Trip Report *COMPLETED*A quick trip and a first time trip report

Hi everyone! I've been enjoying WDW trip reports on here for a few months since my sister-in-law @krisri18 introduced me to this site. I decided to write a trip report so I could help beat the blues when we get back and as a way to get information from the experts on here! (Though admittedly, having an in-law expert in @krisri18 means that most of my questions can be answered with a quick text message!)

This trip is a VERY QUICK, two night, three-day trip coming up in THREE DAYS!!!

Who: Me (V), my husband (Z) and our girls L and E

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404189521560.JPG

(This was August 2017 with our boy, Mickey)

What: A very short trip!
When: December 14-16
Where: Wilderness Lodge (the only way I can justify this to my husband or to myself is because it's only 2 nights)
Why: I had been considering Mickey's Backyard BBQ for future trips when word got out that it was closing this year. I half-joked with my husband that we should just go down for a weekend so we could do it before it closes. Plus I really wanted to stay at WL around Christmas time. Z is not as big a fan of Disney as I am. Plus we are planning an August 2019 trip. I'm still not entirely sure how I talked him into this. But I did! All so we could see WL decorations and try Mickey's Backyard BBQ.

The Plan
Friday December 14
Early flight. ME to WL. Rest as much as humanly possible. Either in the room, if it's ready, or by the pool or at Geyser Point.
MVMCP!!!
FP for Big Thunder at 3:25-4:25 (so we are booking it over when we get let in at 4:00!) Mine and L's favorite.
FP for Jingle Cruise 4:30-5:30
FP for Splash Mountain 5:30-6:00 (a family favorite - please let it be warm enough!)
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8085754460.jpeg

E looks scared, but she went on this multiple times during our last trip and really liked it!

After our fast passes, our plans are to check out Moana's line (we have a limit on how long we'll wait, but E and I love her), see the first parade (E likely won't make it to the 11:00 one), fireworks, maybe some stage shows, maybe visit the princesses with their princes, maybe hit up some rides with shorter lines. I predict E and Z won't make it the whole night. We'll see, but I know L is determined to stay to 12:00! I'm right there with her if she does. :)

This brings me to my first question! It's looking like rain all day and night Friday. What closes/cancels for the parties in bad weather? I need to set expectations for the kids (and myself).

Saturday, December 15
Breakfast at Whispering Canyon
Disney Springs for Christmas Tree Trail and meeting Santa
Pool time (hopefully)
Mickey's Backyard BBQ!
Possibly walk through Fort Wilderness to see Christmas decorations, or maybe a sleigh ride? Undecided. Have to see how wiped out we are.

Sunday, December 16
Breakfast at Whispering Canyon (we'll see if we want to go back a second time or just do quick service)
Possibly some morning pool time
Pack up :cry:
Leave bags with Bell services and resort hop to see decorations. We need to do GF and Poly (Z needs a spikey pineapple).
Uber over to Beach Club - Beaches & Cream ADR for 12:30 (We'll see if we keep this. We want to try it but may end up wanting to stay closer to WL).
TE to the airport for a late flight out.
Cry on the airplane and start counting down to August 2019.

Another question: any favorite quick service places on the monorail loop in case we decide not to head over to BC?

NessNewt

Original Poster
I will start formally reporting soon! Last week of school before holidays (I'm a teacher-librarian) and now impending holidays have kept me very busy.

Songbird76

When we were in MCO on Saturday, security was awful. They had us in what I can only describe as a holding area (like the HM's sinking room), until they corralled us into lines. We lucked out that the just opened another line right when we got corralled and went through in *only* 40 minutes. One of the TSA agents even said this wasn't that bad, usually the line goes way further back. All I kept thinking of was the video on the TE that says how the Orlando experience continues into MCO and it's one of the best airports in the country.
That's supposed to be a great airport? What are they comparing it to? When we went in 2010, my DS was 2 and he had these Cars crocks that he LOVED. For some reason, they made us go through 3 different security checkpoints after LANDING, and DS had to take those crocs off every time and he SCREAMED. He thought they were stealing his shoes. We didn't understand why we had to go through security to LEAVE the airport, but they screened us once when we got off the plane, again when we picked up our luggage, and then again when we went through customs. It was crazy. Then on the way back, we had a 7 hour delay and we had to sit in the check-in line for 3 hours so we didn't lose our spot because they wouldn't tell us when the line would open or how long the flight was going to be delayed....it could open any minute....or not. If that's one of the best, which ones are worst?

Minnesota disney fan

OP, my husband and I were at WDW when you were. I was surprised at the cold weather, and the rain for 2 days. We got caught in Epcot in the rain, not fun. I only brought summer tshirts and capris. I ended up wearing my going home to cold weather outfit of jeans and long sleeved tshirt. I brought a sweater and Disney hoodie, but that was not enough. I learned my lesson to pack more jeans/sweaters. Hope you guys did alright on your trip. At least it was Disney and it was a lot of fun despite the weather.

NessNewt

Original Poster
OP, my husband and I were at WDW when you were. I was surprised at the cold weather, and the rain for 2 days. We got caught in Epcot in the rain, not fun. I only brought summer tshirts and capris. I ended up wearing my going home to cold weather outfit of jeans and long sleeved tshirt. I brought a sweater and Disney hoodie, but that was not enough. I learned my lesson to pack more jeans/sweaters. Hope you guys did alright on your trip. At least it was Disney and it was a lot of fun despite the weather.

The worst part of the rain for us was that I didn't pack any extra shoes - and ours got SOAKED. We ended up buying shoes. The rain on our MVMCP night was a bummer, but the parade and fireworks still happened, so not too bad. I had kept a really close eye on the forecast for the weekend and the predictions changed over and over and over again. It seems December in Florida can really be anything!

Minnesota disney fan

The worst part of the rain for us was that I didn't pack any extra shoes - and ours got SOAKED. We ended up buying shoes. The rain on our MVMCP night was a bummer, but the parade and fireworks still happened, so not too bad. I had kept a really close eye on the forecast for the weekend and the predictions changed over and over and over again. It seems December in Florida can really be anything!

I always bring 2 more pairs of shoes, so the rain didn't catch us with wet feet. But being cold and wet in summer clothes wasn't fun. I learned my lesson and from now on I will bring jeans and sweaters, no matter when we visit:)

NessNewt

Original Poster
Day One: Friday December 14 Part 1

Our day started with a 3:30 AM alarm going off. We managed to get out the door with no issues. Got to the airport and through security fairly quickly and got a little breakfast at Dunkin. By the time we ate, did a bathroom run and threw away our garbage, it was time to get on the plane.

L napped on the plane ride.
IMG_20181214_075734046.jpg

E did not.
IMG_20181214_071708589.jpg

We landed and immediately had a moment of pixie dust! As we walked towards ME a woman stopped me and asked if we had just gotten to Florida and we're we headed to Disney world. I said yes and she handed me some tiny pieces of paper saying her sister was a CM but they hadn't gotten to use them. I said thank you and we kept going on our way. I honestly wasn't sure if they were legit so I sent a picture to @krisri18
IMG_20181214_094153_01.jpg

Three fast passes, each good up to 5 people each.... Too good to be true, right? But K confirmed for me that they were legit! OK, we'll make this happen!

More magic when we turned up to the magical Express, walked right on, left immediately and were the first stop!

IMG_20181214_094058190.jpg

IMG_20181214_100724482.jpg

We walked into the lobby and had a "WOW" moment. Dropped the bags off at Bell services (had gotten an email that our room wasn't ready yet) and explored a little.

IMG_20181214_102603771.jpg

Pictures don't do it justice. This tree is beyond stunning.
IMG_20181214_102255717.jpg

Z was starving, but Geyser Point wasn't open yet. We grabbed a couple of quick snacks at Roaring Fork before wandering over to Geyser Point for their 11:00 AM opening.

IMG_20181214_105331876.jpg

10:30 AM Mickey bar! Making good choices.

IMG_20181214_113523614.jpg

Z happy I was finally feeding him.

Z got a salmon sandwich and a whippersnapper sour. I got the chicken wings and their version of a Long Island Iced Tea. Everything was delicious. (I'll include pictures in the next post).

After our lunch we walked around a bit and Z and E went to ask at the front desk if our room was ready. They were able to get us into a room so we grabbed our bags and headed up!

Attachments

• IMG_20181214_114259395.jpg
    IMG_20181214_114259395.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 33

NessNewt

Original Poster
Friday Part 2

lunch pictures
IMG_20181214_114259395.jpg

IMG_20181214_114302872.jpg

Note how most of the food was eaten before it occurred to me to take a picture. Also note that Z clearly has a turkey sandwich and not salmon. :facepalm:

We had a small surprise for our girls with the room.

IMG_20181214_122235655.jpg

BUNK BEDS!!!

They loved the bunk beds, but we spent the weekend reminding them to be safe/refereeing who got the top or bottom/etc. I don't think I'd be eager to have them again...

We settled in, watched some Must Do and changed into bathing suits to go take a dip. It was *just* warm enough for me and Z. We all enjoyed the slide a lot. Then the girls made a new friend at the splash area. (They LOVE other kids. They make friends everywhere with everyone.) We also took a few quick dips in the hot tubs before heading back up to the room to get ready for MVMCP.

We caught the ferry over - what a pleasant way to get around! Got through security and found ourselves AN HOUR early for the party. We took some pictures to kill about 5 minutes.

IMG_20181214_150730990.jpg

Then lined up. I was nervous. I didn't think the girls could handle waiting until 4:00 to be let in. Z pulled out Pokemon Go to help pass the time.
IMG_20181214_152845291.jpg

CMs started coming over around 3:20/3:30. They actually ended up letting us in around 3:40!!! We got our bands and went to the right. Stopped for a quick picture and our Santa cookies.

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414930579487.JPG

We headed straight back to 7 dwarves mine train to try out one of the paper FP's. No issues, the CM took it, confirmed there were 4 of us, and in we went!

L, Z and I love this ride. E, sweet girl that she is, tolerates it for us.

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8298606565.jpeg

Lol! She's not about to vomit, to be clear. This is also a step up from the look of horror on her face when we first rode this in August 2017.

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8083743311.jpeg

At one point she yelled, "This is NOT Winnie the Pooh!" :hilarious:

From there we used another paper FP for Peter Pan. Z was not impressed. He said if he had waited in the regular queue he would've been disappointed. From there we had our regular FP at BTMR.

This was E's first time on this ride!
IMG_20181214_163227735.jpg

Again... She tolerated it.

Next we had a FP for Jingle cruise. This was very fun and we had a great skipper. Also, I think it's worth noting, we just had a great boat - people were laughing and smiling. It makes the ride more fun.

After JC we decided we needed sustenance. We mobile ordered some Pecos Bill and ate fairly quickly before heading to SM for our last FP.

FP was completely unnecessary. It was a walk on.

5 rides down, plus dinner and the party hadn't even started! We all walked over to the Tiki room where Moana was already meeting. The CM estimated a 30 minute wait. L wasn't interested. E was on the fence about waiting THAT long. (Oh, brother, are they spoiled by FP). I told her it was only going to get worse. So she and I headed in to wait and Z and L took a spin on the magic carpets.

Almost exactly 30 minutes later:

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414931349355.JPG

Worth it!

E and I grabbed a ride on the magic carpets while Z and L were catching the Frozen show at the castle before heading to Buzz. Eventually we found them in Tomorrow Land where we hopped on the people mover to make our plan of attack.

I should pause to mention this was a very wet night. It had clearly rained earlier because there were puddles everywhere and it occasionally rained throughout the night. We had a LOT of luck with lines and short waits. But I think the bad weather helped with that.

More coming soon!

NessNewt

Original Poster
Friday Part 3

This is where the night gets a little fuzzy for me. I know it was raining. I believe we took a bathroom break and then got our first treats of the evening. Sno cones and cookies. We also got some popcorn and then made our way over towards the Barnstormer per E's request. We got sidetracked by the Disney Jr dance party with Vampirina.

IMG_20181214_193755831_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

This was cute and the girls both love Vampirina, so they were happy. Except then Timon showed up and E was not impressed by "Vampirina's sidekick". She got a little nervous at that point.
IMG_20181214_193844.jpg

:hilarious: They started playing Power line, which is my jam, and Z caught me grooving, ha ha ha!

Seeing it eye to eye

After a few minutes of dancing we hit up more cookies right outside, passed Donald and Scrooge making their way to their photo spot while sharing an umbrella (it was such a fun sight! Wish I had gotten a picture) and convinced L we would skip waiting an hour for meeting the dwarves.

Barnstormer time! We rode it once and were told we could stay on to ride again. L and Z stayed, but E was one and done.

IMG_20181214_195026404.jpg

We headed to find a spot for the parade - it was already pretty late to be looking for a spot so I guided us towards Frontierland thinking it'd be less crowded. We found a spot behind a couple and baby whose stroller the girls could see over. Without us asking they smooshed in and turned the stroller so the girls could be at the rope. So thoughtful!

IMG_20181214_203225.jpg

The parade started early because of the weather and I'm 99% sure this isn't what this float is typically:

IMG_20181214_204024.jpg

No matter! It was a great parade but E (who you'll recall did NOT nap on the plane) was falling asleep standing. We had promised we would get a stroller at some point in the night for her when she git too tired. She was ready but we knew we wouldn't be able to get to the front of the park until the parade calmed down. So we grabbed some more cookies and treats in Fantasyland and E and Z rode Winnie the Pooh. L and I hit up the teacups.

IMG_20181214_210443786.jpg

We also hit up Dumbo and Barnstormer 3 times. L definitely enjoyed being able to walk on to Barnstormer! Z and E went to get the stroller and the special party cards. By the time we met them in Tomorrowland E was down for the count.

IMG_20181214_214411.jpg

Clutching her Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom card!

We did another run of snow cones and headed over to the Tomorrow land bridge to watch the fireworks. It was not at all crowded on the bridge and I really liked that.

IMG_20181214_221045699.jpg

They were so bright! The smoke from all the fireworks didn't seem to move or blow away - the castle was impossible to see because of it! But the music and fireworks themselves were wonderful.

Z decided to take E back to the room. L and I decided to do another spin on the people mover to make our plan.

IMG_20181214_221826092.jpg

Both clearly exhausted but determined to make it to midnight!

L wanted to meet the dwarves. I conceded. I had no desire to meet them. I didn't want to wait in a long line. But it was important to her, so I said yes. We walked over and I asked how long a wait. The CM said 45 minutes but I swear she winked at me. We went in and I noticed the line didn't seem terribly long. I texted @krisri18. Then I texted her when we were done.

18 minutes!!!!

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414933821105.JPG

She wanted to try 7 dwarves mine train again. I agreed, but first something for me...

NessNewt

Original Poster
Friday Part 4 (I swear I'm almost done!)

For me:
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414933969217.JPG

There was no line for this and I had been wanting to try it!

Then we got in line for mine train. And rode it! But apparently I didn't download the photo. It was probably about a 20 minute wait.

Last we headed over to Big Thunder Mountain and rode it twice. The first time in the front per L's request, the second time in the back per my request. (She now agrees the back is better). We saw lightning on our second ride and walked off at 11:58 PM. It was the perfect way to end the night! We strolled to the front. I made L stop for too many pictures. She was done.

IMG_20181215_000643096.jpg

We were drenched. And exhausted. Took the ferry back to WL, changed into PJs and CRASHED.

Final thoughts on MVMCP:

We had a lot of fun. But I found we subconsciously avoided crowds and as a result didn't really take in any stage shows. I don't think we'd do it again despite the fact that we love Christmas - but I'm also glad we went.

Friday Part 4 (I swear I'm almost done!)

For me:
View attachment 337733

There was no line for this and I had been wanting to try it!

Then we got in line for mine train. And rode it! But apparently I didn't download the photo. It was probably about a 20 minute wait.

Last we headed over to Big Thunder Mountain and rode it twice. The first time in the front per L's request, the second time in the back per my request. (She now agrees the back is better). We saw lightning on our second ride and walked off at 11:58 PM. It was the perfect way to end the night! We strolled to the front. I made L stop for too many pictures. She was done.

View attachment 337735

We were drenched. And exhausted. Took the ferry back to WL, changed into PJs and CRASHED.

Final thoughts on MVMCP:

We had a lot of fun. But I found we subconsciously avoided crowds and as a result didn't really take in any stage shows. I don't think we'd do it again despite the fact that we love Christmas - but I'm also glad we went.

That photo of you and your daughter with the lantern is GORGEOUS. Great trip report!!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
My DD and I were at Disneyland Paris last week and ended our day walking off Big Thunder just as the park closed too - I agree it’s the best ride to finish the day 😀. It was a really foggy night too, which added a bit of creepy and extra fun to the ride because you couldn’t really see the rest of the park during the ride.

NessNewt

Original Poster
My DD and I were at Disneyland Paris last week and ended our day walking off Big Thunder just as the park closed too - I agree it’s the best ride to finish the day 😀. It was a really foggy night too, which added a bit of creepy and extra fun to the ride because you couldn’t really see the rest of the park during the ride.

It really is the perfect way to end the night!

NessNewt

Original Poster
Day 2 Saturday December 15

The girls woke up fairly early on Saturday. I put on some Disney Jr. to keep them occupied while I snoozed a bit. Once Z was up we discussed our shoe situation.

My shoes, L's shoes and E's shoes were drenched. I foolishly did not pack a second pair. So I convinced Z to go check out the gift shop to see if he could find anything. No luck. So I attempted to dry our shoes as well as I could with some towels and a hair dryer before we headed down to Whispering Canyon for breakfast.

IMG_20181215_084009236.jpg

The only picture I took of breakfast. #priorities

The food was great, the mimosa was 'eh'. The server was fun. She called my husband "big daddy" after my children responded when she called him "sweetie". :hilarious: The ketchup game was happening. Another server spent most of our time there balancing a tray on her head. I really do enjoy this place.

After breakfast we caught a bus to Disney Springs. The wait for the bus was pretty long (well over 20 minutes, but I don't think we hit 40 minutes). We had never been to DS before but our priority was new shoes. So our first stop was into the World of Disney. We found shoes but I had a hard time accepting the price tag so we said we would come back if we couldn't find anything else. (Spoiler alert: we came back).

We wandered around a bit and I found the place to claim our virtual spot in line for meeting Santa. I was told it would be 2.5 hours but that included a 30 minute wait once we got a text to head to the chalet.

We spent the next two hours just browsing shops and grabbing some lunch at Earl of Sandwich.

IMG_20181215_123826942.jpg

IMG_20181215_130130611.jpg

IMG_20181215_130210991.jpg

Here's my thing. I don't like shopping with my children and I don't like crowds while shopping. I'm not sure why I assumed I'd feel differently at Disney Springs, but maybe I thought some Disney magic would make it more bearable?

It did not.

They had fun, and lunch was wonderful, but I was getting a bit grouchy at this point. We moved to the Christmas tree trail as we approached the time I was expecting our text for the Santa meet. This was really cool.

IMG_20181215_131955515.jpg

They had to thematically pose at each spot.

We got trhough the trail and still no text. I was starting to feel antsy because this was the night of the backyard BBQ and I knew we needed some time to get ready before heading out. My husband and I decided we should call it but I didn't want to deny the girls a chance of seeing Santa. (I had been avoiding Santa meet and greets this season in anticipation of meeting him here). They SHOCKED me when they said they were fine heading back to Wilderness Lodge without meeting Santa.

Because, as they reminded me, they HAD seen Santa this year. He was visiting our neighbors for dinner recently and they called us outside for a two second hello. (Apparently that was good enough for them - OK!) :hilarious:

We headed to the bus stop and I was full blown cranky by now. Z, who is generally NOT the optimist in our relationship, managed to get me to look on the bright side and keep me positive. We took the bus back and got decked out in our plaid to get ready for the evening activities!

NessNewt

Original Poster
Day 2 Saturday Part 2

After a very quick rest/break, we got dressed and headed down to the ferry.

IMG_20181215_164136111.jpg

Loved this wreath!

We actually got cut off for the first ferry that came - a lot of people we're heading to Fort Wilderness! But we got on the next. It was such a relaxing, peaceful ride over.

While we were at Fort Wilderness it almost felt that we had left Disneyworld. It felt so secluded and peaceful. I really get the appeal for staying here, though camping isn't really my style.

We found the pavilion without any problems.

IMG_20181215_165911927.jpg

We had to wait in a line for it to open up because we didn't have the first seating. L and E made a friend and found a safe place just outside of the "line" to play with her. They had been SUPER whiny when we first got in line, so it was nice to have them distracted. We called them back when the line started heading it and I was so impressed with how organized the CMs were! I thought it would just be a free for all once we got in, but there was more order and a CM walked us to our section of picnic table. Since we didn't have to have our spot "claimed", it was just ours, we all went straight to getting food.

I didn't get any pictures of the food. But it was very standard 'backyard' food. Hamburgers, hot dogs, pulled pork, coleslaw, Mac n cheese, watermelon.... For our family, it was perfect. Was it the most delicious food ever? No, but it was good and hit the spot and our children actually ate it, so I'm calling it a win.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181215185243681_COVER.jpg

Oh! And there was cornbread. Which E actually had for dessert.

Z and I also enjoyed a few beers throughout the night. The line for the bar was always manageable, even at it's peak.

We also enjoyed more than our fair share of Mickey I've cream bars, orange popsicles and for Z, a build your own strawberry shortcake.

IMG_20181215_181806950_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

We had our own paper towel roll on our section of picnic bench. It was necessary.

As far as the entertainment goes, it was NON-STOP. The band playing music, characters coming out and dancing, kids getting up to dance, cowboy Trevor.... It was great.

And then when the characters weren't out dancing, they were meeting throughout the night at different areas in the pavilion.

Most of the night was spent with the girls running off to dance with the characters and all the other kids (which they LOVE, they are super outgoing and social) and Z and I pounding back Mickey ice cream and beer.

It was amazing.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181215185633666_COVER.jpg

IMG_20181215_190255.jpg

IMG_20181215_182749.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_414941806080.JPG

While the girls were watching cowboy Trevor's rope tricks from the sidelines of the dance floor, we noticed these two meeting right next to us with three families in line.

Me: Let's go grab the girls and get in line for a picture with Mickey and Minnie.
Z: Nah, they're having fun. Why don't we just get in line just the two of us?

:eek::happy:

In that moment I realized how much of a fun, relaxing time we were having, because I was genuinely shocked to hear my husband suggest that. I was game! But we also got some other pictures with the girls during the night.

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_414942539725.JPG

L gave Chip and Dale acorns she had found.

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_414942718854.JPG

We had so much fun at this event. I actually think it's my favorite Disney experience. I'm sad it's closing and all my fingers and toes are crossed that they bring it someday. Either way, I'm so so so glad we had this experience.

NessNewt

Original Poster
Day 2 Saturday Part 3

The girls played for awhile on the playground at Fort Wilderness. We looked into the sleigh rides but they were all booked up for the night. The girls were definitely tired and I was feeling it too, so we took a quick selfie before taking the ferry back to WL.

IMG_20181215_195230.jpg

On the ferry ride we heard all about the shoe tree.

IMG_20181215_202457.jpg

This ferry captain was excellent and gave us a lot of fun facts.

We made our way back to the room and the girls got into pjs. I convinced everyone to venture out to the hall with me to watch Happily Ever After fireworks from the windows. Z found the music on YouTube and tried to match it to the show, without any luck. Unfortunately, the girls couldn't hang.

IMG_20181215_211333.jpg

We walked back to our room and they fell asleep quickly. Z ran down to quick service and we shared this cupcake on the balcony.

IMG_20181215_215042941.jpg

It was delicious! And very, very cute.

Z and I crashed shortly after.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom