1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

A Whole New (WONDERful) World

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by AJH219, May 5, 2017.

1. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

Hello all! Now that the chaos of finals has ended, I have some time to write a brief trip report of my FIRST EVER Disney Cruise! Myself and two friends set sail on a three night cruise aboard the Disney Wonder from Port Canaveral with a one day stop at Castaway Cay. I just want to say that this was literally the best vacation I've ever been on! I'm honestly sold on the Disney Cruise experience and I am already saving to book another as a graduation gift in December! If you've ever wondered what a perfect experience is like, take a Disney cruise, it is as close to perfect as perfect can get. Anyway, gushing aside let's move on.

Our sail dates were Thursday to Sunday. The friend that invited me along is a veteran DCL cruiser and as such I felt like I was able to experience everything a first timer should. We boarded the ship around 1:00pm. The lobby of the Wonder is gorgeous and I was basically about to cry walking on (hint: I am one of those guys who cries a lot when I'm happy and this will be a recurring theme of the trip LOL). We hurried up to Cabanas and grabbed a bite to eat. Delicious food, I must say. After lunch, we walked around the ship while waiting for our stateroom to be completed. I've always known DCL ships were in a league of their own, but wow! The attention to every little detail left me floored. On our exploration, we ran into Tiana; who was just casually wondering the hallway :eek: We then headed to our stateroom to settle in before our evacuation drill and cast off party, which was a really fun way to get the weekend started.

Soon it was time for our evening festivities, which started with watching the Golden Mickey's. Talk about a phenomenal production, WOW! Loved that they included Tarzan and Hunchback, icing on the cake. I would not be mad if this show made its way to DHS. Our first dining experience was at Tiana's Place. And when I say this is the best Disney dining experience I've ever had, I am not kidding. The food was top notch, Tiana was amazing, and the band that plays during dinner was a class act. It was the first time I've ever felt like I was inside a Disney film! I wish we could have gone there every night. After dinner, we continued to explore the ship and partook in some games in the Azure lounge before calling it a day.

2. EOD K9

EOD K9 Well-Known Member

Tell me more about this icing and cake.

gdisneyfans and imahistorygeek like this.
  3. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Friday was our day at sea, and boy did we live it up! I'm an early riser, no matter when I go to sleep, so I was up early exploring more of the ship. This was my third cruise overall and I always forget how much there is to see on a cruise ship. We had brunch at Palo, which was yet another amazing dining experience. Our waiter was great and the food even better. Afterwards, we grabbed some drinks and basically chilled by the pool for most of the day. Later on my friend and I played various trivias. We mostly stuck to the trivia geared towards the adults, but we did play and win Disney song trivia! The kids were seething, LOL. But they played a lot of older song clips, which naturally gave us the advantage. Tonight's show was Disney Dreams, again another fantastic show. Seriously, the talent level they bring on-board is astounding. Dinner was in Triton's and honestly, after experiencing Tiana's the night before, this place was a let down. The food was yummy but the lack of any atmosphere really showed. This was also Pirate's Night and so afterwards we went up to the main deck for the small pirate party. While I enjoyed this, I was kind of expecting a bit more. I cannot quite explain what I mean by though. The dance party was cute and the fireworks were a nice touch,but something felt off. Anyway, after that, it was down to Azure for more games and karaoke.

Saturday was Castaway Cay. The three of us did the Castaway Cay 5K which was loads of fun. What a beautiful island this is! You see pictures of the Bahamas and think wow, can this be real? The answer is YES! After playing on the water slide, we moved over to Serenity Bay, and stayed there all day. We saw lots of neat sea life, for free. The small cafe back there too served delicious food, naturally we gorged ourselves. I also loved the bar staff provided service on the beach too, it was nice to have drinks brought to you left and right. I wish we could have spent more than one day here, but alas it was time to head back on board. Our last show was Frozen and despite my general dislike for the film, I LOVED this stage production! My last dining experience was in Animator's Palate. My friend said this would be a great "send off" and he was right. The small little show they do at the end had me in tears, and I loved the little nod to Fantasmic. After dinner, my friend and I did some last minute activities before heading back to the stateroom to pack for disembarkation Sunday.

Overall, everything I've read on these boards and heard from word of mouth about DCL is true. The crew members were class acts, always falling over themselves to make sure we were having a great time. The food was quality, the alcohol selection was perfect and more price friendly than expected, and the amount of activities for all ages was refreshing. One criticism I read beforehand was the insane amount of kids on the ships. Personally, I didn't feel there was a large presence of them. I think Disney did a fantastic job 'keeping' them corralled in there respective areas. We also stayed on the adult areas of the ship to avoid them as best as possible. Again, this was the best vacation I've ever been on and I really can't wait for the next voyage!!