Trip Report A wacky trip gone awry, but still magical

My two housemates and I have done a bunch of WDW/Disneyland trips as tour guides for newbies and family members over the past few years, and after two trips in a row corralling 12-14 people from multiple households, we decided we needed a 'just us' trip. So we planned out eight days at two resorts we'd always wanted to stay at: four at Bay Lake Tower, then four at the Polynesian. Lots of free time for backstage tours, dinners, Trader Sam's, and just relaxing at the pool.

The first three days were terrific: Keys to the Kingdom, Behind the Seeds, and Undiscovered Future World tours, and a great dinner at California Grill. But on the day we packed up and moved over to the Polynesian, one of my travel companions started feeling wiped out and complained of lots of stomach acid; in a cute moment, a cast member overheard him say that and sent two cans of ginger ale and a plate of crackers up to the room, handed to me by a CM saying "For your acid!"

He soldiered on but halfway through Day 4 took a break, feeling worse and worse, and by the evening was throwing up and having all sorts of tummy trouble. Day 5, it hit me too, and we were both out of commission for a day and a half with stomach flu. I started getting better, but his progressed even further, and we wound up calling the first responders to get him to Celebration Hospital by Reedy Creek ambulance, where he stayed overnight.

Disaster, right? Well, besides handling the whole ambulance situation for us, WDW stepped up in other ways. The Polynesian lobby called to offer anything we needed after hearing that a guest had been taken to the hospital, and Guest Services texted me to offer Golden FastPasses once he was released and on his feet again. Our trip was definitely cut short (lots of ADRs cancelled, never felt remotely up to a Trader Sam's visit, and far more time spent sitting in the room than I expected) but Disney did their best to help our brief time in the parks as good as it could be.

Otterhead

Original Poster
Wow, how unfortunate but glad that Disney stepped up to help you out.
They really did --- even the random CM that saw me panicking at Epcot. She was just one of the temp employees for the Arts festival, but stepped right into action and called the first responders. When I thanked her, she said "no problem, I work as a lifeguard when I'm not here, so I'm trained for this kind of thing."

On the plus side, I got more down-time than I expected at the Polynesian, and that's easily my favorite resort on property now -- can't wait to return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom