Trip Report **COMPLETED** A (Love) Bug's Life

Hi everyone!
Happy Mother's Day!!!
We just got back from Disney yesterday and it is cold and raining here so seems like a good time to start our TR!

Who?
My Mom (Mary), my Dad (Jeff) and myself (Megan)
This photo is from our trip last year
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_411283267906.jpg

Where?
Grand Floridian - aside from a very brief stay at the Poly during a race weekend my Dad has never stayed at a Deluxe. So, with a nice AP discount we let him pick any place he wanted and he decided on the Grand :)

When?
May 3 - 11, 2019

Why?
No big reason - we usually go around this time every year to help with the depression of the never ending winter here at home (and its still cold BTW...)

The title?
We have seen love bugs before but we have NEVER seen this many. I know they don't bite or anything but they were everywhere and at times the amount of them was just disgusting. We could not even sit on our balcony and if we were by the pool the only place they did not bother us was in the water. Ew :grumpy::hungover: This is the very reason I do not live in Florida...bugs.

Day 1 May 3, 2019
Our flight was pretty early so I got up at like 2:20 am 😴
My parents picked me up just before 3 and we were on our way! I ALWAYS email Southwest to ask what time their counters open and this time I forgot. So, we got there at 3:20 and it was not open...whoops 🤪
zp7Bq5CnSoS2DHy3yZzfAA.jpg

Everyone was lined up in the full service line but we waited by the self tag kiosks and we ended up being the first ones done with our luggage. Since it was so early the TSA pre-check line was not open yet so we had to go through regular security which is only annoying when you have have a computer and an iPad to drag out :hilarious:
DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

Be prepared for my Dad not cooperating for photos :p
DSC_0414.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

GuLhiYrjSMmcp8ZZKuwgkA.jpg

Around 4 am the food places open so we grabbed a bagel
fullsizeoutput_2fd4.jpeg

I spy our plane
DSC_0422.JPG

The time flew by at the airport and very quickly we were boarding the plane! Our flight was on time for once!
Gang is all here..
DSC_0423.JPG

Next up: more travel

Doc Disney

Original Poster
The trek looked a wonderful experience. The animals were being so playful and you were so close to them.

They were super playful! It was nice to be able to stop to watch them - which you obviously can not do on the regular safari

I’ll be working the Wine and Dine races!! I’ll be on the lookout!!

We will be running the 10K!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 May 6, 2019
We got up around 7:30 and headed down to the lounge for some breakfast
DSC_0975.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

They had waffles!
IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3093.JPG

After breakfast we headed off to Epcot. I feel like the general thoughts in the second Epcot security line are always a. why is this line so long and b. why can't they figure out a way to skip second security :joyfull:
We rope dropped Spaceship Earth
DSC_0890.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

DSC_0892.JPG

Our first FP was for Soarin' so we headed over there next
DSC_0900.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3262.jpeg

DSC_0905.JPG

Next up: more Epcot

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
We headed over to Flower and Garden after this to check out some booths
IMG_3148.JPG

We started with Violet Lemonade of course
IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

Just as good as I remembered :joyfull:
Then we headed to the Honey Bee-Stro.
We got all 3 food offerings:
Roasted Cauliflower with Buckwheat Honey Carrot Purée, Wild Rice Pilaf, Asparagus, Honey-blistered Grapes, Sunflower Brittle and Coriander Flowers
IMG_3134.JPG

Honey Tandoori Chicken Flatbread with White Cheddar Cheese, Charred Vegetables, Clover Honey Sour Cream and Micro Citrus Greens
IMG_3133.JPG

And Local Wildflower Honey-mascarpone Cheesecake with Orange Blossom Honey Ice Cream garnished with Fennel Pollen Meringue Kisses and Petite Lavender Shoots
IMG_3132.JPG

My Dad had the cauliflower - he said it was good. I actually did not try any for some reason. The flatbread was delicious! The cheesecake was OK...I heard people on podcasts so dedicated to that cheesecake but I did not think it was the best cheesecake I have ever had like the podcast people said. My Mom would agree. After this (while during this) my Dad left Epcot because the heat was getting to him. He did not even really eat his cauliflower. It was exceptionally hot at this point so I don't blame him but I really wanted to try a few more things so my Mom and I carried on.
We tried Jardin de Fiestas next
We got the Beef Torta: Braised Beef served on a Crispy Sourdough Roll with Queso Oaxaca, Avocado, Pickled Onions and Jalapeños in a Spicy Habanero Sauce
IMG_3136.JPG

The beef was good but overall it was not my favorite festival food to be honest.
Next up was Primavera kitchen
We got 3 things again:
Frozen Italian Margarita with Limoncello and Tequila
fullsizeoutput_326e.jpeg

Pizza Toscana: Rustic Italian Flatbread with Sweet Sausage, Caramelized Onion, Mozzarella, Asiago and Parmesan Cheeses
IMG_3140.JPG

And Pomodori Verdi e Mozzarella: Fried Green Tomatoes, Mozzarella Cheese, Balsamic Reduction
IMG_3141.JPG

Everything was fantastic ! Especially those fried green tomatoes --- man I wish I had some right now.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
IMG_3145.JPG

424265731.jpeg

It was truly exceptionally hot at this point so we headed out of Epcot
We worked on our bee scavenger map along the way out
IMG_3146.JPG

DSC_0927.JPG

Our monorail ride home was VERY slow
DSC_0929.JPG

This pale yellow monorail had to completely shut off at every stop and restart. So it did it at TTC, Poly then GF where we got off. It was going out go service at the Magic Kingdom.
Back at the GF my Mom and I wandered around the pool to find my Dad and I heard someone calling my name.
It was @Tuvalu :)
file-109.jpg

We had a nice chat then my Mom and I changed into suits to go for a swim.
file-110.jpg

file-111.jpg

file-112.jpg

file-113.jpg

I did at some point bring my Dad over to meet @Tuvalu and Woody as well :)

Next up: some random occurrences

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
After our pool time we spent some time relaxing inside to get a break from the sun
I walked around with the slippers on for a bit :hilarious:
file-114.jpg

We had a hard time deciding what to do this evening so we spent some time snacking in the lounge and seeing what was available for dinner. I had a champagne while we decided.
IMG_3161.JPG

Eventually we decided on Grand Floridian Cafe for dinner so we did not have far to go :happy:
We were seated by the windows which was nice
IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

DSC_0933.JPG

DSC_0935.JPG

A light for you...
DSC_0937.JPG

I could not turn down a Disney Family Wine so I got a Riesling
IMG_3166.JPG

My Dad got a beer
IMG_3167.JPG

Next up: more GFC

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
My Mom felt left out so I took a picture of her pop :hilarious::hilarious:
IMG_3168.JPG

We got some bread to start
IMG_3169.JPG

We all started off with the French Onion Soup (aka Caramelized Onion Soup Gratinée)...
IMG_3172.JPG

Yum!! I still like Be Our Guest's soup a bit better but it was good!
I ordered the Cafe Sandwich (Open-faced Hot Sandwich with Ham, Roasted Turkey Breast, Bacon, Tomato, Boursin Cheese Sauce, and Onion Rings) - which I ordered without the ham :hilarious:
IMG_3173.JPG

My Mom got the Seasonal Heirloom Apple Salad (Organic Baby Lettuces, Heirloom Apples, Sharp Cheddar, Pecan Brittle, and Crispy Prosciutto with a Honey-Apple Vinaigrette)
IMG_3175.JPG

And my Dad got the House-breaded Fried Mozzarella
IMG_3176.JPG

We all felt very meh about the second half of our meals. My Mom's salad was pretty tasteless, My sandwich was cold (supposed to be a hot one) and the turkey was pretty fatty. My Dads mozzarella was cold-ish too. Thankfully we were pretty full from the soup anyway but we did rank this meal at the bottom for this trip.
There was a PP CM outside the Main Lobby so we got our picture after dinner
IMG_3197.JPG

Then we headed over to the boat dock so we could pop into the MK
DSC_0941.JPG

DSC_0942.JPG

DSC_0945.JPG

Next up: more randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
DSC_0948.JPG

Usually the boat captains are very specific about where you sit on the boat and the number of people on the boat but this one just let my Mom and I squeeze on the front (with my Dad at the end of another row).
IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

When the captain got off the boat my Mom and I pretended to drive it :joyfull:
IMG_3182.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

We met a very nice family along the way to the MK and soon enough we were there!
fullsizeoutput_3276.jpeg

We stopped for a PP picture right away
IMG_3195.JPG

IMG_3196.JPG

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
My Dad had actually never seen HEA before so we grabbed some desserts from the lounge and headed out to watch it!
I love watching HEA from the Grand - its not super crowded and the music is much easier to hear than at the Poly
DSC_0978.JPG

DSC_0980.JPG

DSC_0983.JPG

DSC_0988.JPG

My Dad really enjoyed the show!
What is especially nice is only having to walk a few steps back to our home :)

Next up: Day 5

Rista1313

Day 4 continued
My Dad had actually never seen HEA before so we grabbed some desserts from the lounge and headed out to watch it!
I love watching HEA from the Grand - its not super crowded and the music is much easier to hear than at the Poly
View attachment 376912
View attachment 376913
View attachment 376914
View attachment 376915

My Dad really enjoyed the show!
What is especially nice is only having to walk a few steps back to our home :)

Next up: Day 5

But the projections! That's my favorite part.

Rista1313

I'm way more into fireworks than projections so I don't mind :) You could see some of the projections from the GF too but my Dad would never survive the MK fireworks crowds to see the projections anyway
I'm way more into fireworks than projections so I don't mind :) You could see some of the projections from the GF too but my Dad would never survive the MK fireworks crowds to see the projections anyway
yeah, Me and DH either... which is why we did the Dessert party last time... SO worth it in my opinion if you want to see the projections and fireworks in a non clausterphobic way!

DisneyGigi

Day 4 continued
We headed over to Flower and Garden after this to check out some booths
View attachment 376729
We started with Violet Lemonade of course
View attachment 376712
View attachment 376713
Just as good as I remembered :joyfull:
Then we headed to the Honey Bee-Stro.
We got all 3 food offerings:
Roasted Cauliflower with Buckwheat Honey Carrot Purée, Wild Rice Pilaf, Asparagus, Honey-blistered Grapes, Sunflower Brittle and Coriander Flowers
View attachment 376711
Honey Tandoori Chicken Flatbread with White Cheddar Cheese, Charred Vegetables, Clover Honey Sour Cream and Micro Citrus Greens
View attachment 376710
And Local Wildflower Honey-mascarpone Cheesecake with Orange Blossom Honey Ice Cream garnished with Fennel Pollen Meringue Kisses and Petite Lavender Shoots
View attachment 376709
My Dad had the cauliflower - he said it was good. I actually did not try any for some reason. The flatbread was delicious! The cheesecake was OK...I heard people on podcasts so dedicated to that cheesecake but I did not think it was the best cheesecake I have ever had like the podcast people said. My Mom would agree. After this (while during this) my Dad left Epcot because the heat was getting to him. He did not even really eat his cauliflower. It was exceptionally hot at this point so I don't blame him but I really wanted to try a few more things so my Mom and I carried on.
We tried Jardin de Fiestas next
We got the Beef Torta: Braised Beef served on a Crispy Sourdough Roll with Queso Oaxaca, Avocado, Pickled Onions and Jalapeños in a Spicy Habanero Sauce
View attachment 376726
The beef was good but overall it was not my favorite festival food to be honest.
Next up was Primavera kitchen
We got 3 things again:
Frozen Italian Margarita with Limoncello and Tequila
View attachment 376730
Pizza Toscana: Rustic Italian Flatbread with Sweet Sausage, Caramelized Onion, Mozzarella, Asiago and Parmesan Cheeses
View attachment 376731
And Pomodori Verdi e Mozzarella: Fried Green Tomatoes, Mozzarella Cheese, Balsamic Reduction
View attachment 376732
Everything was fantastic ! Especially those fried green tomatoes --- man I wish I had some right now.

I got the cheesecake too. It was good but not the best thing we tried. That I give to the Fried Green Tomatoes! I agree with you they were outstanding and I know my fried green tomatoes... lol

Doc Disney

Original Poster
yeah, Me and DH either... which is why we did the Dessert party last time... SO worth it in my opinion if you want to see the projections and fireworks in a non clausterphobic way!

:hilarious: we tried that once too with my Dad and he got so stressed out about leaving when the park closed after the dessert party that he left

"Pop"...looks like soda to me.... ;)

:joyfull: pop is pop

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I got the cheesecake too. It was good but not the best thing we tried. That I give to the Fried Green Tomatoes! I agree with you they were outstanding and I know my fried green tomatoes... lol

Yea...it was weird everyone is so obsessed with that cheesecake !

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 May 7, 2019
We got up around 7:30 am, ate some breakfast in the lounge and headed to the MK via the monorail.
The first thing we did in the MK was take a ride down Main Street in one of the Main Street vehicles :) It just happened to be ready to leave with no one on it!
DSC_0006.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

Then we headed back towards the Emporium to look around :)
This shirt made me laugh. I know its Jessica Rabbit but it seems a bit odd :)
IMG_3216.JPG

Outside of the Emporium we ran into a Main Street Citizen :)
IMG_3222.JPG

file-115.jpg

The park finally opened at this point so we rope dropped Winnie the Pooh :)
DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Next up: more MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom