a DVC question

tracyandalex

Original Poster
we've been looking at the information online and we went to one of the "conference" things the last time we were there and we still can't decide if it's as good as it sounds or not. this is our problem - to us it doesn't seem like our hotel would cost as much as a villa and we would much prefer to eat out than cook in out kitchen, but we think it might be wourth while cause we do plan on having kids in a few years and we love to travel. we just wantd people opinions on dvc - do you like it & why, is it a good idea for folks like us & why. any info would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance all,

tracy

Yellow Shoes

One of the big questions to ask yourself is one that you cannot answer:

What will your life be like in 2042 (or 2053)?

Many people buy DVC and other time shares because it seems like a good reason at the time. But times change.

Kids grow up, and don't want to go to WDW, or are so busy that you cannot find any time to go. (That's where we are now with a HS senior known as Mr. Extra-Curricular)

People get divorced (sorry to say, it happens), and the dues are prohibitive or getting to Florida is no longer in the budget.

Someone has a serious illness/accident -- money may be tight, traveling may be difficult, or there just aren't enough "good days" to justify the expense.

You get transferred to somewhere farther away from Florida (or with worse air service to Orlando), thus making the journey more of an ordeal.

I would suggest that you go to some DVC re-sale sites and e-mail the sellers. Ask them why they are selling. I suspect that none of them is dissatisfied with the DVC experience, but their points are now a liability.

Aurora_25

There are lots of things to consider before you join the DVC honestly.

1- How often do you go to WDW
2- What type of resort do you stay at (this is a big one) if you normally stay at a value or off property then DVC isn't the best idea
3- There are maintenance fees every year even when you have paid for your points- it depends on how many points you have for how much your fees will be
4- Will you take advantage of the kitchen (which honestly, to me isn't as big of an issue)
5- Are you willing to finance (or do you have enough money to pay for it right then)

Honestly, I know there is more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

DisneyPhD

When we started going to WDW we were in the same situation as you. Since then we have 2 kids and wouldn't live with out DVC. It makes life much easier. If we would of bought back when we started going 1996, it would of saved us so much money.

For the 2 of you a studio would be just fine, even if you eat out the mini kicthen is very nice for snacks, left overs and drinks.

It really depends if you love Dinsey and want to stay on prop. DVC has spoiled us (and our kids now.)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You also need to look at these issues as well:

1. There are many advantages/incentives to being a DVC member. Discount AP's, discount dining club, discounts for merchandise, all linked one way or another to DVC membership.

2. The future cost of lodging. For example, If I recall correctly, when the Allstars openend, rooms ran for about $59 a night. Now they are $89 during off season. Considering a $30 jump over a not so long period of time, the fact that your lodging costs are locked in is a major benefite. 25 years from now, value resorts may be $150 per night......

3. The argument that Disney may not be the vacation of choice in the future for your family is not a valid argument given the significant number of destinations available outside the Disney resort. Yes, you can exchange points for vacations at other places.

4. If there is a time period that you know you wont be using your DVC membership, your points can be rented to others to defray costs. It can be used as gifts to others, etc.....

5. It is an investiment that has a certain amount of tax benefites. The interest on the loan is tax deductible, and some of the maintanance fees are tax deductible.

6. You can really hack Woody off by becoming a member..... :lookaroun

GrowingUpDisney

We were in your same position in 1997 when we bought our first 150 points at BWV. We didn't have kids. We figured that with DVC we could saty on property a least 3 times per year in a studio with our 150pt. Until I purchased DVC I had never stayed on site (as our family owns 7 other timeshares). It is a real treat for me to stay on site and never worry about paying for my room.

After we had our son, we simply couldn't have made it without a 1-2 Bdrm. We needed the kitchen area as well as the extra space they provide. We have never actually cooked in the kitchen, but it is helpful once the little ones arrive.

There are many around here who think it is not worth it. Like it has been said before, you have to decide how often you can go, (We are within driving distance and can go for the weekend if we like.) and what is important to you. Good luck making your decision. If you decide to join .... Welcome Home.

Niki

PhilharMagician

I also wish we would have bought into DVC along time ago. DVC has allowed us to make 3 trips within 12 months (24 days at Disney). We never could or would have even tried this in the past. Once we add in the cost of AP's and now use the Disney Dining Expereince discount we have been able to extend the amount of family vacations we can do with the same annual budget. Some have mentioned the full kitchens. I must say that when we are there we have absolutely no need for one. We like the Studio's! There is plenty of room for us and a small kitchenette with microwave, fridge, toaster and coffee maker. This is plenty for our morning breakfasts in the room before we head out.

I would definately recommend that you make a descision soon. The cost of entering DVC is going up fairly quickly. We paid $75.00 per point in Oct 2003 and now it's at $95.00 plus some incentives. Who know when the next price increase will go into effect.

Good luck :wave:

Erika

hakunamatata said:

1. There are many advantages/incentives to being a DVC member. Discount AP's, discount dining club, discounts for merchandise, all linked one way or another to DVC membership.

2. The future cost of lodging. For example, If I recall correctly, when the Allstars openend, rooms ran for about $59 a night. Now they are $89 during off season.

$77 for standard views. :p But you are right, still as cheap as it was a few years ago.

Aurora_25

hakunamatata said:

6. You can really hack Woody off by becoming a member..... :lookaroun

Just for the sake of saying it- DVC does say that those incentives might not always be there, so don't buy into DVC just to get the "extras"...They are really nice perks though.

And LOL about #6....

Yellow Shoes

GrowingUpDisney said:
It is a real treat for me to stay on site and never worry about paying for my room.

I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't buy DVC.

BUT

You ARE paying for your room every year (or month) with your fees. You pay those maintenance fees even if you don't go to WDW that year.

You could look at the inverse:

...you are paying for a room that you may or may not choose to use.

DisneyPhD

Erika said:
$77 for standard views. :p But you are right, still as cheap as it was a few years ago.

Who pays for a water view for a value resort, that is just insane! It isn't like you spend much time looking ouside your room from inside it. No blacony. What a waste of money. I had no idea they even spit values up to standard views. I thought it was dumb for mods, but at least some have water views.

Yellow Shoes, what you pay in dues anually is much less then paying for a room. Much much less. I love that little 0 next to your check out for your room. (of course we still have a bill since we charge to the room.)

Good luck HunnyPot, I hope it is as good for you as it is for it. It as a hard leap to make, but I am so glad I did. One of my better moves.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
One thing to remember, also, is that if you stay at a DVC property, you aren't staying at a Value resort anymore. And, for the most part, you aren't staying at a Moderate resort anymore. You're in the deluxe category. And being able to pay about $120 per night for that room (for a studio, I believe) is a really nice feeling sometimes. :)

Things we considered when joining:

- The ability to pay the lodging portion of our next 48 years of Disney vacations, in the next 10 years. Once that's paid off, you only pay your maintenance fees (~$800 for us right now).
- We have really grown tired of Value resorts. I won't go into why, here.
- The ability to use our points at numerous places around the world, if we so choose
- The ability to use our points at other WDW resorts, albeit at a higher point cost than DVC resorts. But we're really set on staying at each resort at least once. :)

There are other perks that have been mentioned, like the discounted AP's, merchandise discounts, golf discounts, etc. They are a nice bonus.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
DisneyPhD said:
Who pays for a water view for a value resort, that is just insane! It isn't like you spend much time looking ouside your room from inside it. No blacony. What a waste of money. I had no idea they even spit values up to standard views. I thought it was dumb for mods, but at least some have water views.

Yellow Shoes, what you pay in dues anually is much less then paying for a room. Much much less. I love that little 0 next to your check out for your room. (of course we still have a bill since we charge to the room.)

Good luck HunnyPot, I hope it is as good for you as it is for it. It as a hard leap to make, but I am so glad I did. One of my better moves.

I didnt even know there were different rates at the Allstars......hmmmmmm

DisneyPhD

HauntedPirate said:
One thing to remember, also, is that if you stay at a DVC property, you aren't staying at a Value resort anymore. And, for the most part, you aren't staying at a Moderate resort anymore. You're in the deluxe category. And being able to pay about $120 per night for that room (for a studio, I believe) is a really nice feeling sometimes. :)

They all are deluxe, but I tend to think of OKW as more likea mod resort with out of this world rooms because of the layout and feel. This tends to really annoy the die hard DVC members over on dis and I get flamed for it. :goodnevil But then again I love PORS so OKW is more like that, but better. The rooms at OKW are much better then any other resort, but it tends to be my least favorite because of the walk with small kids and we don't normally have a car. But for some people OKW is the best and they will only stay there, so it is more of DVC having different things to meet different peoples needs.

I haven't stayed at SSR yet so I don't know about it.

hakunamatata, I didn't know that before Erika posted it. Interesting indeed. I have never stayed at a value, but I might to save some points on a weekend some day if I have to. :lookaroun

PhilharMagician

DisneyPhD said:
They all are deluxe, but I tend to think of OKW as more likea mod resort with out of this world rooms because of the layout and feel. This tends to really annoy the die hard DVC members over on dis and I get flamed for it. :goodnevil But then again I love PORS so OKW is more like that, but better. The rooms at OKW are much better then any other resort, but it tends to be my least favorite because of the walk with small kids and we don't normally have a car. But for some people OKW is the best and they will only stay there, so it is more of DVC having different things to meet different peoples needs.

I haven't stayed at SSR yet so I don't know about it.

:lookaroun

We love SSR. The close proximity to DTD is great. It offer many food and shopping choices with a short walk. Also it helps when we dine in another resort. WE can just catch a bus back to DTD and then walk to our room. This is much quicker than connecting at a park.

We are staying at OKW in November and look forward to a new experience.

Aurora_25

hakunamatata said:
I didnt even know there were different rates at the Allstars......hmmmmmm
They have the regular and preffered rate- the prefered is for the rooms closest to the main building- like for All Star Movies it's fantasia....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom