A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Incomudro

Here's the thing. It's 2016. Not 1986. The world has changed. Media has changed. Wall Street has changed. Society has changed.

Sometimes folks talk about WDW like it's in some bubble immune to outside forces of time.

With "synergy" - the parks have always been part of that. Heck Disney built Sleeping Beauty's Castle before the film even came out, much less before it could be deemed a "classic". Frontierland existed because one of Disney's top live action franchises was Davy Crockett (and one of the first notable mass advertised consumer items to children based on media was a Davy Crocket coonskin cap). 20k Leagues was built based on a newish film (based on a nonDisney created property, to boot).

They are going to build things that appeal to the mass audience today because they can't spend $200M+ on an attraction for a "this might catch on" idea. It's just reality. If they are finally spending the kind of money that needs to be spent, they are going to spend it on things to complement existing business interests. No other management or CEO would or could do differently because if they did, they wouldn't have the job long.

I agree with this.
Just don't re-theme one of your very best attractions to fit the mold.
(Maelstrom was not one of WDW's best attractions.)

RSoxNo1

Huh. I'm inclined to agree.
Harambe vs Hogsmeade/Hogwarts though?
Kilimanjaro Safaris is my favorite ride, Festival of the Lion King my favorite show and fwiw, Gorilla falls my preferred walk through over Maharajah Jungle Trek.

Having said that, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is a great ride but they did what Universal so often does with their lands. They went about 90% on theming. With Hogsmeade you can see the show building for Forbidden Journey. Add in the visual abomination that is Dragon Challenge and Hogsmeade is no longer in the discussion for best themed land. For me that list is:
1. Africa - DAK
2. Diagon Alley - USO
3. Mysterious Island - TDS
4. American Waterfront - TDS
5. Cars Land - DCA

AEfx

And yet it is perfectly acceptable to gamble with such amounts when it comes to a film.

That's because the film business is entirely different than the theme park business.

Disney sure had some duds in the not too recent past, but it's now the top studio in Hollywood thanks to the brilliant acquisitions that folks like to dismiss because someone other than Walt Disney accquired them.

A hit feature film can also make hundreds of millions or more theatrically, on home video, and ancillary products - virtually no theme park attraction can measurably add that kind of profit to the parks - unless it's a Potter or Star Wars. It's just the different nature of the businesses.

WildcatDen

Imagination is currently way down the list.

With or without Figment.
"With Figment" was mentioned, hence why I thought that was your implication for a 'nod to the past'. Still, as I said, very few details. One 'sort of' detail was even the SGE replacement was being 'looked at' again with a few different sets of eyes? What that means for Ralph is TBD but I get the feeling other than Pandora and SWL, the rest of the current plans, with a target of the 50th are like a David Blaine Card Trick. I also heard a decision to start the replacement for MK's night parade will be made by year's end with the options being 2018 or in time for 2021. I swear, it seems like each conversation is more confused than the one before?

Mike S

I think that is imperative to keep in mind. Once Spider-Man appeared in a Disney/Marvel film, it was clear all bets are off for what can be negotiated.

While we like to almost romanticize the situation into a grudge match between Disney/Marvel and those with existing contracts, in reality it's about everyone making money. And if it can benefit both, nothing is likely off of the table.
The only thing off the table would probably be Universal giving up their contract completely.

On another note Marvel's been destined for Epcot since the beginning it seems, just not in the rumored large capacity.
image-jpeg.134877

A lot of Marvel properties do have a lot to do with science. If done well, I could see some Marvel characters being added to Epcot in a way that fits very well. I dont necessarily know how Guardians makes sense (but I'm willing to reserve judgement till we know more details). BUT if Marvel is gonna play ball with Universal, maybe Iron man could be coming.

I vould totally see the Wonders of Life Pavilion becoming the Stark Expo. Make the big "lobby" area like a new innoventions (even try to get real companiespresenting new technologies mixed in with fake companies lile Pym tech and Oscorp). Add the Iron Man ride from Hong Kong or build a new one. Maybe have some other Avengers ride too themed around the Stark Expo. Or an Ant Man play area sorts like the old Honey I shrunk the kids play area.

Stark Expo could be a fun mix of edutainment and a celebration of scientific progress in the lobby and then some exciting rides off to the sides.
Stark Expo in WoL would be about the only Marvel thing they could do that would work in Epcot. The simulator bays for a clone of Iron Man Experience are already there though I would prefer something new and different. The rest of the pavilion could show off various technical wonders and advancements from all fields. Too bad he's an Avenger and strictly off limits though. The price to buyout the contract would likely be too great to be worth it. Might as well stick with things they can use. Oh well.

yeti

Wow, that makes me extremely curious. I can't really imagine what that could entail, but if they could make a Marvel area "fit" effectively in Epcot, I'm intrigued.
I feel like the only characters that would work are Tony Stark and Hank Pym....the rest is too alien for a park about human ingenuity. With those two you could at least pretend that their shenanigans have a basis in the real world.

yeti

I think it's now generally accepted that the overall theme of EPCOT will need to change to better suit the sorts of attractions that more easily coordinate with merchandise sales and Disney's larger media efforts.

The sooner we accept this the easier it will be.
The idea that such a thing "needs" to happen is more of a corporate mandate than an actual necessity, but anyway...

LukeS7

Ralph is locked in. Work should start in January.
Any chance Stitch could be open to add additional ride capacity over MLK weekend? Was hoping there was a chance, not that it's a great ride, but it's my favorite Disney movie and was hoping for one last go on our upcoming trip

TP2000

I think this photo Mint Crocodile took finally puts the nail in the coffin on the rumor of Paint the Night being shipped out, as they cant store both parades.... Disneyland has created storage for MSEP... temporary, likely as temporary as that parade will be. Mind you that tent is clearly not tall enough for the clock tower, as it has no top on it... So perhaps it is just there while they work on the floats?

i-z9wBHjF-O.png

That's obviously temporary. But Disneyland will be running Paint The Night daily beginning November 18th; two performances of Christmas Fantasy Parade in the afternoons, then two performances of Paint The Night in the evenings. They would need that temporary structure to house MSEP for the next two months while Paint The Night performs daily and they get MSEP ready for its January, 2017 debut at Disneyland.

I'm not saying this tent doesn't prove MSEP will be temporary for 2017, I'm just saying that for at least the next two months they need a space to store and refurbish the MSEP while Paint The Night continues to perform daily.

AEfx

I cannot fathom a world without it, but how can Spaceship Earth survive in a park with lots of Marvel IP that doesn't fit in with the theme of Epcot?

It's not like they are just going to put in fantasy rides with no theme. One thing that sets Marvel apart from DC is that a lot of the heroes are either scientists or have science backgrounds/scientific origins. I fully expect Disney to integrate the themes and not just abandon the concepts of the park. It really could be done - Stark Expo as a communicore replacement is a prime example. Just because it's themed to Marvel doesn't mean they couldn't still keep the edutainment angle.

VJ

Or at least make Apple sponsor it and retheme accordingly.
I can see it now.. Spaceship Earth getting completely re-skinned to resemble an Apple product, gleaming, reflecting the sun and burning the retinas of everyone who dares gaze upon its beauty...

AEfx

Any chance Stitch could be open to add additional ride capacity over MLK weekend? Was hoping there was a chance, not that it's a great ride, but it's my favorite Disney movie and was hoping for one last go on our upcoming trip

It's already closed, and given what Martin has said, it gives credence to the rumor that was posted on Twitter that it was already being gutted.

Sorry!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom