? about Dining Plan

MissViv

Original Poster
We are planning a 4 night stay in November (not free dining) and we can purchase the dining plan for $300. ea. which seems to be a pretty good deal (I have crunched the numbers).

But … we are only buying 2 days worth of magic your way tickets to the parks. So, will the dining plan be for 4 days or 2 days. I thought you had to buy park hopper tickets for entire stay but it is letting me reserve with our current tickets.

MissViv

Original Poster
Dining plan is based on how many nights you are staying. Unless you are doing free dining, hoppers have nothing to do with it.

Sounds great - I think adding the dining plan might be worth it. I crunched the #'s and it looks like it would cost us a min. of $362. to buy our meals and that is with no snacks or drink refill cups.

Weather_Lady

Sounds great - I think adding the dining plan might be worth it. I crunched the #'s and it looks like it would cost us a min. of $362. to buy our meals and that is with no snacks or drink refill cups.

That's a rather high number for meals alone ($90 per person for 4 days, when an average CS meal with entree and beverage will run <$20 and average TS will be more like $40-$60) -- just be sure that your list doesn't include any 2-credit table service meals (e.g., all signature restaurants, dinner shows and some of the character dining), since using your credits on those will require you to pay for another meal out of pocket, and vitiate any savings you would get via the dining plan.

MissViv

Original Poster
That's a rather high number for meals alone ($90 per person for 4 days, when an average CS meal with entree and beverage will run <$20 and average TS will be more like $40-$60) -- just be sure that your list doesn't include any 2-credit table service meals (e.g., all signature restaurants, dinner shows and some of the character dining), since using your credits on those will require you to pay for another meal out of pocket, and vitiate any savings you would get via the dining plan.

I was counting $15 for breakfast, $20 for lunch & $40.00 for dinner but I think breakfast would probably have to be a snack. So maybe the dining plan doesn't make sense?

dreamfinder

I was counting $15 for breakfast, $20 for lunch & $40.00 for dinner but I think breakfast would probably have to be a snack. So maybe the dining plan doesn't make sense?

There are some calculators online, or you can just look at the menus and see the actual current costs. If the dining plan fits your eating style, then you might be able to come out ahead. But it's better to run actual numbers instead of just ball-parking.

Weather_Lady

The dining plan does not include breakfast (unless you opt to use your CS credits for breakfast, although that's not recommended), so you'd have to use 1 or 2 snack credits if you wanted to purchase small breakfast items (for example, items like a bagel, a muffin, a piece of fruit, a cup of yogurt or a cup of coffee would each be 1 snack credit). If you got $15 worth out of 2 snack credits for breakfast each morning (which could be tough to do) and spent the amounts you anticipate for lunch and dinner, then it looks like you'd be getting $75 worth of food per day, per person on the DDP (for which you'd be spending about $75 per person, per day). That would have you breaking just about even as long as you used all of your credits and only ate at 1-credit restaurants when it came to table service. Whether you prefer a little more flexibility, or the reassurance of prepayment, is up to you. :)

Dave B

The dining plan does not include breakfast (unless you opt to use your CS credits for breakfast, although that's not recommended), so you'd have to use 1 or 2 snack credits if you wanted to purchase small breakfast items (for example, items like a bagel, a muffin, a piece of fruit, a cup of yogurt or a cup of coffee would each be 1 snack credit). If you got $15 worth out of 2 snack credits for breakfast each morning (which could be tough to do) and spent the amounts you anticipate for lunch and dinner, then it looks like you'd be getting $75 worth of food per day, per person on the DDP (for which you'd be spending about $75 per person, per day). That would have you breaking just about even as long as you used all of your credits and only ate at 1-credit restaurants when it came to table service. Whether you prefer a little more flexibility, or the reassurance of prepayment, is up to you. :)
Or you can use your snack credit for breakfast, that's what we do. You can get a GIANT Mickey Waffle at MK for a snack Credit or the Cheshire Cat tail is a great use as well, When you think of snacks, go big, don't use them on H2O bottles or candy, its a waste, there are some great uses of snack credits out there

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Dining plan is based on the number of nights you stay not the number of days on a park ticket.
You can even get the dining plan without park tickets but you have to call and specify you want a ticketless package.

Jon81uk

Dining Plan doesn't include breakfast, we used a snack credit to get a cinnamon pastry and a coffee in the refill mug most mornings.

Also although a lot of quick service lunches can add up to $20 for something like a bacon cheeseburger and a drink, if you went with just chicken nuggets and a soft drink its closer to $15. Add an alcoholic drink and its better value, but in the Florida heat will you really want that?
Same for table service, the steak entrée might be $36 but the chicken could be $20, dessert is $7 and then soft drink maybe $5 or alcohol $9, so the table service meal could run $32 up to $52.
Snacks are typically around $5-6 each.
Some of the Prix-Fixe meals like Be Our Guest dinner can work out a good deal on the dining plan though.

So food costs could range from $57 or less to $82 or more.

If you won't drink alcohol with meals and regularly have cheaper entrees rather than steaks and more expensive options then it isn't worth paying for the dining plan.
But free dining can work out worthwhile if there are no better discounts.

Ghostdog

Or you can use your snack credit for breakfast, that's what we do. You can get a GIANT Mickey Waffle at MK for a snack Credit or the Cheshire Cat tail is a great use as well, When you think of snacks, go big, don't use them on H2O bottles or candy, its a waste, there are some great uses of snack credits out there
And if you visit AK you can get Mac n cheese with Pulled pork on top using a snack credit and ask for a cup of iced water (lunch)...its delicious!

heatherhy01

It's not that the dining plan does not include breakfast...it is that you are only allotted so many credits of each, table service, counter service and snacks per day. We use our counter service for breakfast most days with the snacks for lunch in the middle of the day and the table service for dinner. If we want to do a big character breakfast, then we use the table service for breakfast instead and just do a counter service for dinner. We love the dining package because then we do not have to worry and have all of our dining plans scheduled before we leave.

Jon81uk

It's not that the dining plan does not include breakfast...it is that you are only allotted so many credits of each, table service, counter service and snacks per day. We use our counter service for breakfast most days with the snacks for lunch in the middle of the day and the table service for dinner. If we want to do a big character breakfast, then we use the table service for breakfast instead and just do a counter service for dinner. We love the dining package because then we do not have to worry and have all of our dining plans scheduled before we leave.

I assume you know that by using the counter service credits on breakfast you are losing money? Breakfast entrees are cheaper than lunch/dinner entrees.

NeedMoreMickey

When doing your math i think it’s hard to find a steak dinner on property for under $55 because need to include a beverage and maybe an salad or soup. The nicer restaurants can easily be $70. We pay out of pocket for meals it works out better for us. With the dining plan the question is do you pre-pay and try to get your money worth or pay as you go.

Jon81uk

When doing your math i think it’s hard to find a steak dinner on property for under $55 because need to include a beverage and maybe an salad or soup. The nicer restaurants can easily be $70. We pay out of pocket for meals it works out better for us. With the dining plan the question is do you pre-pay and try to get your money worth or pay as you go.

The $55+ steak entrees are at signature restaurants that need two credits on the dining plan. Most regular places have a steak for around $36. Add a drink for $5-10 depending if you are having alcohol and dessert at $7 and the value of a table service credit is about $50 maximum

heatherhy01

I assume you know that by using the counter service credits on breakfast you are losing money? Breakfast entrees are cheaper than lunch/dinner entrees.
Your suggestion would be to use snack credits for breakfast & counter for lunch?? That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip!!! Never thought of it that way.

Jon81uk

Your suggestion would be to use snack credits for breakfast & counter for lunch?? That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip!!! Never thought of it that way.

I used snack to get a cinnamon whirl or other pastry for breakfast, getting coffee in the refill mug. Then used counter service for an early lunch and table service for dinner. Can use the other snack for a mid-afternoon ice cream.

If I went off-site so didn't have Disney lunch then the extra counter service credits were used up on breakfast.

ppet

I used to be a big supporter of the dining plan, These days unless it's free;) I wouldn't purchase most of the time. I did buy for my next trip. It is during food and wine and the snacks do work great for the kiosks. Also I am travelling with a group that likes their alcoholic beverage during meals and that does add up, without those two items thought I find it hard to break even anymore. If it works for you go for it. Like others have stated don't use for breakfast though unless doing character breakfasts. Another thing to remember is some of the QS meals can be used by two. My wife and I generally split a meal at Flametree and some other locations.

bmmilan

Just pay cash. You save a lot more money that way and bf, lunch and dinner is so much food. You will be so full. My family are big eaters and it is way too much for us. We saved so much money not using the plan. We'll never do it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom