A Teenager’s Review of Disneyland (Frontierland)

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
Frontierland

Frontierland was built to capitalize off of the pop-culture craze over westerns such as Davy Crocket and the Lone Ranger.
For most, this area is only worth going to for riding Big Thunder Mountain and the occasional meet and greet. However, this area is more than that. It is a celebration of America’s Spirit of Exploration and makes one feel as if they are walking into a John Wayne movie. I find Big Thunder Mountain to be the most detailed of the 3 major roller coasters at Disneyland because of the effort put into the detail of the American Southwest inspired surroundings, the ride’s many nuances (the blink-and-you-miss-it goat and the mining equipment strewn about), and its tributes to the attraction that it replaced and was inspired by (Mine Train Thru Nature’s Wonderland).

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Frontierland

For most, this area is only worth going to for riding Big Thunder Mountain and the occasional meet and greet. However, this area is more than that. It is a celebration of America’s Spirit of Exploration and makes one feel as if they are walking into a John Wayne movie. I find Big Thunder Mountain to be the most detailed of the 3 major roller coasters at Disneyland because of the effort put into the detail of the American Southwest inspired surroundings, the ride’s many nuances (the blink-and-you-miss-it goat and the mining equipment strewn about), and its tributes to the attraction that it replaced and was inspired by (Mine Train Thru Nature’s Wonderland). Now as for the controversy this area may inspire, it is overshadowed by its focus on the positive parts of history and how it makes history more accessible to our children who have a severe disinterest in history.

“A focus on the positive parts”…

Or rather a keen and intentional lack of truth?

If the intention is to inspire interest in history for youth, it could at least be a little bit more honest. You don’t need to be horrific or gory to teach and present truth.

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
“A focus on the positive parts”…

Or rather a keen and intentional lack of truth?

If the intention is to inspire interest in history for youth, it could at least be a little bit more honest. You don’t need to be horrific or gory to teach and present truth.
Walt Disney did not have any ill will when designing Frontierland. He intended showcase Native American culture, albeit in a way that did not distinguish clearly between different tribes, but it helped increase representation of Native Americans in Disneyland in the 50s and 60s. Walt tried to put history in a positive light to leave out the more violent aspects of it, such as displays of direct violence between Natives and Settlers and other gory details. However, he did leave out the part of history when settlers took Native Americans’ land. But when Big Thunder Mountain opened in the late 70s, it contained a backstory about a mine built on holy Native American land. The mine operation went bust and the mine is now haunted with runaway trains that have no engineer. So I think that Disney should emphasize the backstory more in the future to recall that part of history. We must tell our children the truth, but not make history gory or show excruciating pain. By making history clean, fantasized, and recreated in physical form, history is made real to kids and far more interesting than from a teacher droning about history.

Californian Elitist

Walt Disney did not have any ill will when designing Frontierland. He intended showcase Native American culture, albeit in a way that did not distinguish clearly between different tribes, but it helped increase representation of Native Americans in Disneyland in the 50s and 60s. Walt tried to put history in a positive light to leave out the more violent aspects of it, such as displays of direct violence between Natives and Settlers and other gory details. However, he did leave out the part of history when settlers took Native Americans’ land. But when Big Thunder Mountain opened in the late 70s, it contained a backstory about a mine built on holy Native American land. The mine operation went bust and the mine is now haunted with runaway trains that have no engineer. So I think that Disney should emphasize the backstory more in the future to recall that part of history. We must tell our children the truth, but not make history gory or show excruciating pain. By making history clean, fantasized, and recreated in physical form, history is made real to kids and far more interesting than from a teacher droning about history.
NO.

Phroobar

The only reason Walt made Frontierland was because it was hip in the 1950s. Little boys ran around playing cowboys and Indians because westerns were popular in the movies and on TV. Tomorrowland was built for the same reason. Space & nuclear power were big subjects in 1950s. Fantasyland was built to market his movies. Frontierland was never to teach history.

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
The only reason Walt made Frontierland is because it was hip in the 1950s. Little boys ran around playing cowboys and Indians because westerns were popular in the movies and on TV. Tomorrowland was built for the same reason. Space & nuclear power were big subjects in 1950s. Fantasyland was built to market his movies. It was never to teach history.
👍. Davy Crockett and Zorro were all the rage.

Parteecia

Walt tried to put history in a positive light to leave out the more violent aspects of it, such as displays of direct violence between Natives and Settlers and other gory details.
Well, there was that "poor" settler with the arrow in his chest...

EDIT: because I thought it was in his back.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Do you have any photos or evidence of this? Because today it seems that this detail and the burning settlers’ cabin is gone.
911cb95b7ec840a7b45c48b63392371c.jpg

Google is your friend.

CaptinEO

Disneyland isn't a history museum. It's entertainment based on idealized things from history.

Frontierland doesn't have negative parts of history for the same reason a 50s cafe wouldn't have segregation.

Apologies to anyone who wanted to see the crusades at Sleeping Beauties Castle.

Disneyland is an escape, away from the negatives. Does it mean it's accurate? No.

Would I want to visit a place that recreated the worst of history? Heck no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom