A Lot Of Refurbishments Going On

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
It seems that in addition to all the new stuff Disney is building at Walt Disney World there seems to be a lot more refurbishments going on and being scheduled then in the past few years. As many of you know I think that Disney has neglected Walt Disney World and not put the money needed into the parks. Are we seeing a turning point now with all the new construction and refurbishments underway? I sure hope so. Now I hope something is in the plans for Epcot.

KCheatle

Hmmm...interesting question. Not sure anyone knows the answer, but I can bet we're all optimistic that it means some love is coming to WDW. My question at this point is, with the changes that they have made, am I still going to love this place? IMHO, Disney has become too fixated on the merchandising. I personally don't like how lands/sections of the park went from being themed to a place or concept (e.g., Africa, tomorrowland, etc.) to themed to specific movie franchises (Carsland, Star Wars land, A Bug's Land, Toy Story Land). I love the idea of incorporating movies/characters in with the existing theme (e.g, Tomorrowland has Buzz Lightyear's ride, DCA's Paradise Pier has Toy Story Boardwalk games.) But, I don't like how WDW has decided to make entire lands based on movies. It's just a little too much in your face with merchandising I think. But, that's just my opinion.

Chef Mickey

By my count there are about 14 underway or planned for this year. Some big and some small. Check this WDW Magic web page out for the full listing: http://www.wdwmagic.com/refurbishments.htm
Oh, you're counting things like Planet Hollywood, Pizza Planet, and Fish Cafe?

I am counting rides that are being refurbished with new ideas. I don't really count the usual BTMR refurb. I guess it's nice Dinosaur will get something, but half of it's broken anyway.

disneyflush

It seems that in addition to all the new stuff Disney is building at Walt Disney World there seems to be a lot more refurbishments going on and being scheduled then in the past few years. As many of you know I think that Disney has neglected Walt Disney World and not put the money needed into the parks. Are we seeing a turning point now with all the new construction and refurbishments underway? I sure hope so. Now I hope something is in the plans for Epcot.

I would chalk this up to the reduction in maintenance head count and hours over the last few years causing rides to more frequently fall into a state of disrepair. I think a turning point would come in the form of a ticket price decrease at DHS during all of the construction the next few years. An act of good will would go a long way when all that has came out lately are attack volleys in the form of price hikes.

I absolutely agree with you regarding Epcot! I hope there are improvements coming soon!

Wdw62114

Yeah i was disappointed that swiss family treehouse is now on refurb list when ill be down there. In all the years going, I never walked through it because after days of walking miles and miles, i saw all the stairs and i was like "nope, not happening". This trip i was actually gonna go through it. Maybe for the refurb, they will install escalators for us lazy people :p

DisneyFans4Life

My best guess is that it's a mixture of regular maintenance as well as maintenance in preparation for the 50th celebration. With all the new lands opening over the next few years, they're going to want the parks to be in top notch state to market the parks.

disney4life2008

My best guess is that it's a mixture of regular maintenance as well as maintenance in preparation for the 50th celebration. With all the new lands opening over the next few years, they're going to want the parks to be in top notch state to market the parks.

50th celebration, now that is a joke. At most we will get a tragic slogan and a boring anniversay tv special. I wouldnt hold my breathe on anything mindblowing outside of what we already know.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I'm actually a DVC owner as well and am here right now and honestly I was thinking it seemed like there WASN'T a lot of refurbs going on right now. At least not in the parks and especially the Magic Kingdom. I did notice some going on over here at Bay Lake though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you have any data/anecdotal evidence about the length of typical refurbs over time? Are they as long as they always were or have those times ballooned over the years?
Nothing stands out as unusual to me.

Attractions have been down for months before.

And major changes have also happened in a matter of days (1986 for example)

Oh, you're counting things like Planet Hollywood, Pizza Planet, and Fish Cafe?

I am counting rides that are being refurbished with new ideas. I don't really count the usual BTMR refurb. I guess it's nice Dinosaur will get something, but half of it's broken anyway.
Is it 100% for sure that BTMRR will be re-furbed this year? I have seen it speculated on some sites, but not listed on others, including this one I believe. If so, do we know hard dates yet? That one would be a bummer, as it is one of my favorite rides in the MK.

Lirael

I understand the need for them, but I wish they'd announce them sooner. It's annoying to plan a vacation only to find out less than 180 days (in other words, after even ADRs are planned) that beloved attractions will no longer be working on that time period.

Punzle

Is it 100% for sure that BTMRR will be re-furbed this year? I have seen it speculated on some sites, but not listed on others, including this one I believe. If so, do we know hard dates yet? That one would be a bummer, as it is one of my favorite rides in the MK.
Straight from Disney's website: Race through a haunted gold-mining town aboard a rollicking runaway mine train. From August 8 to November 18, 2016, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom