A really great post on the state of Epcot

hpyhnt 1000

I think they lost their budgets more than their imaginations. give them a blank cheque and we will see some incredible attractions. Bobby Iger and friends don't let that happen though

While true to some degree, that's not the real problem. One need only look at recent expansions across the Disney parks to see the real issue:
  • New Fantasyland
  • CarsLand
  • Pandora
  • Toy Story Land
  • Star Wars Land
It's not the budgets - just about all of those had/have BIG budgets. The problem is every single one of them relies on an existing IP. Iger's Disney has had a (bizarre) loss of confidence in its ability to create original, standalone theme park experiences. Limiting every new ride to an existing movie or character is what is killing creativity.

No where is that more clear than Epcot.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While true to some degree, that's not the real problem. One need only look at recent expansions across the Disney parks to see the real issue:
  • New Fantasyland
  • CarsLand
  • Pandora
  • Toy Story Land
  • Star Wars Land
It's not the budgets - just about all of those had/have BIG budgets. The problem is every single one of them relies on an existing IP. Iger's Disney has had a (bizarre) loss of confidence in its ability to create original, standalone theme park experiences. Limiting every new ride to an existing movie or character is what is killing creativity.

No where is that more clear than Epcot.
I don't think it has lost confidence so much so as they want a guaranteed home run every time they come to bat when it comes to the parks.

rle4lunch

I don't think it has lost confidence so much so as they want a guaranteed home run every time they come to bat when it comes to the parks.

Disney has nearly always built off of someone else's ideas (insert every adaptation of a Grimm story here), to base their rides on. They have had a few of their own movies that they've created attractions around, but if you think about it around 50% of their sites are existing stories someone else wrote that they modified and ran with...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disney has nearly always built off of someone else's ideas (insert every adaptation of a Grimm story here), to base their rides on. They have had a few of their own movies that they've created attractions around, but if you think about it around 50% of their sites are existing stories someone else wrote that they modified and ran with...
If not more than 50%, but when you look at a park like MK, most of the attractions were original ideas (HM. POTC IASW, BTMRR, etc). About the only exception was FantasyLand which has always been IP central.

Epcot, for a time, was entirely original.

rle4lunch

If not more than 50%, but when you look at a park like MK, most of the attractions were original ideas (HM. POTC IASW, BTMRR, etc). About the only exception was FantasyLand which has always been IP central.

Epcot, for a time, was entirely original.

Agreed, I was amazed my Epcot when I was a kid. My first time to Epcot they hadn't even finished the monorail track running back to the park. I think my parents have pictures of it somewhere.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Agreed, I was amazed my Epcot when I was a kid. My first time to Epcot they hadn't even finished the monorail track running back to the park. I think my parents have pictures of it somewhere.
It was my favorite park as a kid. I could not take thrill rides as a kid and I was a super science geek so attractions like SSE, Horizons and WoM were heaven like on earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom