Trip Report *COMPLETED* A Jolly Holiday with K & J

Hello and welcome to my very first trip report! I’ve been following along to many people’s trip reports over the past few months, and I’ve decided it’s time to come out of the shadows and write my own! I so enjoy reading trip reports on here - it helps me feel like I’m really there, and allows me to live vicariously through others while I’m pining away for my next Disney trip. I hope that I can give some of you the same joy that you have given me!

Let’s get down to the details...

Who: Katie (me)

DF8F58FF-CC07-4B01-9D86-DD3881B34D22.jpeg

And Jason (my husband)

4D8041A9-4F50-42E2-BC11-71F6BE64212F.jpeg

We’re a couple of WDW APs, Georgia Peaches, and #ChildlessMillennials who just celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary.

BEF8A051-8BC1-4BB2-A3AD-A9D3720CCA17.jpeg
FB8AEC56-2BEC-4E70-9563-8B93C47436A4.jpeg
1D28DA1A-5786-47D3-BFA4-FB0CE123D28A.jpeg

This is our second trip to Disneyland - here we are on our first trip back in 2016.

DD9CF7FF-91BD-4CE2-AB40-17D867B7189B.jpeg

When: Flying into San Diego on November 30th (more on that later), driving up to LA on December 1st, and checking into the Disneyland Hotel :) for five nights, 12/1-6.

Where: The Disneyland Hotel!!! We stayed across the street at the Tropicana Inn on our last trip - the hotel itself was fine. Clean rooms, pretty affordable, and a five-minute walk to either park. BUT we are SO SO excited to be staying onsite this time around!

Why: We love the Disney parks during the holiday season! We went to Disneyland the week after Thanksgiving 2016, and we’ve done WDW the last two Christmas seasons. We’d love to do Disneyland every other year, but it is SO. EXPENSIVE. to fly to California from Atlanta. It’s a 7-hour drive for us to get to WDW, and we have annual passes, so WDW is much more cost-effective for us.

I hope that you all enjoy following along!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
“Why in the world is she flying into San Diego?”, you may be asking yourself. We originally planned on flying into John Wayne on 12/1, but all of the flights from Atlanta and Chattanooga (we live about an hour from either airport) to any of the LA-area airports on any of the major airlines were CRAZY expensive for 12/1 and 11/30. Flights to San Diego were hundreds of dollars cheaper. So, we’re making lemonade out of our lemons, and spending a day in San Diego on 11/30, and driving up the coast on 12/1. If any of you have any suggestions on what to do in San Diego, we’re certainly open to them! As of right now we plan to see Balboa Park, Hotel del Coronado (the inspiration for Grand Flo!), and La Jolla. We hope to do some other fun things in the LA-area on 12/1 before checking into our hotel. One of our biggest regrets of our last Disneyland trip is not seeing anything else in the area.

Speaking of regrets, we had a few our last trip. 1) Underestimating the weather - we laughed at all of the thin-blooded Californians who were bundled up in heavy jackets, hats, and gloves in sixty-degree weather. And then the Santa Ana winds came. :cold: We’ll be better prepared for the chilly nights this time around. 2) Not seeing Paint the Night - we planned to see it the last night of our trip back in 2016, but it was SO COLD (see #1) that we ended up heading back to our hotel early. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like PTN will be around this trip. :cry: 3) Only doing 2.5 days in the parks - we felt a little rushed last time around, and didn’t get to accomplish everything we wanted. This time we’ll have four full days, so plenty of time to see and do everything, and hopefully have more time to take in the little details and take more photos!

Last edited:

lostpro9het

“Why in the world is she flying into San Diego?”, you may be asking yourself. We originally planned on flying into John Wayne on 12/1, but all of the flights from Atlanta and Chattanooga (we live about an hour from either airport) to any of the LA-area airports on any of the major airlines were CRAZY expensive for 12/1 and 11/30. Flights to San Diego were hundreds of dollars cheaper. So, we’re making lemonade out of our lemons, and spending a day in San Diego on 11/30, and driving up the coast on 12/1. If any of you have any suggestions on what to do in San Diego, we’re certainly open to them! As of right now we plan to see Balboa Park, Hotel del Coronado (the inspiration for Grand Flo!), and La Jolla. We hope to do some other fun things in the LA-area on 12/1 before checking into our hotel. One of our biggest regrets of our last Disneyland trip is not seeing anything else in the area.

Speaking of regrets, we had a few our last trip. 1) Underestimating the weather - we laughed at all of the thin-blooded Californians who were bundled up in heavy jackets, hats, and gloves in sixty-degree weather. And then the Santa Ana winds came. :cold: We’ll be better prepared for the chilly nights this time around. 2) Not seeing Paint the Night - we planned to see it the last night of our trip back in 2016, but it was SO COLD (see #1) that we ended up heading back to our hotel early. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like PTN will be around this trip. :cry: 3) Only doing 2.5 days in the parks - we felt a little rushed last time around, and didn’t get to accomplish everything we wanted. This time we’ll have four full days, so plenty of time to see and do everything, and hopefully have more time to take in the little details and take more photos!
Curious, did you consider taking the train from San Diego to DL? We’re heading out that way In September for a Surf n Turf and the locals recommended the train over car for getting from SD to DL.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Curious, did you consider taking the train from San Diego to DL? We’re heading out that way In September for a Surf n Turf and the locals recommended the train over car for getting from SD to DL.

I knew it was an option, but didn’t really look into it. I’m sure the train is probably much faster (no traffic!), but we like the freedom of having our own vehicle. Plus we plan to make some stops along the way to make the drive worthwhile! :)

MickeyCB

Following along! We went to Disneyland once a few years ago and the paint the night parade was awesome!
We too were only there for 2 1/2 days and packed alot in.
I don't know if the timing is still the same, but we were able to watch the night parade in Disneyland, turn around and watch the fireworks, then ran out of the park over to California Adventure and caught the World of Color. It was amazing.
Have a great time on your trip!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Grew up going to Disneyland, so very much looking forward to your report!
Welcome! Glad to have you here!
Never been to Disneyland (only WDW), so it's fun for me to read about other people's vacation experiences there.

I'm in! :happy:
Thank you for following along! We are definitely WDW people, but it’s so special to walk where Walt walked!
I love Disneyland anytime but the holiday are so beautiful there. Have fun!
Thank you! I’ve been reading your year-long DLR report and it’s definitely gotten me even more excited!
Joining in. We are considering a trip to Disneyland over the holidays next year.
Welcome! Disneyland doesn’t have all of the special events WDW has for the holidays (MVMCP, Candlelight Processional, etc), BUT it is so beautiful during the holidays, and the ride overlays are AWESOME!
Following along! We went to Disneyland once a few years ago and the paint the night parade was awesome!
We too were only there for 2 1/2 days and packed alot in.
I don't know if the timing is still the same, but we were able to watch the night parade in Disneyland, turn around and watch the fireworks, then ran out of the park over to California Adventure and caught the World of Color. It was amazing.
Have a great time on your trip!
Thank you! I loooove how close the two parks are! Park hopping is a breeze compared to WDW!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Looking back through my photos from the last two years has me feeling nostalgic for Christmastime at WDW. While we’re obviously THRILLED and so so thankful to be going back to Disneyland, there’s still a part of me that is sad to be missing out on MVMCP, the Epcot Festival of the Holidays, the Christmas Tree Trail at Disney Springs, going around to all of the deluxe resorts to look at their decorations, etc. First world problems, I know. Is that weird? Am I just Disney-spoiled? Maybe don’t answer that! :joyfull: Alas, I will have to live vicariously through others’ WDW trip reports this holiday season!
77182A21-90EC-43BB-8DB7-2B968A7944C7.jpeg

463E6E07-7189-4E1C-B968-B440E1AB62EF.jpeg

76B28F06-B069-49B9-B6B6-A33412D10A5D.jpeg

87737B21-B929-4851-AEBF-9EF90381D668.jpeg

46E10A6F-435B-45AA-BCE4-7CF5FA910D8A.jpeg

76347A13-3DB1-4B6B-8A8F-1BA4C0E41A81.jpeg

4DDC4F9C-3BE4-45A9-A7F1-1027A0715841.jpeg

C8CD6C82-CB17-45B5-9A00-044847B061B3.jpeg

6B9723B1-1346-4D1C-918C-805A58272D67.jpeg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Looking back through my photos from the last two years has me feeling nostalgic for Christmastime at WDW. While we’re obviously THRILLED and so so thankful to be going back to Disneyland, there’s still a part of me that is sad to be missing out on MVMCP, the Epcot Festival of the Holidays, the Christmas Tree Trail at Disney Springs, going around to all of the deluxe resorts to look at their decorations, etc. First world problems, I know. Is that weird? Am I just Disney-spoiled? Maybe don’t answer that! :joyfull: Alas, I will have to live vicariously through others’ WDW trip reports this holiday season!
View attachment 425546
View attachment 425547
View attachment 425548
View attachment 425549
View attachment 425550
View attachment 425551
View attachment 425552
View attachment 425553
View attachment 425554

Last year I felt that way too, I thought I would really miss WDW at the Christmas season and I did but Disneyland is very enchanting. it's a small world holiday, the overlay at the HM, and DCA has its festival of the holiday to make it fun. Plus there aren't any Christmas parties so at Disneyland it is Christmas fireworks and the Christmas parade everyday!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Last year I felt that way too, I thought I would really miss WDW at the Christmas season and I did but Disneyland is very enchanting. it's a small world holiday, the overlay at the HM, and DCA has its festival of the holiday to make it fun. Plus there aren't any Christmas parties so at Disneyland it is Christmas fireworks and the Christmas parade everyday!
I’m glad I’m not the only one! Disneyland has a special Magic of its own, and I’m excited to be there for Christmastime again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom