Trip Report A WDW and Disney Dream Foodbauchery Report-Sept.23-28. COMPLETED

General Itinerary:
WDW
Sept.23-25
Cruise
Sept.25-29

My trip started at 2:45 AM on Saturday the 23rd to catch a 6 AM flight out of Philly. Perhaps you are thinking early morning flights are good, because you can get to the parks sooner. But that was not the case. I had to fly to Chicago (Go Sox!) and then to Orlando. I think there was 4 hours of flying time involved. I don't even remember the flight to Chicago. The things I will do for a $67 one way fare.

For the two nights before the cruise, I stayed with the lovely @Tiggerish at Bay Lake Tower. I waited for her at MCO and we took the DME to BLT together.

I took these photos with my phone, so kindly bear with me. :)

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

View from room
IMG_1806.JPG

That night we had dinner at Narcoossee's. I had the butter-poached lobster. I split it with someone because I was staring down the barrel at a week of food, food, and more food and I wanted to pace myself. Since I split the meal, it did not arrive with the best presentation, so I forwent the food photo. I did enjoy it, though. We also ordered a side of the mashed potatoes. OMG. I had to move them away from me, because they were so delicious. They were the perfect amalgamation of cheese, bacon, butter, green onions and potatoes.

But the evening was not over, we had an Illuminations cruise. We met at the Yacht Club marina to board a "luxe pontoon" for a 90 minute cruise around the wonder of Crescent Lake. Our "captain" gave us a narration of the resorts on Crescent Lake and information about the gondolas. Our pontoon was loaded with cold soft drinks, Frito Lay products and a small selection of cookies. Some how, a bag of Cheetos jumped into my purse. :cautious:

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

Shortly before Illuminations was due to begin, we moored next to the other pontoons just on the other side of the bridge between the UK and France.

IMG_1822.JPG

I didn't take very good photos of the fireworks, so I will omit them. I am glad I got to experience this, but I wasn't crazy about the vantage point of my beloved Illuminations. I enjoyed the company and that was what made it worthwhile. :)

Because I'd been awake since 2:45 AM, I was struggling to stay awake. I got into a Lyft at Yacht Club and was promptly whisked away to BLT where I effortlessly fell asleep to face another day of foodbauchery. The following day was Brunch at California Grill and Food & Wine...:eek:

Sans Souci

Original Poster
Sunday, Sept. 24

I had plans to eat Brunch at California Grill and some FPs at DAK. Then I wanted to get a few things for dinner at F&W.

This is embarrassing to admit, but my husband brings me coffee in bed every morning (and in return, he gets tasty dinners and lots of homemade baked goods.), so I awoke wondering where my coffee was. :eek: Then I realized I was at WDW without my husband and I had to fend for myself. :cautious: So, I got ready and made my way to the coffee counter for a cold brew. :inlove:

I wanted to check out the gym. It was a disappointment. It's on the 3rd floor, but it could have been in the basement. There are no windows and it felt a bit stuffy. So, I decided not to use it. There is nothing worse than running on a treadmill in front of a mirror.

I just kept walking around and taking in the resort. I took some photos of the walkway from the Contemporary to BLT.

MK View
IMG_1836.JPG

Contemporary (I took this on the ground.)
IMG_1837.JPG

Soon, it was time for my Brunch. This was one of three "food events" I was eagerly awaiting.
I really enjoyed this and I would go back in a heartbeat! The atmosphere is very laid back and you can actually speak to your dining companion without shouting. It is part buffet and part a la carte. The buffet part had charcuterie, sushi, salads, fresh fruit, deviled eggs and assorted breakfast pastries. Then there is a menu with entrees to select for your breakfast. You are also given the first of many mimosas when you are seated, but I only had one. :angelic:

I only took two photos, because my phone got cranky decided to stop working. :mad:

Here is part of the buffet:
I was trying to be stealthy when taking my photos, but I guess that guy took it upon himself to smile at my phone. I did not ask him. I was trying to get only food in the photo. Anyway, those cheese biscuits in the foreground are truly delectable. I don't know how I stopped at one.
IMG_1840.JPG

My entree. This was a Spanish omelet that was filled with manchego, chorizo and red onions. It was topped with a Romesco sauce. I could only finish half, but it was gorgeous. If my husband knew how much I spent on this and how little I actually ate, he would probably stop bringing me coffee in the morning.
IMG_0865.JPG

Then were given a dessert platter that had some sort of chocolate bark, macarons, a jam thumbprint cookie and a small raspberry clafoutis. Wow. This was only the beginning of the week.

Originally, I had plans to visit DAK and Pandora, but I changed my mind and went to MK. I wanted to change my FPs, but it was down and I was directed to change my FPs at a kiosk. I decided to walk around without an agenda and ride whatever I came across. I did that for a while and decided I needed a break. I walked back to BLT, re-centered myself and called an Uber to Epcot via Beach Club.

This Uber driver...I just had spent the past 15 minutes "recharging my batteries" in a quiet place. She pulled up with her radio blaring and the bass turned way up. It wasn't even a good stereo system. It was the one that came with the car, so it was all distorted and my seat was rumbling. o_O

I wanted to sample some of the food at F&W, but it was a madhouse. I think the fact MK was closing at 7 for a party and the F&W festival itself made for teeming mass around WS. I only sampled one item and it was Berebere beef tenderloin with pap AKA polenta/grits/mush.

fullsizeoutput_636.jpeg

The description said there were jalapeños on it, but I don't see any. It was tasty, but not mind-blowing or anything.

I went once around WS and decided enough was enough. I don't fare well with large crowds and I found myself looking forward to getting on the Dream the following day, which is a more relaxed atmosphere.

I got another interesting Uber driver on the way back, too. He asked me where I was from and I told him where I am currently living (NJ). He then launched into this crazy story. He then told me he was Marine who came across this woman on the side of the road who had been put out of a car by her boyfriend. She was trying to get home to Camden, NJ. He drove her from Daytona to Camden and got into a fight with "ten dudes" when he got there and "they will never forget " him. Then he told me I should get my son to join the Marines and not other branches of the Armed Forces, because they are ":cat::cat::cat:." I was kind of uncomfortable. I made sure there was a handle to open the door and I wasn't driving with a wannabe Ted Bundy. It was the longest Uber ride ever.

After that, I walked around the Contemporary grounds. It was a beautiful evening. I sat on a chair and listened to the water of Bay Lake lap at the sand. It was mesmerizing. I didn't even notice all of the mosquito bites I got. :hilarious:

Later on that evening, I decided to pack up my things for embarkation the following day. As I was doing that, I heard this cheesy music, so I looked out the patio door. It was the Electrical Water Pageant.

Sea Creature Float
IMG_0868.JPG

I had a photo of Stars and Stripes, too. But I guess it didn't come over to my laptop. Hmmm.

But it was a cute ending to the evening. I was really looking forward to getting on the ship, because I felt I could finally relax.

There are more food photos coming yet. I didn't eat much at WDW. I was saving myself for the cruise. -_-

Sans Souci

Original Poster
Embarkation Day
Monday, Sept. 25

Finally, the main event is here. After a 6 AM start, I made my way to The Wave for an uninspired breakfast of an egg white frittata. There is no photo of it, but you're not missing anything.

After rounding up my luggage, I went down to the porte cochère to be greeted by this behemoth.
IMG_1844.JPG

Classy, yes? I wish I'd taken photos of the interior, because that was next level. It was awesome. But it was a fun ride and we were at Port Canaveral before we knew it.

I forgot to "check in" on my designated day and I remembered a few weeks before the cruise. So, we were boarding group 17 and we didn't board until 12:15. I was fine with that, because I boarded just as it was time to have lunch at Enchanted Garden. Nothing really appealed to me, so I ordered some sort of beef thing "medium rare."

IMG_0871.JPG

It was ok. It wasn't my favorite meal, probably because I am not a big meat eater!

After lunch was done, the rooms were open. So I made my way upstairs. I booked a "Deluxe Oceanview Room with Verandah (5C)." I think it's a comfortable size for two people.

IMG_0874.JPG

I got the bed this year. ;). There is also a couch that converts into a bed, which is also very cozy, too. I didn't take a photo of that, since my roommate was doing her thing and I didn't want to make her move out of the way for photos and what not.

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

The nice thing about this type of room is the split bathroom. The shower/bath and sink are in one room and the toilet and sink are another room. That's very convenient when you're sharing a room.

After the Sail Away party, we had a little soirée with Minnie.
IMG_0881.JPG

After we'd been sailing for a bit, the captain made an announcement that we'd be experiencing "turbulence" from 6-10 PM. It was actually more like 6-11PM. It was interesting walking around and the choppiness made some people unwell. I was fine until I ate dinner. After dinner, I felt a little off.

Anyway, tonight was dinner at Royal Palace. I only ordered a starter and an entree and I only got a photo of the starter. My dinner was the last to come out after a brief wait and I didn't want to keep everyone waiting so they could begin eating. So here is my starter of shrimp with a bit of lobster.

IMG_0883.JPG

The shrimp were not deveined. :mad:

My dinner was lovely. It was an Ahi Tuna Salade Niçoise. My server kept telling me it was a salad and not suitable for dinner. :rolleyes: It was actually perfect for an evening of choppiness. The rocking back and forth throughout dinner was making me drowsy, so I called it a night and returned to my stateroom. And when I returned, this cheeky fellow was on my bed.
IMG_0884.JPG

On Disney cruises, your room gets cleaned twice a day! We had an amazing stateroom host, Norman, this cruise.They come in while you're eating breakfast and then again during dinner. That curtain in the background separates the space between the bed and couch. So, you and your roommate(s) have a little bit of privacy at night.

But, back to the choppiness. It was wonderful for sleeping, but I could feel my dinner sloshing back and forth until I drifted off. :hungover:

Tomorrow: Nassau (yay).

freesvoice

Following along as I know nothing about Disney cruises and would like to learn more.

Sorry to backtrack for a second but how was the illuminations fireworks cruise? Would you recommend it or do it again?

Thanks, looking forward to reading more! Hope your dinner stayed down :eek:

Sans Souci

Original Poster
Sorry to backtrack for a second but how was the illuminations fireworks cruise? Would you recommend it or do it again?

I would do it again as a group. I feel like it's one of those things that is more fun with friends, but I could see how it would appeal to couples. I wouldn't discourage someone from doing it. It's 90 minutes and the "boat driver" tosses out resort trivia and asks little quiz-type questions. It is $350+tax and tip.

I guess when you make reservations, you're told you can't bring your own adult beverages. But when we got the marina, the boat dude encouraged us to get a drink from the bar or to purchase some booze in the Yacht Club. He just told us as long we kept it in moderation. So, there is nothing stopping you from getting a dozen cupcakes from Publix or a nice bottle of wine or champagne and bringing them on the boat. In fact, there was a birthday party on one of the pontoons and they had done exactly that.

Honestly, the only thing I didn't like about it was the view of Illuminations. It's not the worst view, but I just prefer watching it on land. :)

Sans Souci

Original Poster
Oh my--when did you notice that--before you took a few bites, I hope!

I like the tile design in the bathroom. Colorful, yet not overpowering.

Minnie looked very professional in her cruise uniform. :happy:

I could see the veins. I always check for veins. LOL

I love Minnie's Cruise Line outfit. I was on the Magic a couple of years ago and it was formal night. She and Mickey had formal wear on. They looked like they were from the late 20s- early 30s. She had this silver, sparkly gown on and Mickey had a tux with spats. It was too cute. I wish I had a photo of that.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Embarkation Day
Monday, Sept. 25

Finally, the main event is here. After a 6 AM start, I made my way to The Wave for an uninspired breakfast of an egg white frittata. There is no photo of it, but you're not missing anything.

After rounding up my luggage, I went down to the porte cochère to be greeted by this behemoth.
View attachment 235532

Classy, yes? I wish I'd taken photos of the interior, because that was next level. It was awesome. But it was a fun ride and we were at Port Canaveral before we knew it.

I forgot to "check in" on my designated day and I remembered a few weeks before the cruise. So, we were boarding group 17 and we didn't board until 12:15. I was fine with that, because I boarded just as it was time to have lunch at Enchanted Garden. Nothing really appealed to me, so I ordered some sort of beef thing "medium rare."

View attachment 235533

It was ok. It wasn't my favorite meal, probably because I am not a big meat eater!

After lunch was done, the rooms were open. So I made my way upstairs. I booked a "Deluxe Oceanview Room with Verandah (5C)." I think it's a comfortable size for two people.

View attachment 235534
I got the bed this year. ;). There is also a couch that converts into a bed, which is also very cozy, too. I didn't take a photo of that, since my roommate was doing her thing and I didn't want to make her move out of the way for photos and what not.

View attachment 235535

View attachment 235537

The nice thing about this type of room is the split bathroom. The shower/bath and sink are in one room and the toilet and sink are another room. That's very convenient when you're sharing a room.

After the Sail Away party, we had a little soirée with Minnie.
View attachment 235538

After we'd been sailing for a bit, the captain made an announcement that we'd be experiencing "turbulence" from 6-10 PM. It was actually more like 6-11PM. It was interesting walking around and the choppiness made some people unwell. I was fine until I ate dinner. After dinner, I felt a little off.

Anyway, tonight was dinner at Royal Palace. I only ordered a starter and an entree and I only got a photo of the starter. My dinner was the last to come out after a brief wait and I didn't want to keep everyone waiting so they could begin eating. So here is my starter of shrimp with a bit of lobster.

View attachment 235539
The shrimp were not deveined. :mad:

My dinner was lovely. It was an Ahi Tuna Salade Niçoise. My server kept telling me it was a salad and not suitable for dinner. :rolleyes: It was actually perfect for an evening of choppiness. The rocking back and forth throughout dinner was making me drowsy, so I called it a night and returned to my stateroom. And when I returned, this cheeky fellow was on my bed.
View attachment 235540

On Disney cruises, your room gets cleaned twice a day! We had an amazing stateroom host, Norman, this cruise.They come in while you're eating breakfast and then again during dinner. That curtain in the background separates the space between the bed and couch. So, you and your roommate(s) have a little bit of privacy at night.

But, back to the choppiness. It was wonderful for sleeping, but I could feel my dinner sloshing back and forth until I drifted off. :hungover:

Tomorrow: Nassau (yay).

I did take a couple of pics of the interior of that conveyance, including one of the bracket where the pole had been removed--I sent that one to my husband asking if he was surprised that I was voted most likely to have made use of the pole if it was there. :oops: Everyone knows I like to dance, but I like to think I'd draw the line before a pole. :joyfull:

Lunch and dinner at the Wave are good, but you're absolutely right about their breakfast--uninspired is exactly the word.

There's something to be said for taking pictures of one's meals. I honestly cannot remember what I had for lunch in Enchanted Garden (ETA: it was not the beef). I know I had the escargot for a starter at dinner, but no idea what was my entrée.

The turbulence made walking around the ship an adventure, that's for sure!

Sans Souci

Original Poster
I did take a couple of pics of the interior of that conveyance, including one of the bracket where the pole had been removed--I sent that one to my husband asking if he was surprised that I was voted most likely to have made use of the pole if it was there. :oops: Everyone knows I like to dance, but I like to think I'd draw the line before a pole. :joyfull:

Lunch and dinner at the Wave are good, but you're absolutely right about their breakfast--uninspired is exactly the word.

There's something to be said for taking pictures of one's meals. I honestly cannot remember what I had for lunch in Enchanted Garden (ETA: it was not the beef). I know I had the escargot for a starter at dinner, but no idea what was my entrée.

The turbulence made walking around the ship an adventure, that's for sure!

I wanted to get a photo of the champagne flute cut outs with the LED lights that were in between the windows. I loved the "decor," I'm laughing thinking about it all (and kicking myself for not getting photos.).

I don't think I'd want to get near a pole on a party bus, either. I'm glad the driver removed it. It's probably a public health hazard. :hilarious:

Sans Souci

Original Poster
Nassau
Sept.26

Nassau--what can I say? Not much, really. It's not a favorite of mine, so I typically stay on the ship. The weather turned out to be less than clement, anyway. It was cloudy and it rained a lot, so they shut all the pools down, even my beloved Satellite Falls in the adult area. That was my original plan for the day. :'( I just scoped out the ship and took photos of the Halloween decos. This cruise is billed as "Halloween on the High Seas."

IMG_0890.JPG

The Halloween tree
IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

After the storm moved away and we departed, I saw this:
IMG_0893.JPG

Halloween parties tonight, for children and adults alike:
fullsizeoutput_63c.jpeg

They make it sound so salacious, don't they? :hilarious:

I did make a Halloween costume and I dressed up for dinner in my costume.

Speaking of dinner, it was Animator's Palate. The Animator's Palate, how terribly clever....

This dinner was very slow. We were seated nightly at 8:15 and we're usually done in an hour. This was just over 2 hours. I don't know if they were short staffed somewhere down the line, but dinner dragged on and on. I felt badly for our server, because he was hustling around and he could probably feel our hangry stares. :bored: He was sweating profusely and his white shirt was stained with food splatters.

I ordered a starter of Black Truffle Pasta Pursiettes. I always get this when I eat here.:inlove:
IMG_0900.JPG

Then, my main of Grilled Tuna Steak came out--eventually.
fullsizeoutput_63b.jpeg

It was cold and a bit overcooked my liking. I know I could have asked for another one without an issue, but I really didn't want to wait for it.

I had plans to watch"Match Your Mate" and the Halloween party, but at the last minute, I lost desire to do both. I am surprised, because I love the Halloween party and the dancing involved. I just wasn't feeling it that night. :oops:

Instead, my roommate and me stopped by the Bon Voyage bar and took our drinks up to our room, where we chatted on our verandah.

Next Stop: Castaway Cay and dinner at Palo. :cat:

Sans Souci

Original Poster
I'm glad you enjoyed the Brunch at the Top. We're doing it again in November! :geek:

That's awesome. I loved it! I know it's costly, but you just have to view it as a treat. I usually go to afternoon tea when I go to WDW, but I think I will do this instead when I visit. It's about the same in cost, but this is a way better deal.

Sans Souci

Original Poster
Castaway Cay
Sept. 26

Castaway Cay is the highlight of the four night cruise on the Dream. This year, I decided to do the Castaway Cay 5K, so I began the day with a double espresso at the Cove Cafe (in the adult only area) and made my way down to Evolution to be herded to the "starting line." I'd never done this, but I thought we'd start the 5K somewhere near the ship. No. It was probably 10 minute walk to the starting line. It was about 8:30 AM and it was hot and humid already. The course itself was boring. You basically go around this never-ending loop that is lined with thick island brush that doesn't allow airflow--and you have to go around it twice. :depressed: But I finished and I got a "medal." for my effort. :happy:

fullsizeoutput_682.jpeg

After the 5K, we walked to the cabana we'd rented.
IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

This was the "double wide" cabana; it is twice the size of a regular cabana. I didn't take interior photos, because privacy. But there is a table that seats eight (I think), a sofa and a few chairs. The deck has a few sun loungers and a few chairs.

From the cabana, we could see the Dream
fullsizeoutput_67d.jpeg

The only thing I don't like about Castaway Cay is the food. It's not horrible, but I don't care for it. It's burgers, spicy chicken sandwiches, ribs, potato salad, cole slaw--bbq, basically. But I didn't eat breakfast and did the 5K, so I was a little less fussy. :p

After lounging in the water and eating, I became tired and began to fall asleep in the cabana. :hilarious: I decided to walk around and take some photos to wake up. I didn't get to take photos before the run, because I didn't have my phone with me.

The post office. If you send a post card from here, the recipient might get it in 6-8 weeks.
IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

As I was walking around, I realized I was closer to the ship than to the cabana. Honestly, I felt gross and slimy from the sweaty 5K and then putting sunscreen on over that. :depressed: I decided to call it a day and head back in. I showered as soon as I got back into my room.

But first, a view of Castaway Cay from my verandah.
IMG_0914.JPG

I walked from the tip of the island to the ship. My Fitbit clocked ~ 20K steps by the end of the day.

Coming up: Palo (all food photos) I could not fit them here because of the 10 photo limit. :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'd never done this, but I thought we'd start the 5K somewhere near the ship. No. It was probably 10 minute walk to the starting line. It was about 8:30 AM and it was hot and humid already. The course itself was boring. You basically go around this never-ending loop that is lined with thick island brush that doesn't allow airflow--and you have to go around it twice. :depressed: But I finished and I got a "medal." for my effort. :happy:

And now you know why that run is "one and done"!! :)

The only thing I don't like about Castaway Cay is the food.

Same. I always swear I'm going to go back to the ship for lunch. Although this year, the spicy chicken sandwich was pretty good.

Sans Souci

Original Poster
And now you know why that run is "one and done"!! :)

Same. I always swear I'm going to go back to the ship for lunch. Although this year, the spicy chicken sandwich was pretty good.

I might do it again, I'll bring some music. I feel like I earn my Palo dinner when I do it. LOL

I always get the chicken sandwich (sans bun) cut it up, mix it into the couscous and top it with salsa.

Next year, I'll go back on the ship for lunch, per your recommendation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom