A Conundrum...

Maelstrom Troll

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
I just wanted to pick the brains of another bunch of cruise nuts about what you would do. Around Easter we noticed that the Alaskan cruise on 5/17/21 seemed relatively inexpensive, compared to what we paid in 2016. On a whim we used our 10% voucher and booked a porthole stateroom knowing it would be questionable as to if we would be able to go. At this point, I’m almost pretty sure that Disney wont be sailing out of Canada (or at all) without a solid vaccine, but I guess no one knows.
We feel good about the new cruise cancellation rule, but the potential loss of a $3k flight (hate the options) is the bigger risk. I’m worried that if it becomes a game time decision the flight would be really tricky to nab without grossly overpaying for a redeye or 2 day split flight.
So option 1 is to stick with Alaska, pay our balance around the end of the year and then move forward if possible. Option 2 would be a redo of our last November’s cruise, an Eastern Carib on the Fantasy. For just a few hundred more (last I checked) we would get a verandah and although we love the Wonder, we love the Fantasy almost equally. My family loved the itinerary so it would still be fun plus we would be able to go to the Baths which we were unable to do last time due to the weather. Prices are not much different, the port is in the US, and I guess if all else failed we could do the parks or save our Southwest credits for an early spring cruise.
We would really love to go to Alaska again, it was the best vacation that we’ve ever had but for the above reasons, I’m moving towards Option 2.
What would you do?
 

ChuckElias

Well-Known Member
Advertisement
Man, that's such a tough situation. I am personally in the camp that thinks that there will be SOME sailings by May. But I don't know if the Alaska itineraries will be allowed from Canada. So I think DCL will sail, but I think Canada won't let them. But I think it's possible that DCL makes arrangements to sail from Seattle instead, so that they can still do Alaska.

To summarize, I have NO IDEA. LOL. Sorry.

But if it were me, I think I would keep the Alaska sailing, and hold off on booking the air. I don't think you'll get gouged by the air if you wait until 2021 to book it. It's a tough choice, I'm sure.
 

aliceismad

Well-Known Member
Man, that's such a tough situation. I am personally in the camp that thinks that there will be SOME sailings by May. But I don't know if the Alaska itineraries will be allowed from Canada. So I think DCL will sail, but I think Canada won't let them. But I think it's possible that DCL makes arrangements to sail from Seattle instead, so that they can still do Alaska.

To summarize, I have NO IDEA. LOL. Sorry.

But if it were me, I think I would keep the Alaska sailing, and hold off on booking the air. I don't think you'll get gouged by the air if you wait until 2021 to book it. It's a tough choice, I'm sure.
I'm not sure that cruising from Seattle to Alaska is a viable option without a stop in Canada. Isn't there a rule that cruises must stop in a foreign port? My limited understanding is that it has to do with the fact that most cruise lines operated foreign-flagged ships and thus are not subject to U.S. wage laws, etc. (That's why NCL's Pride of America that sails from Hawaii is U.S.-flagged and crewed by Americans.) I believe there is a fine if the ship doesn't stop in a foreign port.

Since we're in covid-land now, who knows what will happen or if sailing from U.S. to U.S. with no foreign stops would be allowed somehow.
 

ChuckElias

Well-Known Member
I'm not sure that cruising from Seattle to Alaska is a viable option without a stop in Canada. Isn't there a rule that cruises must stop in a foreign port?
That's very true, but I was thinking that they could port without letting passengers off to get around that rule. That way they could sail without having to fly into Canada. Just a thought.
 

John park hopper

Well-Known Member
I'm with you we did the Alaskan 2 week cruise in 2016 and it was the best vacation ever. Would love to do it again but are holding off until a vaccine is available and hopefully the craziness going on in Seattle will have burned it self out (literally and figuratively).
 

NelleBelle

Well-Known Member
We would LOVE it if DCL left from Seattle! I'd be able to convince DH to do a DCL Alaskan cruise easily since we live in Seattle. But as @John park hopper mentioned, Seattle does have some issues they need to figure out. Our city council done lost its mind and I have to admit I am glad to live in an adjacent suburb! Even though the area the "protesters" frequent is no where near the port, the city needs to figure out what they are doing with the police department. 😡 So bad for tourism!!
 

Disstevefan1

Well-Known Member
I just wanted to pick the brains of another bunch of cruise nuts about what you would do. Around Easter we noticed that the Alaskan cruise on 5/17/21 seemed relatively inexpensive, compared to what we paid in 2016. On a whim we used our 10% voucher and booked a porthole stateroom knowing it would be questionable as to if we would be able to go. At this point, I’m almost pretty sure that Disney wont be sailing out of Canada (or at all) without a solid vaccine, but I guess no one knows.
We feel good about the new cruise cancellation rule, but the potential loss of a $3k flight (hate the options) is the bigger risk. I’m worried that if it becomes a game time decision the flight would be really tricky to nab without grossly overpaying for a redeye or 2 day split flight.
So option 1 is to stick with Alaska, pay our balance around the end of the year and then move forward if possible. Option 2 would be a redo of our last November’s cruise, an Eastern Carib on the Fantasy. For just a few hundred more (last I checked) we would get a verandah and although we love the Wonder, we love the Fantasy almost equally. My family loved the itinerary so it would still be fun plus we would be able to go to the Baths which we were unable to do last time due to the weather. Prices are not much different, the port is in the US, and I guess if all else failed we could do the parks or save our Southwest credits for an early spring cruise.
We would really love to go to Alaska again, it was the best vacation that we’ve ever had but for the above reasons, I’m moving towards Option 2.
What would you do?
My vote is for the November 2021 cruise
 

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom