Hurricane Helene (2024)

Brian

Landfall advisory:

WTNT64 KNHC 270319
TCUAT4

Hurricane Helene Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092024
1120 PM EDT Thu Sep 26 2024

...HELENE MAKES LANDFALL IN THE FLORIDA BIG BEND...

Based on NWS Doppler radar data, the eye of Helene has made landfall
as a Category 4 hurricane in the Florida Big Bend region at about
11:10 PM EDT (0310 UTC) just east of the mouth of the Aucilla
River. This is about 10 miles (15 km) west-southwest of Perry,
Florida. Based on data from Air Force reconnaissance aircraft, the
maximum sustained winds are estimated to be 140 mph (225 km/h) and
the minimum central pressure is 938 mb (27.70 inches).

SUMMARY OF 1110 PM EDT...0310 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.0N 83.7W
ABOUT 70 MI...115 KM NNW OF CEDAR KEY FLORIDA
ABOUT 45 MI...70 KM ESE OF TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...225 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 24 MPH...39 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...938 MB...27.70 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Bucci/Sardi/Brown/Pasch/Hagen

Edit to include tweet:

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

11pm update:

IMG_0816.jpeg

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
Give the guy who predicted Steinhatchee a free Philharmagic Fastpass!
Where can I redeem for it?

12:41pm Tuesday:
...I believe that the area of Landfall will shift from the Port Leon area where it's currently expected to be closer near Steinhatchee.
(Note: I fixed the town name here as I had it "Stienhatchee")

Joking aside, proof I know my stuff.

LSLS

I'm surprised this isn't getting more coverage. 48 hours without flushing toilets?

Draining water will cause sewage to back up into homes and businesses.

The city released a Q&A about what this means.

Why did this happen?

Due to the high levels of storm surge and to ensure the safety and sustainability of sewer services post-storm.

How long will sewer service be impacted?

It will take at least a minimum of 48 hours to resume plant operations after it's turned off. City staff will need to carefully inspect the plant to be sure it can be safely restarted and make any repairs if necessary before resuming operations.

What else should I know?

Drinking water has NOT been shut off. Running water is still accessible. However, it is critical to not drain water out of sinks, tubs, or toilets. Draining water may cause sewage to back up into homes.

St. Pete Fire Rescue made contact with all special needs facilities in the impacted area.

Crews are monitoring impacts to the plant and standing by to resume service as soon as possible.

https://baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/...s-say-northeast-sewer-treatment-taken-offline

Nubs70

You can still flush them but the waste will not be treated and will flow directly into a waterway. Regular sewage discharges during storms and people go play in the water......
Depends on the elevation of flood water in reference to the toilet. If flood water is below, you will be OK. If flood water is above toilet and you have no check valve in home sewer line, sewage will back up into home. If you have a check valve, your toilet contents will end up on your floor.

JohnD

Quick update. Still in Jax. My home never lost power because my security app still says system is armed. Will wait until Sunday to stay clear of any tree removal and power restoration teams before returning home. I-10 west appears clear on Florida 511 app. Road blockages all around it though on the smaller roads.

IMG_5497.png

Nubs70

Any one on a well loses water and flushing toilets during a power outage once their pressure tank is empty.
You can take buckets of rain water and pour them into toilet and it will "flush" assuming you have a gravity drain field or powered lift drainfield that is not saturated or a functional municipal system.

Ayla

You can take buckets of rain water and pour them into toilet and it will "flush" assuming you have a gravity drain field or powered lift drainfield that is not saturated or a functional municipal system.
Correct. Your toilet will not refill, though.

JoeCamel

Depends on the elevation of flood water in reference to the toilet. If flood water is below, you will be OK. If flood water is above toilet and you have no check valve in home sewer line, sewage will back up into home. If you have a check valve, your toilet contents will end up on your floor.
Right, usually when they close the treatment plant it means there is so much water coming down they can't treat it and it just flows through the plant into the water. It takes 48 hours to get the tanks back to level and the process to break down the waste back in action so they can control the flow again. Often have a red tide bloom after a shut down from the extra nutrients

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom