A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Bairstow

IDW is a comic producer, makes most ghostbusters, judge dredd, TMNT and many other comic series that are not fit for your usual DC and Marvel brands. Also sells TV show productions to streaming companies. Which seems to be helping them in maintaining their business despite the physical comic book market shrinking.
So they don't actually own the properties they write comics about? Seems like they couldn't be a player in the theme park business because they don't have any IP to sell.

Cesar R M

So they don't actually own the properties they write comics about? Seems like they couldn't be a player in the theme park business because they don't have any IP to sell.
They do have a big repertorie. Hence why they sell stories.
Like Wynonna Earp..started as comic..is now on Syfy as TV show.

Animaniac93-98

Given the box office success of the sequel and the fact that R&D is already done, I think WDW's ToT may still close for the makeover. After Star Wars opens in 2019, Disney would have the park capacity necessary to have the ride down for an extended period (the only reason this hasn't happened yet), as well as an adequate distraction for closing the park's former headliner. Like DCA, they could start work before the ride actually closes, and then reopen it in time for the third movie, which is speculated to be released in 2020.

I know Guardians is still being considered for UoE, but it would be so much easier and less expensive for Disney to hype the positive reviews of Mission: Breakout! in California and justify that for changing the ride. Retheme RnRC to something else, paint Sunset Blvd another colour and you got a quick fix "Marvel Land" for the park.

Not that I would want any of this to happen, but it's easier for me to believe than Disney opting to spend big $ on a completely different GotG ride.

Kman101

If they actually cared about extra capacity for the park they wouldn't be closing GMR in August for the Mickey ride. I know it's been said they didn't want BOTH GMR and ToT down but still ...

I remain hopeful GoTG won't invade Florida's Tower. It could be a tipping point for me, tbh ...

BrianLo

Given the box office success of the sequel and the fact that R&D is already done, I think WDW's ToT may still close for the makeover. After Star Wars opens in 2019, Disney would have the park capacity necessary to have the ride down for an extended period (the only reason this hasn't happened yet), as well as an adequate distraction for closing the park's former headliner. Like DCA, they could start work before the ride actually closes, and then reopen it in time for the third movie, which is speculated to be released in 2020.

I know Guardians is still being considered for UoE, but it would be so much easier and less expensive for Disney to hype the positive reviews of Mission: Breakout! in California and justify that for changing the ride. Retheme RnRC to something else, paint Sunset Blvd another colour and you got a quick fix "Marvel Land" for the park.

Not that I would want any of this to happen, but it's easier for me to believe than Disney opting to spend big $ on a completely different GotG ride.

Logistically, I still think this won't happen. DHS still has serious capacity issues and no need to 'fix' something that is already popular. DCA's problem is more sustaining attendance than out and out capacity.

It was also largely motivated by getting Marvel into DCA quickly. The fastest way to get something into DHS is still a new build at this point. With the Mickey ride forthcoming I really don't think the park can handle ToT also offline, meaning they wouldn't be able to realistically tackle this until 2020... if Star Wars hasn't created more capacity issues than it adds.

I've always been on the doubtful train for this at WDW though. Too many hurdles.

Animaniac93-98

Logistically, I still think this won't happen. DHS still has serious capacity issues and no need to 'fix' something that is already popular. DCA's problem is more sustaining attendance than out and out capacity.

It was also largely motivated by getting Marvel into DCA quickly. The fastest way to get something into DHS is still a new build at this point. With the Mickey ride forthcoming I really don't think the park can handle ToT also offline, meaning they wouldn't be able to realistically tackle this until 2020... if Star Wars hasn't created more capacity issues than it adds.

I've always been on the doubtful train for this at WDW though. Too many hurdles.

The timeframe I would see this happening is Januray 2 2020 - May 1 2020 (the first Marvel release date for the year, not necessarily GotG3).

It's about a month shorter than DCA, but the R&D is already done.

By that time Star Wars, Playland and Mickey would be done based on current timelines.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Disney needs more attractions in its third gate, period. Taking away GMR is so stupid. A couple of low capacity carnie rides in TSL and a couple of mid-capacity, going to be mindblowingly popular E-Tix in SW still leaves the park a mess with not nearly enough to do.

EDIT TO ADD: That also includes the MM ride. ... Even with all of the above, this park will be woefully short of things to do. Unless, you just want to gawk at details in the SWE. My guess is there's only so much of that OCD component before people want more attractions. And there is nothing major at all being planned yet when all of this is done. Plenty in blue sky and such.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Disney needs more attractions in its third gate, period. Taking away GMR is so stupid. A couple of low capacity carnie rides in TSL and a couple of mid-capacity, going to be mindblowingly popular E-Tix in SW still leaves the park a mess with not nearly enough to do.

Totally agreed. I feel like DHS just settled with Star Wars being good enough and forgot they still have an entire park that needs serious fixing. What has happened to all the entertainment refreshes? Will Fantasmic just further languish? It's like they got distracted by the mess of Epcot and gave up on truly trying to fix their first mess.

The fact they aren't focusing on new builds shows general incompetence.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Could GoTG appearing a future Avengers movie be why they aren't rushing the WDW plans?

Absolutely, positively ... NOT!

Disney knows what can and can't be used at WDW. GotG can be used. But there have been questions raised internally whether it really is a good idea to do so (yes, there's more to this ...unfortunately, this is all I can say right now) and just what that means.

Haymarket2008

Agreed. Also, the DCA version hasn't yet opened and they haven't gotten any feedback from the general public. (Not that they typically care.) And I would assume they would want to sort out any Marvel logistics before they go all in on the Guardians tower. They may not be able to do what they are doing in DCA at DHS in regards to a Marvel Land. I'm assuming the only reason why Guardians is happening in California is because of the coming expansion.

Kman101

Absolutely, positively ... NOT!

Disney knows what can and can't be used at WDW. GotG can be used. But there have been questions raised internally whether it really is a good idea to do so (yes, there's more to this ...unfortunately, this is all I can say right now) and just what that means.

Ah, good to know. I knew it was "safe to be used" but was just curious because of how you phrased it. I guess I should be ... glad there's questions on whether it's a good idea to use it or not? I hope that's a good thing, LOL. I'm so wary anymore when it comes to them and decision making.

ToTBellHop

EDIT TO ADD: That also includes the MM ride. ... Even with all of the above, this park will be woefully short of things to do. Unless, you just want to gawk at details in the SWE. My guess is there's only so much of that OCD component before people want more attractions. And there is nothing major at all being planned yet when all of this is done. Plenty in blue sky and such.
It is mind-blowingly short-sighted that they are not at least keeping GMR (and updating it--the ride concept is still wonderful) and building a new Mickey ride. It wouldn't solve the park's issues at all, but the last thing they should be doing is repealing and replacing GMR.

Happy to hear WDW is going soft on GotG for Epcot. Not that I'm suggesting it will be, but it would be a clear winner as a new ride at DHS, which still needs more rides (as you suggest) and would be an appropriate park for GotG.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom