A SECRET REVEALED!

yensid67

Original Poster
Today I have decided to reveal secret(s) that I use to plan a Disney World trip and save on a off site Hotel at the CHEAPEST rates! The reason I have decided to 'give in' and tell all, is that I will not be going back to Disney World in the near future or even again! So this way I might be able to help someone else save money on their hotel so they can have more money to spend inside the parks! That being said, much of what I am going to reveal isn't secret at all, it is public information...you just have to know where to look!
SECRET: In order to get the cheapest hotel rate for an off site hotel, I use otel.com or amoma.com. They are from Turkey(otel) and Switzerland(amoma) I have not had any problems with them, I got refunds back quicker than I would get from Disney, Universal. Each of these sites have a wide variety of rooms in MANY MANY locations around Orlando, Lake Buena Vista
I also use undercovertourist.com as a one stop shop for tickets, hotel, rental car and other attraction tickets! They usually have the cheapest price than Disney(or Universal) They have Disney/Universal packages as well!
EXAMPLE: I can get The Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, 1 room for 2 adults for $60/night, $80/night including Breakfast Buffet! This is just an example of what kind of rooms can be reserved on these sites. Most of the hotels for $60-$80 are 3-4 stars and usually have great reviews!

TRANSPORTATION
SECRET: To save some money on transportation, check out Driving costs or AMTRAK costs. You can take the train to Orlando or Kissimmee and pick up a rental car for the week. It was just slightly cheaper for us to use AMTRAK than fly(even though flying would be quicker!) Taking the train is an adventure and different from the normal transportation for a trip!

So there ya go! That are my secrets for planning a Disney Trip! Nothing to secretive! Hotel sites can be found on trivgo.com

yensid67

Original Poster
AMTRAK:
September 7-14
Washington DC to Orlando FL(Round Trip)
2 Adults(16yrs +); 1 Child(13-15 yrs); 1 Infant(2-12 yrs)
Reserved Coach Seats...$945.00

FLIGHT:
September 7-14
BWI to MCO(Round Trip)
3 Adults; Child flies for FREE
Coach Seats...$2,843.88

Just as comparison. Flying you have the convenience of a 2 hour flight, Train you have the convenience of someone else doing the driving! It depends on what is important to you. If you chose to DRIVE compared to taking the TRAIN, there is no difference in travel times using the WASHINGTON DC to ORLANDO FL information. Obviously, wherever you live you would have to compare the prices and times.

Rob562

AMTRAK:
September 7-14

FLIGHT:
September 7-14
BWI to MCO(Round Trip)
Coach Seats...$2,843.88

Just as comparison. Flying you have the convenience of a 2 hour flight, Train you have the convenience of someone else doing the driving! It depends on what is important to you. If you chose to DRIVE compared to taking the TRAIN, there is no difference in travel times using the WASHINGTON DC to ORLANDO FL information. Obviously, wherever you live you would have to compare the prices and times.

$2800 from BWI to Orlando? Are you flying First Class and checking four bags per person?

Kayak just gave me $1008 for the same dates and family make-up you posted, two checked bags and a carry-on.

-Rob

John park hopper

Have you ever taken Amtrak to Orlando? Several years ago we took Amtrak from Charleston SC (Train originated in the NE) to Palm Beach FL. It stopped in Orlando. I hope they improved it greatly because it was horrible. The on train rest rooms were absolutely filthy, seats were uncomfortable. Only plus it was cheaper than flying but slow. if I ever did it again I would get a sleeping car.

yensid67

Original Poster
Not defending taking Amtrak, but all the videos and reviews I saw and read all gave Amtrak good ratings with comfortable seats. Time to travel from PA to Orlando is equivalent to driving. I guess it all depends on your expectations and using a Sleeper would be best or even the Auto Train! The biggest thing you would have to do is decide what's more important to you and seeing how Amtrak could fit into those plans!

slappy magoo

AMTRAK:
September 7-14

FLIGHT:
September 7-14
BWI to MCO(Round Trip)
Coach Seats...$2,843.88

I popped your dates into travelocity first. Looks like the only flights out of BWI travelocity has that will do non stop flights are from Spirit, and I know they have added costs up the ying yang so I went to their own website. Did the same dates, told them I wanted the bundled choice where you pick your seat and your carryon and checked bag and expedited security check-in is included.
I got a price of $1150 for 4.

I also went on Southwest's site, same dates, same party size. Their "Wanna Get Away" prices is under a grand, roundtrip. And that's paying for the infant to get a seat.

Also, coach seats on Amtrak do not include a meal unless you're on the Autotrain out of Loron VA, where you get dinner and a continental breakfast. So you either need to pack all your meals or pay for meals on the train.

I'm not sure you researched as thoroughly as you think you did. Granted prices for airfare can change day by day, even hour by hour, but still...

Attachments

• sw.jpeg
    sw.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 111

yensid67

Original Poster
I did not do the 'wanna get away' fares...I used the median fares since most might not utilize wanna get aways! Amtrak and eating...it depends on where you are catching the train. We were catching it in Martinsburg WV to DC, where we would have enough time to grab a big meal before boarding the train. That big meal could hold us over and just take snacks or buy snacks on train! The snacks are expensive. Our thinking was that we would eat a BIG meal at the food court at DC , we would not STARVE if we didn't buy anything on the train and then eat a nice breakfast once we got into Orlando/Kissimmee. The food on the train is not that good and that's what we decided would be the best for us to do and save money on eating!

aliceismad

If someone is willing to Amtrak from DC, wouldn’t they also be willing to fly from a DC airport? You can get 4 seats nonstop on American from Reagan for $550 on those dates. Even plus baggage, that’s quite a lot cheaper in both money and time than the train.

DISR

I live between Baltimore and DC and always check both airports. Southwest flies out of both. Last year I booked 1st class on American (direct) for about $100 more for the family than SW out of Baltimore. Check all the options...you never know. I've looked into the autotrain, but getting to Lorton, the overnight on the train, and the cost of a sleeper don't seem to add up. The only way it seems to work is if the trip to Florida is so long that a rental car is prohibitively expensive.

Dad 2 M & M

Today I have decided to reveal secret(s) that I use to plan a Disney World trip and save on a off site Hotel at the CHEAPEST rates!
SECRET: In order to get the cheapest hotel rate for an off site hotel, I use otel.com or amoma.com. They are from Turkey(otel) and Switzerland(amoma) I have not had any problems with them, I got refunds back quicker than I would get from Disney, Universal. Each of these sites have a wide variety of rooms in MANY MANY locations around Orlando, Lake Buena Vista
I also use undercovertourist.com as a one stop shop for tickets, hotel, rental car and other attraction tickets! They usually have the cheapest price than Disney(or Universal) They have Disney/Universal packages as well!
EXAMPLE: I can get The Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, 1 room for 2 adults for $60/night, $80/night including Breakfast Buffet! This is just an example of what kind of rooms can be reserved on these sites. Most of the hotels for $60-$80 are 3-4 stars and usually have great reviews!

Hotel sites can be found on trivgo.com
You realize any of the sites Hotel sites you mention have prices higher than the actual Hotel's website? Use the sites you mentin ONLY to fnd the best deal for ALL hotel brands, then go direct to the aforementioned cheapest hotel's website.....In your example, the Clarion Inn would have a cheaper rate booking direct through Choice Hotels, NOT booking through trivago. BTW, that Clarion you mention on Palm Parkway is NOT very nice, and the one at 7888 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy (Clarion Maingate) is MUCH NICER

The "Secret" would be to use those sites as as a only hotel finder, not to book through them

eliza61nyc

Another agree that your research is flawed. I got 3 adult, nonstop r/t tickets on American for 900 bucks. No sure how you are coming up with over 3 grand.

Most people fly the wanna get away fares that's why they sell out quickly.

Heck, I found r/t out of Philadelphia for 163 pp, although that was on frontier. With the extra 1200.00 from your price pt. I could get a limo to airport and a rental for the week

Skibum1970

Another agree that your research is flawed. I got 3 adult, nonstop r/t tickets on American for 900 bucks. No sure how you are coming up with over 3 grand.

Most people fly the wanna get away fares that's why they sell out quickly.

Heck, I found r/t out of Philadelphia for 163 pp, although that was on frontier. With the extra 1200.00 from your price pt. I could get a limo to airport and a rental for the week

My first thought was that the "BWI" referenced was overseas. Using Delta or Frontier with "The Works", tickets from Cinci to Orlando were $320/ticket for regular coach (assigned seat selections). I've mainly found the DVC rentals to be good cost-saving sites. I thought about trying VRBO but hadn't developed the intestinal fortitude to try it. Plus, if I have the opportunity to use MM+ (as much as I hate it), I'll go through Disney, DVC Rental (Dave's of DVC Rental Store), or maybe one of the Priceline type sites.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom