A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Trip Report

It’s official! Brett and I are finally married and I couldn’t be more excited. We had the most perfect wedding day ever, at our most favorite place in the whole entire world. And of course, as expected, it went by all too quickly. I’m not going to lie, coming down off the high that was our Disney wedding/cruise/honeymoon has been tough. In fact, I'm hoping that writing up/posting this trip report will help me work through some of that. However, I’ve spent much of my spare time in the last few weeks staring at a blank word document... writer’s block? Never heard of it! :lol:

For the first time ever, in all my trip report writing, I did a pre-trip report. It lays out most of the wedding-related details, but for those of you out there who are like me and rarely read pre-trip reports, here’s a quick rundown of events:

Wednesday, March 16, 2011: Drive down, check in offsite for the night
Thursday, March 17, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Friday, March 18, 2011: Wedding Day, Sunset Pointe
Sunday, March 20, 2011: Board Disney Dream for a 4 night Bahamas cruise
Thursday, March 24, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Sunday, March 27, 2011: Check out and head home

We kind of saw this trip as having three legs: Wedding/Cruise/Disney!

A look back at our Disney trip reports: September 2008 (Contemporary), December 2008 (Old Key West), January 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Marathon), July 2009 (Wilderness Lodge Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge), December 2009 (Beach Club Villas), March 2010 (Pop Century & Princess Half), June 2010 (Coronado Springs), August 2010 (Polynesian & Engagement), December 2010 (Kidani Village)

This was our first time on DCL, however, we’ve cruised a handful of times before. So if anyone is interested, those trip reports can be found here: May 2009 (Carnival Liberty), December 2009 (Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas), May 2010 (Emerald Princess), June 2010 (Norwegian Sky)

Oh dear. I feel like I’m embarking on what will be the longest trip report EVER (and I’ve written some long ones). My apologies in advance, as it will likely take awhile to get this report up in its entirety. The good news though, is that I’ve completed the text all the way up through the wedding, so we’ll get to that part fairly quickly!

With all that said, let the memories begin...

IMG_3834.jpg

Brett

I lounged around for a little while, but then it was “go time.”

DSC03585.jpg

DSC03602.jpg

DSC03596.jpg

DSC03610.jpg

Anybody else think Derek looks like the one getting married here, not me?! :lol:

DSC03614.jpg

Once everybody was neat and pretty, we heading down to the Great Ceremonial House to meet up with the wedding coordinator and others. I was starting to get a little nervous, not because I thought Holly wouldn’t show up or anything :lol:, but just an excited nervousness. It was almost time to start the rest of our lives together!

DSC03638.jpg

DSC03618.jpg

Brett

Waiting around the Great Ceremonial House seemed like an eternity. I hadn’t met nor talked to any of the people I was supposed to meet, so I just kind of paced around a little bit waiting for someone to come up to us. Eventually the violinist, Michelle, came up and introduced herself. I loved her immediately. She had style and was extremely sweet. In fact, she “moonlights” as a violent-ist!

DSC03626.jpg

DSC03656.jpg

We talked over our music choices, including a few that she said were firsts for her like “SpectroMagic” and “Ev’rybody Wants To Be A Cat!”

DSC03632.jpg

The wedding coordinator, Karen, showed up next.

DSC03639.jpg

Along with Kevin Knox, our officiant.

DSC03644.jpg

Kevin quickly walked me through the ceremony before Michelle took us out to Sunset Pointe, where I waited for my beautiful bride.

DSC03657.jpg

meganw1985

I am totally stalking this thread and commenting entirely too much. Oh well haha.

Brett you look so handsome! I'm sure Holly was thrilled to see you waiting for her at the end of the aisle :)

And my mom so totally bought the same dress as your mom for my wedding. Except in green. Weirdness....

Ok. Continue to the wedding! I'll keep coming in and hitting refresh every 20 min or so :lol:

HopLow

Ok, usually I wait until a "break in the action" to interrupt, but I just can't hold back!! I'm so so excited for this TR!!! Jason's photos are fantastic - I love how creative he was with all your elements. The flip flops are totally adorable - your mom is so talented! And your dress is GORGEOUS, Holly!!! It looks very "you." I can't wait to see the official pics of the bride and groom together!

And Brett, love that you're putting in your two cents! Congrats you guys!! :):)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Back in Tahiti…

Jason caught Laine finishing up my makeup.

03HPBHW-037.jpg

I love these two pictures my mom took... I absolutely adored Laine. She was quite honestly my very own Fairy Godmother:

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

I was so happy that she managed to doll me up without making me look like someone else. I loved the makeup and was really happy with how she made my eyes pop (it’s too bad I was squinting in ALL the pictures for the rest of the day - something I thought might happen considering I opted for an outdoor ceremony in mid-afternoon). Laine put together a couple lipstick and powder samples for me to use as touch ups, wished me the wedding of my dreams, and floated away just as one would expect a Fairy Godmother to do.

And then it was time to get dressed. Actually, it was kind of past time. Hair/makeup definitely took longer than I had anticipated it would. We weren’t really running late by any means, we just weren’t going to have enough extra time for some pictures of me with my parents before the ceremony, which was upsetting to me. Well, to be honest, at the time it was barely a fleeting thought, but looking back on it I hate that we didn’t get a chance to take these pictures.

*****A little note here... as everything was happening on the day of the wedding I was happily floating along in a state of bliss. Really and truly it was a dream day for me and it couldn’t have felt more perfect. Like, pinch-me-I-must-be-dreaming perfect. However, after we returned home and I started reflecting on and processing everything (and looking at the pictures), I got upset about a couple of things. I have had trouble balancing this... on the one hand I have a few little regrets (a word I hesitate to use because it has such a strong negative connotation), yet on the other hand I desperately want to hold on to those feelings of perfection I felt throughout our entire wedding celebration. I’m the type of person to take things in and think of how I can make improvements or do it better “next time.” Usually I would consider this as a positive trait, but in some instances, like a wedding, there will never be a next time. So instead, my critical eye is just serving to upset me because there is nothing I can do about it.

I know this has a lot to do with my struggle to write the report and the fact that it has taking nothing short of an eon to get it posted. :rolleyes: The way I document our wedding will inevitably be the way I remember it. I know this to be true because it has proven to be the case time and again with all my past trip reports. So if I mention anything upsetting me, it’s something that I thought about and got upset over after the fact, and not on the day of the wedding. The day of the wedding was magical to me. I hope that doesn’t seem too confusing. Does this make sense to anyone else out there? Did any of you have a similar experience with your own weddings? I know I’m a bit more high-strung than the average person, but I can’t be completely alone in this.*****

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After a hilarious battle with bra tape, which ended with me and mom saying “screw it” and throwing the tape in the trash, it was time to get in the dress…

03HPBHW-082.jpg

Bra tape, be damned… I’ll just hold ‘em up!

03HPBHW-084.jpg

03HPBHW-087.jpg

Mom sewed Lani’s angel charm into the dress…

03HPBHW-089_edit.jpg

Here are some shots of our charms, along with the handkerchief she made for me. It was easily my favorite touch of the day:

03HPBHW-030.jpg

03HPBHW-033.jpg

These little moments my mom and I shared as I was getting ready are precious to me. I’m incredibly lucky because as I’ve grown up my mom and I have become the absolute best of friends. We laugh, we joke, and we cry together. And I know that no matter what it is, I can tell her anything and she won’t judge me. She always listens to what I really have to say and empathizes with me in a way that lets me know how much she truly loves and understands me. She is the most amazing woman and she doesn’t even know it. I don’t know what I would’ve done without her throughout all the planning and preparation for the day.

erstwo

Back in Tahiti…

IMG_2007.jpg

I

Gasp!

*Swoon!* You look so beautiful!

And I must pause here and say - isn't a mother who sews such a blessing? There is nothing quite like holding in your hands, something your mother made for you with such love and care.

Now that my grandmother is gone, I sometimes walk into my mother's sewing room to find her holding something my grandmother made for her (like yesterday, on Mother's Day.) She won't ever admit it - she doesn't want me to think she is sad - but I think it helps her 'feel' her mom again. Special doesn't even begin to describe those things really.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Time to lace me up!

03HPBHW-090_edit.jpg

Initially during the dress stress process I wasn’t the biggest fan of corset backs, especially when they were really wide. I preferred the romantic look of buttons. That being said, the corset totally rocks, mostly because you can feel certain it’ll fit the day of the wedding. Whether you gain five pounds or lose five pounds the dress is still going to fit like you want it to. There’s some freedom in knowing this because I’m betting lots of brides gain/lose a couple of pounds due to stress; I know I did. Despite all the wonderful qualities of a corset, they take an insanely long time to get on (and off). Good luck with that later, Brett. :ROFLOL:

03HPBHW-091.jpg

03HPBHW-098.jpg

I kept telling my mom to make it tighter and tighter… something I’m wishing I hadn’t done because we ended up getting it a little too tight at the top. Ugghh, this is one of those things I realized after the fact. We were just in a hurry at that point. Again, we weren’t running late for the actual wedding, but we didn’t have any extra time to really assess the look and fix it. In fact, I don’t think I looked in the mirror even once after Laine finished up with me. A note to upcoming brides… figure out how much time you THINK you need to get ready and then add an hour.

03HPBHW-105_edit.jpg

My dad arrived, looking rather handsome I might add, as my mom was working on the corset. He made a sweet comment about my being beautiful and I think that’s when it hit me that I was actually getting married. Funny how the big white dress and long flowing veil didn't invoke that reaction on their own. :lookaroun

03HPBHW-100_edit.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I’m actually really glad he was there for the final touches. It was really neat to have just my parents with me in those final moments of getting ready.

03HPBHW-109.jpg

03HPBHW-113.jpg

03HPBHW-114.jpg

03HPBHW-117.jpg

After getting me all laced up, mom fixed dad up with his boutonniere:

03HPBHW-124_edit.jpg

becanya

*****A little note here... as everything was happening on the day of the wedding I was happily floating along in a state of bliss. Really and truly it was a dream day for me and it couldn’t have felt more perfect. Like, pinch-me-I-must-be-dreaming perfect. However, after we returned home and I started reflecting on and processing everything (and looking at the pictures), I got upset about a couple of things. I have had trouble balancing this... on the one hand I have a few little regrets (a word I hesitate to use because it has such a strong negative connotation), yet on the other hand I desperately want to hold on to those feelings of perfection I felt throughout our entire wedding celebration. I’m the type of person to take things in and think of how I can make improvements or do it better “next time.” Usually I would consider this as a positive trait, but in some instances, like a wedding, there will never be a next time. So instead, my critical eye is just serving to upset me because there is nothing I can do about it.

I know this has a lot to do with my struggle to write the report and the fact that it has taking nothing short of an eon to get it posted. :rolleyes: The way I document our wedding will inevitably be the way I remember it. I know this to be true because it has proven to be the case time and again with all my past trip reports. So if I mention anything upsetting me, it’s something that I thought about and got upset over after the fact, and not on the day of the wedding. The day of the wedding was magical to me. I hope that doesn’t seem to confusing. Does this make sense to anyone else out there? Did any of you have a similar experience with your own weddings? I know I’m a bit more high-strung than the average person, but I can’t be completely alone in this.*****[/QUOTE]

Again, I think we are actually quite similar. I too have regrets from my wedding...I grew up very conservative Baptist so there was no dancing or liquor...I honestly regret the dancing part. I regret the fact that everyone dictated what "was" an "was not" acceptable. Still feel some resentment over it. But honestly, I was 21 years old, cared way too much about everyone else's wishes, and should have done what I wanted (I know this wasn't your problem so much!). I also super regret that we didn't hire a professional to tape the whole thing...our tape was done by my uncle and it's awful. Blurry and out of focus and a complete mess. But here's how I have dealt with it over the years....
Do I have regrets? Yes. Do I wish I had done things differently? Yes. But what else do I have? So many many more things that were absolutely perfect. And I cherish every single one of those details. The morning getting my hair done with the bridesmaids. Adam's shower breaking the morning of the wedding and him having to shower at someone else's house. How beautiful everyone looked. The amazing reception. Honestly, over the years, some of the things that weren't perfect have become the things that give my wedding memories character. Others still make my stomach hurt a little. But it was still the most perfect day of my life, where everything was all about Adam and me, our love, and the people we love surrounding us. Doesn't get any better than that, right?

Brett

I am totally stalking this thread and commenting entirely too much. Oh well haha.

Brett you look so handsome! I'm sure Holly was thrilled to see you waiting for her at the end of the aisle :)

And my mom so totally bought the same dress as your mom for my wedding. Except in green. Weirdness....

Ok. Continue to the wedding! I'll keep coming in and hitting refresh every 20 min or so :lol:

Thanks! I don't mean to steal Holly's thunder :lol:

My original plan was to be waiting for her at the top of Sunset Pointe dressed in complete pirate garb (which you'll see during the Disney Dream portion of the report). I'm fairly certain she would have killed me though. It would have been a crime of passion.

Ok, usually I wait until a "break in the action" to interrupt, but I just can't hold back!! I'm so so excited for this TR!!! Jason's photos are fantastic - I love how creative he was with all your elements. The flip flops are totally adorable - your mom is so talented! And your dress is GORGEOUS, Holly!!! It looks very "you." I can't wait to see the official pics of the bride and groom together!

And Brett, love that you're putting in your two cents! Congrats you guys!! :):)

Thanks! We appreciate that.

And FYI, I would write during her trip reports more often but my publishing fees are waaaay too expensive. Holly owes me at least two batches of cupcakes for this one. (I'M STILL WAITING FOR THOSE :mad:)

Spingal

Holly,

I had to post over here on the Disney boards instead of the Princess cruise boards..............:wave:

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOUR DRESS, HAIR AND MAKEUP!!!

Jamie

plaz10

I've got tears in my eyes! Holly - you are absolutely gorgeous! The dress is perfect! And your husband is pretty easy on the eyes - sooo handsome! I can't wait to see pictures of both of you good lookin' kids together! So glad you guys had such a perfect day! Can't wait to read more. Don't even comment on this - just keep going. You're doing great! Writers block my a$$.

And cake TOTALLY counts as a meal. :animwink:

PolynesianPrincess

Love love loveeee your dress! Absolutely gorgeous!! :) I was just at the Poly last week for dinner at the Kona Cafe and it's definitely my favorite resort.. So peaceful and beautiful! Can't wait to read more :)

foreverbelle

Yep who is sitting here crying while my own husband is sitting there wondering what the heck has happened to me.

Answer: Me!

The whole thing about your dress and your sister and what your mom did was just so incredibly touching. What a great little touch.

You look absolutely amazing. I love the makeup and the dress, and the hair and just how everything came together. It was so gorgeous.

I know, I think I look back at my wedding and think well if I could do this and that all over again, I would. I try not to dwell, your wedding was gorgeous...but I understand.

And your hubby is gorgeous. What a lucky guy!!

The pics are amazing. I love the moments with just your parents. Those are the moments you are going to cherish. Especially with your dad....

Dianarella

And FYI, I would write during her trip reports more often but my publishing fees are waaaay too expensive. Holly owes me at least two batches of cupcakes for this one. (I'M STILL WAITING FOR THOSE :mad:)

Brett, why not surprise your new bride with some cupcakes you made? Your husband points will go through the roof! ;)

And by the way, you sure did make a handsome groom.

Best wishes to you both.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
It was about this time when I received a call from Karen, our planner. We were right on schedule, she had just sent Brett and his family out to Sunset Pointe with our violinist, Michelle, and told me it was safe to head on over to the Great Ceremonial House. It didn’t make much sense to me for us to all walk over there only to hop in a golf cart and ride back this direction. When I mentioned this to her she agreed and said they’d meet us in front of Tahiti.

We added all the last minute touches, like my handkerchief in the bustier:

03HPBHW-128_edit.jpg

Laine, wherever you are out there, you are a master at your craft! And I'm sure I'm not the only bride who considers you to be her Fairy Godmother! You are amazing.

03HPBHW-122.jpg

03HPBHW-129_edit2.jpg

03HPBHW-133.jpg

03HPBHW-138.jpg

I asked Jason to take a couple of balcony shots while we waited on Karen to arrive…

03HPBHW-141_edit.jpg

03HPBHW-140_edit.jpg

I love how my veil looks in this picture. You’ll notice in later pictures that the wind (as non-existent as it was that day) caused my veil to get twisted around and it looked kinda funny for a while... before the wind inevitably straightened it back out.

While I was out on the balcony, Karen and Kevin came rolling up in the golf cart. Karen was sweet as can be, calling out "There's the bride!" as they approached. Kevin got out and immediately started talking to me about the ceremony. In fact, his way of introducing himself was, “Did we discuss a ceremony option over the phone or email?” Umm… really? Brett and I had pieced together our ceremony from a few sample ones and we had added a couple of personal things in there, too (as I’m sure most couples do). The way Kevin asked the question I was wondering if he even had the script I had sent and discussed with him via email the month before. Also, a minor nitpick, I requested that he wear a suit and he confirmed that this wouldn’t be a problem… dude showed up in robes. I noticed it and then dismissed it just as quickly because it really wasn’t that important to me. I guess it’s a good thing we only had a mild preference for the suit over the robes and not some longstanding religious issues with it.

Now, I get that the guy does a plethora of weddings a week, sometimes multiple ones a day, so I understand that he doesn’t remember everyone’s individual stories. I don’t even expect him to. What I do expect though is for him to fake it with the best of ‘em. Make me feel like you care, even if you don’t. It’s not difficult. Really, take some diligent notes and review them before speaking with the client. Even the most basic of notes, like whether or not you conversed with the client, would be helpful. :lol: It’s just good business sense, but whatever. Not one to leave things up to chance, I was ready to open my handy-dandy wedding notebook and rip out the script for him (bear in mind, I had no clue that he had already discussed things with Brett). Luckily though, he did have what I’d sent him so we were good. I reminded him that I wanted him to stick to the script. There’s nothing I hate more at weddings than when the officiant goes off and mentions some random current event or something related to pop culture. Brett and I attended a wedding years ago where the preacher alluded to some scene in the current blockbuster Master and Commander. What do I remember from that wedding ceremony? That’s right, the stupid movie reference. :rolleyes:

Jason was already outside waiting for us and mom snapped one last shot of me before we left the room.

IMG_2009.jpg

Okay, remember that word regret that I used earlier. Well this is my one, and really only, regret from the day. For some reason, I told my mom to leave her camera behind. Seriously, this coming from a person who documents EVERY little detail through photographs, and I have no clue what I was thinking. The best I can come up with is that I knew she likely wouldn’t be taking any pictures during the ceremony; therefore, I didn’t think she would need it. I really wasn’t thinking, like, at all. Of course she would have been snapping all kinds of pictures throughout the afternoon, like during the cake cutting, first dance, father/daughter dance, etc. Jason got some really great shots, but they lacked a little in variety. After all, there was only one of him and things moved pretty quickly. And I know for a fact if my mom had had her camera she would have taken pictures from another perspective, an added dimension, if you will. She knows me, and she knows the little things I would have wanted photographed. Thinking about this now makes me physically sick. In fact, in the interest of full disclosure, when we got back from our honeymoon I cried and cried over this. Sounds dramatic as all get out, but I was incredibly upset about it. It’s not something we can fix next time. In fact, I’m still not really over it and it’s killing me because I can’t go back and change it. It’s one of those “I could kick myself for being so dumb” moments. I feel certain that if we hadn’t been running out the door, we probably would’ve discussed it and realized how absurd my suggestion was, but we were feeling rushed. And I’m not sure why because we weren’t actually running late. I debated whether or not to even include this in the trip report because these thoughts weren’t at all a reflection of how I felt that day, but they’ve consumed me since we returned home so it feels disingenuous not to mention it.

Please disregard the fact that I just ended this post on a bit of a downer... I didn't mean to!

I'll be back tomorrow, my friends, with the ceremony!!!

becanya

Your hair looks perfect, and it matches the dress perfectly. Seriously...everything is so perfect that I want to cry again.:cry::sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom