Trip Report *COMPLETED* A Swolphin Sandwich (Thanksgiving Week 2017)

My DW M and I have returned from a wonderful week of Disney, family, and more Disney! I can make no guarantees for fast or frequent updates, but I'll do my best!

Introduction

Here's the PTR: ProcrastiNations: Deflections of Work. There you can read all about the cast and plans. We decided to take it easy on this trip as we've just gotten through an extremely stressful few months relating to our living situation. I've posted bits and pieces about it in various TRs/PTRs recently, but to make a long story short our building was purchased and our lease wasn't renewed, but we couldn't move into our new place until eleven days after we moved out and didn't find out until the day before we were supposed to move in. We had to put all our stuff in storage and stay in temporary housing during that time. Luckily the new landlord has done their best to make up for the financial strain of paying for last-minute temporary housing (they delayed our official lease date to December 1 so we didn't have to pay anything for the 2/3 of November we lived here). That said, this was a pretty horrible chapter of our lives and we lost a lot of sleep and got behind in work and...cried a lot!*

The biggest change to the trip was the decision not to do any early mornings at parks in an effort to catch up on sleep. This meant changing and canceling some ADRs, and only visiting two of the parks. We spent more time in the room than we typically do and chose rest time over busy park time when presented with the decision.

So, if you're ready for a million photos (mostly of food...and beverages...;) ) keep reading!

*Lest you worry about us, we are VERY happy in our new place now that the garbage of November is behind us. It is the biggest and nicest place we have ever lived in. We have a beautiful kitchen with a dishwasher AND we have our own washer and dryer in-unit, which is almost unheard of in this area! We are still waiting on two chairs to arrive but once they do and we have everything set up I'll post photos here.

Up next: The flight to Orlando!

bee

Original Poster
Day 1: Monday, November 20

We typically book early morning flights because they tend to have fewer delays and we like to get to our destination as quickly as possible. But this time, the cheapest option was a flight around 1:00pm, so we booked that instead. That meant sleeping in until 9:00 (madness!) instead of getting up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning.

By the time we woke up I'd already received a notification that our room at the Swan was ready!

tumblr_ozu8vfieNI1un92rjo1_1280.png

tumblr_ozu8vfieNI1un92rjo3_1280.png

Over breakfast we talked about how we would get from MCO to the Swan since we can't use DME and Uber/Lyft aren't allowed to do airport pickups. We had planned to take a Lynx bus to a nearby location and take a Lyft from there. M asked me to check the apps just in case the airport had started allowing rideshare pickups, and it turns out MCO has lifted the ban!

We packed our last-minute items and made sure everything was locked, and took a Lyft to EWR. We didn't check any bags and had boarding passes on our phones so we just needed to get through security. The wait was around twenty minutes as always (why can't Newark get it together?). We didn't need breakfast and it wasn't really lunch time, so we just had:

tumblr_ozu8vfieNI1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Iced coffee!

We started boarding right on time and took off a little early.

tumblr_ozu8vfieNI1un92rjo4_1280.png

tumblr_ozu8vfieNI1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu8vfieNI1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu8vfieNI1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu8vfieNI1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Up next: more of the flight, and the journey to the Swan!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Yay!

I’m here too!
Welcome!

I'm in for the fun!
Fun there will be!

Me, too! Me, two! :D
:D :D

I also like reading an @bee trip report

I think you get marked too hard though

They are always A+ in my book

Following from afar

( not Jafar - a far (way away))

Max
I've been out of school for awhile so I haven't received an A+ for awhile! Thanks, Max!

Following!
Welcome!

Following along!
Yay!

Yay! I'm in! Can't wait to hear all about your trip! Glad to hear that you are finally settled in your new home and loving it!
Thank you! And welcome!

I am happy to read another Bee trip report.:)
I'm happy to write another Bee trip report!

WOOHOO!!! I'm following along!
Yay!

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

The flight was completely full but pleasant. We had some snacks...

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

...and some drinks...

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

(That's a red wine and a seltzer, not a red wine and a vodka soda ;) )

At one point we overhead a kid tell their parents, "We literally have our head in the clouds!"

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

And we landed a few minutes early!

After we landed one of the FAs made an announcement that three special kids on the plane had made excellent grades and, though they thought they were just going to their aunt's house for the whole week of Thanksgiving, they were actually going to Universal for four days and three nights! The family happened to be sitting by us (dad was in our row and mom and kids were across the aisle) so we got to see their reactions up close! The youngest was outwardly excited but the older two were pulling an Elsa...conceal, don't feel, don't let them know! But I could tell they were excited even if it wasn't "cool" to show it!

Fonorail time!

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

We headed down to the baggage claim level to catch our Lyft!

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu8xxBEjS1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

The new international terminal is looking good!

Could it be...

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

...we're finally home??

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

(SN: This photo is way easier to take from a car than from a DME bus!)

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

I see you, Swolphin!

Up next: Our room is ready...and upgraded???

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

The beginnings of the Christmas transformation. Over the course of the week we got to witness the entire transformation!

Though we'd already received our room number we still had to stop at the front desk to pick up our keys (no MagicBands at the Swolphin, remember!). The CM thanked me for being a Starwood Preferred Guest and informed me that our room had been upgraded to...a balcony room!!!

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

689, as promised! (Oops, blurry!)

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu925kFvN1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

@Tuvalu

And the upgrade:

tumblr_ozu9dltPIc1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu9dltPIc1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu9dltPIc1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu9dltPIc1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu9dltPIc1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu9dltPIc1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozu9dltPIc1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

I didn't take photos of the bathroom or as many photos of the room in general as I usually do, because 1) I've stayed here before and the bathrooms all look the same, and 2) I was too busy enjoying the views from the balcony!!!

Up next: The walk to Epcot!

Pixieish

Day 1, cont.

The beginnings of the Christmas transformation. Over the course of the week we got to witness the entire transformation!

Though we'd already received our room number we still had to stop at the front desk to pick up our keys (no MagicBands at the Swolphin, remember!). The CM thanked me for being a Starwood Preferred Guest and informed me that our room had been upgraded to...a balcony room!!!

@Tuvalu

And the upgrade:

I didn't take photos of the bathroom or as many photos of the room in general as I usually do, because 1) I've stayed here before and the bathrooms all look the same, and 2) I was too busy enjoying the views from the balcony!!!

Nice views!!! We stayed there last year and loved it! We were in a family suite - no balcony, but the room was gorgeous and we'll definitely stay there again sometime. (The only thing I really disliked were the new carpets in the hallways...the coloring makes them look worn even though they're brand new.)

bee

Original Poster
Nice views!!! We stayed there last year and loved it! We were in a family suite - no balcony, but the room was gorgeous and we'll definitely stay there again sometime. (The only thing I really disliked were the new carpets in the hallways...the coloring makes them look worn even though they're brand new.)
I hadn't noticed that about the hallway carpets but I can see what you mean.

We are staying at the swolphin on the last night of our dec. Trip. I’m so excited to experience this Resort after your positive experiences. :)

Can’t wait to read more.
Yay! I think you'll love it!! You'll be there for the Christmas decorations!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Day 1, cont.

@Tuvalu

And the upgrade:

When we get back(which may be a few more years due to my ds doing summer music programs:(:mad:, it mean good for him getting in:angelic:) I want to stay at the Swalphin but my dh won't spring for the extra money:(:mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom