Trip Report A Friend Like Her *COMPLETED*

“Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
~
Forrest Gump

Ah, February. The month of heart-shaped boxes of chocolate. The month of romance and love. The month of someone’s Valentine birthday.

The month of the crappiest weather in 95 percent of the country. Including Florida.

The month in which another mother/daughter jaunt to WDW brought unexpected surprises.....some great, some not-so-great....much like biting into a piece of boxed chocolate.

Much like life itself.

I’d LOVE to have you follow along on our long-weekend adventure.

Who: Tuvalu and Em (with special appearances by a dear friend)
When: January 31 - February 4, 2020
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort

50EC2F59-4772-40F9-B654-A53DD93293C9.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following her exhilarating experience on RotR, Kelly suggested the Single Rider Line for the Falcon. Em and I haven’t done Falcon yet and really weren’t that pumped about it (TBH I’m pretty sure it’s gonna make me queasy), but Kel = fun so we were willing to give it a go.

Our Energizer Bunny made it to the Single Rider Entrance lickety-split! Before Em and I could catch up, Kelly was headed back our way.

“The cast member said the single rider line is closed because the standby line is too long.”

Darn. :angelic:

Instead we exited Batuu into Toy Story Land. After a quick restroom stop, I suggested Alien Swirling Saucers ~ another first for Kel.

151B0FA4-1A54-4F92-9C0D-BF70AF579B8B.jpeg

I let Em and Kel ride together so I could capture their fun.

CA095F17-2BCD-450E-AC06-0195D1259EF1.jpeg

F9952626-3ED1-4CEB-8A94-1B9695DBA628.jpeg

The ride got two thumbs up! It was at this point that Em’s coffee-deprivation started to kick in. Woody’s Lunch Box, though nearby, was a big fat NOPE! due to the length of the line. We checked the Joffrey’s stand outside TSL and the line there was longer than the line at Woody’s Lunch Box. Starbucks was absolutely out of the question.

But Tuvalu had a great idea. I said I’d reveal the plan once we had our commemorative DHS pics taken.

4BF6F3BB-352F-4882-BF26-72A9920A6705.jpeg

EC867A3B-A59C-42EA-AD89-20941C6CF600.jpeg

194B0997-D025-4358-B2FD-08EFAF17F7C8.jpeg

F0B9DADB-606C-4137-A898-C000E9F60673.jpeg

It wasn’t my birthday.....yet. But it was “close enough” for my gal pals to declare it so.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We felt like we’d done a lot.....yet it was only 9 am! Our original itinerary for the day was to tour Epcot (that’s where our FPs were) and I proposed taking the Skyliner (another first for Kel) and promised to find coffee for Em.

20A0D2AD-D814-4B53-9886-2E9FF0EA8164.jpeg

I remembered reading about a Joffrey’s stand at the Caribbean Beach station, though I did not share this info with Em or Kel. They were impressed by my certainty that there would be coffee at the end of the line, and were even more impressed to discover NO LINE at the kiosk!

C4EEEB72-996F-4893-A995-1429CCFC5BB0.jpeg

Em is usually a no-frills, regular black coffee drinker. But she was intrigued by this sign.

99E5C4BF-8D39-475C-AE56-447C5CE2E355.jpeg

When I added that this Toffee Flight Latte was exclusive to CBR (another tidbit I’d read), Em yielded to temptation.

16A928D1-7D40-45C4-B645-6A7DB1AAB08A.jpeg

She said it was DELICIOUS. Neither Kel nor I are coffee drinkers (frou-frou or otherwise) so we trusted Em’s judgment.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We reboarded the Skyliner on the Epcot line. Kel was quite impressed with the views and ease of this new form of transportation. It was chilly but no wind, so no swaying. 🙌

We entered via the IG and headed for Future World.

Look @bee ~ I forgot I snapped pic of the outside of the new restrooms! 🤣

88C092D9-40DB-4E1F-B198-FE6B768EF487.jpeg

We made it to the Farm Ride at the end of our FP window.

8415BABB-FAA7-4166-87AF-24E3868AF347.jpeg

This attraction was another first for Kelly. (Does this girl REALLY have a Seasonal Pass?!!)

FF1F3AF1-A8F6-4AC1-BFC7-5AAAC063A23E.jpeg

Kel was amazed by all the vegetation in the greenhouses and at the conclusion of the ride made a profound statement.

“Living with the Land was the inventor of Farm-to-Table!”

(Well if Al Gore can claim he invented the Internet.....)

We did not have a FP for Soarin’ but standby was only 30 minutes so we got in line.

AE80D2A2-4DEA-4838-B32F-C4AF14BEB611.jpeg

It gave Kel and Em a chance to show off their smarts!

CE01293E-C1B9-4E17-B6B7-5408409881A6.jpeg

Glider B Row 1!

19919E8F-55E8-4215-A562-D11973C0EAEA.jpeg

Soon we were airborne.

0E429F82-22EA-40B9-BEE3-630D1056E783.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks to blocked-off paths and new walls, it was a looong walk from the Land pavilion to Spaceship Earth ~ FP #2.

2F17C7F8-0B6A-4DD2-84C0-08677C37EAAB.jpeg

(Just saw that the canopy above our heads has been removed.)

There were bush-walls around SSE, creating a real cluster for us FP users.

50FD8938-54C1-4A2B-BCB8-E2D9D29D955E.jpeg

5DBE3336-0983-4FAE-9878-785DABA4A686.jpeg

Our wait was more “medium” than “fast.”

0E840AD7-59C9-42E8-BB20-DF9F1891FB35.jpeg

And oh my gosh is that descent S L O W! No wonder the wait to board was so long. Again I thought this would be our last SSE ride before the 2-3 year closure, but later I was able to get another FP for our April trip (and recently read SSE won’t close May 26.)

My future with Kelly. 🤣

DD8F6E64-B676-4345-9A06-0BE8BEE2ADE3.jpeg

EA7CB65C-9F7B-40B3-A9AE-CDA1C6182EA3.jpeg

2A920F82-9127-4342-B0A6-B736DF51794F.jpeg

slipperalwaysfits

Em NAILED IT!!

GREAT POSE!

Em and I were loving her reactions! It was like being with a little kid who was wonder-struck by everything she saw.
This is how my boyfriend (now husband) felt the first time he took me and it's how I will feel this fall when he gets to experience Galaxy's Edge.

I remembered reading about a Joffrey’s stand at the Caribbean Beach station, though I did not share this info with Em or Kel. They were impressed by my certainty that there would be coffee at the end of the line, and were even more impressed to discover NO LINE at the kiosk!

MUST. REMEMBER. THIS FOR FALL TRIP!!!!!!!!! Those hidden coffee stands are absolutely one of the highlights of my Disney time! I love Frou Frou coffee lattes, regular iced coffee or just a pick me up! :cool::eek::geek::hilarious::hilarious: The coffee drinks are super refreshing and needed on Disney trips!

“Living with the Land was the inventor of Farm-to-Table!”

HILARIOUS!! :geek: :geek: :joyfull: :joyfull: I do love how it's food for Disney restaurants, though!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hoping to experience RotR in May. Thanks for your trip reports and inside info!
Thank you for reading! MAY the force be with you to RISE!

When in April? Might I get the rare @Tuvalu sighting??
Easter week. Cause I’m craaazy.

from all the Star Wars Fans who will be going to DHS I just want to say thank you for this
And that..

View attachment 453436

Max
I do what I can. 🤣

MUST. REMEMBER. THIS FOR FALL TRIP!!!!!!!!! Those hidden coffee stands are absolutely one of the highlights of my Disney time! I love Frou Frou coffee lattes, regular iced coffee or just a pick me up! :cool::eek::geek::hilarious::hilarious: The coffee drinks are super refreshing and needed on Disney trips!
I love that you’re a frou frou coffee person! :joyfull:

Glad to see your future has your friend Kelly in it 😉
Me too! :inlove:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

Before our trip Em and I expected to spend a good bit of time exploring the Festival of the Arts (or FARTS, as @sheriffwoody coined it 🤣). In reality we did more of a “flyover”. Part of it was due to the convoluted walkways from current construction (we never did find the paint-by-number wall), part of it was being with the Energizer Bunny (slow is not in her vocabulary), and part of it were the crowds that prevented us from getting a closer look at all the “Arts”. (Clearly nobody was preparing for a Super Bowl party! :hilarious: )

I enjoy watching the Living Statues but we didn’t stay long. (See reasons 2 and 3 above.)

CC199711-FF54-4640-9165-4DA79C742CCD.jpeg

Our next mission was to find ~

E4E68419-A079-4999-818E-D8A231FCC4FA.jpeg

But in order to find the FARTS passholder magnet, we had to find the temporary location for MouseGear....which wasn’t easy!

D2ED52DB-40AD-413A-B168-E0F5B81869A0.jpeg

It was a long way to get there!

C4C7F4A3-D859-4C73-B56D-26D95A40A704.jpeg

And what a disappointment the temp MouseGear was! The original store was one of our favorite places to shop, due to the wide selection of merchandise (many items not found in other stores) and unique displays. This was generic ho-hum.

FF5ABEC0-A307-4BB5-A209-BE77605FA6BC.jpeg

I was reminded of the Seinfeld episode when Elaine wants to purchase a chocolate babka but the bakery is out of the chocolate kind. The owner offers cinnamon.

11934DB8-83E3-41F5-AD9A-E67C6937EBFA.gif

Elaine is uncertain until Jerry convinces her that cinnamon is not a “lesser babka.”

In my case this was a “lesser MouseGear”.

But at least we got our magnets.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Getting from Future World to World Showcase nowadays adds lots of steps to a Fitbit.

And what a pretty passage. 😖

41BB0187-2899-4788-A5E8-597703F087BA.jpeg

Final FP. (Yes, that’s the end of the FP line!)

8B7E1605-8A0E-4093-8061-81E18549C4EB.jpeg

Frozen Ever After was yet another first for Kel. She liked it.

A121D399-D351-48A2-AB5A-EAC0D17450DB.jpeg

(@Loco_driver I might have nailed it. But similar to your picture, it’s hard to tell. Give this one to me and I’ll give you yours! 🤣)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We visited the restrooms in Norway next. I happened to look up and saw these mini snow monsters on the side of the building.

60095FCD-D518-49D8-B1F8-7FDB94A21E88.jpeg

Although...do monsters play? I guess Mike and Sulley do, so this must be okay.

Em had requested La Cantina for lunch and the three of us were ready to CHOW DOWN. It was too 🥶 to dine al fresco, so we found a table inside La Hacienda. I’m so glad the seating in this restaurant is available for La Cantina patrons at lunch.

BAC245E7-B0BF-4773-B286-800453AC55F1.jpeg

Everything was yummy, especially the guac and chips we shared.

A588E4CC-82DE-43B6-BFC1-2E4685C0F6CF.jpeg

We sat and chick chatted for well over an hour. Em could have had a second margarita, but she said the first was pretty strong.

Kel did not know there was a ride inside the Mexico pavilion. 🤦🏻‍♀️

7F4E6A2F-6F13-49B7-8381-C0B545DB609D.jpeg

She does now!

5140D14A-9C53-4BD3-A2BF-C4B991660E3E.jpeg

amjt660

Premium Member
(@Loco_driver I might have nailed it. But similar to your picture, it’s hard to tell. Give this one to me and I’ll give you yours! 🤣)

I will give you the "I nailed it by looking directly into the camera" award

But

The " Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care" award goes the little girl in front of you - she nailed that one!!

1583252586036.png

Kel did not know there was a ride inside the Mexico pavilion. 🤦🏻‍♀️
She has seasonal pass you say - to what? SeaWorld???

Max

Attachments

• 1583252586498.png
    1583252586498.png
    581.9 KB · Views: 59

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We walked clockwise around the lagoon. Most of the special photo ops had long lines, but I insisted we wait for Crossing
the Delaware.

FE8CE166-F977-443B-B620-62B0E004BC28.jpeg

My mom bought the spirit jersey I’m wearing at FARTS last year. Tie Dye is usually not my thing, but I decided it would be fun to wear it to this year’s FARTS. I was happy temps finally warmed up enough to take off my jacket!

It was also warm enough for ice cream. (Any excuse, right @Longers?) We got soft serve waffle cones in France which were delish!

87FDF92B-70B1-476D-93D2-E27B91CE223B.jpeg

Luckily we saw a vacant table where we could sit and enjoy our treats. And sit we did! The afternoon had become simply gorgeous and we soaked in the warmth of the sun....which was 1,000x better than soaking in yesterday’s rain!

B61A5D0A-21A9-4645-8EBF-10C929A832BE.jpeg

We people-watched and watched the balancing act of the trapeze artist. We chick-chatted. And chick-chatted some more. We felt no guilt in hogging a table because no one seemed interested in it.

At last we moved on. Kel needed to be heading home because she had a Super Bowl party to attend. We offered to ride the Skyliner with her.

Skyliner cabins comfortably fit 8 adults. (The “official” capacity is 10, but that’s why I said “comfortably”.) There was only a short line to board at the IG station, so I was a little surprised when the CM instructed us to join a cabin which already held 2 adults. When there are few people waiting, CMs typically allow small parties to have their own cabins.

The two adults were sitting facing forward. Kel and Em sat down together on the opposite side and I sat across from them in order to ride forward. Suddenly, I was startled when a Pooh-sized older man literally sat on me as his similar-sized wife squeezed herself in next to him. They were traveling with an average-sized senior couple who shared the bench with Kel and Em.

I felt like I was in a vise. I couldn’t move and was creeped out by the very personal contact I was forced to have with the man who was still sitting on me. I could not believe the CM had told this senior citizen party of 4 to join our cabin.

The conversation that ensued between these 4 seniors made me doubt that they had been instructed to board our gondola. Let’s just say they weren’t the sharpest tools in the shed. For example, as we glided over the Speedway gas station, one remarked: “There’s a Speedway down there! I thought the Speedway was in the Magic Kingdom?”

“Maybe they built another one?”

“Oh wait, that looks like a gas station.” 🤦🏻‍♀️

It soon became clear they were on a joyride and not using the Skyliner as transportation. As we glided into the Riviera station another announced: “We’ll just stay on and ride back to Epcot.”

No, no you won’t, I thought to myself as I continued to count the seconds to our arrival at CBR when I’d be able to breathe again.

When the announcement was made that this was the end of the line and all passengers must disembark, these 4 were genuinely perplexed as to what to do next.

I don’t care as long as you GET OFF ME! I wanted to scream.

The doors couldn’t open fast enough for me. Kel and Em had been giving me sympathetic glances throughout the duration of the Least Magical Ride On Earth. The three of us separated ourselves ASAP from the clueless seniors.

We shared a group hug before Kel headed for the DHS gondola to retrieve her car. She had to work the next day so this was goodbye. :cry:

Em and I boarded the Pop/AoA gondola and ended up sharing a cabin with the same two adults whose cabin we joined at the IG. (At least it wasn’t the senior Poohs!)

Since I was rockin’ the groovy tie dye spirit jersey, Em had me pose in front of the tie dye giant 60. (Too bad the palms cast such a large shadow.)

8326C1D4-2053-437B-B81C-C2C972CD1E8F.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I were exhausted from our busy day which had begun almost 12 hours earlier. After climbing four flights of stairs, we turned the corner and saw a housekeeping cart.

It was 4:45 pm ~ surely our room had been serviced, right?

It had not. I was livid. I’m sure the extra crankiness was due to the Skyliner incident, but I really needed a nap and our floor really needed to be swept clean of old Cheerios. Em didn’t say a word. She knew I’d be making the long trek to the lobby to speak with a manager.

As I opened our door, I came face-to-face with the maid.

“You want me to clean room?” she asked.

“Please,” I answered, although I’m certain she could see the steam coming from my ears.

Em and I vacated the room so the housekeeper could do her job. Em went to sit by the pool while I went to find a manager. Thankfully the line at the Front Desk wasn’t long. I explained my frustration about returning to an unserviced room that had been empty the entire day. Mentioned the Cheerio. Mentioned the late noise from teen tour groups whose building we’d been assigned even though I had requested a room elsewhere.

This particular manager was not overly friendly nor empathetic. I understand CMs have to endure a lot of complaints, but one should always be pleasant. Always. And extremely late housekeeping service is unacceptable no matter which level of resort.

She disappeared for a moment and returned to say she’d given me a (paltry) room credit, the credit I would have received if I had opted out of housekeeping. Gee, thanks.

I met Em at the pool and we returned to our serviced room. (Note that I didn’t say clean....the floor had not been swept nor the sink cleaned of residue.) We collapsed on our beds and got a full 20 minute nap before freshening up and returning to Epcot for our evening festivities.

First up ~ dinner at Les Halles Boulangerie. The warm ham and cheese baguette made everything better!

ED1EC24E-2F48-4F15-B5F8-9BEF6A27D7B2.jpeg

Em went with the BLT.

B4516B48-E628-49A9-ACA2-990B5AD3CEAB.jpeg

We even had a place to sit! The evening was looking up.

B55DF36C-E093-4D4E-BDBB-B46B008C47BC.jpeg

93boomer

Premium Member
We walked clockwise around the lagoon. Most of the special photo ops had long lines, but I insisted we wait for Crossing
the Delaware.

View attachment 453633

My mom bought the spirit jersey I’m wearing at FARTS last year. Tie Dye is usually not my thing, but I decided it would be fun to wear it to this year’s FARTS. I was happy temps finally warmed up enough to take off my jacket!

It was also warm enough for ice cream. (Any excuse, right @Longers?) We got soft serve waffle cones in France which were delish!

View attachment 453631

Luckily we saw a vacant table where we could sit and enjoy our treats. And sit we did! The afternoon had become simply gorgeous and we soaked in the warmth of the sun....which was 1,000x better than soaking in yesterday’s rain!

View attachment 453632

We people-watched and watched the balancing act of the trapeze artist. We chick-chatted. And chick-chatted some more. We felt no guilt in hogging a table because no one seemed interested in it.

At last we moved on. Kel needed to be heading home because she had a Super Bowl party to attend. We offered to ride the Skyliner with her.

Skyliner cabins comfortably fit 8 adults. (The “official” capacity is 10, but that’s why I said “comfortably”.) There was only a short line to board at the IG station, so I was a little surprised when the CM instructed us to join a cabin which already held 2 adults. When there are few people waiting, CMs typically allow small parties to have their own cabins.

The two adults were sitting facing forward. Kel and Em sat down together on the opposite side and I sat across from them in order to ride forward. Suddenly, I was startled when a Pooh-sized older man literally sat on me as his similar-sized wife squeezed herself in next to him. They were traveling with an average-sized senior couple who shared the bench with Kel and Em.

I felt like I was in a vise. I couldn’t move and was creeped out by the very personal contact I was forced to have with the man who was still sitting on me. I could not believe the CM had told this senior citizen party of 4 to join our cabin.

The conversation that ensued between these 4 seniors made me doubt that they had been instructed to board our gondola. Let’s just say they weren’t the sharpest tools in the shed. For example, as we glided over the Speedway gas station, one remarked: “There’s a Speedway down there! I thought the Speedway was in the Magic Kingdom?”

“Maybe they built another one?”

“Oh wait, that looks like a gas station.” 🤦🏻‍♀️

It soon became clear they were on a joyride and not using the Skyliner as transportation. As we glided into the Riviera station another announced: “We’ll just stay on and ride back to Epcot.”

No, no you won’t, I thought to myself as I continued to count the seconds to our arrival at CBR when I’d be able to breathe again.

When the announcement was made that this was the end of the line and all passengers must disembark, these 4 were genuinely perplexed as to what to do next.

I don’t care as long as you GET OFF ME! I wanted to scream.

The doors couldn’t open fast enough for me. Kel and Em had been giving me sympathetic glances throughout the duration of the Least Magical Ride On Earth. The three of us separated ourselves ASAP from the clueless seniors.

We shared a group hug before Kel headed for the DHS gondola to retrieve her car. She had to work the next day so this was goodbye. :cry:

Em and I boarded the Pop/AoA gondola and ended up sharing a cabin with the same two adults whose cabin we joined at the IG. (At least it wasn’t the senior Poohs!)

Since I was rockin’ the groovy tie dye spirit jersey, Em had me pose in front of the tie dye giant 60. (Too bad the palms cast such a large shadow.)

View attachment 453634
Oh my I feel your pain! We got stuck with a senior couple that would not hush. She had to tell us all about her illness and surgery she was going to Atl to have the next week. We dashed off at the next stop and low and behold if they didn’t follow us to that one too! 😩

Loco_driver

We had issues with late housekeeping at pop too. It really is frustrating when the room has been sitting empty all day, and they show up after you’ve returned to rest. We didn’t make a complaint about it on our trip. We did when we had a similar issue at yacht club last year, and it was handled much better than it was for you at pop it appears.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom