A new year – an opportunity for the thugs dragging this site down to mend their ways

barnum42

Original Poster
Hello all.

It’s been quite a while since I was on here. I stopped visiting because of the monotonous regularity of a core of members who use the site to belittle anyone and everyone they can bully, spitting upon others from their self-proclaimed pedestals, whining, griping, arguing and throwing their toys around when they don’t get their own way, mocking those who don’t share their opinion and even ganging up in cliques against dissenters to their causes.

The joy was being sapped out of the site (and my love of the Disney Parks). It hurt to see Steve’s hard work putting together a great fun site going down the pan, ruined by these ego driven, holier than thou thugs. If you have to play the big important person by picking fights behind the anonymity of a Disney web board, then you seriously need to switch the modem off and take time out to re-evaluate your life.

It’s a New Year. Please make a resolution to stop acting so childish, for surely that is the only way describe your actions – spoiling it for everyone by having tantrums. Many of you are long out of school and need to realise you are now communicating with the grown ups. Some of you are still in school – please stop taking your lead from those who should know better.

New members won’t want to join for fear of being picked upon, and established members are going to walk away because it’s just not worth the aggravation.

Without the new blood - the site will stagnate.

Without the variety that comes with a mixture of old and new members – the site will stagnate.

Once it gets into that state, it’s game over.

surfsupdon

HEY! An oldie and a goodie!! Glad you're back, and with that avater of yours. It always stuck out in my mind.

Happy New Year.

Uponastar

Welcome back, Joe!
We miss you . . .and Bramble.
Hope your words hit home and do some good.
Thank you for taking the time to post them.

barnum42

Original Poster
*Thread Drift*

For those asking about Bramble, a couple of shots of her in the rain at St Dogmaels

yk5174.jpg

yk517q.jpg

And sleeping it off afterwards

yk517o.jpg

figmentmom

:sohappy: for Joe - well-said, and I completely agree!!!

(Oh, and :sohappy: for Bramble, too - the world's best-photographed dog. :animwink: )

MerHearted

Mark Cuban recently blogged about something that I thought was kinda relevant to Magic and any forum for that matter. In his discussion of what's wrong with YouTube, he says...

"While Im up on my high horse, let me add some historical context. Social networks are not new. Go back 20 years to CompuServe and UseNet groups and then chat rooms. They all cycled through the same way. They were fun and exciting when you found people with like interests. People found the forum, group or room usually via referral. People involved learned, were educated, were entertained, whatever the forum offered. Then if the forum grew, as in any group, some participants became more popular than others, and others tried, but failed to become popular. Still, they tried to dominate conversations, and when they couldn't they tried different ways to game or sabotage the system. That pushed out the "purists" and original posters.

Then the spammers came. When the forum reaches the point where no one has a strong connection, the spammers and people trying to game the forum take over till the forum dies. Its what has become "The Ecology of Forums and Social Networks" . When a forum is open to everyone, eventually everyone shows up and the original attraction of the forum is lost. Someone has got to take responsibility for any open social network or the network will die.

Go to any forum that has survived a long time and you will find members or admins that police posts on there actively and ruthlessly. Myspace is a perfect example of a company that is figuring this out and trying hard to police what its participants do. Youtube, not so much..."

from www.blogmaverick.com

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom