ABC stars going Disney

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
ABC stars going Disney
By Greg Hernandez

Saturday, August 3, 2002

ANAHEIM, CA (Los Angeles Daily News) -- The Walt Disney Co., plagued with soft theme park attendance, needs some extra exposure for the upcoming fall line-up of its struggling ABC television network.

So the entertainment conglomerate is trying some corporate synergy by sending the stars of its new prime-time shows to Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim for a two-day fanfest this month to try and boost both divisions which contributed to Disney's poor third-quarter earnings -- announced this week -- and grim fourth-quarter outlook.

"ABC Primetime Preview Weekend" on Aug. 24 and 25 will feature the likes of Dylan McDermott ("The Practice"), Drew Carey and "NYPD Blue" star Dennis Franz. Cast members from the network's new fall shows will also be on hand.

ABC is unveiling seven new shows in the fall in an effort to stop a ratings free-fall that has lasted all season. In the most recent prime-time ratings released this week, ABC could claim just one program in the top 20.

"Disney has a number of assets that can help to promote their other assets," said analyst David Joyce of Guzman and Associates in Miami. "One of the ways they can do that is by making the actors from the upcoming season more available at the parks. There's also the possibility that it can drive a bit of incremental attendance at the park."

Disney is on an aggressive campaign to maximize the synergy between its struggling ABC network and various Disney properties. At a meeting in June, Disney Chairman Michael D. Eisner asked top executives from every Disney division to brainstorm ways to boost the ratings of ABC.

Among the ideas was having parades at the theme parks featuring the ABC stars and even having Disney-produced films dressed with references to ABC programs.

The fanfest will feature many of the stars from the network's crop of new shows. Some, like John Ritter and Katey Sagal ("8 Simple Rules") are familiar for their respective previous hit shows, "Three's Company" and "Married ... With Children." Others such as Bonnie Hunt ("Life With Bonnie") and George Lopez are established personalities but are not household names.

Cast members from the new shows "Less Than Perfect" and "That Was Then" will also participate. Popular ice skater Michelle Kwan will also appear as part of her affiliation with ABC Sports as will "Monday Night Football" announcers Al Michaels and Melissa Stark.

"What better way to excite viewers and the public and inform the media about our new season than to allow them unparalleled access to the stars and talent from our new and returning series," said ABC Entertainment President Susan Lyne. "These two days are going to be a lot of fun and should generate tremendous buzz for ABC."

In addition to McDermott, Franz and Carey, "Life With Jim" stars Jim Belushi, Courtney Thorne-Smith and Kimberly Williams will make appearances as will panelists from "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"

Events during the two-day event include a Q&A showcase, a daily parade of stars, sneak previews of new show pilots, stand-up comedy from Lopez, live music from Belushi and his band and two live performances of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"

This corporate synergy was used in April with ABC soap stars which included "All My Children" star Susan Lucci and fellow cast members the first weekend then stars from "One Life to Live" and "General Hospital" on subsequent weekends.

"As a company, we embrace every opportunity to get behind our partners and showcase their quality products," said Cynthia Harris, president of Disneyland Resort which encompasses California Adventure, Disneyland, Downtown Disney and several Disney-owned hotels.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by mktiggerman
..... will make appearances as will panelists from "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"

....and two live performances of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"

Man, I wish I was going there in August, this alone would lure me ANYWHERE!

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Stars Parade through Disney Park for 'ABC Preview'

Stars Parade through Disney Park for 'ABC Preview'
Sat, Aug 17, 2002 10:19 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) -- From Andy D¡ck to Damon Wayans, Drew Carrey to Dennis Franz, the stars will be on parade at Disney.

Disney's announcing an unprecedented number of ABC primetime stars scheduled to appear at Disneyland's California Adventure Park for the first "ABC Primetime Preview Weekend."

The special will be taped over two days, Aug. 24 and 25, and open to the public.

The latest additions scheduled to walk through the park are Wayans and Tisha Campbell-Martin (“My Wife and Kids”), D¡ck (“Less Than Perfect ”), Mark-Paul Gosselaar (“NYPD Blue”), and Victor Garber (“Alias.”)

The talent includes more than 60 ABC primetime stars so far. But sports fans will also be thrilled to see some Super Bowl and NBA stars working throughout the park to celebrate ABC's “Network for Sports Championships,” hosted by KABC Entertainment Reporter George Pennachio.

Throughout the weekend, Disney visitors can see:

Live performances of the Drew Carey-hosted “Whose Line is it Anyway? LIVE”
Question and answer sessions with all the ABC stars
A daily “ABC Happy Hour” Trivia Challenge
The daily “ABC Primetime Parade of Stars”
Sneak previews of returning hit programs and new, highly anticipated shows
Stand-up comedy from George Lopez
Live performances by Jim Belushi and his band the Sacred Hearts

The list of stars scheduled to appear also include: Dylan McDermott and Jessica Capshaw, “The Practice"; John Ritter, Katey Sagal, “8 Simple Rules...;” Gordon Clapp, Henry Simmons, Bill Brochtrup, Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon and Charlotte Ross, “NYPD Blue;” Bonnie Hunt, Mark Derwin and Anthony Russell, “Life with Bonnie;” Diedrich Bader, Kathy Kinney, Ryan Stiles and Cynthia Watros, “The Drew Carey Show;” Ron Rifkin, Bradley Cooper, Merrin Dungey, Carl Lumbly, Kevin Weisman and David Anders, “Alias;” Al Michaels and Melissa Stark, “Monday Night Football;” Courtney Thorne-Smith, Kimberly Williams and Larry Joe Campbell, “According to Jim;” Constance Marie, Belita Moreno and Valente Rodriguez, “George Lopez;” Colin Mochrie, Brad Sherwood, Chip Esten, Jeff Davis, and Linda Taylor, “Whose Line is it Anyway?;” Michelle Kwan, Keith Jackson, Dan Fouts and John Davidson, ABC Sports; Sara Rue, Zachary Levi, Sherri Shepherd, Andrea Parker and Eric Roberts, “Less Than Perfect;” James Bulliard, Tyler Labine and Bess Armstrong, “That Was Then;” William Fichtner and Jane Lynch, “MD’s.”"

Tigggrl

WOOHOOO! Im going! I am gonna be there ALL day Saturday...I requested the weekend off....and I am paying dearly, but darn it...IM GONNA BE THERE!:lol: :sohappy: :sohappy:

MKCustodial

Re: Re: ABC stars going Disney

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Man, I wish I was going there in August, this alone would lure me ANYWHERE!

AMEN! I hope they make some kind of special episodes with those live appearences.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
All-Star Lineup Announced for 'ABC Primetime Preview

All-Star Lineup Announced for 'ABC Primetime Preview

ANAHEIM (Disneyland Press Release) -- The stars of hit ABC programs and talent from ABC's critically-acclaimed new shows will be on hand at Disney’s California Adventure park on August 24 and 25 for the first-ever "ABC Primetime Preview Weekend." Activities planned for the Weekend include two live performances of "Whose Line is it Anyway? LIVE!," question and answer sessions with the stars at the "ABC Star Q&A Show-case," the weekend-long "ABC 'Happy Hour Trivia' Challenge," a daily "ABC Primetime Parade of Stars," sneak previews of new show pilots in the "ABC Preview Screening Room," stand-up comedy from George Lo-pez, live music from Jim Belushi and his band Sacred Hearts, and much more. There will also be opportunities for the media to interview ABC talent. This event is part of an extraordinary initiative uniting every division of The Walt Disney Company in support of the ABC Television Network. Scheduled Stars and Talent:

Saturday, August 24
· Zachary Levi, Sherri Shepherd, Andrea Parker, Andy ________, Eric Roberts, “Less Than Perfect”
· John Ritter, Katey Sagal, Kaley Cuoco, and Amy Davidson, “8 Simple Rules..”
· Al Michaels and Melissa Stark, “Monday Night Football;”
· Michelle Kwan, Dan Fouts and John Davidson, ABC Sports
· Bonnie Hunt, Mark Derwin, Marianne Muellerleile, Holly Wortel, Chris Barnes, Anthony Russell, “Life with Bonnie”
· Drew Carey, Diedrich Bader, Kathy Kinney, Ryan Stiles, Cynthia Watros, “The Drew Carey Show”
· George Lopez, Constance Marie, Belita Moreno, Valente Rodriguez, “George Lopez Show”

Sunday, August 25
· Dylan McDermott and Jessica Capshaw, “The Practice;”
· Dennis Franz, Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Gordon Clapp, Jacqueline Obradors*, Esai Morales*, Henry Simmons, Bill Brochtrup, Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon and Charlotte Ross, “NYPD Blue;”
· Damon Wayans and Tisha Campbell-Martin, “My Wife and Kids;”
· Victor Garber, Ron Rifkin, Bradley Cooper, Merrin Dungey, Carl Lumbly, Kevin Weisman, David An-ders, “Alias;”
· Al Michaels and Melissa Stark, “Monday Night Football;”
· Jim Belushi, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Kimberly Williams, Larry Joe Campbell, “According to Jim;”
· Drew Carey, Colin Mochrie, Brad Sherwood, Chip Esten, Jeff Davis, Linda Taylor, “Whose Line is it Anyway?;”
· James Bulliard, Tyler Labine, Brad Raider, Tricia O’Kelley, Bess Armstrong, “That Was Then;”
· William Fichtner, Leslie Stefanson and Jane Lynch, “MD’s.”

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Picture Caption
ANAHEIM (AP) -- Actors John Ritter, right, and Kaley Cuoco, ride a roller coaster at Disney's California Adventure, Saturday, Aug. 24, 2002. The two star in "8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter," which premieres this fall on ABC. (AP Photo/Disney, Glen Miller)

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 79

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom