A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with everything except for Carsland. In the film, it specifically states it takes place on Route 66, and I'm extremely confident California is mentioned as the location. Regardless, Radiator Springs takes HEAVY inspiration from California, and this is outright confirmed.
Radiator Springs is not directly based in any actual state. It's a fictitious place that takes some of its inspiration from various states including CA. I think there is enough of a CA flavor to the setting that it's acceptable in a theme park based on CA. The rockwork and setting could easily be in CA. It's not much of a stretch to me.

gmajew

Premium Member
And that's probably the only loophole they could get away with since the idea of "Thor the Norse God of Thunder" is public domain. I'm guessing they just couldn't use any of the MCU actors and of course any Marvel references. In other words, something original :eek:

I did like the first Avengers and Civil War though.

I liked those two as well in all honesty have enjoyed all of the marvel movies dating back to the first xmen. Feel when they keep the characters limited to a movie the overall story telling is better.

Civil war if you read the comics had so much more to it then what the movie showed. It was to short and no major consequences from it. Which to me was a missed opportunity to advance the story.

Mike S

I liked those two as well in all honesty have enjoyed all of the marvel movies dating back to the first xmen. Feel when they keep the characters limited to a movie the overall story telling is better.

Civil war if you read the comics had so much more to it then what the movie showed. It was to short and no major consequences from it. Which to me was a missed opportunity to advance the story.
Been a fan since Spider-Man :)

Disneyhead'71

I agree with everything except for Carsland. In the film, it specifically states it takes place on Route 66, and I'm extremely confident California is mentioned as the location. Regardless, Radiator Springs takes HEAVY inspiration from California, and this is outright confirmed.
Well, except for the 7,000 times during the movie where Lightening says that he needs to get out of Radiator Springs and get to California. Radiator Springs clearly is NOT in California.

But hey, close enough for gubmint work.

mickeyfan5534

How do you know there've been no consequences? Good storytelling, especially in a cinematic universe, doesn't plop a consequence immediately after an action, it takes time to build up to consequences. We've had ONE movie since Civil War and that's been a breather introducing Doc Strange. We're not going to see some fallout until Spider-Man (or Iron Man 5 feat. Spider-Man if RDJ has anything to say about the script) and on top of that, the Russo Bros have already revealed that Cap's retired and has asylum in Wakanda, Bucky decided to freeze himself again in the post credits sequence of Civil War, and the Avengers have essentially broken up. I'll be shocked if Peter doesn't have a lot of issues with Tony going into Homecoming

Mike S

If they want a Marvel IP at ToT, then Doctor Strange is the better fit. He's a ghost buster. Agents of Shield are already dealing with a 'ghost' storyline. Instead of Rod giving the narration, let Strange do it -- what else can ease the pain of the loss of Sterling than to hear Bandersnitch Cucumberland. The changes to the FX would be absolutely minimal. Replace the TZ eye with the Eye of Agamotto. Replace the TZ music with the score from the movie. Strange does time travel and so, you go back to when the Hollywood Tower became haunted and investigate a disruption of the Astral Plane (formerly known as the Twilight Zone). Zero changes needed to the exterior except the signage.
Went back to find this post after seeing the movie last night. I would still be PO'd about them messing with an already perfect ride but Doctor Strange would indeed make a hell of a lot more sense than shoving Guardians of the Galaxy in the Tower of Terror. The best part would be that the facade and a lot of the amazing theming could stay intact.

Not advocating it either way. I say keep Twilight Zone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, except for the 7,000 times during the movie where Lightening says that he needs to get out of Radiator Springs and get to California. Radiator Springs clearly is NOT in California.

But hey, close enough for gubmint work.
Definitely true. Radiator Springs was not set in CA.

I do think from a thematic standpoint it still fits pretty well in a park themed to CA. The landscapes look very similar to actual parts of CA along Route 66. It's not a huge stretch like say an alien, space themed building set in 1930s Hollywood;). From a purists standpoint I can see how someone could say if it isn't set in CA it doesn't belong in the park, but that ship largely set sail a while ago anyway when they added Monsters, Toy Story and later LM.

Disneyhead'71

Definitely true. Radiator Springs was not set in CA.

I do think from a thematic standpoint it still fits pretty well in a park themed to CA. The landscapes look very similar to actual parts of CA along Route 66. It's not a huge stretch like say an alien, space themed building set in 1930s Hollywood;). From a purists standpoint I can see how someone could say if it isn't set in CA it doesn't belong in the park, but that ship largely set sail a while ago anyway when they added Monsters, Toy Story and later LM.
All they would have to do is write Wecome to California on the back of the welcome to Radiator Springs sign.

Last edited:

VJ

It was replaced in MK with the Pooh ride, and then talked about for DL. The locals took up pitchforks and knives, and Disney changed it's mind. That is the story I heard, anyway.
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh opened in 2003 in Critter Country at Disneyland, replacing Country Bear Jamboree. I haven't heard of them wanting to replace Mr. Toad with a Pooh ride (guessing this rumor predates the current ride?) though I was very young at the time so I wasn't as involved with the Disney rumor mill at all.

DinoInstitute

Went back to find this post after seeing the movie last night. I would still be PO'd about them messing with an already perfect ride but Doctor Strange would indeed make a hell of a lot more sense than shoving Guardians of the Galaxy in the Tower of Terror. The best part would be that the facade and a lot of the amazing theming could stay intact.

Not advocating it either way. I say keep Twilight Zone.
Honestly I really hope Dr. Strange manages to find its way into the parks (obviously not in a devastating replacement) so much more than GotG. It has fantastic potential to make an amazing attraction and some cool special effects. Pandora works because of the amazing visuals, and Avatar has nothing on Dr. Strange in that department IMO after seeing it last night :jawdrop:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I guess I will just never understand the attitude that continues to complain about something that is a done deal. It's not changing, it's not going away, we don't like the placement, but everyone needs to move on. Sorry, but that's the deal.
Similarly, the folks complaining about the things they don't like about Disney probably aren't going away or changing either though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Isn't storybook circus technically a land? I mean, its small but it has two rides, it's own entryway, and a consistent circus theme.
No it is not. Storybook Circus is part of Fantasyland
On the park maps it's shown as part of Fantasyland. In the past Mickey's Toontown was shown on the maps as a separate land making a total of 7 lands. Since FLE they have shown the Storybook Circus attractions under the Fantasyland caption.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
On the park maps it's shown as part of Fantasyland. In the past Mickey's Toontown was shown on the maps as a separate land making a total of 7 lands. Since FLE they have shown the Storybook Circus attractions under the Fantasyland caption.
I guess I just assumed because it seemed like a small separate land

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I guess I just assumed because it seemed like a small separate land
IMHO it is its own land. I'm not sure why they decided to make it part of Fantasyland. Maybe just because it was wrapped up in the "Fantasyland Expansion" plans. In reality they could really split Fantasyland into 3 separate lands:
  1. Castle Courtyard: classic Fantasyland with the Bavarian village look within the "castle walls"
  2. Enchanted Forest: part of FLE including Mine Train, LM and BaTB areas which are beyond the "castle walls"
  3. Storybook Circus: I'm not even sure if there was an attempt to link this area to the rest of Fantasyland with a backstory. Maybe it's the area beyond the forest where the train station is and the Circus is setting up.
From a theme perspective 1 and 2 are easily linked as parts of "Fantasyland" but 3 really isn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom