A physician’s thoughts after spending 16 nights at Universal and Disney

MickeyLuv'r

a) this isn't advertising
b) saying you enjoy something doesn't mean you're endorsing it, even if you're a doctor
c) the next word in the phrase you quoted was "recommend." OP isn't recommending anything -- he's providing his observations
d) for a self-professed "MickeyLuv'r," you seem pretty down on a poster who reported having a good time at WDW despite being under pandemic precautions

Aristotle defined Ethos.
I said the gum slogan was an example of Ethos.
It is, and using at an example of Ethos comes straight out of the Common Core Curriculum, and many other reputable sources.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

IMO, the OP mentioned the fact that he is a physician so that he wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of a "google" medics questioning his every action. The old, "Don't you know that doctors say you should do/not do xyz?"

Yes he already knows, so no need to bring it up. The OP may not be an expert in infectious diseases , but has a bit more medical understanding of a medical situation than a lawyer, accountant, teacher, etc.

He made an informed decision using more information than the average person. He is not advocating, from what I've read, that anyone else do the same. I would not be comfortable going to WDW right now - I wouldn't care who told me they felt safe doing so. But that is my decision based on my personal situation/interpretation of medical data.
You should change your decision bc I said so! 🤣

Is it the plane travel that worries you? Understandable.

But once you’re at WDW, you’re safer than probably anywhere you go locally. Unless you stay in your house 100% of the time, you still have infection opportunities in Wherever, USA.

Not trying to change your mind though.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think that's exactly where opinions differ in this thread. What = medical advice?

Yet, I also think we are mostly saying the same thing. For the record, I merely said his opinion might be misconstrued as giving medical advice.

I keep thinking of that old commercial for sugarless gum, "four out of five dentists surveyed...." Why did the gum company use that as their slogan for so many years? Because it sold gum.

The above is classic ethos technique! Straight out of the definition of the technique, "When an esteemed public figure endorses a product, it validates it to the end consumer. An ethos advertisement plays off the consumer’s respect for a given spokesperson. "

To put it even more succinctly, "Ethos persists as the quickest way to cut through clutter and establish trust with your audience."
I reread all the posts, including the three you cited, and I didn't see any of them treat the OP's post as medical advice. I think the disagreement is more over whether the opinion of a physician on whether it's safe to visit WDW deserves more weight than a layperson's. As The Mom pointed out, that's a matter for the people reading the posts to decide. There is certainly enough information out there as to what is known or not known about Covid to let people decide for themselves whether a doctor's opinion is more valuable than anyone else's.

Where an anonymous post is involved, the poster could be an incompetent doctor or not be a doctor at all. That's why I said earlier that no reasonable person would take medical advice from an anonymous poster on the internet.

Personally, I like when posters provide some background about their knowledge/experience. It helps me decide how relevant that person's opinion is to someone in my own circumstances. Also, I think it (sometimes) fosters a sense of community that is kind of nice, especially now. Of course, you always first have to make a judgment on the credibility of the post. Some of the most detailed posts I've seen have been, in my opinion, the work of an overactive imagination combined with too much free time.

The Mom

Premium Member
You should change your decision bc I said so! 🤣

Is it the plane travel that worries you? Understandable.

But once you’re at WDW, you’re safer than probably anywhere you go locally. Unless you stay in your house 100% of the time, you still have infection opportunities in Wherever, USA.

Not trying to change your mind though.

No plane. Just in a high risk age group, and I only do what is essential these days. Because I have the luxury to do so.

MickeyLuv'r

I'm usually not one to post anything remotely controversial, so I've been a bit surprised by the reaction I've received in this thread. My posts don't usually trigger much of a reaction from anyone. Yesterday, I said I liked WDW's chocolate chip cookies, and that got a like. That's my usual level of controversy, and I joined this forum back in 2004.

Like many of you, I'm worried about my family, my community, our county, and the future of our country. I'm also worried about the future of WDW. These are heavy days.

I dunno, as I said earlier, we don't really know each other. At times, it feels like some of your screen names are getting familiar, but the level of vitriol towards me in this thread is disheartening. I've been called nuts, a troll, anti-social, disingenuous....

This is just sad.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm usually not one to post anything remotely controversial, so I've been a bit surprised by the reaction I've received in this thread. My posts don't usually trigger much of a reaction from anyone. Yesterday, I said I liked WDW's chocolate chip cookies, and that got a like. That's my usual level of controversy, and I joined this forum back in 2004.

Like many of you, I'm worried about my family, my community, our county, and the future of our country. I'm also worried about the future of WDW. These are heavy days.

I dunno, as I said earlier, we don't really know each other. At times, it feels like some of your screen names are getting familiar, but the level of vitriol towards me in this thread is disheartening. I've been called nuts, a troll, anti-social, disingenuous....

This is just sad.
I hope I didn’t say anything that felt like a personal attack - if so, I didn’t intend it. I know what you mean about the name-calling. Someone called me “fat” on another thread because I reported that DH and I were consistently given our own Skyliner gondola; I’m actually 5’4” and 115 pounds. I wish people would concentrate more on the content of the posts and less on insults, but it’s the nature of anonymous posts on the internet.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

This is just sad.
To my mind, the only controversy you posted was equating the doctor's trip report to an endorsement. Neither I nor several others saw it as such. In rereading the thread, I note that your first post was very positive toward the OP; hence, my confusion when you ran down the "Ethos" rabbit hole.

Chef Mickey

This is just sad.
I wasn't offended bro. People are so sensitive and all or nothing. No gray areas.

And this virus sucks, but it’s not even close to worst thing ever and it isn’t even the worst public health risk. Even the fallout of this virus has gray areas, needs critical thinking, and have different schools or thought. We are sad about the 160,000 that have died...so people don’t need to start attacking. But everything requires perspective and thought.

I think some people in some cases actually want it to be bad and are pulling for more drama.

The Mom

Premium Member

This is just sad.

I suspect the OP was also surprised by the reaction and vitriol (some posts have been deleted because of it) he has received in this thread.

bdearl41

I think the odd thing about all of this is it’s all still free will. If you want to go then go. The OP was just giving some insight into their thoughts from a position that knows a bit more about this than the general populace. I’ve never seen a time where one group of people is so adamant about another group not being allowed to do what they think is best for their family. No one who is going out and about is making those at home go out. Why is it so bad the other direction? If you want to stay home then do it. But stop telling everyone else they are idiots.

MickeyLuv'r

I gather perhaps you haven't been reading the main Covid-19 thread? (Admittedly, I mostly stopped reading it some time ago.)

Many posts had to be pulled from that thread, and they thoroughly came from BOTH sides of the debate.

bdearl41

I gather perhaps you haven't been reading the main Covid-19 thread? (Admittedly, I mostly stopped reading it some time ago.)

Many posts had to be pulled from that thread, and they thoroughly came from BOTH sides of the debate.
You’re right I have decided to avoid places where people talk out of their butts and will only listen to their echo chamber thought process. I was interested to see what a doctor though and for this person to be criticized on simply their opinion and experience is grotesque. But I suppose this is the world we live in now. The extremes of two sides talking over the 90% of normal folks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom