A fun look back at 1965

George Lucas on a Bench

I saw this years ago in the middle of the night on the Disney channel. I was blown away witnessing Walt Disney with models and paintings from The Haunted Mansion. I was like, "Is that what I think it is??" Then the old codger never gets the name right even after he's corrected and is convinced there's some attraction called The House of Illusions, which obviously wasn't a thing. Or...what do we call it?! Haunted Mansion and, uh...and, uh...Supernatural!

D

Deleted member 107043

I saw this years ago in the middle of the night on the Disney channel. I was blown away witnessing Walt Disney with models and paintings from The Haunted Mansion. I was like, "Is that what I think it is??" Then the old codger never gets the name right even after he's corrected and is convinced there's some attraction called The House of Illusions, which obviously wasn't a thing. Or...what do we call it?! Haunted Mansion and, uh...and, uh...Supernatural!

My impression from books I've read and videos like this is that he'd pretty moved on from Disneyland after the New York World's Fair, which was right around the time this special aired. He seemed to be squarely focused on WDW and EPCOT at the time. It's funny to think that a lot of us here are much more passionate about Disneyland than Walt Disney was towards the end of his life.

Californian Elitist

I also remember seeing this on the Disney Channel as a child (back when the Disney Channel was of quality). Love this special. The dancing cake slices where my favorite as a child. I’m pretty sure I have this on DVD.

britain

Is it any wonder the Mansion sputtered directionless after Walt died? He didn’t even know what it was going to be in the official marketing material when he was alive!

D

Deleted member 107043

Question... does anyone know who the three witches with the enormous heads and tiny hands are?

Capture.jpg

What in the world??

AndyS2992

Came across this looking for something else, but worth watching, A look back at the Disneyland Tencennial, which was celebrated on July 18th, 1965.

Love the 'sloppiness' of their presentation. Imagineers being clearing uncomfortable, Walt doesn't even know what things are, and of course "you believe in pirates, of course?" as if they're fictitious.

Watch the dwarf take his head off at 16:26 lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom