A long write-up about my visit to Orlando...

DisneySaint

Original Poster
As many of you know, I was accepted in Operations for the Fall 2006 college program. For my entire life, particularly the past few years, I've had nothing but tunnel vision about working for Disney. There are no other options. I cannot even begin to fathom what else I'd do, particularly here in activity-lacking Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Notably different from most other CPs is that I am married [to someone NOT participating in the CP]. My wife has been just as, if not more, excited about a move to Orlando as I was.

This weekend we had planned a trip to Orlando to find our own personal apartment for our relocation. In the meantime while we waited to go on the trip, my wife had been applying for dozens of jobs and managed to get an interview out of it. We arrived in Orlando Thursday night and immediately went to her interview scheduled for 10 AM Friday. She got the job or, rather, was offered it. At that point we were on a high and began our Orlando apartment hunt. As time progressed and everything that was beautiful on the outsite turned out to be a rat hole, our morale fell swiftly. We decided late Friday to take a break and refresh ourselves. We drove to the Contemporary and rode the monorail to Epcot and the MK Resort areas so that I could really contemplate if this is where I wanted to be.
Things are so easy to interpret from the comfort of your own home in your own state. You can say "I love Disney so much, I want to work there!" but you forget you'll lose the things that you take for granted back at home. Family, local knowledge, geographical knowledge, the higher cost of living in Orlando, the fact you sacrifice a lot to make this journey, and so on. On that same token, I realize 10,000 people move to Orlando every month and thousands of kids do the CP every semester. For some of you (and other people), the decision is easy. It's NOT a matter of "who likes Disney more," but instead a matter of who can cope with such a drastic life change more than the next guy. I am in awe now of these brave international students that come over and not only experience a new city, but an entirely new culture. My refresher trip to Disney reminded me of why I was here. It goes beyond the "vacation" feel you get for me - it's that unspoken magic you feel.
By Saturday we hadn't found a place so we spent the day looking, meanwhile trying to decide if going home and staying there was a better idea. It's so easy to just say "You know what, this isn't for us" and go home; and much harder to say "I'm going to pick up my ENTIRE life and move it to a place I know nothing about [outside of the Disney area]." For the majority of the CPs, this is a 5 month adventure and then you go home. But for a husband and wife team, you're signing a 7-12 month lease and spending loads of money that you don't have to relocate. This apartment hunting trip alone cost well over $500 and that's flying redeyes and sleeping in a trashy Motel 6. The emotional pain and turmoil we mutually experienced in Orlando this weekend was completely unanticipated. We never thought it'd be this emotionally wracking.
By Sunday we had practically given up looking for a place, and returned to the one place we had liked. The problem was the apartment doesn't open until the 26th and my CP starts only 2 days later on the 28th. On top of that, the job my wife got is in Altamonte Springs, a good 30 mins from the apartments. Despite the drawbacks, we applied. After that we went to Downtown Disney and relaxed, having a meal in the Rainforest Cafe to "celebrate" our somewhat "decision" (although if we get declined, that makes the decision for us). Again, just being "around" Disney was relieving for me. It "feels like home" and I'm just as comfortable being there as being here in Baton Rouge. It's when we're driving up I-4 or breaking out the giant map that I feel strange. Nonetheless, I realize that local knowledge will come with time and that "you'll get used to it" but it's UNTIL THEN that's a pain.
It didn't help that nearly every CM I saw looked bored to tears, uncaring, or told me some negative thing about their job when I asked. I hate that because I'd like to think I'm the CM who is nice to everyone and tries to remember to keep the experience, but I can't help but wonder if everyone eventually deteriorates to this state of "drone-ism" or "robot-like." I'd really hope not. I definently think it depends on where you are and what you're doing. For example, if I get put in a parking lot waving a light all day, I think I'd drone out. But if I was in the Haunted Mansion where I could maintain character all day or if I was somewhere I was passionate about, I would never sink to "robot-ism." Heck, I managed to avoid falling into that when I was in freakin' retail!
Now I'm home from Orlando and miss it. Just driving around here in Baton Rouge makes me want to be back there. I was just getting used to driving around and, seriously, how can having 7 theme parks, 2 water parks, 2 entertainment areas, and tons of restaurants/dinner shows in your back yard ever get old? So now I wait on the response from the one apartment we applied to. While I know the adjustment to a new city will be really hard, the worst thing that could happen is that we could come home in 7 months when the lease is up if we really thought it was that bad. I've heard a zillion negative things about Orlando this weekend (I made it a point to ask people how they liked it) but I guess I'll have to worry about that when I move.
So, what's this thread for? It's a vent and it's a "here's hoping" that other people felt apprehensive about leaving home and how long they took to adjust. I'm interested to see how other people coped with their move and whatnot.
Anywho, wish me luck on my apartment application and hopefully I can see you all in Orlando sooner than later!

WDWKat26

It didn't help that nearly every CM I saw looked bored to tears, uncaring, or told me some negative thing about their job when I asked. I hate that because I'd like to think I'm the CM who is nice to everyone and tries to remember to keep the experience, but I can't help but wonder if everyone eventually deteriorates to this state of "drone-ism" or "robot-like." I'd really hope not. I definently think it depends on where you are and what you're doing. For example, if I get put in a parking lot waving a light all day, I think I'd drone out. But if I was in the Haunted Mansion where I could maintain character all day or if I was somewhere I was passionate about, I would never sink to "robot-ism." Heck, I managed to avoid falling into that when I was in freakin' retail!

Yeah, I know what you mean. It just seems like sometimes CM's are out of it, and bored with their jobs. Unfortunately Disney is so desperate to find people to work for them that they can't be picky anymore on who they choose. They're hiring people who know nothing about "The Magic" and some of these CM's have never been to Disney before so they haven't had the same experiences that other CM's have had. I still love my job, and I love everything about it. Unfortunately, for people working in Quick Service, Custodial and other hard jobs, their days become monotonous and mundane. Especially when Disney is working some of their CM's 60+ hours a week. Unfortunately we can't fire CM's for being lazy and bored, but the job is what you make of it. In my opinion, a lot of CM's should enjoy their job and what they can offer to others, or leave the company.

MagliteL13

Yeah, finding a good apartment in Orlando is a little stressing---okay, very stressing. I hope for ya that everything works out okay.

Working QSR does become mundane and boring after a while, but that's the challenge of it-- Finding a way to keep it fun. I totally agree with you, WDWKat26, that CMs either need to enjoy the job or leave.

DisneySaint

Original Poster
Fortunately I only even applied in Operations, Hospitality, or Transportation because I figured that would guarantee me guest interaction (that's what I told them was my justification for picking those was). Even though I got the last of my choices (Operations), I still keep optomistic that it will be something I would enjoy and not something horrific.

Captain Hank

I can DEFINATELY commiserate with you about finding an apartment in Orlando. That was the single largest headache of the whole process. However, once that was done, everything else wasn't so bad. And, I can agree that I've found some fellow cast members that should probably find employment elsewhere. However, this is still the minority of CM's, and there are still many, many fantastic CM's out there making magic for our Guests. Don't give up, and welcome to our family! :wave:

CrashNet

Fortunately I only even applied in Operations, Hospitality, or Transportation because I figured that would guarantee me guest interaction (that's what I told them was my justification for picking those was). Even though I got the last of my choices (Operations), I still keep optomistic that it will be something I would enjoy and not something horrific.

Let us know what you get in Operations. I'm familiar with a lot of the different types of positions as are others here, and we can give you the scoop of what to expect.

However, this is still the minority of CM's, and there are still many, many fantastic CM's out there making magic for our Guests. Don't give up, and welcome to our family! :wave:

Very very true. There are so many who come to work day in and day out who absolutely LOVE their job. Unfortunately there are some who don't, but its all about what you are there for, and fortunately most of us are there to make magic. :)

LilRoo714

I hope you realize how lucky you are that you have such a supportive wife that is encouraging your move! I am not married and considering the move to Orlando, and I can almost guarantee doing this alone is more daunting and emotionally wracking than it would be having someone to do it with. :drevil:

Congratulations to both of you on your courage to pick up and follow a dream and I sincerely hope it works out for the best!! :sohappy:

DisneySaint

Original Poster
I hope you realize how lucky you are that you have such a supportive wife that is encouraging your move! I am not married and considering the move to Orlando, and I can almost guarantee doing this alone is more daunting and emotionally wracking than it would be having someone to do it with. :drevil:

Congratulations to both of you on your courage to pick up and follow a dream and I sincerely hope it works out for the best!! :sohappy:

Trust me, I know. And thanks for reminding me. I actually said those exact words to my wife ... that I can't imagine doing this without her. And I think of all the people who have moved alone and wonder how they did it.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Continued good luck to you, and hopefully the most stressful part of your adventure is now over. The CM's here and other folks on the boards may provide you with additional suggestions for apartments. Have you checked with any realtors on homes for rent? I have no idea on prices in the Orlando area, but that may be a viable option.

CrashNet

Trust me, I know. And thanks for reminding me. I actually said those exact words to my wife ... that I can't imagine doing this without her. And I think of all the people who have moved alone and wonder how they did it.
Its tough, no doubt about it. Especially that first night. I can honestly say I've never felt more alone. But I think the excitement of starting the next day (for my CP, I'm a CM now) kept me sane. Then I met my roommates and coworkers and it was smooth sailing.

Its tough finding a place close to Disney, or in Lake Buena Vista for that matter, that isn't really expensive or a rat hole (no pun intended). Several I knew got apartments in Celebration and in Kissimmee.

DisneySaint

Original Poster
By the way, if anyone else IS indeed coming alone on or after my arrival date of the 28th, let me know. I, more than anything, need to make new friends down there so I don't feel so alone and away from home. I need to maximize my efforts to MAKE it my new home.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Good Luck Joey :wave:

I believe that you will find happiness and a home in Orlando for you and your wife. You seem to have a positive attitude and outlook.

joanna71985

Good luck Joey. That is the one thing I am not looking forward to when I move down here- looking for apartments. Hopefully everything goes well with the CP, and let us know what area you get.

ct00000

Here's wishing you all the best. I remember some of your past posts and the shared desire that you and I both have to work there. Kudos to you (and your wife). I'm moving to Orlando (now I'm about 1.5 hours north) in the Spring of next year, but I am there just about every weekend.
Maybe we can all get together and chat.

You're going to be very happy with you and your wife's decision!
:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom