News 2024 EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival

Comped

The members of Air Supply that are still alive are in their 70's.
I suppose that there's only two of them so you are right... Technically haha. There are a few others who have most of if not all of their members still around, but I did derive certain acts which only have one or even no remaining original members for a reason haha.
Candlelight has a larger orchestra plus the voices who are equity. It is performed nightly.

I’m not sure what nightly entertainment you are comparing - but the Epcot concerts probably cost just as much if not significantly more than the Pixar concerts did.

It’s only an interesting number if you think they are paid too high. If that’s the case, I’m interested in what you think they are worth?
Disney continues to budget for Candlelight because it is an essential portion of Epcot's holiday festivities and has been for 30 years or so. If it went away, there would be much more uproar than with other productions. Personally, I don't think they're paid too high, but using it as a baseline for Candlelight in particular, which is reasonable, it does amuse me that Disney has kept it around largely unedited in terms of accompaniment (but not content) for decades after major entertainment cuts began that continue to this day. Fans would probably riot if it was cut.

As for Equity member payments, while I have no reference for anything past 2017, as I am not a member of Equity and do not have access to more recent deals specific to WDW, they were getting paid about $18 an hour for lead vocal roles - as a show is budgeted to last an hour, basic math essentially says that even if you double it because of inflation and through negotiation on the part of Equity it's a fraction of what the orchestra is getting paid (as I can only assume it's about that much of not slightly more, as the local musician association also doesn't publish their rates, although even to this day most other musician associations within Florida charge cheaper rates than that).

Lilofan

Candlelight has a larger orchestra plus the voices who are equity. It is performed nightly.

I’m not sure what nightly entertainment you are comparing - but the Epcot concerts probably cost just as much if not significantly more than the Pixar concerts did.

It’s only an interesting number if you think they are paid too high. If that’s the case, I’m interested in what you think they are worth?
At Candlelight those cast who performed on stage center that looked like a Christmas tree performed for free. Their pay is a few free tickets so they can give to family or friends for a future time.

Last edited:

Nottamus

Big bad voodoo daddy not in the fall lineup seems odd. They are always there near the end, and very entertaining!

I’m sure it’s not mostly about the money Disney pays , but these older bands have received a resurgence of fans with all of the tribute bands out there - so they just got more busy perhaps?

Touchdown

At Candlelight those cast who performed on stage center that looked like a Christmas tree performed for free. Their pay is a few free tickets so they can give to family or friends for a future time.
But the full orchestra up front is paid, as is the VOL in the center of the tree. I assume the only reason the Holiday Festival doesn’t start till Thanksgiving when the rest of the resort goes full Jolly mode within a week of Halloween is how expensive Candlelight is (which I think is a mistake, CL dining packages sell out in minutes every year, I bet demand could easily absorb the extra 2-2.5 weeks of shows.)

Comped

But the full orchestra up front is paid, as is the VOL in the center of the tree. I assume the only reason the Holiday Festival doesn’t start till Thanksgiving when the rest of the resort goes full Jolly mode within a week of Halloween is how expensive Candlelight is (which I think is a mistake, CL dining packages sell out in minutes every year, I bet demand could easily absorb the extra 2-2.5 weeks of shows.)
Also food and wine presumably makes a bunch of money from the food and the wine unlike the Christmas stuff. I don't think that the issue is that Candlelight is too expensive, rather than Disney doesn't want to get rid of the end of F&W.
Big bad voodoo daddy not in the fall lineup seems odd. They are always there near the end, and very entertaining!

I’m sure it’s not mostly about the money Disney pays , but these older bands have received a resurgence of fans with all of the tribute bands out there - so they just got more busy perhaps?
A lot of them are now touring again, particularly with having to make up money from the pandemic. Some of them definitely made money from song licensing, but most make a lot more money from concerts especially if the band doesn't even have any original members in it who recorded those songs... Disney is lower on the totem pole unless they have kids, want a free vacation, or just want to keep coming back. You'd be surprised how many fit all three.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We're waiting on the full booth menus to appear as most of the regular food service locations are just a meh of sameo sameo thats available everywhere.

christine7257

I'm probably delusional and naive but I'm still hoping they'll bring back the special events -- culinary demos, wine tastings, luncheons at various restaurants around the lagoon, celebrity chef events, Party for the Senses etc. Sigh. The festival used to be so fun. Now that the food booths are ubiquitous, having "just" them is a bit of a letdown. All the other festivals offer something extra.

KuperBiff

I'm probably delusional and naive but I'm still hoping they'll bring back the special events -- culinary demos, wine tastings, luncheons at various restaurants around the lagoon, celebrity chef events, Party for the Senses etc. Sigh. The festival used to be so fun. Now that the food booths are ubiquitous, having "just" them is a bit of a letdown. All the other festivals offer something extra.
^This^

We’ve too been waiting for the special events to return. Lots of great memories and experiences. Without them, it’s not the same and not worth to plan a trip around just for booths and merch. I’m sure they have their spreadsheets to justify, but it’s just another example of things being taken away. Maybe universal will start their own F&W and pick up the slack? Would love to hear news that the events are returning though.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There is a certain very empty space that would be a perfect place to do such things!

CommuniCore-Hall_Full_56978.jpg

CommuniCore-Hall_Full_56974.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom