Trip Report *COMPLETED*A quick trip and a first time trip report

Hi everyone! I've been enjoying WDW trip reports on here for a few months since my sister-in-law @krisri18 introduced me to this site. I decided to write a trip report so I could help beat the blues when we get back and as a way to get information from the experts on here! (Though admittedly, having an in-law expert in @krisri18 means that most of my questions can be answered with a quick text message!)

This trip is a VERY QUICK, two night, three-day trip coming up in THREE DAYS!!!

Who: Me (V), my husband (Z) and our girls L and E

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404189521560.JPG

(This was August 2017 with our boy, Mickey)

What: A very short trip!
When: December 14-16
Where: Wilderness Lodge (the only way I can justify this to my husband or to myself is because it's only 2 nights)
Why: I had been considering Mickey's Backyard BBQ for future trips when word got out that it was closing this year. I half-joked with my husband that we should just go down for a weekend so we could do it before it closes. Plus I really wanted to stay at WL around Christmas time. Z is not as big a fan of Disney as I am. Plus we are planning an August 2019 trip. I'm still not entirely sure how I talked him into this. But I did! All so we could see WL decorations and try Mickey's Backyard BBQ.

The Plan
Friday December 14
Early flight. ME to WL. Rest as much as humanly possible. Either in the room, if it's ready, or by the pool or at Geyser Point.
MVMCP!!!
FP for Big Thunder at 3:25-4:25 (so we are booking it over when we get let in at 4:00!) Mine and L's favorite.
FP for Jingle Cruise 4:30-5:30
FP for Splash Mountain 5:30-6:00 (a family favorite - please let it be warm enough!)
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8085754460.jpeg

E looks scared, but she went on this multiple times during our last trip and really liked it!

After our fast passes, our plans are to check out Moana's line (we have a limit on how long we'll wait, but E and I love her), see the first parade (E likely won't make it to the 11:00 one), fireworks, maybe some stage shows, maybe visit the princesses with their princes, maybe hit up some rides with shorter lines. I predict E and Z won't make it the whole night. We'll see, but I know L is determined to stay to 12:00! I'm right there with her if she does. :)

This brings me to my first question! It's looking like rain all day and night Friday. What closes/cancels for the parties in bad weather? I need to set expectations for the kids (and myself).

Saturday, December 15
Breakfast at Whispering Canyon
Disney Springs for Christmas Tree Trail and meeting Santa
Pool time (hopefully)
Mickey's Backyard BBQ!
Possibly walk through Fort Wilderness to see Christmas decorations, or maybe a sleigh ride? Undecided. Have to see how wiped out we are.

Sunday, December 16
Breakfast at Whispering Canyon (we'll see if we want to go back a second time or just do quick service)
Possibly some morning pool time
Pack up :cry:
Leave bags with Bell services and resort hop to see decorations. We need to do GF and Poly (Z needs a spikey pineapple).
Uber over to Beach Club - Beaches & Cream ADR for 12:30 (We'll see if we keep this. We want to try it but may end up wanting to stay closer to WL).
TE to the airport for a late flight out.
Cry on the airplane and start counting down to August 2019.

Another question: any favorite quick service places on the monorail loop in case we decide not to head over to BC?

NessNewt

Original Poster
Day 3 (last day) Sunday Part 1:

We were moving very slowly Sunday morning. But managed to get up and dressed for a QS breakfast at Roaring Fork. When I realized we were approaching 8:00 AM on our way down I convinced the family to take a quick detour to catch this:

IMG_20181216_075814709.jpg

I thought the geyser was fun but the girls thought it was too loud and Z was too hungry to care. So we enjoyed a nice breakfast at Roaring Fork before Z took the girls to play in the arcade while I packed.

IMG_20181216_091456.jpg

Back in the room the girls enjoyed a blacony moment before we left the room for good.

IMG_20181216_094031406.jpg

IMG_20181216_094039365.jpg

Those stuffed animals were their chosen souvenirs from the trip.

I forgot to mention! While Z was acquiring that cupcake for us the night before I caught a little of the Electrical Water Pageant from the balcony. Not a perfect angle, but it was still neat to catch a little of it.

IMG_20181216_094052111.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the water pageant but here was our view. Very pleasant.

We said goodbye to our room and dropped our bags (and winter coats) at Bell Services since we wouldn't be picked up by Magical Express until 6:00 PM.

Took a ferry to the Contemporary to do a little resort hopping.

IMG_20181216_104520434_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20181216_104934597.jpg

IMG_20181216_112313443.jpg

The giant checkers game was so much fun. But Z and I had to look online for the rules because we couldn't remember how to play! :hilarious: This is especially funny because we are both BOARD GAME people. We own over 100 board games. But it's been a long time since we've played checkers, lol.

IMG_20181216_113415330.jpg

As beautiful as this is we just kind of breezed past it. The girls were more excited when we found the Pixar Play Zone (which we are hoping to utilize next trip). It felt a little crowded in this space and we we're happy to hop on the monorail and move on.

NessNewt

Original Poster
Day 3 Part 2

I love the Poly. Absolutely love it. As much as I understand the appeal of the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian neither of them really do it for me.

But when we stepped off the monorail and walked into the Poly I just felt instantly happy.

We wandered the lobby and the gift shop before heading outside to hit up the Pineapple Lanai.

IMG_20181216_115858.jpg

IMG_20181216_123908319.jpg

See that "grassy" area behind them? The girls just ran around and played in that space for a little while. They really enjoyed it.

We got lunch at Captain Cook's. It was really good. (I totally slacked on the food pictures. I'll take more next trip in case I decide to write a TR again....)

We had gotten DOLE whips with rum from the Pineapple Lanai which I had thought would be like the Spikey Pineapples from Trader Sam's. They were not. Just Dole whip and a shot of coconut rum on the side.

I mean we ate/drank them. But after lunch we needed the real thing. I took the girls to play on the beach while Z headed to TS's terrace.

IMG_20181216_124936942.jpg

They we're designing theme park attractions in the sand. :inlove:

After what was a very long time Z came back with drinks. He warned me they weren't Spikey Pineapples. They were FROSTY pineapples.

The Trader Sam's Terrace didn't open until 4:00 PM. So Z popped by the pool bar to see if there was another place we could get one.

Z: "Is there anyway you can make a Spikey Pineapple?"
CM: "No. I absolutely cannot make a Spikey Pineapple - but I can make a Frost Pineapple."

The CM explained the only difference was the type of rum used and explain, proudly, that the Frosty Pineapple was made with Captain Morgan SELECT.

The verdict? Delicious! And, dare I say, even smoother and more delicious than a Spikey pineapple.

IMG_20181216_130257701.jpg

The man doesn't ask for much on these trips. So it makes me happy when he gets what he wants.

IMG_20181216_130251132.jpg

IMG_20181216_130418306.jpg

After our drinks and the girls playing in the sand we decided to walk over to the Grand Floridian.

It's funny, I was feeling SUPER full at this point and didn't quite understand why. Writing this reminds me of how much drink/food I consumed in a fairly short period of time! Ha!

The walk to GF was easy and quick. But on the way we had a quick, unplanned and very special stop....

DisSplash

While we have done the Hoop-de-Doo Revue a couple of times, we have never done the Backyard BBQ and now I am so sad that I may never get a chance! 😭. I loved your write-up for that, as it was very clear that everyone enjoyed it, and that there was quality character time to be had. I hope that it does come back, especially since it looks to be very popular. I also agree that your checked shirts were the perfect touch for that event. Good thinking mom! 😉

NessNewt

Original Poster
Enjoying your report! The backyard bbq looks like sooooo much fun! Maybe they'll bring it back after they build the new resort over there.

Thanks so much!

While we have done the Hoop-de-Doo Revue a couple of times, we have never done the Backyard BBQ and now I am so sad that I may never get a chance! 😭. I loved your write-up for that, as it was very clear that everyone enjoyed it, and that there was quality character time to be had. I hope that it does come back, especially since it looks to be very popular. I also agree that your checked shirts were the perfect touch for that event. Good thinking mom! 😉

I really hope they bring it back! The shirts worked out perfectly, and this was probably the only time of year we could wear long sleeves.

NessNewt

Original Poster
Day 3 Part 3

(Sorry for the delay!)

On our walk from the Poly to the GF I noticed the wedding pavilion. I pointed it out to Z as we passed a couple who were just exiting.

Couple: You should go look around - it's open today!
:D

I took ONE picture. I was too busy dragging my jaw around on the floor....

IMG_20181216_133949606.jpg

Not even a great picture. But holy cow it was gorgeous. And it was all ours alone for about a minute. I was having trouble catching my breath! Then another group came in and one of the young women in the group started getting teary eyed - I could relate! We decided to give them a private moment and walked over to the bridal suite.

Now I'm not saying I broke into the bridal suite. I tried the door and it opened no problem. But when I opened it, Z noticed the lock looked locked.... Oops? We did a quick walk through and then left just in case we weren't supposed to be there.

IMG_20181216_134156328.jpg

The girls took this self-guides tour as an opportunity for pretend play. Enjoy ladies, because mom and dad can't afford this kind of wedding!

We got a little mixed up when we left the pavilion and ended up walking into the DVC lobby. A wonderful CM (Ed from Kalamazoo) gave us some directions to get to the main lobby, but first gave us a mini tour of the DVC lobby and gave us some ideas for visiting the monorail resorts. (We had pretty much already done all of his suggestions but he was lovely to talk to anyways). We walked over to the main lobby and OH MY.

It was a MADHOUSE.
IMG_20181216_135642.jpg

Z got that picture from the bottom. I herded the girls to the Grand staircase and we went for a top view.

IMG_20181216_135846315.jpg

IMG_20181216_135518581.jpg

I was not enjoying the GF. We went for a walk outside to see the pool area. (And to get me away from the mobs of people).

IMG_20181216_140445995_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

They we're still playing "wedding" I think. I believe L was E's maid of honor here and guiding her around in her "dress".

We got in a MASSIVE line for the monorail and looped back to the Contemporary where we caught a ferry back to Wilderness Lodge.

I had no problem saying goodbye to the GF.

Also, does anyone else find the Grand staircase more difficult to walk up than regular stairs? Maybe my legs are just not used to the larger steps but I felt like I was mountain climbing!

Next up: We brave cool waters and say our goodbyes.

krisri18

Day 3 Part 3

(Sorry for the delay!)

On our walk from the Poly to the GF I noticed the wedding pavilion. I pointed it out to Z as we passed a couple who were just exiting.

Couple: You should go look around - it's open today!
:D

I took ONE picture. I was too busy dragging my jaw around on the floor....

View attachment 342489

Not even a great picture. But holy cow it was gorgeous. And it was all ours alone for about a minute. I was having trouble catching my breath! Then another group came in and one of the young women in the group started getting teary eyed - I could relate! We decided to give them a private moment and walked over to the bridal suite.

Now I'm not saying I broke into the bridal suite. I tried the door and it opened no problem. But when I opened it, Z noticed the lock looked locked.... Oops? We did a quick walk through and then left just in case we weren't supposed to be there.

View attachment 342491

The girls took this self-guides tour as an opportunity for pretend play. Enjoy ladies, because mom and dad can't afford this kind of wedding!

We got a little mixed up when we left the pavilion and ended up walking into the DVC lobby. A wonderful CM (Ed from Kalamazoo) gave us some directions to get to the main lobby, but first gave us a mini tour of the DVC lobby and gave us some ideas for visiting the monorail resorts. (We had pretty much already done all of his suggestions but he was lovely to talk to anyways). We walked over to the main lobby and OH MY.

It was a MADHOUSE. View attachment 342492

Z got that picture from the bottom. I herded the girls to the Grand staircase and we went for a top view.

View attachment 342493

View attachment 342494

I was not enjoying the GF. We went for a walk outside to see the pool area. (And to get me away from the mobs of people).

View attachment 342495

They we're still playing "wedding" I think. I believe L was E's maid of honor here and guiding her around in her "dress".

We got in a MASSIVE line for the monorail and looped back to the Contemporary where we caught a ferry back to Wilderness Lodge.

I had no problem saying goodbye to the GF.

Also, does anyone else find the Grand staircase more difficult to walk up than regular stairs? Maybe my legs are just not used to the larger steps but I felt like I was mountain climbing!

Next up: We brave cool waters and say our goodbyes.
Does L still want to stay at GF? Or is it knocked off her bucket list? Lol

NessNewt

Original Poster
*Text Only Post*

I had forgotten to mention our 'room check' on Saturday. I just wanted to share in case anyone was curious.

Saturday morning I called the front desk to request skipping Housekeeping because I knew we were going to be in and out of the room a lot. It was no problem.

During our afternoon room break, Z and I were sitting out on the balcony when I suddenly heard a voice other than our childrens coming from the room. They had had answered the door and the CM was asking them to get mom and dad when I came in from the balcony. He said he needed to do a room check, so I welcomed him in.

It was very awkward. He was asking how everything was, did we need anything, any issues with the bunk beds, etc. But there is that level of "come in and see we don't have guns stashed or a trash can fire" underlying the experience. Maybe it wasn't awkward for the CM, but I just didn't know what to say.

He only stayed for a minute, we talked about the bunk beds and he double checked to make sure the railings were secure. Then he left.

I have no problem with them doing room checks, and the experience was brief. Just wanted to share in case anyone was curious!

NessNewt

Original Poster
Day 3 Part 4

Wilderness Lodge has some bathrooms somewhat near the pool where we all got changed into bathing suits for more pool time.

I did t take any pool pictures so sorry if this is text heavy!

The pool was *just* this side of too cold for Z and I. We went in with the girls, but quickly wanted back out. E had a life jacket on and L could touch the bottom where we were. So Z and I got out, alternated watching the girls and getting changed, and let the girls enjoy their time.

Z also got us more waffle fries and drinks from Geyser Point.

The girls had a fantastic time swimming and sliding and making friends.

One event that happened was that I witnessed a lifeguard jump in to save a little girl. (Not full blown Baywatch, the little girl had just been struggling and she kept her afloat and brought her to mom). I witnessed the parents speaking to a head lifeguard person after the experience. Dad had not witnessed it and was definitely in denial. "But why didn't you just swim to the edge? You can swim!" Mom recognized she was probably exhausted and had swam too much. I could tell they were both upset. But what a great example of Disney's lifeguards doing a great job!

After a lot of swimming we got the girls changed and headed to Roaring Fork for some dinner.

IMG_20181216_165202036.jpg

IMG_20181216_170316072.jpg

Oh look! A food picture! Z liked this sandwich a lot.

After Roaring Fork we did a walk around the gift shop and got our bags from Bell Services before taking a seat in front of the tree and soaking it all in.

IMG_20181216_175437387.jpg

IMG_20181216_175032891.jpg

IMG_20181216_175836615_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

We headed out to catch the TE. I was feeling VERY tragical.

Got to the airport and came to a horrendous security experience. It was so backed up and crowded. As we got closer we ended up near pleasant people which always makes the experience better. They were commiserating with L about the wait and I really appreciated their kindness.

Some non-security airport pics:
IMG_20181216_192507692.jpg

IMG_20181216_191543617.jpg

We eventually got to what I thought was our gate.

Now bear in mind WL had printed our boarding passes for us.

And I was very tired at this point.

I realized we should be boarding by this point. I check my phone to see if the flight is delayed. It's not. I tell Zach I think it's going to be delayed. We are waiting and waiting.

Then we hear an announcement calling for us to come to the gate because they are getting ready to close the doors.

We were at the wrong gate!

We run Home Alone style the whole three gates away.

I apologized to the people taking boarding passes and tell them we were at the wrong gate. They ask which one because they are still missing someone. I tell them and I think they put in a call to that gate.

I apologized excessively to the flight attendants. They were very kind and told me not to worry.

But lesson learned. Our boarding passes did have the wrong gate. I should have checked once we were in the airport.

We flew home, the girls both falling asleep. We landed, took the shuttle to our car and drove home.

Final thoughts

It was a great weekend! I love Wilderness Lodge - it was so comfortable and cozy.

MVMCP was a blast. But I'm not sure if we'll ever feel the need to do it again.

I hope Mickey's Backyard BBQ comes back!

I doubt we'll feel the need to go back to Disney Springs unless it's for a restaurant.

Resort hopping is so much fun! Already planning a Pixar Play Zone/Monorail crawl night for our next trip....

Thanks for following along!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom