A Few Fantasmic Observations

zulemara

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I went to see Fantasmic last night and haven't been in several months. There were many positive things I saw, but one glaring negative at the end that overshadowed it in my opinion.

The fire was working on all the Pocahontas boats. The last time I went, they didn't turn on at all.

The dragon looks awesome
Unfortunately the fire on the water wasn't working. I thought maybe it was too windy, but confirmed with a friend who works the show that it was mysteriously broken. For the first show it was unexpected, for the 2nd show they knew it wouldn't be working. They changed the lighting so Mickey does this little kick after lighting the sword and starting the killing of the bad guys. I liked that change, it's cute. The audio of the villains dying continues on queue and as soon as the extra animation is over, the water screen comes up and continues the villains death scene.

The character float paddle wheel has been replaced. It's smaller, but it at least turns. That was a welcomed change.

Then we get to the finale. And POOF! Sorceror...oh wait...classic Mickey at the bottom of the hill? is going on.

Classic Mickey did all the fireworks choreography from the opening lift. I was OUTRAGED at this. Seriously, it upset me immensely. So not only is there no Sorceror Mickey, but the whole "some imagination, huh?" doesn't make any sense at all.

After ranting on Facebook, it was confirmed to me that this is not a permanent change, but the lift is broken for the top of the mountain. It is not intended to be fixed until the winter refurb beginning Jan 4. Which means hundreds of thousands of guests over the holidays will see this show with no magical ending and I'm just not ok with that.

Anyway, just FYI for those going that it's a long term technical problem not a permanent cut.

ChristianG

The lift has been broken for quite a while.
I say just start the refurb now and end it in January/February.
It is needed.

bigm23

Same Thing

Ya, we were there almost 2 weeks ago and I read a post on here about some changes in the show. We were hoping they would of had it fixed by when we got there. Ya, mickey only showed up at the bottom and it just didn't have the same effect. Hopefully that will get fixed in the refurb.

The fire was working when we were there, but, it was slow going on, and it started on the right side, and took forever to get to the left and looks like it was having troubles.

It wasn't a busy day, they many people were there for the show and it was over crowed and people were getting upset that they were forced to stand in the back. And many started leaving early during the show not long after the dragon scene. Kinda was upsetting to see people leave during the show.

Rob562

Terrible show. Get rid of it. Bring actual fireworks back to DHS.

I doubt you'll ever see a permanent fireworks show at the Studios ever again. Too much of the park was a fallout zone with SitS. Sure it worked way back then, but going with that setup today would require them to close one of the headliner attractions (TSMM) for hours each night.

-Rob

RSoxNo1

When there were rumors about re-routing the road leading up to DHS to send everyone through the main parking gates would it affect the road that runs behind the back of the park? In theory could you put a fireworks launch site on the other side of where that road currently sits so that it can be framed by the Chinese theater?

Rob562

When there were rumors about re-routing the road leading up to DHS to send everyone through the main parking gates would it affect the road that runs behind the back of the park? In theory could you put a fireworks launch site on the other side of where that road currently sits so that it can be framed by the Chinese theater?

The entrance road off of World Drive is too far off to the side to be of any use if you want to line things up with the Chinese Theater. The old launch sites were located on top of GMR's show building and the Narnia and One Man's Dream buildings. But that was back when Mickey Ave and the entire back part of the park could be closed down nightly.

If you draw a straight line down Hollywood Blvd, through the Theater and on toward the Backlot, you *might* be able to do something in the vicinity of the waterway in front of Catastrophe and to the side of LMA, but the pyro would have to be shot higher and be larger than it was for SitS in order to be visible. That would mean a larger fallout zone.

Inside the park you might be OK if you closed off the southern tip of New York Street, but it would most likely extend onto World Drive too, and I don't see them closing down one of the main thoroughfares on property.

-Rob

RSoxNo1

The entrance road off of World Drive is too far off to the side to be of any use if you want to line things up with the Chinese Theater. The old launch sites were located on top of GMR's show building and the Narnia and One Man's Dream buildings. But that was back when Mickey Ave and the entire back part of the park could be closed down nightly.

If you draw a straight line down Hollywood Blvd, through the Theater and on toward the Backlot, you *might* be able to do something in the vicinity of the waterway in front of Catastrophe and to the side of LMA, but the pyro would have to be shot higher and be larger than it was for SitS in order to be visible. That would mean a larger fallout zone.

Inside the park you might be OK if you closed off the southern tip of New York Street, but it would most likely extend onto World Drive too, and I don't see them closing down one of the main thoroughfares on property.

-Rob

So... World of Color?

Biff215

So... World of Color?

Where Fantasmic currently is or somewhere else? It would seem that it would have to be a different setup than at DCA if they wanted to bring it to DHS. Could be interesting if done right though! I would just hope that they could find a way to not section it off like Fantasmic is now.

I'm a fan of Fantasmic but agree that it's getting dated. I really enjoy the fact that you can pretty much walk up anytime and see Wishes or Illuminations. Sure you might not have the perfect view, but at least you're not waiting in a two hour line just so you can sit another hour or so. Even with the dining package it just wastes too much park time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom