WDW's Space Mountain is REALLY bad

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
It has probably been 7-8 years since I rode it last and at the time I didn't want to ride it again since it was so uncomfortable and painful....

recently I've been hanging out with a friend who's never been to WDW before, so we've been going around the parks, she convinced me she wanted to try Space Mountain and I told her in advance it's not in great condition.

I made the mistake of riding it and wow, it's MUCH worse than I remember it. Now I'm not a young, skinny person, I'll admit, but even so, it was super painful and not fun. She also was in pain and had a headache the rest of the day after riding it (she's ok now).

I know they were going to replace the track 10-15 years ago then cheapened out...then I was HOPING they'd let the opening of TRON give them a reason to close and re-track Space Mountain, but that still hasn't happened.

I wonder how many complaints Guest Relations gets daily about it.

On this note, I have also been on the Matterhorn a few times and yes, it is also quite jarring and rough, however one difference is I can actually see and anticipate the turns/drops, etc. and brace for them. Space Mountain is so dark (especially with the changes to make it more dark) that it surprises you.

I know some people still love it, but sorry, I can't ride it again unless they make major changes to it. I'll happily ride the Anaheim one instead.

JohnD

It has probably been 7-8 years since I rode it last and at the time I didn't want to ride it again since it was so uncomfortable and painful....

recently I've been hanging out with a friend who's never been to WDW before, so we've been going around the parks, she convinced me she wanted to try Space Mountain and I told her in advance it's not in great condition.

I made the mistake of riding it and wow, it's MUCH worse than I remember it. Now I'm not a young, skinny person, I'll admit, but even so, it was super painful and not fun. She also was in pain and had a headache the rest of the day after riding it (she's ok now).

I know they were going to replace the track 10-15 years ago then cheapened out...then I was HOPING they'd let the opening of TRON give them a reason to close and re-track Space Mountain, but that still hasn't happened.

On this note, I have also been on the Matterhorn a few times and yes, it is also quite jarring and rough, however one difference is I can actually see and anticipate the turns/drops, etc. and brace for them. Space Mountain is so dark (especially with the changes to make it more dark) that it surprises you.

I know some people still love it, but sorry, I can't ride it again unless they make major changes to it. I'll happily ride the Anaheim one instead.
I rode it in March on my last trip. Yeah, I'm good for a while.

NickMaio

It's in a SAD state - - - - - they could have given the flagship SM some love for the 50th.
It's the ONLY SM on the planet that has not been significantly plused. - - WHY
Its Genesis.....

My LO loves it - - Our last trip we rode the Mountain 10 times in a row - - - prob 15 at the end of the day.
Man SM really beats me up.........things we do for our kids - - -
My wife and I swapped with him when we rode.
We went on some anomaly day - - - SM was walk on All day long.
Other were super short as well.

7DMT was the only ride to be 30-40+

Raineman

The older I get, the harder it is on me when I ride. One of the worst parts for me is when you turn that corner , and get to the bottom of the lift hill, and the chain grabs your vehicle to pull it up. It feels like my spine is snapping every time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I've been riding Space Mountain since the late 80's and while it's not as smooth I've never had the type of experience mentioned above.

They really need to close it and do a major refurbishment. Maybe even change the layout
The layout is fine. The track has needed replacement since the mid-2000's, but the track continues to function due to the things Disney has done to lessen the strain on the track.

Jrb1979

I've been riding Space Mountain since the late 80's and while it's not as smooth I've never had the type of experience mentioned above.

The layout is fine. The track has needed replacement since the mid-2000's, but the track continues to function due to the things Disney has done to lessen the strain on the track.
I disagree. With what they can do with coaster track now it could be Disneys wildest ride in space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom