A WDW Veteran's Thoughts on Disneyland

Mjt5126

I got lucky last year and got to go DL in August and WDW in October so I had a quick turnaround for comparison. It was my first trip to DL.

The theming at DL BTMRR was better but I thought the ride was boring and much perfered WDW. I also perfered WDW space mountain. Splash was wash. WDW moves slower so you enjoy the story more but we got soaked at DL and I enjoy that. Outside of these, I think the DL counterparts are better.

Much easier for go to WDW being on the east coast but I really go want to go back to DL. I agree the the Carsland theming was incredible.

truecoat

One thing I LOVED at Disneyland was the star wars "hyper"space mountain overlay. That was really well done. And you do get that "Walt built this/ walt was here" vibe at Disneyland which does make it feel special and magical. I'm just glad both DL and WDW are in our lives!

I forgot about that. It was still up when I went last May and it was outstanding.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
One thing I LOVED at Disneyland was the star wars "hyper"space mountain overlay. That was really well done. And you do get that "Walt built this/ walt was here" vibe at Disneyland which does make it feel special and magical. I'm just glad both DL and WDW are in our lives!
Did you do the Walk in Walts Footsteps tour?

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I did not. I actually didn't know about it! Unfortunately we only had 1.5 days last time so we had to maximize our ride time. Have you?
We did the tour. It ended with going into the apartment above the firehouse. Definately a different feel to the tour compared to KTTK, knowing that you were looking at the same things Walt did 60 years ago. And there's a really cool pin you receive at the end!

Touchdown

I can’t believe all the hate about Maxpass here. I love it, I can get over 10 passes a day with it, something that never happens at WDW. In fact if I start the day at DL it’s really easy to start stacking FPs at DCA (RSR if you can’t single ride first, then GotG, TSMM, Soarin, Incridicoaster) and hop from FP to FP all afternoon. I wish this system would come to WDW as a rope drop guy I get the maximum benefit out of that pass.

Walt Disney1955

The one positive thing about the rain issue... it really empties out the park vs. at wdw where everyone is on vacation.

Rides like Alice and Peter Pan should not have FP in my opinion. I prefer the DL system, but I currently get max pass free with my bi-coastal pass so it’s not a totally fair comparison.

Glad you were able to see some of the great entertainment at DL. Wdw has cut down live entertainment so much over the years you forget what it can be like with live, thematically correct music in almost every area of the parks. Plus shows like the royal theatre and Golden Horseshoe.

We almost missed the Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland (Diamond Horseshoe at WDW) because we completely forget about it at WDW because it is gone (permanently?). Great show though, very funny and lighthearted.

Tom Morrow

But the onboard audio was EXTREMELY loud, which was actually a common complaint I had on several attractions. I felt like the audio on Indy, Space, Thunder, Matterhorn, RSR, and a few others were just jacked way too loud. Even some of the dark rides. But that skull room in Indy was amazing.
This is something I actually loved about Disneyland. Everything was loud and clear. WDW, in my opinion, has a poor track record for keeping audio levels consistent and audible, and a lot of WDW attractions feel like their audio is on "do not disturb" mode.

Club Cooloholic

OP CONTINUED

FastPass: I really, really (really really really) hated FastPass at Disneyland. Anyone who says they don't like FastPass+ has never waited 40 minutes standby for Alice In Wonderland. On a WDW vacation, I travel for 8 nights. That's 24 FastPass selections plus 8 rope drops, giving me 32 attractions I'm guaranteed to ride with zero wait. No such luck at Disneyland. It's not so much the paper versus digital that's the issue, it's the complete lack of FastPass options at many attractions. Yes, I know that FastPass+ increases standby times, but if you're efficient at using the system (and I am), it's a huge time saver. We waited in far more standby lines in 6 Disneyland park days than we ever do at WDW in 8 park days. Another thing I didn't like is that Disneyland's FastPass is linked to your park ticket. I would have liked (for example) to have my wife using her Big Thunder FastPass with my older daughter while I went with the baby to get new FastPasses for Matterhorn, but since my wife physically needed the tickets in hand to redeem the Thunder FastPass, that was not possible. MaxPass would solve this, but that's a pay-for-play system that I dislike on its own merits.

Infrastructure: Absolutely loved being able to walk everywhere. Disneyland Hotel is the "further" of the two resorts we stayed in but I'd estimate it's about as far from the main gates as the Contemporary is from the Magic Kingdom, and it's a much more pleasant walk. So transportation gets an A+ simply because you didn't need any.

One problem Disneyland has is that it's completely unequipped for bad weather. It rained three of our six park days and the parks sort of came to a screeching halt during bad weather, even when it's just light rain. Almost all of the queues, ride loading areas, and quick service dining is outdoors and not under cover. If it's raining, you're going to get rained on. If it's cold, you're going to be cold. If it's hot, you're going to be hot. We got more soaked in a day of drizzle at Disneyland than we would in a midsummer monsoon at WDW because at WDW there are ways to stay out of it. Disneyland also has poor drainage so the streets flood very quickly.

Merchandise: Same quality as WDW, but slightly less selection from what I could tell. World of Disney at Downtown Disney was terrible. No "high quality" merchandise (books, watches, nice purses, Pandora beads, nice figures, etc.) All of that was in one specific shop in each park.

Cast members: Equal quality as WDW. Generally excellent, with one or two duds here and there.

Maintenance: Generally good, until the last night at Pacific Wharf when every trash can was overflowing. Bathrooms were generally clean, but a couple had stall doors that were somewhat off kilter.

Live entertainment: Much better talent at Disneyland, but the schedule for shows was often very limited during the week. Lots of shows were Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only.

Attractions: Disneyland is like Magic Kingdom, only better. California Adventure is like Hollywood Studios, only better. Basically. The only two attractions where I said "HOLY COW THAT'S WAY BETTER" were Pirates and Cars Land, which is the finest themed land I've ever been in and it's not even close.

I'll share other thoughts as they come to me, or feel free to ask me anything.
Great Report. I disagree though on two of your points. I found the quick service options far more interesting at DL than WDW. I feel like at WDW you are often limited to burgers, pizza and hot dogs. In DL we had falafel, couscous, and French dip sandwiches. Just lots more interesting and healthy options in my opinion.
And I prefer the old fast pass system. I think the standby lines are much more manageable (at least when we were there) and I like the spontaneity. It's nice to not plan your entire vacation week down to the hour, 2 months ahead of time.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Great Report. I disagree though on two of your points. I found the quick service options far more interesting at DL than WDW. I feel like at WDW you are often limited to burgers, pizza and hot dogs. In DL we had falafel, couscous, and French dip sandwiches. Just lots more interesting and healthy options in my opinion.
I'm not making a variety argument. The variety at Disneyland was fine. It's the quality I had a problem with. Food was generally cold and tasted cafeteria-quality IMO.

And I prefer the old fast pass system. I think the standby lines are much more manageable (at least when we were there) and I like the spontaneity. It's nice to not plan your entire vacation week down to the hour, 2 months ahead of time.
I see that you're from Tampa, and I think that plays into it. For people traveling a long way, planning is necessary regardless of the FP system. Planning FPs builds anticipation and excitement for the trip, especially for the kids. It's not just something we tolerate, it's something we actively enjoy.

Club Cooloholic

I'm not making a variety argument. The variety at Disneyland was fine. It's the quality I had a problem with. Food was generally cold and tasted cafeteria-quality IMO.

I see that you're from Tampa, and I think that plays into it. For people traveling a long way, planning is necessary regardless of the FP system. Planning FPs builds anticipation and excitement for the trip, especially for the kids. It's not just something we tolerate, it's something we actively enjoy.
That stinks it was not up to par. As for the fastpass, that is why I hope DL never changes, it keeps both parks unique and allows folks like you to like WDW and my style to have DL.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
That stinks it was not up to par. As for the fastpass, that is why I hope DL never changes, it keeps both parks unique and allows folks like you to like WDW and my style to have DL.
I wish DL would ditch MaxPass though. It's a problem having the two systems side by side.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I loved MaxPass. It had the sponteniety of the traditional FastPass system, without the awkward effort of having to visit each attraction and then go back again hours later. I definitely found it easier.
Yes, it's great if you have it. It's a severe disadvantage if you don't. They should roll it out to everybody for free or ditch it completely. The pay-to-play is what I have a problem with. The nickle-and-dime element of it feels like something you'd get at a Six Flags.

Club Cooloholic

Yes, it's great if you have it. It's a severe disadvantage if you don't. They should roll it out to everybody for free or ditch it completely. The pay-to-play is what I have a problem with. The nickle-and-dime element of it feels like something you'd get at a Six Flags.
Whoa captain...nickle and dime? From the company that wants us to pay an extra buck 125 to stay at the AK till midnight on a Friday, this is nothing.
I agree though it hurts families especially.

aliceismad

I haven't been to DLR since MaxPass started, but I like the idea of it. The paper FPs were a pain in the butt. The cost is less than a meal and worth it to me to spend less time waiting in line. And since so many people at DLR are locals, they've been on the rides before, they can rather opt to not spend the extra $.

Polite

I just made a trip out last week, I'll have to do a write up on my experience as well. I agree with a lot of the points; however, my experience with cast members was not as kind. I was quite disappointed with the level of customer service at Disneyland. We didn't do quick service food while there and instead tried the food at table service restaurants, which was quite good. We loved Napa Rose and really loved Carthay Circle. With that said, I will never go back to Wine Country Trattoria, terrible experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom