A (Hopefully!) May 2012 Pre-Trip Report

This is my first pre-trip report. :sohappy: Since I have most of my planning saved on my computer anyways, I figured why not post it here?

Anyways, our May trip is only hopefully a reality because for the first time my boyfriend and I are paying for it, as we're going just the two of us without our parents (which is completely fine I can't wait to go with him!)

A little about us:

100_2760.jpg

My name is Brittany, I'm 19 and a college student and a part time sales associate at Staples. Of course I love everything Disney and am sooooo excited to be able to go and do all kinds of couple-y thing. Charlie is 22, he's a jeweler at the moment, and he's getting his real estate license in September. He's also way more into Disneyland than WDW. In all fairness though, the last time he went to WDW was this July, and he only had one day in the parks (he was with his parents who only went for a few days for business things). In one day he went to Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and MK. This was the only time he'd been to WDW since he was 8 years old, so I think he's well overdue for a week long trip... preferably with me. :lookaroun

So we decided on May because if at all possible I'd rather not go in the summer. The last couple of times I've been to WDW have been either the 4th of July or the week after, and as much as I love WDW both of us would rather spend the 4th at home, and we think July as a whole is a little too hot and crowded for us. August I'm usually busy with working, (its the only time I get the hours I want at Staples because it's busier for Back to School season). My spring break is also another opportunity for me to hopefully get some more hours at work so I would ideally not choose that week to go away either. I know, what college student works during spring break? This one does apparently. :hammer: I'm already going to WDW with my family in December, and that would be way to close for us to come up with the money, so that is also out of the question. The busy time's for Charlie's job are mainly Christmas and Valentine's Day, May can be a little tough because of mother's day but not nearly as bad as the others. We basically want to be home for the busy times at work so we can make more money for the trip. Also, May is when I come home from school, (I go to school in NH and live in MA for the summer). I work at a Staples at school as well as at home, but when I'm home it's much harder to get hours, especially the first week or two that I'm home. I don't know what it is, I've asked for more hours numerous times, the problem comes down to the fact that there's too many people working there part time so there isn't much they can do I guess.

The dates we're planning on are May 13th to 18th. As of right now, we're planning on staying at All Star Movies, though in the event that we save more money we'll try Pop Century, and if we save more than that Port Orleans, and if we save more than that (which I highly doubt we will) we'd LOVE to stay at Wilderness Lodge. The hotel really doesn't matter much to us, because we figure we won't be in the rooms anyways, and we love the themes of all the hotels either way.

We have a rough idea of what the trip is going to cost, which is what we're going by to figure out how much to save for it. We'd be going for 5 nights and 6 days, and we'd be flying down from Boston. Ideally we'll have a morning flight on the 13th and an evening flight on the 18th so we can still have those two days.

We are definitely going to have a 6 day park hopper, but we're a little bit unsure if we should get the dining plan or not. I feel like we should in one sense, because I think it'd be better to have our food already paid for in advance, just because this is our first time paying for everything ourselves. So I'd feel better knowing that everything except tips/shopping for the most part is already paid for. But on the other hand, I don't know how much we'd actually eat. I know for a fact there will be times where we'll be hungry but I probably won't finish a whole meal on my own, so I would like to just share some quick services, but the idea of having it paid for with the dining plan and sticking to that puts me a little bit more at ease I guess.

We figured out that to stay at All Star Movies for those dates with airfare, park hoppers and the dining plan, for 2 people it would be around $2245, which really isn't bad thats basically $1122 a person. We were going to wait until we had two thirds of the money saved up before we book it just to be safe, but at the (surprising) rate we're going saving it, we might just book it when we get half way there. Instead of just saving up $1122 each, we've both been saving money but combining it, we're not really keeping track of whose paying what, it will probably be about even anyways. So far we have $945 saved up, so we'll hopefully be booking it soon!

Next post-- The Crazy Ways We're Saving Money & Getting My Parents Approval to Go with Just Charlie :eek:

WDW_Princess24

How exciting!! I really hope this all works out for the two of you. It will be such a special experience for the two of you to share together! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you both, and that includes getting your parents approval!!

My BF and I always stay in the value resorts! For the money and the amount of time you actually spend in the rooms, you can't beat it! Keep us posted!

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
Thank you! I think my mom will approve its my dad that probably won't like it too much. Oh well, I'll see how that goes, I'm not planning on bringing it up to them too soon, I'd want it to be set in stone first.

WDW_Princess24

I'm 27 and I still don't think my dad likes it too much LOL all part of being Daddy's little girl. No matter how old you get, he still sees it that way.

enchanted_belle

And here I was waiting to do my February 2012 pre-trip report lol. I'm doing my first full-WDW trip without the adults tagging along next year too, but there's four of us going in a 2 bedroom villa instead of two of us.

My parents just won't need to know that we switched the rooming partners around.... :lookaroun

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
I've yet to tell my parents about this trip still, but I think it'd be better to wait until we book it so we know for sure we're going. I'd hate to tell them, and deal with the awkward talk I know I'm going to get, and then not end up going.

Aside from keeping this from my parents a little bit longer, we went a little overboard spending some of the money we saved yesterday. I think part of the problem was, we were basically using money for things like gas/bills/whatever was needed, and putting the rest away for the trip. But then yesterday Charlie and I both had a day off, which hardly ever happens, and we went out and spent a little too much money. When I'm home from school and theres a day that we're both not working I really like to take advantage of it and, well.. do something good that we don't normally have time to do. When I'm at school I go weeks at a time without seeing him, and when he does come up to visit he usually has to leave early because my school's intervisitation policy is very strict and its just more of a hassle than its worth to sneak him in. So yesterday, with our day off we accidentally went on a little spending spree. :(

Originally, we planned on going out to lunch, and then just kind of hanging around my pool. But then we remembered that we could go to Patriot Place and watch the Patriots practice for free. In our heads, I think the word "free" was jumping out at us, and with the fact that we wanted to save money we just figured we'd do this after lunch.

We had lunch at Shabu-ya in Harvard Square, if anyones ever in the Boston area I'd highly recommend it, it's one of my favorite restaurants over there. Without going into too much detail about lunch heres a link to their website-- http://www.shabuyarestaurant.com/ .. Its a very fun place, and not expensive at all for lunch. Our bill for lunch with the tip came to $33. This is $33 that we planned on putting back into the Disney fund. We also walked around some of the shops in Harvard Square, which I KNEW was a bad idea because I can honestly say I have no self control with shopping, and thats why when I'm trying to save money I'd rather just avoid it all together. But Charlie wanted to go in Newbury Comics, and we ended up buying 2 CDs. We justified this purchase by saying that we'd want something to listen to on the way to Patriot Place, which was about 45 min. away, but it was still another $10 from our Disney money.

Aside from the money spent on lunch and CDs, we also spent money to get there on the T. It was $3.40 round trip x two people so thats another $6.80 we took out of the Disney money.

When we got back off the train to drive to Patriot Place, we put $20 worth of gas in the car just to be safe, aka more money from the Disney fund.

Watching them practice was a great time, I've never been to a practice or a game before so I thought it was exciting. (And Tom Brady was there so I was happy). :D

DSC01371.jpg

After sitting out watching the practice, it started to get really hot. Throughout the whole practice they were walking around with drinks, and with us realizing that our Disney money was dwindling we wanted to wait until we found somewhere cheaper, like a vending machine. We ended up getting soda at Dunkin Donuts, which isn't too bad I guess. I don't remember how much that was, but I'm assuming we owe the Disney fund about another $4 or $5 for that.

We walked around Patriot Place some more and looked at the shops, and we actually did good restraining ourselves. Until we got hungry. We had lunch at around 11:00 AM and it was now almost 6:30. Red Robin looked like the cheapest place around, although there was a Five Guys and I don't know why we just walked right by, it might have something to do with the fact that we wanted to go all out because we never have a day off together. So for the second time yesterday we went out to eat. With the tip, that bill came to another $33.

So in one day we successfully spent about $103 from our saved money for Disney. But I'm leaving for school at the end of the month and with the way our work schedules are I doubt we'll have another whole day to do something together like this for a while, so I still think it was worth it. And in the grand scheme of things $100 we spent for the two of us yesterday went pretty far.

Now we're $100 behind in saving for Disney, but I'm hoping that for me anyways (where its Back to School at Staples) I'll be able to save more money to completely make up for yesterday's little adventure. Charlie's planning on putting a couple of hundred away for Disney this weekend, so that should help too.

We've also been saving bottles and cans to deposit them, which so far has been pretty helpful, I mean, if were just going to recycle them anyways why not get the deposit back? From parties/get togethers at my house this summer we've saved a couple hundred cans which brought in $10.75 for the Disney fund. It's not much but it will add up. The combined change we both had lying around gave us another $9.85 as well. And my grandpa gave me a little idea to save money too-- he saves all his five dollar bills, which sounds really strange but it works out well. Other than we're literally saving whatever we don't absolutely need from every pay check. And now that yesterdays spending spree is over, we should be on the right track again.

switts

The saving 5 dollar bill things is weird but it works. I have done once because i didnt beleive it would work and in a week i had like 35 bucks saved. As for patriot place it is like a home away from home for me. I go to at least one pats game a year and many trips to bass pro shops and red robin. I have yet to see a practice due to work but i hear its fun. Maybe ill eventually get there seeing as im only about an hours drive from there.

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
The saving 5 dollar bill things is weird but it works. I have done once because i didnt beleive it would work and in a week i had like 35 bucks saved. As for patriot place it is like a home away from home for me. I go to at least one pats game a year and many trips to bass pro shops and red robin. I have yet to see a practice due to work but i hear its fun. Maybe ill eventually get there seeing as im only about an hours drive from there.
If you can make it over there for a practice it was a really good time. If we had planned it better we would have stayed for the whole thing, and maybe brought some sandwiches and drinks with us, it'd be a great place to have a picnic.

switts

yea that whole complex is just awesome. It was even better back in december when we beat the jets on monday night and it was about -10 up in the nosebleeds :hammer: . As for getting to a practice work is hard to get out of because if i dont go in i dont get paid so i never miss work

silver1113

Dont be too hard on yourselves. You are doing great. Once in awhile you need to do something nice especially as you say you will be going back to school real soon. Good Luck with the spending and the trip. Even though I'm a parent of a 19 yr daughter, I think it is best for you to wait till you are booked to say anything. It also gives your parents less time to worry.

enchanted_belle

I use to do the recycled bottles for my Disney trips when I was younger, that money adds up quick. I think I managed about $400 or $500 one year. I wish Delaware still did that, it would be helpful for my trip next year. :cry:

I think I'm going to start saving all of these odds and ends every chance I get to. I'm hoping with the announcement of the free DDP through next year that it will save us a lot of money on our trip (we're lucky, we get a week at a 2 room villa for $250 total).

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
yea that whole complex is just awesome. It was even better back in december when we beat the jets on monday night and it was about -10 up in the nosebleeds :hammer: . As for getting to a practice work is hard to get out of because if i dont go in i dont get paid so i never miss work
Oh my, I can't imagine how cold it must be up there in December, that must have been fun though

Dont be too hard on yourselves. You are doing great. Once in awhile you need to do something nice especially as you say you will be going back to school real soon. Good Luck with the spending and the trip. Even though I'm a parent of a 19 yr daughter, I think it is best for you to wait till you are booked to say anything. It also gives your parents less time to worry.
Thank you! I think my mom will be fine with it, my dad on the other hand I'm not exactly sure. But I'll be 20 by then, and I think they'd rather see me go to WDW with Charlie than to some crazy spring break type place with a huge group, so hopefully they'll be okay with it.

I use to do the recycled bottles for my Disney trips when I was younger, that money adds up quick. I think I managed about $400 or $500 one year. I wish Delaware still did that, it would be helpful for my trip next year. :cry:

I think I'm going to start saving all of these odds and ends every chance I get to. I'm hoping with the announcement of the free DDP through next year that it will save us a lot of money on our trip (we're lucky, we get a week at a 2 room villa for $250 total).
The recycled bottles have been working good so far for us. Are there any states near you that do it? We've been saving the Poland Spring bottles to deposit in ME. (I know thats kind of bad, since were not paying the deposit on them in MA, but I think we'll get over it if it means Disney money). I go to school in NH so Maine isn't that much further, after we save enough (like enough to make the gas worth it) we're going to drive up and deposit them. Probably during my last week of school so we'll have months of bottles saved. And $250 is great for that! :eek:

enchanted_belle

The recycled bottles have been working good so far for us. Are there any states near you that do it? We've been saving the Poland Spring bottles to deposit in ME. (I know thats kind of bad, since were not paying the deposit on them in MA, but I think we'll get over it if it means Disney money). I go to school in NH so Maine isn't that much further, after we save enough (like enough to make the gas worth it) we're going to drive up and deposit them. Probably during my last week of school so we'll have months of bottles saved. And $250 is great for that! :eek:

I just looked, nothing in the area at all!! :( Delaware was the only one for a while, and they got rid of it this year. Maybe rethinking about selling my school books won't be such a bad idea right now... :rolleyes:

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
I just looked, nothing in the area at all!! :( Delaware was the only one for a while, and they got rid of it this year. Maybe rethinking about selling my school books won't be such a bad idea right now... :rolleyes:
Aww =[ I actually just checked a water bottle and it says "Not for sale in states without bottle tax" ... I don't know what that means, since I bought it in MA, where there is no tax on Poland Spring water, so hopefully I can still deposit it in ME... So much work for 5 cents lol

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
Getting in Shape for Disney!

Just a quick update on our trip planning-- :D

After gaining the freshman 15 from my first year of college (well, not really 15 pounds but it feels like it!) Charlie and I have been eating much healthier and walking a couple of miles everyday. Its only been a week so far since we've started and I'm 5 pounds lighter already so hopefully we really keep up with this. I guess this doesn't really have too much to do with Disney, but I do want to be in really good shape to walk around all the parks. We've been walking some of the trails at Breakheart Reservation every day, (Bostonians will probably know where this is). In addition to the daily walking, I've been doing yoga on the Wii Fit. I just hope I can keep up with this whole routine I have going when I go back to school in 2 weeks. I'm not looking forward to all the delicious but fattening food my school serves for this reason.

For the money situation we're still saving bottles and cans, and we're still unfortunately a little bit behind in saving from the day I mentioned in my last update. It was nice to be carefree that day though, and not have to worry about how much things would cost because we had the money anyways. However this week I DID get a raise (granted it was only 32 cents, its stil something!) and I worked 37 hours, which is a lot for part time (and 8 of those hours I'll have time and a half for). So thanks to Staples putting me on almost full time hours this week we should be back to where we were if not a tiny bit ahead of the game money-saving wise.

Nothing else to really update right now, I'll update again when we make a significant difference in how much $$ we have saved... or if I lose hmm... I don't know.. 20 - 30 lbs XD

lbrad

Anxiosly waiting to hear more ...esp how dad reacts when you tell him about your "couple' only trip ....Good Luck :wave:

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
:wave:

Parents still have no idea about this trip, or so I think. We were talking about it the other night in my kitchen without knowing that my parents were sitting in the next room with the door opened. So they may or may not know :shrug: .

I'm happy to say though, that I was able to pick up some more extra hours this week at work which will add about an extra $100 to the Disney fund. After this week we'll have about $850 saved up, actually more than that because that's without including Charlies input from this week, so I'm happy with our progress. I'm also probably going to work my other, (seasonal) job in the fall, (hopefully). Last year while I was at school, I got a side job at a haunted hay ride. My roommate and I worked together at Charmingfare Farm (in Candia NH) as zombies in the cemetery scene. It was actually a really fun job, we spent most of the time hanging around with the rest of the actors roasting marshmallows, as we had more down time than we did scare time. Also, from what I've read, the Harvest of Horror at Charmingfare Farm is much cheaper than other Halloween events in the area like Spookyworld. I don't know if its worth driving to NH if you're not already in the area because I've never actually been able to ride the hay ride and see the show, but we have a great time working it anyways.

Here I am at my farm job: XD

100_2140.jpg

Why did I mention my farm gig in this post? Well, apparently scaring people for Halloween makes some pretty good money, especially while saving for a Disney trip. I make as much money during the Halloween season at the farm as I would in about a month and a half at Staples, except we're given our pay from the farm at one time instead of weekly. So this means I'll have an extra chunk of money to put towards Disney :D.

Thats it for now, don't laugh to hard at my zombie picture :lol:

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
Also question to anyone whose reading this--

As of right now we're planning on staying at one of the All Stars, probably Movies, but in the event that we save extra money we'd probably stay at Port Orleans.

From what we've figured out the trip will cost now (with everything that needs to be paid for ahead of time; room, dining plan, tickets, airfare, etc...) it would cost us another $408 approximately to stay at Port Orleans for the same number of nights. Instead though, we could stay at All Stars for an extra day for only $264.

Question: Is it worth it to stay at Port Orleans for a day less, or would it be better to stay an extra day at All Star Movies? My vote right now goes to the extra day, but Charlie has been wanting to stay at Port Orleans so we're a little undecided.

ctosh

I was just looking at Disneys getaway vacation packages and they have 6 night 7 day for $93 per person.. you may want to call and check it out.. It was at a value resort and the quick service dining plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom