A few questions

yankspy

Now that I am less than a week away,:sohappy: I wanted to ask a few questions.

1. Bus vs. Car= I know that I will get various answers on this one, I am looking for a perspective from someone who traveled with a child. Normally I would not mind waiting or standing on a bus, but with the little guy, it may be more difficult.

2. Baby care Centers= Are they adequate? Do they have something to warm up bottles? Where are they?

3. Food and Wine kiosks= What time do they open and close? Do they stay open during EMH.

4. Any advice on quiet spots for naps in the parks for the little one. We will probably not be at the parks all day but sometimes he just needs 20 minutes or so.

5. Stroller theft= Should I be concerned about leaving the stroller while going on rides?

6. Do I need to bring a sheet for the crib that they give you? If so, what size?

7. Where might I find out where characters will be, specifically Pooh, and Goofy? I have some great pics of me as a kid with Goofy and I would love to try and re-create them with my Son.

8. Anyone know where I might find Disney cuff links of any kind?

I apologize for so many questions but even though I have been going there for so long this trip is full of first experiences for me. Any other advice or info about Food and Wine or traveling with a kid is appreciated. Thanks.

happymom52003

I can help you with a few of these.:)

Now that I am less than a week away,:sohappy: I wanted to ask a few questions.

1. Bus vs. Car= I know that I will get various answers on this one, I am looking for a perspective from someone who traveled with a child. Normally I would not mind waiting or standing on a bus, but with the little guy, it may be more difficult. Before kids, we always used the buses, so that is what we did on our first trip with the kids. We found lugging strollers on and off the bus and having to stand (most of the time) while holding kids to be a pain. Next time, we rented a car and have done so every trip since. Not only is it easier in regards to strollers, it also much faster than the buses.

2. Baby care Centers= Are they adequate? Do they have something to warm up bottles? Where are they? They are AWESOME. They have a kitchen area with microwaves, baby supplies for sale, and high chairs. They have a changing room with huge changing tables with HUGE liners to lay on top of them which I think every public changing table in the world should have! They have a nursing room with rocking chairs and low light, and they have a unisex bathroom, and a room with a tv showing cartoons where older can have a little break. And everything is CLEAN. They have a CM on duty making sure of that. There is one in each park. The on at MK is between Crystal Palace and First Aid, the Epcot one is by the restrooms that are located right between Future World and World Showcase, right before you get to Mexico, the one at DHS is near the entrance.....to the left after you go through the turnstiles. Sorry, I do not remember where the AK one is!

3. Food and Wine kiosks= What time do they open and close? Do they stay open during EMH.

4. Any advice on quiet spots for naps in the parks for the little one. We will probably not be at the parks all day but sometimes he just needs 20 minutes or so. When we took our baby (well, she was 12 months old....but she was not walking yet) we found that she would nap anywhere in her stroller. She would also nap on some rides, especially the TTA. And she fell asleep in the Country Bear Jamboree!

5. Stroller theft= Should I be concerned about leaving the stroller while going on rides? Of course it happens, but rarely. I've never been concerned. The one thing that will happen is when you come off of a ride, your stroller will most likely have been moved by a CM because they are constantly rearragning them. We bought a bright, ugly scarf from target and tied it to the handle bars to make ours stick out so we could find it easily. It really helps to do something like that...but make sure it is unique! Some parents get the idea to use a balloon, then walk off the ride and realize a hundred other parents had the same idea....lol.

6. Do I need to bring a sheet for the crib that they give you? If so, what size? I would, just because the laundry deteregent is so strong, and you won't want your baby to have a reaction to it. We were always given pack n plays, which used the standard size pack n play sheets...I'd call the resort to find out if it will be a pack n play or a traditional crib that you will be given.

7. Where might I find out where characters will be, specifically Pooh, and Goofy? I have some great pics of me as a kid with Goofy and I would love to try and re-create them with my Son.

I apologize for so many questions but even though I have been going there for so long this trip is full of first experiences for me. Any other advice or info about Food and Wine or traveling with a kid is appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

Lots of good questions! I think I can help you with a few:

1.) If your budget allows, get a rental car. The convenience, especially with a small child, will be worth it. No worries about standing room only, having to stand and wait for the next bus, etc. Also, being able to come and go as you please will help, and generally, driving your own car will be quicker than the busses (except maybe Magic Kingdom). And if you want to go to another resort or off site at all, a car is must. Parking at your Disney resort and at all of the Disney parks is free, so no extra cost for that.

7.) Before you get to Disney, check out this site: http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/ It is updated weekly with all of the entertainment offerings of each park, including Meet & Greet times. Once you get to Disney, I would check with each park for the specific meet and greet times, and which characters will be available that day. Pooh has a regular meet and greet spot in Magic Kingdom in Fantasyland, as does Goofy in Toontown Fair. They also make appearances elsewhere - Pooh is a regular in the UK in Epcot, and Goofy is all over the place in the parks.

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

KC82271

NAPS -- Having done 6 trips already with my DD now age 4, we nap each and every trip, each and every day!

Magic Kingdom - ride the railroad continuosly. Disney Channel (I think) has a song "All aboard the choo choo train" - that we now sing as we get on the RR as "all aboard the sleepy train" - as she knows she is going to sleep! Also in the MK - right before Tomorrowland - there is a Rose Garden. Last trip down - we just sat down there and it was peaceful and she went to sleep.

Epcot - we leave and ride the monorail non-stop.

Animal Kingdom - we ride the train out to Rafiki's. They don't make you get off - so ride it until they go to sleep.

Hollywood Studios - always a problem. She won't sleep anywhere there.

A few trips we have made the ride back to the hotel - pulled the blinds and she thought it was night time so she slept with no problem.

Never have I rented a car. We always use the Disney buses. We bring our own stroller so yes, it's a pain to take it on the buses, but we have no other use for a car. Having been down there over 20 times myself, the 6 that I have done with a baby/toddler - I really never regretted using the buses.

Strollers - we have brought our own Graco Lite Rider on each trip and never had a problem. Just make sure that there is something there that will trigger someone else's mind to let them know it's not theirs. Friends of ours went in April and had a carriage that was a bit older - and someone accidently took it, but left their own which was brand new. So hang a neon piece of fabric off of it, or something bright.

Advice- do some of the character meals. DD did the Pooh breakfast at Crystal Palace on the first trip - and it has become a ritual. Even though she isn't a "Pooh" kid, she still loves the interaction at that breakfast the most.

Take it at a slow pace. Having been there already, you know what you want to see and what you can skip. Go at the child's pace. Nap when needed. Don't stress yourself over silly little things....you are on vacation and it's the baby's first - treasure it. He will be old enough soon that he will tell you what he is going on and what he isn't going on. He will hate lines soon enough so ENJOY it now.

Upvote 0

rickmusic53

1. Bus, you'll never wait for very long. 2. They are great. 3. Some are and some aren't. 4. Look for a place with shade, it usually works. 5. I've never seen it or heard of it happening, that doesn't mean it never does but I'm willing to bet it's rare. 6. Yes. 7. Animal Kingdom. Go the website...this is not exact Disney Characters Autographs. It gives you exact locations and tells you whether the characters are commonly out or very rare. 8. Downtown Disney. Lots of Disney clothing items, also in the MK on main street. 9.

Upvote 0

tampabrad

Only going to reply to the cuflinks question. Everyone else already gave great answers....

Try World of Disney in the section where they sell the watches. I think I have seen them there. They may have them in the Resorts' Gift Shops. Also try Franck's by the Wedding Pavilion.

Upvote 0

Rob562

There is one in each park. The on at MK is between Crystal Palace and First Aid, the Epcot one is by the restrooms that are located right between Future World and World Showcase, right before you get to Mexico, the one at DHS is near the entrance.....to the left after you go through the turnstiles. Sorry, I do not remember where the AK one is!

The Baby Center is on Discovery Island just before the bridge to Africa.

And as a side note, the Baby Care Centers are adjacent to First Aid in all of the parks. They also have a limited supply of baby needs like baby food, diapers, etc though they're more "emergency"/convenience purchases than something you would plan on buying, as I've heard they're rather expensive.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Phonedave

1. Bus vs. Car= I know that I will get various answers on this one, I am looking for a perspective from someone who traveled with a child. Normally I would not mind waiting or standing on a bus, but with the little guy, it may be more difficult.

You said it, you are going to get a variety of answers. I have used both cars and busses with my kids when they were younger. There are pros and cons to each - and not just the money. I use busses now, but there are those rare occassions where I say to myself "man I wish I had a car" but it's not too often/

2. Baby care Centers= Are they adequate? Do they have something to warm up bottles? Where are they?

Answered before.

They have the same hours as the WS

4. Any advice on quiet spots for naps in the parks for the little one. We will probably not be at the parks all day but sometimes he just needs 20 minutes or so.

Aside from what was mentioned, the baby care centers are good.

5. Stroller theft= Should I be concerned about leaving the stroller while going on rides?

Just take things like your camera and any required medication with you.

6. Do I need to bring a sheet for the crib that they give you? If so, what size?

Ask at guest relations what the character schedule will be.

If you want to schedule it. Pooh and Friends appear at the Crystal Palace. Goofy is all over the place.

Upvote 0

eroyee

If you want to guarantee you dont miss Pooh despite all the character meet and greets then I would book the Crystal Palace. He will definitely be there with that oh so cute EEyore!!:lol:

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I've never worried about stroller theft! As someone else mentioned... try and personalize your stroller (even if it's one you brought from home)! This helps for two reasons; 1) the more personal you can make your stroller the less chance it will be stolen and 2) it helps you locate your stroller when you come off a ride (again, as someone mentioned, they do rearrange the strollers and it won't necessarily be where you left it)! I have also tied a colorful scarf to my stroller, attached a big neon luggage tag (with our info), and I usually leave stuff in it (things that I wouldn't miss that much if they were stolen; diapers, wipes, tissues, etc.)!

As far as the busses go... I find them just fine! I've done 3 trips now with children ranging in ages from 14mths to 6 years. For us it's just not worth the price of a car rental when I find the transportation on site adequate.

Upvote 0

corey154

Alot of great answers so I'm only going to chime in on a few.

Bus vs. car...we thought the car would be better with the baby and the stroller then we still had to fold the stroller and jump on the tram that takes you from the parking lot to the ticket center...it was just as easy to jump on the bus and jump off at the ticket center. (especially for the magic kingdom b/c then you still have to get on boat or monerail)

Naps, in the past we always took a corner of a CS place but now they're seating you when you have your food you might have to buy something then wheel him in the back. It's A/C and quiet during non peak times. Also as stated already the train at MK is a great place, my DD used to always nap on the train.

With the crib, I believe they actually use pack and plays, also I'd bring a small matress pad to put under the sheet. Other wise it's like sleeping on cardboard. (depending on the lenght of your stay you might want to bring more than one sheet)

Upvote 0

doc_holiday3500

Everyone has had great answers so I'll just throw my opinion out on a couple of questions:

My wife and found the buses were great.......once our 16 month got used to sitting and waiting. I would hold the bag and umbrella stroller and she would hold our son. My opinion is the buses are cheaper easier and actually easier.

Nap spots for us were - in AK just across from the baby station (near the bridge to Africa) there were some walkways with benches that were nice and quiet for him to sleep and we enjoyed the scenery. In Magic Kingdom we found he napped basically anywhere in his stroller. DHS he slept well on a bench just after the stores on sunset blvd before the B&B theater. I can't give you any help with Epcot because we didn't spend enough time there.

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

MK - on Mainstreet check out "East" street.
Epcot - Odyssey Center which also has the Baby Center also check out the Showcase Plaza is mildly quiet and the International Gateway is another gerat option
DHS - Backlot Express usually isnt very busy especially when Indiana Jones isnt playing so it would be a good spot also in the Streets of America next to Mama Melrose's there are some nice benches that you could relax on for a bit.
DAK - What used to be the Discovery River Boat Launch in Asia would be a quiet spot also the path from Dinosaur to Chester & Hesters Dinosaur Treasures and the pathway From DinoLand to Discovery Island which runs behind the Boneyard are both great spots.
Don't forget that you could always wander into one of the hotel lobby's along the Monorail loop whilst in MK or one of the Epcot Resorts when you are at Epcot or DHS.

For Pooh you could have a character meal at the Crystal Palace also there is a great Meet & Greet in the Toy Soilder shop towards the back of the United Kingdom Pavillion. For Goofy I have seen him at the Epcot Character Spot on many occasions and right inside the maingate trainstation in MK

In the World of Disney store in DTD I have seen cuff links in both the Mens Dept. and the Villains Jewlery store.

Upvote 0

yankspy

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I guess we will play it by ear as far as the car. We will have one there anyway. We are staying at BCV so we will only need it for MK and AK.

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

You are in GREAT shape staying at the BCV. We are DVC members and visit often. Our 6 year old has been 12 times and our 2 year old has been 7 times (with his 1st time being at 4 weeks old).

I might be able to give you some thoughts on a few of your questions.

Cuff Links are available at Keystone Clothiers in the "studios". It is the shop just past the Disney logo items shop on the left as you walk down the main entrance street.

Pack and Play Sheets: I would bring your own. They are standard pack and plays. If you are driving down, Babies R Us sells a travel crib matress that we found wonderful while our youngest was still little enought to sleep in the pack and play. It is about 2 inches thick and makes the pack and play more comfortable like a regular crib.

Strollers: We have always taken our own stroller and have never had any problems with it being taken. Like many others have said - try to mark it in some way. If you dont already have one, invest in the stroller rain covers that are available at babies r us. We take one everyday and just leave it in the bottom of thr stroller. Then we are ready to cover the stroller in the event of rain. (It will probably rain every day for a few minutes!!!!)

NAPS: Ours never really needed quiet places to nap as much as they really needed to be moving to get to sleep. I would just walk around til they went to sleep and then find an "out of the way spot" to go and sit.

POOH - is also usually available at the character greeting down by the river landing as you enter Dinoland USA in AK (entrance on the Rt just past the restrooms) as well as in the places everyone else has mentioned. Also, if you are going in Oct. (i didnt notice your trip dates) the Pooh gang is usually dressed in their Halloween attire at the River Landing spot in AK. In addition and just for your info - the fab 5 are also dressed in costumes over in Camp MinnieMickey during this time of year.

BUSSES - We ALWAYS use the busses. We have done it both ways and the bus is actually MUCH EASIER to get a stroller on than are the trams that take you from the front of the park to your car. In most cases riders will let your wife sit if she is holding the baby. My husband has been left standing with the stroller many times, but there have always been considerate individuals who allow me to sit with the kids.

I hope you have a great trip. I am looking forward to heading down on Thursday and I am crossing my fingers for nice mild weather.

Have a GREAT time.

Niki

Upvote 0

Gucci65

NAPS:

In Magic Kingdom, Hall of Presidents is always good for baby naps. Dark, air-conditioned, semi-comfortable seats for you while holding a sleeping baby and it's a 30 min show.

In Epcot, American Adventure is good for baby naps. Conditions same as HOP.

Hollywood Studios, the Little Mermaid show.

Animal Kingdom..............don't know, havn't had to find a nap place.

CUFF LINKS: agree with others, seen them in DD at the World of Disney in the jewelery dept.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom