A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Trip Report

It’s official! Brett and I are finally married and I couldn’t be more excited. We had the most perfect wedding day ever, at our most favorite place in the whole entire world. And of course, as expected, it went by all too quickly. I’m not going to lie, coming down off the high that was our Disney wedding/cruise/honeymoon has been tough. In fact, I'm hoping that writing up/posting this trip report will help me work through some of that. However, I’ve spent much of my spare time in the last few weeks staring at a blank word document... writer’s block? Never heard of it! :lol:

For the first time ever, in all my trip report writing, I did a pre-trip report. It lays out most of the wedding-related details, but for those of you out there who are like me and rarely read pre-trip reports, here’s a quick rundown of events:

Wednesday, March 16, 2011: Drive down, check in offsite for the night
Thursday, March 17, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Friday, March 18, 2011: Wedding Day, Sunset Pointe
Sunday, March 20, 2011: Board Disney Dream for a 4 night Bahamas cruise
Thursday, March 24, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Sunday, March 27, 2011: Check out and head home

We kind of saw this trip as having three legs: Wedding/Cruise/Disney!

A look back at our Disney trip reports: September 2008 (Contemporary), December 2008 (Old Key West), January 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Marathon), July 2009 (Wilderness Lodge Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge), December 2009 (Beach Club Villas), March 2010 (Pop Century & Princess Half), June 2010 (Coronado Springs), August 2010 (Polynesian & Engagement), December 2010 (Kidani Village)

This was our first time on DCL, however, we’ve cruised a handful of times before. So if anyone is interested, those trip reports can be found here: May 2009 (Carnival Liberty), December 2009 (Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas), May 2010 (Emerald Princess), June 2010 (Norwegian Sky)

Oh dear. I feel like I’m embarking on what will be the longest trip report EVER (and I’ve written some long ones). My apologies in advance, as it will likely take awhile to get this report up in its entirety. The good news though, is that I’ve completed the text all the way up through the wedding, so we’ll get to that part fairly quickly!

With all that said, let the memories begin...

IMG_3834.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After lunch we began a slow and leisurely journey around World Showcase. It was the perfect way to spend the day.

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

I came out of a restroom at one point to find Brett taking pictures for people. It looks familiar to the picture of me from earlier... same stance and everything. :lol:

IMG_2179.jpg

As you can probably tell, it was another gorgeous day!

IMG_2182.jpg

In Germany we ogled the ooey gooey caramel goodness at the new Werther’s shop, but for whatever reason we didn’t get anything.

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

Tell me why I didn’t get one of those cupcakes? I swear, they’re mocking me now.

In America we attempted to cool off by watching the American Adventure, but it was down. Boooo!

IMG_1406.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
However, I’m kinda glad we missed it, because when we got to Japan, Miyuki was out making candy! Would you believe, we’ve never stopped and really watched her before? She is absolutely amazing. And I just love how she talks to the animals as she’s carving them. So cool.

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

My parents loved Morocco. The architecture and detail in that pavilion is just stunning, so I’m not surprised.

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We caught the French servers in the middle of their chair act when we got to France:

IMG_2229.jpg

I know they have to be special chairs of some sort, but seriously, check out the legs of those two chairs, they’re totally off center!

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

Belle and her beau were also out enjoying the gardens:

IMG_1430.jpg

O’Canada!

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

foreverbelle

Wasn't the weather just gorgeous. You guys had a great week to go. Believe me I know it was hard to go back..

I think a day to just unwind after the wedding actually works out great. When we went on the honeymoon, we didn't leave until the following day late at night. I always debated since I was anxious to go right away, but looking back I agree it was nice to sleep....and then enjoy.

Love the honeymoon thus far...I want more!!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
The afternoon sun was really starting to wear on us by the time we hit Canada, so instead of waiting around in the park until our dinner reservations, we hopped on the monorail and headed back to the Poly. Seriously, the walkway from the Ticket and Transportation Center is so darn convenient. We were back at the resort by 3:30pm.

IMG_2251.jpg

It was a good idea, too, because it allowed us to get a bit of our packing done ahead of time. Plus, there was a load of stuff in our room that had to go back with my parents, because I didn’t want it sitting in the car in a parking garage while we were on the cruise. One of those things was my wedding dress. Are you ready for the saddest picture EVER?

Look at her...

IMG_2253.jpg

As my mom and I were putting her back in the garment bag, I half-joked that it was like we were burying her. Honestly, I got emotional. :cry: We didn’t even have a way to hang her up in there, because we had cut the strings when I put it on the day before (there was no way they were going to stay put the whole day).

To make myself feel better I had some cake! :ROFLOL:

IMG_2254.jpg

Brett met up with Derek and went to the pool for awhile. It was insanely packed, and this wasn’t helped any by the fact that the quiet pool was under refurbishment. This is one place where I feel like the Poly is lacking... the pool is tiny and the fact that there isn’t a hot tub astounds me. :eek: That being said, it doesn’t stop me from being in love with the place. I just find it incredibly odd that as a deluxe resort it doesn’t have a hot tub. It’s just something I don’t understand. I started packing things up and treated myself to a dole whip that afternoon. In fact, while sitting on a bench and eating my dole whip, I got a little weepy. I couldn’t believe our wedding had come and gone, in what felt like the blink of an eye. It happened so fast! While I was really looking forward to the cruise and our honeymoon, I really didn’t want to check out of the Poly the next day. It was kinda like the last step in admitting that our wedding was over. :cry:

Brett

Now, as much as I sometimes want to, I usually avoid taking pictures of crazy looking people in the parks because, let’s face it, it’s mean-spirited. But I really couldn’t help myself in this case. Really? How old are these girls?! I can’t believe mom let them go out like that, especially "Cinderella," given how incredibly short the "outfit" is. :eek:

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

Don't hate. I think you're just jealous that they got to wear their dresses in the parks and you didn't! :king:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We all met back up outside Tahiti around 5:30pm and headed off for the TTC and our dinner reservations at Via Napoli! A meal I was really looking forward to!

IMG_1446.jpg

DSC03783.jpg

We took a quick journey on Spaceship Earth as soon as we got back to Epcot. The audio was out on our ride vehicle, which normally wouldn’t have bothered me too much, but it was the first time my parents had ever ridden it. Yeah, not quite the same without audio! I swear, this kinda stuff kept happening to them throughout the trip.

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

After the ride we took off for Italy and our reservations at Via Napoli.

IMG_1473.jpg

We were seated in the very back corner of the glassed in patio, by the wait station this time. Normally, I don’t care that much about where we are seated, but this was bad. The glassed in portion of the restaurant feels like an addition and doesn’t have near the same ambiance as the main part. Add to that, we waited FOREVER and a day for everything. From the time we sat down until the time we got our meal was almost an hour.

For dinner, Brett and I shared the quattro formaggi, a white pizza:

IMG_1484.jpg

My parents had the pepperoni:

IMG_1485.jpg

And Kathy, Danny, and Derek got the pepperoni and sausage:

IMG_1483.jpg

Now that we’ve dined their twice, what’s my verdict on Via Napoli? Meh. That about sums it up. I wrote about our first experience with Via Napoli in my August 2010 report, and I have to say that the second time around was even more underwhelming. Of course, it didn’t help that we had to wait an unreasonable amount of time to get our food.

The servers did sing us a congratulatory song and brought us a little mini cookie, which was sweet:

IMG_1486.jpg

As you can see in the above picture, the location of our table leaves a lot to be desired. And the cookie, while I shouldn’t complain about anything complimentary, was dry and covered in redi-whip.

IMG_1490.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Dinner ended up taking so long that I was starting to worry we wouldn’t make it over to the Land in time to use our Soarin’ fastpasses we’d picked up earlier that day. But we did. And I’m so glad because I’d been looking forward to this since last June when my mom rode Soarin’ for the first time. In fact, all of us were looking forward to it (except maybe mom!). Some of you may recall from that trip report that she isn’t the biggest fan of heights… causing Soarin’ to be one of the most hilarious rides ever for me (and even for her). The whole experience became one of those stories we tell over and over again while trying to catch our breath from laughing so hard.

She agreed to ride again, I think mostly because my dad was looking forward to riding it and she didn’t want to miss his first experience on the ride. Plus, ever since we got home and shared the story, Brett had been saying over and over how he wanted to ride it with her.

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

Although this picture tells a different story, I promise she wasn’t coerced!

IMG_1501.jpg

Okay, so I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a ride so much. BEST RIDE EVER! We were cracking up throughout the whole thing, and teasing my mom all the while, joking about the abyss below. When the glider brought us back down I heard my dad exclaim that it was the best ride he’d ever been on. This, coming from a man who once jumped out of a plane and had to pull the emergency cord because his chute wouldn’t open. :eek: My dad’s love for Soarin’ helped my mom to find an appreciation for the ride, even if it isn’t her favorite! She did say that she enjoyed it more than the last time, but that may be because she actually kept her eyes open the whole time. :lol:

It was just about 9pm when we exited the ride and made a dash to the monorail… hoping to catch it before the masses left after Illuminations. Buh-bye Lotso! We’ll see you in a couple days.

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

We were back in Tahiti by 9:15, where we finished packing up for our early departure.

I know this wasn't the most exciting set of posts, but I hope the next one makes up for it…. we'll be boarding the Disney Dream! Woohooo! :sohappy:

diddy_mouse

I'm glad to hear you liked La Hacienda's counter service. We ate there in October and loved it! It's a shame about Via Napoli, the pizzas looked tasty but a tasty meal can be soured by poor service.

I really liked your shot of the balloons in The Land. It's one of my favorite pavilions and I always like seeing more pictures of it at night.

sweetpee_1993

Dang! I'm gonna be late for my run which means it's gonna be mega-hot but it'll be worth it!

Now, as much as I sometimes want to, I usually avoid taking pictures of crazy looking people in the parks because, let’s face it, it’s mean-spirited. But I really couldn’t help myself in this case. Really? How old are these girls?! I can’t believe mom let them go out like that, especially "Cinderella," given how incredibly short the "outfit" is. :eek:

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

Wow! Okay, well, just to be an eensy-weensy voice of reason my brother's youngest daughter just turned 12 but she's almost as tall as me. She's been really tall for a couple years. Sometimes it's hard because she *looks* so much older than she is so you have to stop yourself from thinking she's acting childish or immature in some ways because she *is* just a child. And, bless her heart, it's terrible when she wants to participate in things that she's sorta too big for but all the other girls her age are into. However, that being said...I think if she'd wanted to do BBB my brother would've searched to the ends of the earth for a longer costume or made her wear visible shorts and/or leggings underneath. You know, because **his** daughters won't be dating until they're 30. :lol: I love when he tells me about bathing suit shopping with his daughters. Total and utter hilarity! I'm such an awful sister... :lol:

BTW, I almost took a pic of a chick in Walmart last night (which I also never do because I think it's sorta mean). Tracey couldn't look at her without giggling. He walked past her once really close and he was almost doubled over openly laughing. The man had no control over himself. Like it's soooooo funny for a chick to get her groceries in a little-bitty black spandex dress and patent stilettos. You never know when you're gonna happen across the gazillionaire of your dreams...it's best to be prepared at all times... :lol:

Don't hate. I think you're just jealous that they got to wear their dresses in the parks and you didn't! :king:

:ROFLOL: Now that's funny.

Awesome update! Nooooo, it can't hold a candle to the day before but it still was a fantastic day! The best part is that we're now closer to the DREAM!!!!! :sohappy:

tink65

Holly,

Thanks for the updates. I've been able to catch up today and I've loved every minute of it! Everyone who knows us swears that our daughter will end up marrying at WDW. You've given us alot of food for thought. (Though she is just 16 and it will be many, many, many (did I mention many) years down the road!!!

Our daughter will celebrate her 17th birthday when we are at Disney in Sept and I would love to do the Illuminations cruise as a birthday surprise for her! Can you give me some contact information? Thanks!

Loving everything about your report. Wedding looks absolutely wonderful and love all your narration. Can't wait for the Dream report.

Tena

Ariel484

I hope you end up loving Ohana! Of all the restaurants we’ve eaten at I have two standout favorites: Ohana and the Flying Fish. I wasn’t too miffed about not getting a shout out, but I hated that they didn’t do the huki lau while we were there. I LOVE the huki lau!!!

I almost feel ashamed that we haven't eaten at Ohana yet...oops! And I am intrigued to hear the huki lau...we haven't eaten at the Flying Fish because, unfortunately, we don't like sea food. I so, SO wish we did, because I know Flying Fish and other places at Disney get great reviews.

*high five* I knew I couldn’t possibly be alone.
Nope, not at all. I also had to help my friend out a few years back...that's one of the perks of being a bridesmaid that they don't tell you about! :lol:

I set my camera up with a prime lens and my external flash, and then she took all the shots. She was going back and forth between my camera and hers, but I think all the ones from the YC on were taken with mine (and the external flash).

Okay, thanks. I still feel like such a noob when it comes to photography! I just ordered my first prime lens last week...the cheap-o 50mm/1.8 from Canon. I was debating between that and the 50mm/1.4 but I think I'm going to see how I like the 1.8 version first before I shell out an addtional $300 for the 1.4 version. How do you like your flash?

Yep… the camera strap was made out of the same ribbon we provided Disney with for my bouquet and cake. I’m so excited you noticed! Between the two of us, we’re both very detail-oriented, that’s why I truly can’t believe how we missed the camera thing earlier in the day. OMG… what a fun business that would be!!
SO CUTE! As you say, you guys didn't miss any details. Very nice!

I didn’t count, but I did take a picture…

IMG_1275.jpg

While it didn’t stay up by itself when I took it down, it did actually fall into these really pretty curls (with a lot of volume at the top).

Love the pile of pins...so funny. Are you going to do something with the flowers? Add them to your shadow box (which I think you said you were going to make with the printed stuff)?

Ariel484

Great update! Yay!

I agree with you that it would be SO stressful to leave for the honeymoon the day after the wedding. We did the same as you - took a day in between - and it was so much more relaxed.

Hooray for your dad's first character meet! Is he hooked?? :D

I love the pics that your mom took - specifically the one of you and Brett holding hands (awww :eek:), the one of you taking the picture on TTA, the one of you taking the picture of the family...very cute.

So sorry for your dress...the poor thing. :cry: But at least you had cake to make you feel better! Yum!

I'm bummed to hear your second less-than-stellar review of Via Napoli. We have a lunch ADR there in a couple of weeks (!). That stinks that it didn't work out for you.

I'm so glad that you guys got to Soarin' in time! Sounds like a fun, hilarious time was had by all. Your poor mom though...:lol:

Can't wait to read about your time aboard the Dream! Yay! :sohappy:

DisGal

I love all of your flower and garden pictures - I haven't been there in the spring since high school - I forgot how beautiful Epcot is during that time. Definitely thinking our next trip will have to be during the festival.

I totally agree with you on the pool situation at the Poly. We never use the main pool b/c its always so crowded even in September when we usually go. I can imagine how crowded it was with the quiet pool closed...definitely not relaxing.

dragwit

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

HollyBelle, I'm another lurker, and had to say that I love your updates, and I look forward to more. On those "Princesses" that is just too funny!

Brett, I would say the exact same thing to my wife if she had taken those pictures...

Dang! I'm gonna be late for my run which means it's gonna be mega-hot but it'll be worth it!

Wow! Okay, well, just to be an eensy-weensy voice of reason my brother's youngest daughter just turned 12 but she's almost as tall as me. She's been really tall for a couple years. Sometimes it's hard because she *looks* so much older than she is so you have to stop yourself from thinking she's acting childish or immature in some ways because she *is* just a child. And, bless her heart, it's terrible when she wants to participate in things that she's sorta too big for but all the other girls her age are into. However, that being said...I think if she'd wanted to do BBB my brother would've searched to the ends of the earth for a longer costume or made her wear visible shorts and/or leggings underneath. You know, because **his** daughters won't be dating until they're 30. :lol: I love when he tells me about bathing suit shopping with his daughters. Total and utter hilarity! I'm such an awful sister... :lol:

BTW, I almost took a pic of a chick in Walmart last night (which I also never do because I think it's sorta mean). Tracey couldn't look at her without giggling. He walked past her once really close and he was almost doubled over openly laughing. The man had no control over himself. Like it's soooooo funny for a chick to get her groceries in a little-bitty black spandex dress and patent stilettos. You never know when you're gonna happen across the gazillionaire of your dreams...it's best to be prepared at all times... :lol:

Sweetpee, if you have a blast looking at your local walmart people, check out people of Walmart (peopleofwalmart dot com). If I ever need a good laugh I go there!

joanna71985

Can't wait to hear about the Dream!

Also, in regards to the girls in costume- I want to say if you are over 10 (or is it 12), you are not allowed to wear costumes to the parks outside of special events (MNSSHP, SWW, ect).

meganw1985

Can't wait to hear about the Dream!

Also, in regards to the girls in costume- I want to say if you are over 10 (or is it 12), you are not allowed to wear costumes to the parks outside of special events (MNSSHP, SWW, ect).

Just out of curiosity, how do they prove that? 12 year olds don't have I.D.'s. I'm not positive, but I don't think the KTTW cards have ages on it, just child?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom