a DVC question

Erika

Aurora_25 said:
They have the regular and preffered rate- the prefered is for the rooms closest to the main building- like for All Star Movies it's fantasia....

Yes... it has to do with convenience, not aesthetics. :) Parents with younger kids often want to be as close to the food court as possible.

Aurora_25

Erika said:
Yes... it has to do with convenience, not aesthetics. :) Parents with younger kids often want to be as close to the food court as possible.
Not us :D LOL- My daughter HAS to be with Buzz and Woody....
I know that it's easier for people in wheelchairs too- so that they don't have to go as far..Makes it nice, but it's like $10 more....

socalkdg

Yellow Shoes said:
I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't buy DVC.

BUT

You ARE paying for your room every year (or month) with your fees. You pay those maintenance fees even if you don't go to WDW that year.

You could look at the inverse:

...you are paying for a room that you may or may not choose to use.
But that is what is great about DVC, you can bank or borrow points meaning you can go every other year, or go twice in a year then take two years off. Combine that with a lucrative renting market(at $10 per point) and if you can't use your points, rent them or bank them.

ZapperZ

I also think that many of us who are enrolled in DVC tend to go to WDW, DL, etc. more than once a year. When I asked around to other people during my "research" into DVC, when I told them that I go to WDW 2 to 3 times a year, they immediately told me that it will be worth it.

I don't think anyone is trying to sell DVC just for the sake of buying or having it. You have to look at what you are already doing, and then see if it is a deal or convenience that you want to have. Don't get it first, and then change your life afterwards to suit the program. That's not going to work.

Zz.

GrowingUpDisney

Yellow Shoes said:
I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't buy DVC.

BUT

You ARE paying for your room every year (or month) with your fees. You pay those maintenance fees even if you don't go to WDW that year.

You could look at the inverse:

...you are paying for a room that you may or may not choose to use.

I was only saying that I don't have too worry about it. I realie that I am paying for my room over the year with the monthly fees. However, the amount of monthly fees per year don't near add up to what it would have cost me to go three times in 2004 (one of those trips being 2 weeks at Christmas).

I do know that if we weren't DVC and I had to pay for the hotels at trip time I would worry about spending big $ on a room when I could be spending it on other activities. It's almost like a long term payment plan so that my famiy will be able to enjoy WDW without the added stress on me to pay big $ for a great stay on site.

All of this coming from the "time share black sheep of the family". My Grandfather owned 7 timeshares that were inherited by my Mother and Aunts when he passed. They don't understand the on-site difference, but I wouldn't trade it for a week off site ever again.

Niki

Yellow Shoes

Thank you for articulating what I was unable to.

One could look at the DVC maintenance fees as "payments" towards their vacation. Many non-DVC guests do the same thing with a regular vacation savings plan.

What irks me is that sometimes on DVC-related threads, owners talk about a "free vacation." There is no such thing. You have paid for your DVC room one way or another. Granted, you may have a bill of $0.00 when you check out, but money HAS exchanged hands through the year.

GrowingUpDisney

Yellow Shoes said:
One could look at the DVC maintenance fees as "payments" towards their vacation. Many non-DVC guests do the same thing with a regular vacation savings plan.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no restraint. If I tried to save money myself in a savings account, we would never go on vacation. I could find a milion other things to spend the $ on. LOL

This way I never see it (auto draft), so i don't miss it.

Niki

socalkdg

GrowingUpDisney said:
Unfortunately I have absolutely no restraint. If I tried to save money myself in a savings account, we would never go on vacation. I could find a milion other things to spend the $ on. LOL

This way I never see it (auto draft), so i don't miss it.

Niki
Isn't that the truth. Saving can be difficult for many. DVC is a prepaid vacation. Spread the costs of vacation over many months, much like purchasing a car.

For the first time ever I had autopay to a savings account and managed not to touch it, thus I was able to use that and pay for 5 airline tickets. Combine with DVC, plus an AP purchased last April on a previous DVC trip, this coming January trip is paid for. Oh, plus we are bringing the mom-inlaw and her tickets will be paid off of earned money with the Disney credit card. Maybe I'll preship food in boxes so that will be taken care of as well. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom