A Song is Worth a Thousand Words

fngoofy

Original Poster
By all accounts, Davy Crocket (Wonderful World of Disney) taught the company the value of a good song. It was catchy, promoted the series, and told the viewer what the show was about, as well as telling a new viewer what had already happened. This formula was repeated with Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, as well as Disneyland/WDW attractions.

Attractions that I think contain signature songs are:
Tiki Room
Pirate's of the Caribbean
Country Bear Jamboree
Splash Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Small World
Carousel of Progress
If You Had Wings (retired)

It seems that there hasn't been an effective use of a song telling a story since Splash Mountain's "How Do you Do" which tracks through the entire ride and helps to tell the story.

While there is defiantly fine background music being worked into areas today, it seems that the "story-line" style of song has seen a waning in popularity.

My points of discussion are:

Are you happy about this?

Do you think the technique is appealing to the current generation of park guests?

What is your favorite song from an attraction?

DizneyPryncess

I never noticed before how the story telling songs weren't used as much as they used to be. Good point.

I love the use of the songs in the rides that you mentioned. They are the songs that get stuck in your head randomly year round, and that are truly "Disney". Plus, so many of the rides they are featured in are classic rides and those songs help make them that way.

I hope it's something they integrate into the parks more in the future, because I do think it's appealing to all generations. Kids love music, and singing songs. I'm 27, and I still sing when I'm on (and off) these rides! I think of all the songs, that "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" is by far my favorite :eek:

fngoofy

Original Poster
Good point DP about the kids loving to sing. Now that you mention it, I think the song helps kids fall in love with a ride and as an adult the song means alot to the experience.

SirGoofy

I don't know if they have completely abandoned the song route. "Big Blue World" is a wonderful song IMO.

Personally I think you don't see the songs like you used to, because they don't build the dark rides like they used to.

Wilt Dasney

Splash Mountain has three great songs. "How Do You Do" sets up the characters and story, "Laughin' Place" provides some comic relief as Brer Rabbit torments Brer Fox and Brer Bear before getting "caught," and "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" backlights the happy ending. It might be about as close as you can get to a cohesive narrative structure for a ride-thru attraction.

fngoofy

Original Poster
I don't know if they have completely abandoned the song route. "Big Blue World" is a wonderful song IMO.

Personally I think you don't see the songs like you used to, because they don't build the dark rides like they used to.

I agree, but isn't it just at the end of the ride?

I am referring to songs like Yo Ho, or the above mentioned Splash Trio.

Songs that setup the attraction or explain what is happening. Yo ho describes the Pirate's (rascals, scoundrels, villains, & knaves), and lets us know that we can expect things to enflame and ignite, all while "drinking up."

Small World is a simple ride with a simple message & song. However with out the song you would have a weak ride that made little sense.

I see what you are saying with the lack of new dark rides.
I guess you see that in the Disney/Pixar movies as well. Lion Kind, Little Mermaid, they had songs whereas Toy Story, Nemo, Cars, have no catchy ditties.

You would think that the Great Movie Ride would have more of a sound track , given the importance of music in film.

I think Pooh is the last attraction to have a sound track that literally describes what is happening, Woozles, rain, etc.

hrcollectibles

"I see what you are saying with the lack of new dark rides.
I guess you see that in the Disney/Pixar movies as well. Lion Kind, Little Mermaid, they had songs whereas Toy Story, Nemo, Cars, have no catchy ditties."

I beg to differ with the Toy Story .. A friend in me is pretty catchy
I remember Carousel of Progress "Now is the Time" Sing and The Imigination song from the original version of the ride.

fngoofy

Original Poster
I beg to differ with the Toy Story .. A friend in me is pretty catchy
I remember Carousel of Progress "Now is the Time" Sing and The Imigination song from the original version of the ride.

Yes, but Toy Story does not have the "Musical" style songs, like when characters break in song. Like "I just can't wait to be king", or "Someday my prince will come", or "Poor unfortunate souls."

Same kinda thing with park attractions. Big blue world is great, but not on the same story telling level as "If You Had Wings" or "Bear Band Serenade."

Maybe Stitch's Great Escape would be better as a musical?
"2..3..4..I'm an annoying rodent, yes I am, yes I am... sing along everybody."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom