Trip Report A New Hope, A New Day *COMPLETED*

That’s not a Star Wars reference.

Longtime readers of my trip reports know Star Wars isn’t my thing (although I immensely enjoy Rise of the Resistance.)

Fireworks are my thing. 💥 Like a moth to a flame, I am instinctively drawn to bursts of brilliant sparkles and colors in the sky. Just ask my family how quickly I’ve stopped whatever I’m doing to find the source of nighttime booms! I have serious fireworks FOMO.

Disney fireworks....especially Magic Kingdom fireworks....always flood me with nostalgia, happy memories and hope. After a long pandemic year, I know I am not alone in my yearning for hope of better days ahead.

Every step we take
Brings a new hope
A new day

The return of Disney fireworks, for me, is a sign that things are improving. Hooray!!

But there won’t be any pyro on my upcoming trip. And that’s ok. This vacation was booked with the assumption there would be no nighttime entertainment. (However when rumors began to suggest fireworks in July…..well let’s just say there might be another reservation in MDE for us.)

Who’s us?

877B7809-2BB7-4CEE-A5F3-9DB3FA569FE9.jpeg

Mother/daughter travel buddies, Tuvalu and Em. We last visited together in early April. We were there the day the mask mandate was dropped for stationary pictures.

Today the mask mandate for all those vaccinated has been suspended and we couldn’t be happier! We won’t have to be shrouded in a daft disguise again this summer! 😉

I am not planning to do a full live report but may post a daily update. I’ll fill in the details when our vacation is over.

T-minus 3 days.
June 19 - 26, 2021
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Will any other Magicians make an appearance? Stay tuned.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day One, con’t

The WL room refurbishment has been a LONG time in coming. During our club level stay in December 2017, we were informed by a concierge that rooms were starting to go offline in preparation for the floor-by-floor room refresh. He said that our upcoming stay (June 2018) might be impacted.

It wasn’t. And neither were any of our other stays before the parks closed in March 2020.

I suppose cost was a factor in the delay (and the pandemic didn’t help.) While I didn’t mind the “old” rooms, there were a few things I did not care for (the ledge over the sinks that was easy to bump your head on while face washing or brushing teeth; poor lighting that rendered the room dark). I was anxious to see what the refurbishment would bring.

Overall, I was pleased. The room is less rustic and is more modern and functional. As a practical person I appreciate function over style. But that doesn’t mean the room is without flaws.

I’ll need to use two posts for the photos due to the file attachment limit.

This is the entry hall looking back towards the door. Carpet has been removed from the room and what is known as “luxury vinyl” is the replacement. It is NOT hardwood (contrary to what some bloggers believe). The flooring “floats” above the concrete and sometimes “pops” when you walk on it. I have no issue with this in the entryway and bathroom but I do miss carpet in the bedroom.

9DBC901F-1ADC-41B3-B7F3-BDA50D6448F3.jpeg

This barn door with mirror closes off the sink area. We left it open since the toilet/shower has its own door.

The hanging closet is across from the bathroom. It is adequate in size.

0CCEEC00-D732-41D4-A7F4-D4B79C43480C.jpeg

We really liked the secondary closet with shelves for storage.

B7497B8E-CC5F-4678-BC68-6AC64E318475.jpeg

Note the beverage bar with the subtle Bambi details. Coffee maker uses k-cups. The shelf above is handy for storing refillable mugs.

63A5F94E-393F-4A8C-B171-0C4E26C84AC4.jpeg

Supplies are in the drawer. If you have more than one coffee drinker you might want to pack your own k-cups. Em uses two a day and while housekeeping does replenish them it is only every other day (since service is currently every other day.) Oh and one day the housekeeper only left decaf, so I had to track her down in the hall and request a couple regular k-cups.

982807CF-C0A7-45A6-8116-428D877C0AA9.jpeg

The fridge holds about a dozen water bottles….provided you lay them all down.

E8DBD2E0-1045-4778-8177-16EF37005904.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our room had two queen beds. There are also king rooms. WL formerly had an option of a queen bed with a bunk bed, but I no longer see that as a bookable option. I’m guessing bunk beds didn’t make the cut.

317EBB85-C929-4B66-820B-F8076BA030B6.jpeg

The carved woodland creatures headboard didn’t make the cut either. I miss that. The “woodsy” wall behind the beds tries to retain some theming, which I appreciate.

In addition to the center bedside table, next to each bed is a small shelf, great for holding glasses or phone.

D5C61FE7-4F98-4453-9C2B-21B6476DAEBB.jpeg

The large framed geode is actually a light. It is turned on in the picture below.

91B72E39-1323-4822-94D5-6C1F0BC3DE0F.jpeg

There must have been lots of complaints about the former “dark” rooms, as there are numerous lights now ~ on the wall, above the beds, reading lights in the headboards and the obnoxious ceiling fixture in place of a fan.

6C6DD35E-5434-4E37-8127-0FC3E681E898.jpeg

I’m aware that ceiling fans are either love ‘em or hate ‘em. We are fan fans. I have been sleeping under a ceiling fan in various homes since 1979. Fans help keep a room cool, which is especially important in southern climates.

Like central Florida. In the summer.

The new room thermostat shuts off when it doesn’t detect motion in the room. I set it at 70 degrees before bed and would awaken hot in the middle of the night and discover the room temperature was now 74 degrees. :mad: The thermostat is located next to the entry door, not in the main area where people are moving…even as they sleep.

We really missed the ceiling fan.

The dresser has six drawers which are roomy. The upholstered chairs and duo tables may look nice, but the chairs are uncomfortable (and too large for the space) and the table is too tiny to use as a workspace or for eating.

5FCF0D31-1084-4FF9-A22C-15E9B49EA3A8.jpeg

I wanted to love the mattresses but they were too hard.

The sink area is now nice and bright, with the shelf above the sinks less wide and no longer a hazard.

2A971E94-DE03-4E66-A198-39616E9B49AC.jpeg

Brand new faucet. Big ‘ol scratch.

51D0FFBB-57CA-43E8-B447-831BDBD8CD34.jpeg

1DA924DB-28D9-4844-AD62-9261E4C8E77C.jpeg

The tub/shower-door combo that Disney has taken to using in new rooms is not the people-pleaser they expect it to be.

DF1903F7-30AD-4558-92A9-FA0C4D42E20D.jpeg

For those who enjoy a stall shower, stepping up into a tub negates that.

For parents who need to bathe young children, the door (and its runner) is uncomfortably awkward to navigate while bending over.

For those who prefer privacy while showering, it’s HELLO. (“No baby, you can’t use the potty while mommy’s in the shower.”)

Either equip the bathroom with a stall shower (with frosted glass) or go back to a tub shower with a shower curtain.

One final item before concluding. There is also a geode light in the sink area.

140D0890-2FA7-4AD2-9B7D-246D17C03FF5.jpeg

It’s important to note that there is no nightlight in the bathroom.

The geode panel can be used as a nightlight…..providing you know HOW to use it.

Apparently I did not. Em had gone to sleep and I turned on the geode. In the middle of the night I heard her stomp out of bed, switch off the light and proclaim, “You could land a plane in here!”

I figured out the “dim” feature in the morning. In my defense, it takes practice.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I’m aware that ceiling fans are either love ‘em or hate ‘em. We are fan fans. I have been sleeping under a ceiling fan in various homes since 1979. Fans help keep a room cool, which is especially important in southern climates.
giphy.gif

The tub/shower-door combo that Disney has taken to using in new rooms is not the people-pleaser they expect it to be.
As evidence of my mother needing assistance in 2019 at POP because the tub was too high for her to get in and out. I didn't know about it until the drive home or else I would have switched rooms because I had the walk in shower.

Billy6

Our room had two queen beds. There are also king rooms. WL formerly had an option of a queen bed with a bunk bed, but I no longer see that as a bookable option. I’m guessing bunk beds didn’t make the cut.

View attachment 568101
The carved woodland creatures headboard didn’t make the cut either. I miss that. The “woodsy” wall behind the beds tries to retain some theming, which I appreciate.

In addition to the center bedside table, next to each bed is a small shelf, great for holding glasses or phone.

View attachment 568105

The large framed geode is actually a light. It is turned on in the picture below.

View attachment 568106

There must have been lots of complaints about the former “dark” rooms, as there are numerous lights now ~ on the wall, above the beds, reading lights in the headboards and the obnoxious ceiling fixture in place of a fan.

View attachment 568122

The new room thermostat shuts off when it doesn’t detect motion in the room. I set it at 70 degrees before bed and would awaken hot in the middle of the night and discover the room temperature was now 74 degrees. :mad: The thermostat is located next to the entry door, not in the main area where people are moving…even as they sleep.

The dresser has six drawers which are roomy. The upholstered chairs and duo tables may look nice, but the chairs are uncomfortable (and too large for the space) and the table is too tiny to use as a workspace or for eating.

View attachment 568102

The sink area is now nice and bright, with the shelf above the sinks less wide and no longer a hazard.

View attachment 568103

View attachment 568109

View attachment 568139

View attachment 568104

For parents who need to bathe young children, the door (and its runner) is uncomfortably awkward to navigate while bending over.

For those who prefer privacy while showering, it’s HELLO. (“No baby, you can’t use the potty while mommy’s in the shower.”)

Either equip the bathroom with a stall shower (with frosted glass) or go back to a tub shower with a shower curtain.

View attachment 568107

Apparently I did not. Em had gone to sleep and I turned on the geode. In the middle of the night I heard her stomp out of bed, switch off the light and proclaim, “You could land a plane in here!”

I figured out the “dim” feature in the morning. In my defense, it takes practice.
Has a "Copper Creek-y" look...subtle but in line with décor next door...

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

I LOVE this. Our room at the Boardwalk had an end table on one side and nothing on the other. I had to use my suitcase as a nightstand.

I also love having a ceiling fan. I'm afraid that they will be disappearing from all rooms at Disney eventually.

93boomer

Premium Member

View attachment 568101

View attachment 568105

View attachment 568106

View attachment 568122

View attachment 568102

View attachment 568103

View attachment 568109

View attachment 568139

View attachment 568104

View attachment 568107

I am a ceiling fan girl too. I have to have air moving or I get overheated.
I had to laugh out loud about Em’s plane comment.🤣 My DD would have done the same thing!

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Has a "Copper Creek-y" look...subtle but in line with décor next door...
Agree!
I LOVE this. Our room at the Boardwalk had an end table on one side and nothing on the other. I had to use my suitcase as a nightstand.

I also love having a ceiling fan. I'm afraid that they will be disappearing from all rooms at Disney eventually.
The bed shelves are a very practical addition. I commend you on your creative nightstand!
I’ve noticed ceiling fans have been removed even from rooms that haven’t had a recent refurb (looking at you, GF!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
As I was unpacking Em said, “Hey Mom, how does this sound? A Roaring S’more: Chocolate Mousse, Graham Cracker Cake, Caramel Marshmallow.”

“Sounds intriguing,” I replied, not realizing Em was hankering for a snack.

“Should I mobile order it?” she asked.

“Sure” I answered, still distracted by the task of unpacking.

A few minutes later we took the elevator down to the first floor.

81D75B63-8F9A-45C2-AA6E-CDA89341CF24.jpeg

The QS location continues to follow COVID protocol ~ one way in and one way out. But hey, at least the interior dining room was open (it wasn’t last July.)

2F03E3B7-8089-4CA5-8FA2-94EDD850E419.jpeg

B0783450-FE2F-4A68-A1EE-F95B462A8696.jpeg

Since pastries and desserts have not yet made they way back into display cases, you are at the mercy of a brief description and tiny picture on the mobile order app. In other words, buyer beware.

This dessert *sorta* resembled the picture on the app. It was very sparkly in person. I believe the “chunk” supporting the white chocolate Mickey head was the Caramel Marshmallow (which was not pictured in the app.) Em removed both before plunging her fork into the creation.

AD829438-5AE4-45FD-9CE6-E282383C7503.jpeg

It was at this moment we discovered just how dumb this dessert was. The white marshmallow (center) was impenetrable and came up in one piece, stuck on her fork.

“It’s Flubber!” Em cried. She wasn’t kidding. It had the consistency of a flexible rubber hose.

E88A2387-9259-4C58-B8A1-02B1AE0792A3.jpeg

We burst into laughter. Of course I had to test it for myself. Now doesn’t this look appetizing?

04F9CC8D-C8DC-4AB2-97EB-6CF73A9CC9A8.jpeg

But wait, there’s more!

We decided to forgo the marshmallow and just eat the chocolate mousse. Em took a taste and declared, “There’s something crunchy in this!”

Because chocolate mousse is known for its crunch. :hilarious:

Once again I had to try it for myself. Hidden in the mousse was a random crunch-bar candy piece. It’s on top of the flubber pictured below.

9E0D35A9-7FB8-4019-9902-83F6159EBB8C.jpeg

“I should have known since it’s covered in glitter it must be something bad,” said teacher Em, as we burst into another round of laughter.

After our couple of bites, we certainly did not want s’more.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Six dollars and seventeen cents poorer, we made our way to the boat dock.

B6394563-14AD-405D-AA83-05B59B52624C.jpeg

The resort launches between WL, Contemporary and Ft. Wilderness remain out of service.

81F24415-66E8-404A-840F-86340E8BE5B0.jpeg

A cloudy sky. This would be the norm for most of the week.

47A32782-42D8-4756-AA20-EAB94D025234.jpeg

Here comes our boat!

1B98EE84-E436-4D0C-9C24-BA38363D47F9.jpeg

A03E31BA-DBB2-4BF2-B448-82DE8FEF0E45.jpeg

We hadn’t come into contact with any cast members upon arriving at the Lodge nor when Em had picked up our mobile order. Thus the first CM we encountered was coming off the boat.

It was after our April visit that Disney officially launched their Diversity & Inclusion Program. Let me start by saying I agree with what Disney is doing. But I must confess that after visiting Disney Parks for almost 50 years, I was taken aback by the CM who let us on the boat.

He had a septum piercing. Now I don’t care for things coming out of my nose and can’t understand how this can be comfortable, but live and let live. What made it jarring was the fact he was a cast member and therefore unexpected.
DF07615F-E94F-4E22-8EC1-668151EAA211.jpeg
This is not him, but his piercing was similar.

After my initial shock wore off, I remembered that Disney dress code restrictions had changed. Over the week I grew more comfortable seeing CMs with tattoos, multiple piercings and dark nail polish. Next visit I won’t think anything of it. This grandma desires to keep current with the times!

Speaking of current times, how great it was to be mask-free at Disney!

6A96B538-9B9E-49DD-927B-A724F0F81802.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom