A Second Earthquake - 7.1 in Ridgecrest

truecoat

So many people in the Midwest look at this and say, I’d never live there or something to that effect. Many don’t know they are sitting on a ticking time bomb known as the New Madrid Fault line.

Between Dec 1811 and Feb 1812, four 7+ earthquakes hit with one possibly hitting 8. This area is rock hard so the quakes will have more damage over a wider area and I really doubt any structures were built with earthquakes in mind.

7-10% chance of a repeat quake like above and 40-60% chance of a 6 in the next 50 years. Anyone care to roll the dice?

Below is comparable damage areas of similar quakes.

5DCD8CE6-5C30-4B80-9CCB-D326C6F158EB.jpeg

Darkbeer1

So let's look at the aftermath. While Ridgecrest is pretty well back to normal, those closer to the epicenter are not.

>>Weary, thirsty Trona residents struggled Monday, July 8, to arrange for services to the earthquake-damaged community, where they’ve been without running water since the first of the twin earthquakes rattled through the region last week.

In nearby Ridgecrest, services had largely been restored by Monday.

“It’s painful where I am. I don’t have any water at all,” Trona resident Mike Peterson, 51, said as he picked up bottled water from in front of Trona High School. “I’ve gotten so worried I took my kids down to my sister’s house in Victorville, to get them out of harm’s way.”

The area was rocked Friday by a 7.1 temblor centered roughly 11 miles northeast of Ridgecrest, near where Thursday’s 6.4 magnitude quake hit, the USGS said. Thousands of aftershocks continue to rattle the area, including Monday. The two quakes knocked some homes off their foundations, set fire to others, and sent items in stores and homes crashing down. No deaths or major injuries were reported.<<

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

>>The two major earthquakes that struck last week near the town of Ridgecrest had their epicenter in the heart of the North Testing Range at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake — a 1.2 million-acre military aerospace research and development test center in the Mojave Desert that is critical to national defense.
Destruction from the earthquakes — a magnitude 6.4 Thursday, July 4 and a magnitude 7.1 Friday, July 5 — prompted the Navy Region Southwest commander, Rear Adm. Bette Bolivar, to declare the base “not mission capable” and to authorize an evacuation of non-essential personnel — including government workers and Department of Defense contractors — to Naval Base Ventura County. The Ventura County base is composed of three facilities — at Point Mugu, Port Hueneme and San Nicolas Island.
The two major earthquakes that struck last week near the town of Ridgecrest had their epicenter in the heart of the North Testing Range at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake — a 1.2 million-acre military aerospace research and development test center in the Mojave Desert that is critical to national defense.

Destruction from the earthquakes — a magnitude 6.4 Thursday, July 4 and a magnitude 7.1 Friday, July 5 — prompted the Navy Region Southwest commander, Rear Adm. Bette Bolivar, to declare the base “not mission capable” and to authorize an evacuation of non-essential personnel — including government workers and Department of Defense contractors — to Naval Base Ventura County. The Ventura County base is composed of three facilities — at Point Mugu, Port Hueneme and San Nicolas Island.

The earthquakes opened fault lines near major runways and laboratories used to test mission systems on some of the Marine Corps and Navy’s most advanced aircraft, including F-18s, AV8-Harriers and F-35s.
Ed Hackett, a contractor at the naval weapons station, is among those who are now working off base.
“We’re writing reports and doing certain analysis that are the unclassified part of the build-up process for the F-35 B and C flown by the Marine Corps and the Navy,” Hackett said Tuesday, July 9, from his Ridgecrest office.
Engineers and base personnel are inspecting the China Lake buildings for safety and functionality. Any delay in getting the base up and running likely will involve the sensitive measuring devices and technologies used to run the aerospace testing labs.
“A lot of sensitive and classified work has to be conducted in secure facilities,” Hackett said. “These ranges have systems that have to be highly calibrated for timing, distance, and altitude. All the missions systems eventually will have to be tested.”
Workers are now evaluating building that house the weapons systems laboratories and preparing the labs to resume testing, Hackett said.
“All the work, day-to-day, between the government workforce, the military and government contractors is geared to support national security,” Hackett said. “It’s about keeping those aircraft at the top of their mission capabilities.”
Since Monday, Navy personnel have been working with scientists and engineers from the United States Geological Survey to monitor the fractures and frequent aftershocks near the epicenter.

“The epicenter was in an area of mostly open fields in the base’s North Range,” said Helen Haase, a spokeswoman with Navy Region Southwest. “We first checked where the weapons are and everything checked out fine.

The earthquakes opened fault lines near major runways and laboratories used to test mission systems on some of the Marine Corps and Navy’s most advanced aircraft, including F-18s, AV8-Harriers and F-35s.

Ed Hackett, a contractor at the naval weapons station, is among those who are now working off base.

“We’re writing reports and doing certain analysis that are the unclassified part of the build-up process for the F-35 B and C flown by the Marine Corps and the Navy,” Hackett said Tuesday, July 9, from his Ridgecrest office.

Engineers and base personnel are inspecting the China Lake buildings for safety and functionality. Any delay in getting the base up and running likely will involve the sensitive measuring devices and technologies used to run the aerospace testing labs.

“A lot of sensitive and classified work has to be conducted in secure facilities,” Hackett said. “These ranges have systems that have to be highly calibrated for timing, distance, and altitude. All the missions systems eventually will have to be tested.”

Workers are now evaluating building that house the weapons systems laboratories and preparing the labs to resume testing, Hackett said.

“All the work, day-to-day, between the government workforce, the military and government contractors is geared to support national security,” Hackett said. “It’s about keeping those aircraft at the top of their mission capabilities.”

Since Monday, Navy personnel have been working with scientists and engineers from the United States Geological Survey to monitor the fractures and frequent aftershocks near the epicenter.

“The epicenter was in an area of mostly open fields in the base’s North Range,” said Helen Haase, a spokeswoman with Navy Region Southwest. “We first checked where the weapons are and everything checked out fine.”

“The epicenter was in an area of mostly open fields in the base’s North Range,” said Helen Haase, a spokeswoman with Navy Region Southwest. “We first checked where the weapons are and everything checked out fine.”<<

More at the link

Darkbeer1

Let me add, so fortunate that there was no loss of human life, and all injuries were minor. Just Amazing when you see the photos of the aftermath.

I hope that Trona gets its power, and that will allow the water to be pumped around town.

And that China Lake will be Mission Capable quickly.

Of course, folks still expect more quakes, based on what I have heard, maybe a 6 within a week. But who knows, maybe the plates have done shifting for awhile.

But everyone should be prepared for a natural disaster. That means how to take care of your home, store water and food, and have a plan. Many of us have a Go Bag. I use mine occasionally if I have to travel with very short notice, but always make sure it is repacked when I return.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom