But the land has background music, and feels like a living place. I enjoy being in the land, and it’s a place I want to explore.

Same with Cars Land.

BoarderPhreak

Honestly, I think the rides could stink (unlikely) but just the highly themed environment alone will be utterly amazing, and the best thing since Pandora. Doesn't mean I'll spend $200 on a lightsaber or $150 on a droid, but I'll happily wander around in awe for hours and hours. I'm not a staunch Star Wars fan, but I can't wait. 👍

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because it's aesthetics...I think it looks awesome...you're kinda like dads of friends that I know...no matter what you say, or what you do, it's never right or good enough...almost like your opinion is the ONLY one that matters.
Lol...the “look and the feel” of Star Wars- the aesthetics - is tied to the love of the original movies.

One is tied to the other.

If you don’t like Star Wars...you might say: “cool, neat rocks and buildings”

But that isn’t exactly the “game changer” that has been ballyhooed around here for several years (old threads...it’s in there)

Smiley/OCD

Lol...the “look and the feel” of Star Wars- the aesthetics - is tied to the love of the original movies.

But that isn’t exactly the “game changer” that has been ballyhooed around here for several years (old threads...it’s in there)
Since you started this, I also think Pandora is awesome too, having never seen the movie. One doesn't have to be tied to the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since you started this, I also think Pandora is awesome too, having never seen the movie. One doesn't have to be tied to the other,
Nobody on earth even remembered avatar when the land opened...or “few” I would say.

Not really the same with Star Wars.

I get what you’re saying...but here’s the thing: pandora opened to generally good reviews. That hasn’t been the case with the Star Wars land and its more dedicated fans...so far

Last edited by a moderator:

Heppenheimer

I'm looking forward to seeing it on the trip we have booked for 2020. But nothing I've seen in the videos has tempted me to book a quick trip earlier just to check it out. The whole "complete immersion" (aka, make-believe playing) and the fact that much of what has thus far opened is little more than a series of expensive Star Wars toy stores has dampened my enthusiasm a little.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But I like that baggage :grumpy:
We old guard fans have what is perhaps what is the most abusive relationship in Hollywood history.

George became a billionaire off us - and our parents and grandparents wallets.

But we didn’t like it when he went “low”...prioritizing merch and cost saving in cgi over the tactile “feel” we associated with. So George don’t like us.

And Disney now wants to kinda ignore all that. Get our wallets to go along...but deny the history of what happened and not be responsible for “smoothing it over”

Just my take.

Don’t worry though - lives are about to be changed in the lightsaber shop and Fufu’s Cantina in Orlando. Just....you...wait.

mergatroid

And yet I hate Harry Potter but enjoy the lands at Universal immensely. A land can be well executed and appeal to those who don't even know what the land's based on. To argue differently is like saying Frontierland can't be enjoyed if you're not a fan of the old wild west. Of course it's subjective and if you want to laugh at people who appreciate 'the look and feel of Star Wars' then you can, just as some laugh at adults dressed as Harry Potter at Universal waving wands. I personally don't as it's subjective and people appreciate things at different levels and for different reasons, but each to their own.

PolynesianPrincess

Sure.... but Avatar doesn’t have those major flaws. The sidewalk doesn’t “glow” the way it was initially advertised, and much like the Galaxies edge, CM’s don’t use some made up Navi language. But the land has background music, and feels like a living place. I enjoy being in the land, and it’s a place I want to explore.

Same with Cars Land.

Cars Land is by far my favorite land Disney has ever done. Sure, it's small and there are only 3 attractions but it's EXACTLY like the movie and you really feel like you're there in Radiator Springs.

I have never seen Harry Potter. I liked the land at IOA. Haven't been to Diagon Alley yet but it looks pretty cool. Never seen Avatar but really love the land. Pandora is beautifully well done.

I personally am very excited to see GE. Yes, it's tiny. Yes, there are only 2 rides (well, one when it opens) I feel like all these "bloggers" and "influencers" want to do these days is tear down every single thing Disney does. Nothing is done well enough and all they do is complain about this and that. It's all just SO negative these days. Seems like that's the general way of the internet right now though so I'm not too shocked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom