A Valentine's Day idea for helping others

prberk

Original Poster
I was talking to a teenager from church last night who is not dating anyone this year, and the thought came to me: wouldn't it be nice to go to the nursing home on Valentine's Day and give out roses to the ladies there who had lost their husbands? So, we decided that we are going to that. I am picking him up after work, and we are going to go do that.

I thought I would share the idea here.

We often think to go caroling at the nursing home at Christmas, but I have never thought about the widows (and even the widowers) on Valentine's Day.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I was talking to a teenager from church last night who is not dating anyone this year, and the thought came to me: wouldn't it be nice to go to the nursing home on Valentine's Day and give out roses to the ladies there who had lost their husbands? So, we decided that we are going to that. I am picking him up after work, and we are going to go do that.

We often think to go caroling at the nursing home at Christmas, but I have never thought about the widows (and even the widowers) on Valentine's Day.
I think that's a great idea and a very nice gesture.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

What a sweet gesture!!! The ladies will love it!!

Interesting, I just had a flashback to something my grandmother used to tell us. She said that if we ever feel down in the dumps, to go and do something nice for someone else. By brightening up someone else's day with a gesture of kindness, that will in turn, brighten up your day as well. :)

Happy Valentine's Day to you and the teenager from your church group.

KellBelle

What a lovely thing to do! My mom was in a nursing home towards the end of her life and some of the residents never had anyone ever come and visit or do anything, it was sad. I am sure the thought would be loved by all!

prberk

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. It turned out to be a hit. All of the ladies wanted a rose. A local florist actually donated the roses. I had asked if they had anything left over that I could buy, and since they knew what I was doing, they donated them. They were various colors other than red, but that worked anyway. The ladies mostly wanted the white roses it seemed.

One lady was 102 years old. I asked if I could take a picture with her (not for social media, of course, due to privacy), and she said yes and got her hairbrush out and "gussied up" a little for our selfie.

There were really not any other visitors there that we saw. It was definitely a good idea.

I think I have a new tradition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom