A Top 40 Countdown of Disney's Heroines.

Wonderlands

Original Poster
Though I'm only eighteen years old, Disney has been in my life since the day I was born. Ever since my parents decorated my room in a Winnie the Pooh theme and gave me my first stuffed Mickey Mouse. Disney was the most frequent staple in my childhood, and it's still there today. Disney has become my passion, inspiration, and dream.

About a year ago I did a rewatch of most Disney films, and I thought to myself, I really want to jot down my feelings on one of the most beloved aspects of a Disney film, the heroines.

Whether they be princess, peasant, animal, human, adult, or child these animated ladies have dug their way into our hearts and imprinted their stories and traits into our minds since the day we saw them grace across the screen. (Well most of them anyways.)

This countdown will consist of forty animated ladies from Disney's 53 animated classics, from Snow White to Frozen. I will however note that this list will not contain any villains, or heroines from Disney Pixar films, as those will be saved for future countdowns.

I would also like to point out that this is not a favorites list. Though some biased thoughts may be inserted into some of my explanations, this list will not be in the order I'd rank them based on how much I personally love them. For an example, Belle is my favorite Disney princess and heroine in general, but that doesn't mean she's going to be number one on this list.

Without further ado, join me on this magical carpet ride as we look at a countdown of Disney's forty most notable heroines!

Wonderlands

Original Poster
These first two heroines can really be swapped around, as they both come from the same film, and they're not much different from each other.

40/39. Duchess and Marie from the Aristocats (1970)

tumblr_mgu7t3W7q11runifxo4_250.gif

Another point I'd like to make before giving my thoughts on these two is that even though they rank the lowest doesn't mean I don't like them and that I don't find them to be good heroines. I just find them to not be AS good as others. I love both Duchess and Marie for different reasons, just not in a heroic sense.

Anyways, I think I should start with Duchess seeing how she's the mother. Duchess right away is shown to be our leading lady, from being adored by her lovable owner, to being the responsible mother of her three kittens, and her blooming love with Thomas O'Malley. I will give Duchess credit where its due, and that credit goes to her love for her children and her owner. However, when it comes to the conflict of the movie when she and her kittens are abducted her exact words to her children were;

"Well, darlings, I-- I just don't know. It does look hopeless, doesn't it?"

I'm not saying that it's wrong to be a hopeless mother, because let's face it, their situation was looking pretty grim. Another reason why she will not be listed higher is because she doesn't exactly do anything to help when something bad happens to go wrong. Her daughter getting left behind or her family getting locked into a safe for example. Those scenes all went to Thomas O'Malley and Roquefort. Though I do love Duchess for her brilliant voice acting and her loving scenes with her family, Duchess doesn't scream Disney Heroine to me.

Moving onto Marie, there really isn't much to say in regards to her, she's the only daughter of Duchess and she's wants to be like her mother and loves to stand her ground to her two brothers. She loves romantic things or "sissy stuff" as her brother would call it, and it's clear that she loves the adventure they received during her movie. I do believe that Marie could definitely hold her own as a hardcore alley cat along with her brothers (under the watchful eye of Duchess and Thomas of course) but she's too young and too small to do much in her respective film to be classified as heroic. Especially since most of her scenes consist of her being saved by Thomas O'Malley.

Now there we have it, the first two done on my countdown. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts, whether your agree of disagree with my statements and reasonings, let me know!

Last edited:

Wonderlands

Original Poster
Your assumption is correct, this countdown will only contain heroines from the 53 Walt Disney Animated Classics. Perhaps in the future I will include her in another countdown, perhaps a countdown that only consists Disney heroines that appear outside of the 53 films? Anyways, onto the next pair.

38. Jenny Foxworth from Oliver & Company (1988)
tumblr_mhkedceUrq1qcny46o8_400.gif

Now I want to point out that though Jenny doesn't appear as much as Duchess and Marie, she however does do something somewhat heroic in her film. When she finds Oliver tied up in those wires in her butler's car, she immediately untangles him and takes him in as her own pet. This obviously contributes her to being a young lonely girl who would most definitely jump at the chance to help a kitten in need. So long story short Jenny helping Oliver and becoming fast friends with him along with showing him love was heroic in its own way.

Sure one might argue that during the whole third act of the film she's captured by the film's villain and needs saving might just make her a damsel. I just don't see that as something to disregard her love for Oliver that truly is heroic, and seeing how she is only eight years old, what could she have possibly done against a cold-hearted loan-shark with a pair of vicious dobermans?

37. Penny from The Rescuers (1977)

tumblr_inline_n76fhuv8A51rxucee.gif

Fun fact! Jenny's story in Oliver & Company was originally going to be Penny's story. Since the film was originally going to be a sequel. This is why Jenny and Penny are so similar including their rhyming names.

Now why is Penny higher on this countdown than Jenny? Well, Penny may be the person our main heroes are trying to rescue like Jenny in her film. However, Penny has one notable difference from Jenny. Penny is in the conflict from the very beginning of the film right to the end and was captured by Madame Medusa even before we meet our main heroes! So throughout the film Penny is constantly doing things to help Bernard and Miss. Bianca. Inside the cave is a particular scene that comes to mind when the cave is being filled with water and Penny always makes sure her mouse friends were safe. Penny also plays an active role in the villain's downfall, when she reminds the mice about the fireworks.

So is Penny an all-star heroine? Not really, but her role in the film's conflict and her bravery during her scenes are enough to make me call her a heroine in her own right.

Last edited:

Wonderlands

Original Poster
36. Lady Kluck from Robin Hood (1973)
tumblr_inline_n7r6esmlyV1rtebxh.gif

I want to take a moment to say that Robin Hood's leading lady will not be appearing on this list. I'm sorry to all you Maid Marian fans out there, but the reason why she is not appearing is because she doesn't do anything heroic in her actual film except for pleaing for Robin's life. However Marian's lady-in-waiting Lady Kluck is a fantastic heroine.

Watching the film as a young boy and even today Lady Kluck made a huge impression on me. She's feisty and dedicated to Maid Marian. These attributes made her my favorite character in this film. She fights the guards and the Sheriff and she even attacks Prince John during the fight. When the cowardly prince commands the guards to seize her Kluck turned into an all-star football player and mowed down guard after guard. Lady Kluck is amazing, and if you don't think so, shame on you.

35. Snow White from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
tumblr_mofvm7sdio1r61le8o7_250.gif

"
OH MY GOSH! HOW CAN YOU PUT DISNEY'S FIRST HEROINE SO LOW?!" If you're thinking this I truly apologize, but I just cannot bring myself to put Snow any higher on this countdown. She gets major props and love for being the first princess, heroine, and downright "good guy" in Disney other than Mickey and the gang of course. Snow also gets major points in my book for surviving the emotional abuse from her evil queen stepmother. Having to work as a slave in rags is just terrible for the young princess.

With that said, Snow doesn't exactly do anything else, she survives running through the woods after the huntsman lets her go free, she cleans the cottage, meets the dwarfs, sings, and then bites into a poison apple before falling under the sleeping curse and gets kissed by her prince and finally lives happily ever after. That's it, she doesn't have any heroic moments like charging through guards or thinking up fireworks as a distraction. However her ever lasting positiveness and her love and compassion while being treated as a slave is something to look up to, Snow is a heroine in her own right, and I think this is the perfect spot for Disney's original princess.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

I'd rank Snow higher. She remains incredible optimistic despite what she's been through, and she's pretty mature for a 14 year old. Further more, she's incredibly empathetic. When she thinks the inhabitants of the cottage are orphans, obviously, that strikes a chord and cues up her maternal instincts. Then, when she learns the dwarfs live there, she stands her own. Think about it- these centuries old magical creatures of the earth yield to the will of a 14-year old girl. That's impressive.

Wonderlands

Original Poster
34. The Blue Fairy from Pinocchio (1939)
tumblr_mbnc7t2egL1rfj55oo3_250.gif

The beautiful fairy that gives Pinocchio his chance and a life, as well as giving Jiminy his gold badge. She represents all things good and pure, by telling the little puppet made of pine to be brave, truthful, and unselfish. Though Blue doesn't appear in the film for very long she's a staple in Disney, for she once had a part in Disney's electrical parade, and she still is one of the hosts of Wishes the fireworks show at Magic Kingdom. Her voice rings in our minds as she tells us all to put our hearts together and made a wish come true. She's a classic Disney character, and a classic heroine.

33. Lady from Lady and the Tramp (1955)
tumblr_n6b25bhaOF1sm0goeo1_500.gif

From the moment we see Lady come out of that box our hearts melted. She was adorable, and her love for her owners was astounding. However the moment where I knew she was a true heroine was her new love and protectiveness of her owner's newborn baby. She wasn't jealous, she wanted to protect the child with all her might, and she did! She did her best to keep those pesky Siamese cats out of the baby's room, and if she hadn't met her love Tramp then who knows what would have happened if that rat did anything to that baby? Lady's heroics may not have been as obvious as Lady Kluck's, but it was shown through her bravery when it came to protecting her loved ones.

Last edited:

Wonderlands

Original Poster
32. Aurora/Briar Rose from Sleeping Beauty (1959)
tumblr_n01lkhXKGq1r5wq9uo1_500.gif

Another classic princess bites the dust. Now, Aurora happens to be my favorite Disney princess design-wise. Even when she's walking around in the forest barefoot she just looks so regal, poise, and elegant. Her character design was just fit to be a princess. However, these attributes do not make her a top notch heroine. Though her belief and hope of finding someone once upon a dream is inspiring and heroic in its own right, Aurora is asleep for the whole third act of the film and sadly doesn't get any chance to do anything groundbreaking. She doesn't necessarily do anything heroic, but her tale and her being imprinted into our minds makes her a very well-liked heroine. I love Aurora for many reasons, but heroics is not one of them.

31. Alice from Alice in Wonderland (1951)
tumblr_mvcv77MDtM1r9bdlbo4_250.gif

One of the things I like most about Alice is that she actually tries to help the colorful characters of Wonderland even if they're not so helpful themselves. She tries to help the card soldiers paint the roses red, and she even feels bad for Bill the lizard. She also attempts to help the White Rabbit even though he continues to screams at her and call her "Mary Anne."

Watching the film you can't help but to hope for Alice to find her way out of Wonderland's nonsense filled world. And the best part of this story is Alice's lesson, which is basically 'Be careful what you wish for.' Though Alice doesn't do anything outrageously heroic, she still keeps a level head (for the most part) during her experience and will always remain a classic Disney heroine for years to come.

Last edited:

Wonderlands

Original Poster
30. Wendy Darling from Peter Pan (1953)
tumblr_n2198xX7lW1r3z3gbo1_500.gif

Like Alice, Wendy doesn't do anything outright heroic during her film. She does however spark feelings buried deep within the lost boys who all miss their mothers. She stood up to those jealous mermaids, and her loving spirit while being there for her brothers is another example of a loving heroine. She doesn't fight, but she inspires and still remains to be a popular Disney character and heroine.

29. Princess Eilonwy from The Black Cauldron (1985)
tumblr_n2udl2Wkz11sg0a6co1_400.gif

Like a lot of people, I'm not the biggest fan of The Black Cauldron, but that was actually because I didn't like our hero very much. Taran annoyed me so much that I just couldn't root for him. However I did like two things about the movie. The villain and the heroine. Eilonwy was actually the first Disney heroine to downright save their love interest, with her magical bauble she saves Taran along with the other character who's so irrelevant I can't even remember his name from the Horned King's dungeon. She stands up to Taran's misogynist words and reminds him that it was HER that saved HIM. Eilonwy could have been amazing if we just learned more about her, she was intelligent and kept my attention. She's a true heroine.

Last edited:

morningstar

Eilonwy could have been amazing if we just learned more about her, she was intelligent and kept my attention. She's a true heroine.

Read the book(s) and you can find out a lot about her. As I recall, there was even one in the series in which she's the central character.

RubyLee

Read the book(s) and you can find out a lot about her. As I recall, there was even one in the series in which she's the central character.
The Castle of Llyr in the Chronicles of Prydain series is very Eilonwy focused. The movie does a decent job of capturing her personality...but, naturally, she's more fully developed (and awesome) in the books!!!

Wonderlands

Original Poster
I might read those after I finish the Kingdom Keepers series! Thank you for your feedback.

28. Tinker Bell from Peter Pan (1953)
tumblr_mfelei1Ph61rkzusmo3_250.gif

Ah yes. Disney's most famous lady only behind Minnie. Tinker Bell has become one of Disney's most notable characters. Though the character was not created by Disney himself, his adaptation is really the only version people picture when they think of the character now. She's feisty and so much fun to watch. Though originally she was sort of a secondary antagonist since she tries to take down our leading lady Wendy, and she's not short of showing her dislike to the girl at the beginning. Tinker Bell redeems herself when she warns Peter about the bomb making her a heroine in her own right. Her fairy dust makes the Jolly Roger fly at the end and we all smile when the Darlings, Peter Pan, and Tink all fly off into the night sky. Recently Tinker Bell has gotten even more famous with her own brand of films and products centered around her life before Peter with her fairy friends.

27. Terk from Tarzan (1999)

tumblr_min87cB1vC1s5cciro1_500.gif

Rosie O'Donnell provides the voice to this adrenaline-hyped and musical gorilla. She is Tarzan's best friend and she along with Tantor actually help save the day when Terk wears Jane's dress to get Kerchak's attention leading him away from the group. Her loyalty to our hero and her acceptance of Jane and her father at the end make her an admirable character. Her song that she plays with Tantor and the other gorillas is also just downright catchy.

Wonderlands

Original Poster
Phil Collins is a musical masterpiece in general.

26. Helga Sinclair from Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
tumblr_inline_n78iu9pB6v1qbt9yg.gif

I don't have a lot to say on Helga sadly. Though originally the secondary antagonist of the film, Helga redeems herself when Rourke throws her off the balloon and betrays her, however the blonde she-devil survives the fall and with her (presumed) final breath, utters the words "Nothing personal." and shoots a hole into the balloon, stopping Rourke. Though it's never confirmed that she died in the end, Disney hasn't confirmed her survival either, so we can just assume that she perished. Helga was just an awesome character overall. Her no nonsense attitude was charming in its own way and her final heroic actions were more than enough to redeem her in my eyes, and apparently many others.

25. Audrey Ramirez from Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
tumblr_inline_n1jiimmZZk1qgros0.gif

Another Atlantis lady down for the count, and I have even less to say about her than Helga. So why does Audrey deserve to be higher than Helga? Well she's a hero throughout her whole movie, she's feisty and her design is amazing. She's one of the first to realize her actions were wrong and sides with the Atlanteans. She's a great mechanic and and overall amazing character, and she gains a well-deserved reward at the end of the film for her aid in saving Atlantis.

Matt_Black

I'm going to disagree on Helga, as I don't think her final actions were motivated by altruism. I highly doubt if she had kicked Roarke out of the balloon instead of vice versa that she was just going to turn around and hand Kida back to the Atlanteans. Roarke had decided that only one of them could get the payday, and Helga, though mad, was thinking turnabout's fairplay so it might as well be her getting paid. Similarly, firing at the end seemed more a final act of vengeance than anything noble.

Certainly, her actions helped everyone, but I don't think there was any good will or honorable intentions behind them.

Wonderlands

Original Poster
Your reasons are very valid. Maybe I got a little biased there for Helga, feel free to put someone else in that spot in your own mind though!

24. Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
tumblr_mg4sl2nriV1rlwe72o1_500.gif

I admit that when I first started to watch Wreck-It Ralph I wasn't a fan of Vanellope, but as the plot became more clearer I began to love this little spitfire. My heart was crushed when she had to watch Ralph break her kart and when she finally races and ultimately saves Ralph I was smiling with satisfaction. She's absolutely adorable and she can handle her own. A wonderful and refreshing addition to the Disney canon, a very welcome change to our prior 'kid' characters.

23. Nala from The Lion King (1994)
tumblr_maq8d0UyBy1ra2r9jo1_500.gif

Though Nala doesn't do anything that is outrageously heroic in her film she does do something. She is the one that ran off to look for help for her pride, and ultimately found Simba, and though she says she'd help in the final battle we don't exactly see her fight those hyenas, though it is heavily implied that she did along with the other lionesses. She's just a likable character and heroine who sadly doesn't get a lot of her own time to shine.

Wonderlands

Original Poster
22. Jane Porter from Tarzan (1999)
tumblr_inline_n7ccszlN551rauhqn.gif

Ah. I can't explain how much I love this movie and this character, but I'll try to keep it short. Jane is absolutely amazing, she's smart, she's fun to watch, her mannerisms and voice acting are absolutely fantastic. She's just a wonderful and enjoyable character. My favorite moment is when she (attempts) to fight off those monkeys with her umbrella. Her and Tarzan's love is so well shown and beautiful, and even though she doesn't succeed in stopping Clayton, she does try her best. Jane is great.

21. Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather from Sleeping Beauty (1959)
tumblr_m4jrhgqgYH1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

Although it really is their faults that Aurora got exposed and ended up under the curse, they did their best to fix their mistakes. They rescue Prince Philip, protect him as he flees Maleficent's castle and even help kill Maleficent by enchanting Philip's sword. They were honestly the real main characters of the film, as they had the most screen time, and they were just fun to watch. Flora and Merryweather's constant bickering was enjoyable to an extent, and Fauna was just a sweetheart. These three will always be my personal favorite Disney fairies.

Wonderlands

Original Poster
We're down to the top twenty, so half way through this countdown. Where will these twenty ladies rank? Keep reading to find out!
Amelia_zpsf5e37390.gif
Anna_zpsf63913fa.gif
Calhoun_zps4bdf05f7.gif
Ariel_zps256d46a5.gif
Charlotte_zpsbc735025.gif
Belle_zps37e5f7e3.gif
Bianca_zps79c66137.gif
Cinderella_zps23dceb5d.gif
Esmeralda_zpsb76e48b6.gif
Kida_zps80581081.gif
Jasmine_zps3b832759.gif
Lilo_zps1894bdac.gif
Chicha_zps678023ba.gif
Elsa_zps214a9fa6.gif
Megara_zps63b834e8.gif
mulan_zpsb8593754.gif
Pocahontas_zps24cf40ae.gif
Nani_zpsb0770ec3.gif
Rapunzel_zps5df4baa7.gif
Tiana_zpsc80965a3.gif
Where do you think they will rank?

Matt_Black

No Spring Sprite from Fantasia 2000? Shenanigans! ;)

Seriously, while most of your top 20 seems good, and I'm tickled pink to see Captain Amelia, Calhoun, and Kida there, some seem to be rated ridiculously high. Charlotte and Pacha's wife getting higher than Nala or Jane? Heck, I'd rank Frannie from Meet the Robinsons higher than Charlotte or Mrs. Pacha.

On the plus side, you didn't rank Maggie the Cow from Home on the Range. Eesh. What a film. Thankfully it had the rabbit and a killer soundtrack to keep it from being an animated Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom