A physician’s thoughts after spending 16 nights at Universal and Disney

MickeyLuv'r

It would be irresponsible for me to give advice to people I don't know anything about, medical histories, risk factors, etc.
I find it amazing that some people are so affected by the internet and message boards that they assign some kind of nefarious idea that I'm trying to manipulate people into going to Disney. You guys caught me, I actually work for Iger and Chapek and am trying to inflate the stock price because I'm so important that I know people will absolutely read what I said and divine the subliminal message of "Go to Disney World, it's safe!" found within. Ugh.

I also read you original post as an endorsement of WDW and Universal, even with the qualifiers you added.
I’m happy to report that we all had a great time and had a highly enjoyable trip. Universal was great...

Those 2 sentences= an endorsement.

And that struck me as a little odd, because an endorsement from a doctor could be misconstrued as giving medical advice.

And that struck me as something many doctors would try to avoid, in any way, shape, or form for a variety of reasons.

Buried20KLeague

I also read you original post as an endorsement of WDW and Universal, even with the qualifiers you added.

And that struck me as a little odd, because an endorsement from a doctor could be misconstrued as giving medical advice.

And that struck me as something many doctors would try to avoid, in any way, shape, or form for a variety of reasons.

Good lord. You people are nuts.

@durangojim , thanks for the post. 95% of us understood where you were coming from, and why you mentioned the medical background.

denyuntilcaught

The mental gymnastics here would make Simone Biles jealous.

MickeyLuv'r

huh.

personal attacks

didn't see THAT coming.

What's the going fine if Ms. Biles wears the wrong brand logo on her jacket to a filmed sporting event?

(NFL player wearing the wrong logo = $5,000 fine. And that's just for wearing it on camera.)

denyuntilcaught

huh.

personal attacks

didn't see THAT coming.

What's the going fine if Ms. Biles wears the wrong brand logo on her jacket to a filmed sporting event?

(NFL player wearing the wrong logo = $5,000 fine. And that's just for wearing it on camera.)

That wasn't a personal attack, and apologies if you thought it was. It was just calling out some of the leaps in thinking that don't address the OP's experiences, just the OP.

MickeyLuv'r

That wasn't a personal attack, and apologies if you thought it was. It was just calling out some of the leaps in thinking that don't address the OP's experiences, just the OP.

Endorsement = a public statement or action showing that you support somebody/something

OP said, "we all had a great time and had a highly enjoyable trip. Universal was great..."

He publicly expressed approval.

durangojim

Original Poster
Endorsement = a public statement or action showing that you support somebody/something

OP said, "we all had a great time and had a highly enjoyable trip. Universal was great..."

I "endorsed" the measures Disney and Universal are taking at the parks. I did not "endorse" the idea that it is safe for everyone to go there. If you think that anytime someone publicly expresses approval about something it equates to them suggesting someone else should do it then you must have some very interesting interactions in society.

Chef Mickey

Again, don’t take medical advice from a random stranger who says they are a doctor whether they are or aren’t. If you do then feel free to ask me how to invest your money as I am a financial expert. Trust me...what can go wrong!!
I mean, a doctor posting their own views doesn’t mean he’s “advising” people to go.

Even if he did, it’s called independent thinking and personal responsibility.

I welcome anyone who wants to share their thoughts. It’s interesting he’s a doctor, but even if he’s God, I’d still make my own decision and be responsible for it.

cmb5002

Taking one sentence out of a multi-paragraph post is disingenuous at best.

Look I'll do it too:

Over the two weeks that we were there the attendance steadily increased to where we are glad we’re driving home today and I’m not certain I’d be comfortable with more people in the parks.

Using your logic, this would imply that nobody should go to Disney because it's getting too busy to be safe. But that isn't what @durangojim said either. He didn't express any advice; he posted observations and personal (not professional) opinion based on his point of view from the medical field.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

I welcome anyone who wants to share their thoughts. It’s interesting he’s a doctor, but even if he’s God, I’d still make my own decision and be responsible for it.

I agree with this part of your post, which is why I mostly ignored this thread when I originally saw it. This is a forum. Everyone is free to post their park experiences, good or bad. That's why we have a forum.

What caught my attention was the OP's post at the top of page 5 when I reopened the thread. The little bit of dissent on page 4 of this thread is very mild; the kind of ordinary discussion I'd expect in any forum thread.

Archie123

I mean, a doctor posting their own views doesn’t mean he’s “advising” people to go.

Never said he gave advice however a doctor giving medical advice to a complete stranger on a Disney website is not independent thinking. It's completely inappropriate and possibly dangerous depending on the advice given.

Chi84

Premium Member

It would not be reasonable for a person to rely upon a trip report by an anonymous source on the internet as medical advice.

MickeyLuv'r

Yes, I think that's the main concern several have raised. It would not be reasonable for a person to rely on a trip report posted in a Disney forum as medical advice.

Yet multiple posts expressly said just that: they trust OP's opinion, because he said he was a doctor. (post #24,#39, and #51, for example), which OP liked.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, I think that's the main concern several have raised. It would not be reasonable for a person to rely on a trip report posted in a Disney forum as medical advice.

Yet multiple posts expressly said just that: they trust OP's opinion, because he said he was a doctor. (post #24,#39, and #51, for example), which OP liked.
Haviing and sharing an informed opinion is nowhere near giving medical advice.

The Mom

Premium Member
IMO, the OP mentioned the fact that he is a physician so that he wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of a "google" medics questioning his every action. The old, "Don't you know that doctors say you should do/not do xyz?"

Yes he already knows, so no need to bring it up. The OP may not be an expert in infectious diseases , but has a bit more medical understanding of a medical situation than a lawyer, accountant, teacher, etc.

He made an informed decision using more information than the average person. He is not advocating, from what I've read, that anyone else do the same. I would not be comfortable going to WDW right now - I wouldn't care who told me they felt safe doing so. But that is my decision based on my personal situation/interpretation of medical data.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think that's exactly where opinions differ in this thread. What = medical advice?

Yet, I also think we are mostly saying the same thing. For the record, I merely said his opinion might be misconstrued as giving medical advice.

I keep thinking of that old commercial for sugarless gum, "four out of five dentists surveyed...." Why did the gum company use that as their slogan for so many years? Because it sold gum.

The above is classic ethos technique! Straight out of the definition of the technique, "When an esteemed public figure endorses a product, it validates it to the end consumer. An ethos advertisement plays off the consumer’s respect for a given spokesperson. "

To put it even more succinctly, "Ethos persists as the quickest way to cut through clutter and establish trust with your audience."
a) this isn't advertising
b) saying you enjoy something doesn't mean you're endorsing it, even if you're a doctor
c) the next word in the phrase you quoted was "recommend." OP isn't recommending anything -- he's providing his observations
d) for a self-professed "MickeyLuv'r," you seem pretty down on a poster who reported having a good time at WDW despite being under pandemic precautions

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom