Pre-Trip A Bestie trip to POFQ~ June 2019

[a bit of wordy background. If you want to just get to the nuts & bolts of this Pre-trip report, skip ahead to the bold]

Sometimes the student becomes the master.

I guess it is presumptuous of me to call myself a master, but lemme explain. Back in March of 2001, my best friend of a couple years (we'd known each other in high school but didn't really like each other; then we worked at the same place in college and became best friends), Penny and I decided we should go to Disney World. I was 22 and had never been, and she had been I believe at least 6 or so times throughout her childhood, possibly more.

So she and I, and another of her friends made the trip. We stayed off property at a (very) cheap hotel (think poor college student), had to use the hotel's shuttle bus to get to/from the parks (pre-uber/lyft days, and we weren't old enough to rent a car).

As I always knew I would, should I ever get the chance to visit, I fell in LOVE with Walt Disney World. And so, as I do when I'm into something, I became obsessed. Learned everything I could about the parks.

A year and a half later, we decided to go again, same trio, plus Penny's mom and grandmother. Another blast had by all, but this time again, also off property, but with a rental.

In 2004, my sister and I took my grandmother. Because she used a wheelchair, we stayed on property. The following year, POP Century had opened, so my cousin and I took a trip. I ended up going at least every 18 months or so for many years, each time gaining more and more knowledge. I became the so-called Disney expert in my family and friends circle, and helped people plan trips. So Penny like to tease that the student had become the master.

The last trip Penny and I made to Disney together was in 2006 (unless you count a one-day trip to Epcot that was a cruise excursion). I have met up with her for a day here or there on Disney property but we haven't truly had a Disney trip together for years.

Fast forward to about 7 months ago, when I decided to book a trip for my younger brother and myself. I was looking forward to our trip, but then things didn't work out and he can't make the trip. I hated to cancel, but with DH recently job-hunting, I didn't know who would be going with me. I wouldn't have minded going solo, but it would help to have someone along to help split the cost (see DH recently job-hunting). Enter Penny! YAY! (She and her wife have recently become DVC members) So:

Where: Port Orleans French Quarter (this is kinda perfect too, because it's a place that DH really doesn't have a desire to try, whereas I've always wanted to)
When: June 15-22, 2019 This will be my only summer visit to date, and I know to expect rain and ungodly heat, so I've purchased 5 day PH plus water park. I've never been to either of the water parks, so that will be a new experience. Other than that, we'll be doing lots of breaks, going back to the resort, and swimming during the heat of the day.
Who: Me (Amber), and Penny--both age 40 at time of travel! We WILL be celebrating this!

We are currently at 129 days out. Meal reservations have been made, and I'll go into those in another post.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thought you might like to see some photos from our early trips. From 2001:

2002:

2006:

PagingMsMorrow

That's so exciting! My family and I have a trip planned for this year, October 26-November 2. I simply can not wait. We usually go every year and we haven't been in 3 years so I am very excited to be back at our home away from home. Don't forget to grab your birthday pins for you both!;)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's so exciting! My family and I have a trip planned for this year, October 26-November 2. I simply can not wait. We usually go every year and we haven't been in 3 years so I am very excited to be back at our home away from home. Don't forget to grab your birthday pins for you both!;)

That's a nice time of year to visit, you'll see both fall and holiday decorations then :) Have fun!

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Have fun, I'll look forward to seeing your fun report!
Thanks!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Plans:

Saturday 6/15- arrival to WDW. I will be driving from north of Atlanta early in the morning this day. Penny, in Pittsburgh, will be flying down. She will either uber to POFQ or, if she can get the times to coordinate, I can pick her up at the airport. I plan on bringing a case of water and some snacks to keep in the room for us.
We will most likely just hang out at the resort, maybe take a swim, then get cleaned up and head to Disney Springs. We have a 6:45 reservation for Raglan Road. I'm not sure if Penny's eaten here before, but I have, and love it.

Sunday 6/16- I'm thinking we'll begin the day at Animal Kingdom, but may possibly switch this to DHS as they have morning EMH. This will depend on if I'm able to secure FP for Slinky Dog Dash for the next day. We then have a brunch at Cali Grill for 12:15.

Monday 6/17- This will be our fuller day at DHS, though maybe we'll go to AK for the evening? We are both craving the Cobb Salad, so will be lunching at Hollywood Brown Derby lounge.

Tuesday 6/18- Magic Kingdom! We have a Liberty Tree Tavern reservation for 1:10, and Be Our Guest at 7:30.

Wednesday 6/19- break day/ water park day. Opinions please: which is better? Our major goal will be lazy river. We have a dinner reservation at The Wave for 7:45, and will view fireworks from the Contemporary.

Thursday 6/20- Epcot day, morning EMH. Dinner with Illuminations viewing at Spice Road Table for 8:25.

Friday 6/21- no set plans. MK has morning EMH, but we'll just do what we didn't get a chance to, park hop, revisit what we want. I like to finish in MK, so hopefully we can do that (though Penny's fave park is Epcot). Dinner at Citricos 7:35.

Any comments or opinions welcome!

krause

So fun! Me and one of my bffs went together in 2012 which was her first trip. We’ve taken separate trips since then but one day (maybe when we’re 40!) we definitely plan on doing it again!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
So fun! Me and one of my bffs went together in 2012 which was her first trip. We’ve taken separate trips since then but one day (maybe when we’re 40!) we definitely plan on doing it again!

I like how different travel partners make for different travel dynamics. I'm really looking forward to this trip since she is the one to blame thank for getting me into Disney World! Hope you'll be able to recreate your trip!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, a couple questions y'all can maybe help me out with?

1. Which water park is a better fit for us? We won't need to be doing all of the water slides, especially those requiring a super climb, but we definitely appreciate a wave pool and a lazy river. I've never been to Disney's water parks before.

2. How should we go about setting up a card for our magic band charges? I don't mind putting my card on there (my name is the lead on the reservation) and working out costs later, but can we still apply Penny's DVC/AP discount?

lostpro9het

2. How should we go about setting up a card for our magic band charges? I don't mind putting my card on there (my name is the lead on the reservation) and working out costs later, but can we still apply Penny's DVC/AP discount?
The discount will come at time of purchase by showing your DVC card or AP card. They won't provide the discount based on info on the band, though we did receive a few DVC/AP discounts simply because they saw the DVC/AP slider on our band. All that to say, you'll get your discount just like you would a regular purchase: Show discount card then pay with whatever form of payment you choose.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The discount will come at time of purchase by showing your DVC card or AP card. They won't provide the discount based on info on the band, though we did receive a few DVC/AP discounts simply because they saw the DVC/AP slider on our band. All that to say, you'll get your discount just like you would a regular purchase: Show discount card then pay with whatever form of payment you choose.
AH, good. I figured this was the case, but as it's only ever been DH and I, I wanted to check. Thanks!

fractal

So, a couple questions y'all can maybe help me out with?

1. Which water park is a better fit for us? We won't need to be doing all of the water slides, especially those requiring a super climb, but we definitely appreciate a wave pool and a lazy river. I've never been to Disney's water parks before.

We much prefer Typhoon Lagoon over Blizzard Beach (unless you are set on riding Summit Plummet - which may be the most terrifying ride at WDW ).

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I like the theme of Typhoon Lagoon. I spend most of my time in the lazy river. I only go in the wave pool there for the small waves, I do like that Blizzard Beach's wave pool are just small bobbing waves. I like some of the slides at Typhoon Lagoon too, I like the water roller coaster, the Crush and Gusher, a lot! I hear the new family raft ride is fun too but I haven't been on it.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Maybe someone can answer me this: will Penny's (my friend that is going with me) DVC membership cover my parking fee at the resort?

FlaggNL

Plans looks more than great! You should go to Typhoon! The wave pool is marvelous. And you stay in the best resort on WD property! POFQ is marvelous. That's why we went already 3 times there! Enjoy your pre feelings!

MeeskaMooska0714

We will be there until the 17th, so I will keep my eye out for you! So far, our plans don't line up, but my plans will change when we make our FP selections.

As for water parks, I've been to both and would recommend Typhoon Lagoon. They are both really good, but TL has an awesome wave pool.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Plans looks more than great! You should go to Typhoon! The wave pool is marvelous. And you stay in the best resort on WD property! POFQ is marvelous. That's why we went already 3 times there! Enjoy your pre feelings!

Thank you! I've always wanted to stay there. Visited once, and was very attracted to the layout and the feel, so I'm looking forward to it. Double digit day today!! 99 days!!
Is she on the reservation?

I'm the lead name on the reservation but yes she's on it.
We will be there until the 17th, so I will keep my eye out for you! So far, our plans don't line up, but my plans will change when we make our FP selections.

As for water parks, I've been to both and would recommend Typhoon Lagoon. They are both really good, but TL has an awesome wave pool.

Yes, please do! fingers crossed we both get our desired FP!

That was my leaning as well, so that's what we'll do. Thanks for the advice!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Re: parking.
From frequently asked questions.

Q.
Will DVC Members be charged for parking at a Resort hotel?
A.
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying in a Disney Vacation Club Deluxe Villa at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, regardless of whether they use Vacation Points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using Reservation Points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

A Member who chooses not to use Reservation Points for their stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel in an accommodation other than a DVC Deluxe Villa will be charged for standard overnight self-parking.

Since you are not using points or staying in a villa, it seems you will be charged. Perhaps have your friend, dvc card in hand, ask when you check in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom