News New Main Street, U.S.A Costumes for Cast Members at Magic Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

The red vest costume that was once worn by PAC was retired as part of this change. The black vest version is still used by Main Street vehicle drivers, at least for now.
Gotcha. But the white dress shirt no longer is in use for Main Street ops as that’s not their costume, correct? And the new costume is not required to be tucked in.

TrainsOfDisney

The red vest costume that was once worn by PAC was retired as part of this change. The black vest version is still used by Main Street vehicle drivers, at least for now.
Oh I see! If it’s the new costume I don’t mind as much as that was at least designed to be worn untucked.

So Railroad and Vehicles still wear the black vest but all other Main Street operations wear the Disney parks t-shirt….. I mean new costume?

Brian

Gotcha. But the white dress shirt no longer is in use for Main Street ops as that’s not their costume, correct? And the new costume is not required to be tucked in.
Well technically the Main Street vehicles CMs are part of Main Street ops, but when I used that term in my post about Flag Retreat, I meant to refer exclusively to the PAC folks who participate/march in Flag Retreat.

TrainsOfDisney

Well technically the Main Street vehicles CMs are part of Main Street ops, but when I used that term in my post about Flag Retreat, I meant to refer exclusively to the PAC folks who participate/march in Flag Retreat.
While I agree with you 100% that the flag retreat should be given total respect - I would argue that if we agree that the shirts look bad untucked they shouldn’t be allowed to be worn untucked.

Nothing has changed since 1971 - a costume should still be worn professionally.

SplashJacket

The world has. So has the meaning and execution of “professionalism” when it comes to dress. Don’t want to get into all that but just want to point that out
I mean… I disagree. There’s a distinct difference between a shift of standards/expectations and completely ignoring show/guidelines.

You don’t see costumed characters with their backs unzipped because it’s more comfortable that way. The costume is meant to be worn a certain way and that’s part of the job description.

Properly wearing a uniform is part of the job description. That’s distinctly different from shifting cultural perspectives on facial hair/general personal presentability.

ToTBellHop

I mean… I disagree. There’s a distinct difference between a shift of standards/expectations and completely ignoring show/guidelines.

You don’t see costumed characters with their backs unzipped because it’s more comfortable that way. The costume is meant to be worn a certain way and that’s part of the job description.

Properly wearing a uniform is part of the job description. That’s distinctly different from shifting cultural perspectives on facial hair/general personal presentability.
I think they’ve determined they need more workers than they can get with the old standard and that allowing the untucked look gets more people to stay on the job.

Perhaps they just need new looks that look good untucked. I never tuck my shirts in and don’t look like a slob.

castlecake2.0

Main Street Theatre, Vehicles, and WDW Railroad all still wear the navy vest costume. PAC, Glow, and Main Entrance ops and merch wear the new new blue/maroon outfit. PAC does the flag retreat and I agree, the new costume doesn’t fit the dignity of the show, but they needed an update as PAC spends their whole shift outdoors in the heat. Way back PAC would be made up of Cast deployed for a few hours from other areas to help with audience control and were not as likely to spend the whole day in outdoor positions. Now it’s a specific role.

CampbellzSoup

1717688267013.jpeg

Even six flags has to tuck their shirts in 😂

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
...but they should have them tuck it in for the Flag Retreat ceremony in recognition of the dignity of the occasion. It's less than 10 minutes, and then they can untuck right after.
And yes, certainly for the flag retreat - crazy disrespectful.

The US Flag Code only asks that people stand at attention, face the flag, remove their head coverings with the right hand and hold them over their left shoulder, hand over the heart. Those in uniform are enjoined to render a military salute (veterans may optionally render the hand salute).

It doesn't, however, mention tucking in shirts, so I'd leave the judgment and finger-wagging to the little old ladies of the DAR.

TrainsOfDisney

My first job I was an outdoor tour guide at a tourist railroad - my uniform was basically the Main Street vehicles / railroad uniform. The vest was optional in the summer but I always wore it - it never made a big difference to me.

Fun fact - the original black vests at Disney had custom gold buttons with the castle engraved on them. Likewise the Plaid vests for guest relations had the “Disney cursive D” engraved on them. I love little details like that. Wonder if the new uniforms have and such details :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom