A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Nmoody1

Interesting to hear that Doctor Strange is one of the Marvel IPs that can be used. After seeing the previews for the money, this particular IP piqued my interest, and for one main reason - location. When I watch some of the previews for that movie, Doctor Strange travels to a part of the world that has architecture that looks like it was pulled right out of Anandapur and Zerka Zong in the Asia sections of DAK. This makes me curious as to whether or not this Marvel IP could ever end up in that park. It seems far-fetched to me; but let's face it, they got Rohde to add an alien landscape expansion to the front of the park populated by the indigenous blue-skinned Na'vi. If Doctor Strange is a hit for the MCU - and Cumberbatch looks like he will fill Doctor Strange's shoes just fine - I wonder what would happen if Chappie and Co. tried to shoehorn this Marvel IP into DAK?

There was a time when I would have thought that to be impossible. But knowing the Bobs' preference for using IP, just watch the previews for Doctor Strange and tell me how an Asia expansion couldn't occur in that unused expansion pad. The resemblance to the structures in Asia to what you see in this upcoming movie are almost uncanny. And Rohde is the perfect Imagineer for it considering he currently has both DAK and the Marvel portfolio under his floppy earring.

I doubt Chappie and Co even know that Animal Kingdom has an Asia section... Let alone what the architecture looks like there! :)

DinoInstitute

Let's not pretend DHS is perfectly in theme throughout. Monster's Inc. is obviously a miss and I can find equal misses in DHS. The Little Mermaid Ride itself is not a good fit, even though yes there have been "mermaid sightings" throughout the years off the coast. The building the ride is in is a representation of a real building in San Francisco. Carsland is about route 66 and California is very Route 66. Carsland reminds me of California a lot. Bugsland is a stretch but it was originally put in as an extension of the part of the park that spotlighted California's massive farming industry. Frozen is a stage show that highlight's the large stage scene in LA. I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face a stage show doesn't belong in a land dedicated to Hollywood. It's full of stage shows.

Unless JPL sends a probe up to find Starlord, GOTG has nothing to do with California.

Edit: To add, my point is that in each of the other instances if you follow the logic behind how the decisions were made there was an attempt to fit them in, even if they were not perfect fits thematically. This is a pure IP dump for either coast. That is bad for all Disney fans.
The reason I mentioned Frozen is because some of the theme and story sticklers that were talking about Sunset said earlier that a BatB show wouldn't fit, though you're not wrong. That said Bugs and Little Mermaid still feel like Chester and Hester level stretches for fitting.

I mean, no park is, ever will be, and probably ever should be 100% exactly, completely in theme, and I think that's ok. And it includes DHS and DCA. Obviously GotG would be huge sore thumbs in both parks, which isn't something I ever tried to deny. My original point was Marvel won't be the be all end all of destroying theme in DCA, while I think a GotG tower in DHS would have much more of an impact. Not because the ride is better, but just in how it will completely change the front half of the park. I'm sure it's possible I would feel differently if I was more of a DL regular than WDW.
That part was the only one that mattered, hence the reason I cut it short.
Still really not a great way to hold a legit discussion, but ok.
That part was the only one that mattered, hence the reason I cut it short.

Radiator Springs may not take place in California, but at least it looks like it actually COULD take place somewhere in Southern California. Speaking of Cars Land, the original purpose for Car Land, before the move Cars was attached to the project, was to celebrate the car culture that is present in California, particularly Southern California.

A bug's land doesn't scream California in general, but there's nothing super imposing about a land themed to bugs in a park themed to California. Same goes for The Little Mermaid. Compare these two to Mission Breakout, a ride about space characters, one of them being a talking raccoon and a green female alien to name a few, that will be replacing another ride in which the land it sits in is supposed to represent 1930's/1940's Hollywood. How is that okay?

I agree Monsters doesn't fit. Frozen on the other hand is performed in the Hyperion, which is designed to look like the Los Angeles Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles, a movie palace that opened in 1931.

Over the years, Disney has taken time to come up with ways to combine California, albeit a romanticized California that's based around some truth, with Disney. There are multiple examples of this, and now a ride based on GotG is about to go in. Even when the Marvel area is built, it will still be far-fetched and it will be interesting to hear what the dummies at Disney will say to justify its placement in California Adventure.
Like I said to the other poster, it might be different if I was more of a DL-er like you, but having Marvel alongside random other IPs that don't necessarily fit either doesn't bother me a huge amount. I guess we'll just agree to disagree :)

Brer Oswald

You can't quote half of my sentence and try to prove me "wrong". As I continued to say, it's not 'ruining' the theme that much more than other additions. Which includes Carsland, Bugs Land, scattered Little Mermaid stuff... How do you justify those to have not messed with the theme of the park. Or, as you reply to another poster its false that Hollywood Land is not a portrayal of a Hollywood studio, but rather classic Hollywood, why do you think Monsters Inc and Frozen fit better in Hollywood Land than GotG?
Carsland is based on Route 66, so it fits the theme of the park. Other than that, I completely agree with you. :p

SorcererMC

I know he is popular with Wall Street (although can't wait how he 'splains what has gone on at ESPN the last few months)
I'm not sure if this has been discussed in another thread, but posting here since ESPN is an ongoing issue. Nielsen retracted their report re: 621,000 subscriber loss. Why? Disney refuted it saying it wasn't consistent with their internal analysis. Interesting read.
http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/nielsen-november-cable-estimates-espn-1201904983/

71jason

2.) Have heard that Doctor Strange is an IP that Disney can use at WDW, but haven't checked into it ... well, largely because I don't care.

He was always associated most closely with the Defenders, not the Avengers, in Marvel lore, so makes sense.

Any idea how TWDC plans to deal with the fact that even the characters WDW can use can't be advertised from Atlanta to Miami? To me that seems as much of a deal-breaker as them being off-limits.

asianway

He was always associated most closely with the Defenders, not the Avengers, in Marvel lore, so makes sense.

Any idea how TWDC plans to deal with the fact that even the characters WDW can use can't be advertised from Atlanta to Miami? To me that seems as much of a deal-breaker as them being off-limits.
Of course, Hulk was in way more Defenders books than Avengers...

Just proves to me, Uni's lawyers dont read comics.

rael ramone

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

She's a wonderful actress. She could have one line in a movie ("achoo!") and win the Oscar for Actress in a Leading Role.
I didn't say she was a bad actress. If Disney cared about the man that started it all, they wouldn't cast her in a sequel to Walt Disney's last beloved masterpiece. She should at least apologize publicly for the disgusting things she said.

Travel Junkie

My original point was Marvel won't be the be all end all of destroying theme in DCA, while I think a GotG tower in DHS would have much more of an impact. Not because the ride is better, but just in how it will completely change the front half of the park. I'm sure it's possible I would feel differently if I was more of a DL regular than WDW.

I understand what you and a lot of people are saying. What I am trying to point out is that a lot of the justifications for why it is ok (or at least not as bad) for DCA and terrible for DHS is not correct because those same issues exist in both parks. They are simply being glossed over or excused for DHS, but not DCA. Because they dominate the skylines of both parks (even more so at DCA because it is by far the tallest building in either DCA or DL) it will have a big stamp on the surroundings. GOTG tower will completely change the look and the feel of the entire park at DCA because it is seen from everywhere. I don't see how the impact will be any less.

Phineas

truthfully, I agree. This has the potential to be awesome. Can't say the same for the others.
Honestly, I can see some potential for Night on Bald Mountain too, so long as it doesn't go the same route as that Sorcerer's Apprentice movie that we're not allowed to talk about. Something similar in tone to Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow could be interesting.

rael ramone

I didn't say she was a bad actress. If Disney cared about the man that started it all, they wouldn't cast her in a sequel to Walt Disney's last beloved masterpiece. She should at least apologize publicly for the disgusting things she said.

Regardless if $DIS cared about the company's namesake or not, this WILL be brought up during promotions...

Bairstow

I understand what you and a lot of people are saying. What I am trying to point out is that a lot of the justifications for why it is ok (or at least not as bad) for DCA and terrible for DHS is not correct because those same issues exist in both parks. They are simply being glossed over or excused for DHS, but not DCA. Because they dominate the skylines of both parks (even more so at DCA because it is by far the tallest building in either DCA or DL) it will have a big stamp on the surroundings. GOTG tower will completely change the look and the feel of the entire park at DCA because it is seen from everywhere. I don't see how the impact will be any less.

Now I'm wondering- what kind of outcry was there when Disney cloned the Tower into California Adventure in the first place?

HauntedMansionFLA

Maybe she was right on the money by making the remarks? No one seemed to question it?

Quinnmac000

Of course, Hulk was in way more Defenders books than Avengers...

Just proves to me, Uni's lawyers dont read comics.

The issue is so many superheroes fall in so many families and umbrellas you can argue nearly everyone is tied to this via this and that to the point Disney would get nothing but as Spirit has hinted at there were deals made. As to what no idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom