New three-course selection menu coming to California Grill

jaxonp

That’s all dining plan fallout…

When you mandate that there is no supply variance…you kill the concept of an executive chef. It’s a culinary art…you don’t mandate crayons bought in bulk only.

Disney is notorious for mislabeling things to charge but cutting the knees out behind the wall…hiding behind what legacy WDI built often times.

Concierge being an old one…”signature dining” becoming a newer one.

A great example is the destruction of artists point for nonsense.
I miss artist point. Very underrated…at times. Now it’s a joke

jaxonp

We found that Storybook Dining at Artist’s Point was the exception to the rule regarding prix fixe dining at WDW. The food was outstanding - the only place on property that was able to cook salmon to the correct temperature.

I liked the fact that appetizers and desserts were served family style. My grandson loved the “meatball” that was the hunter’s pie.

We went to Artist’s Point a few times before the change and it was fine but there was really no energy in the room or anything exciting about it. It was half-filled at best when we were there. Excellent food, but we get that where we live. I think this was a good move for Disney, Grumpy et al notwithstanding.

Honestly it was the one dinner there where we didn’t think twice about the price! And my son got the best picture of my granddaughter and Snow White. (Apologies to the Disney detractors).

Sorry to get off-topic. I’m still not happy about the fixed price trend going on at Cali Grill, Space 220 and other restaurants on site.

Thanks for the love @Minthorne !!

The unnecessary theming killed it.

Minthorne

We found that Storybook Dining at Artist’s Point was the exception to the rule regarding prix fixe dining at WDW. The food was outstanding - the only place on property that was able to cook salmon to the correct temperature.

I liked the fact that appetizers and desserts were served family style. My grandson loved the “meatball” that was the hunter’s pie.

We went to Artist’s Point a few times before the change and it was fine but there was really no energy in the room or anything exciting about it. It was half-filled at best when we were there. Excellent food, but we get that where we live. I think this was a good move for Disney, Grumpy et al notwithstanding.

Honestly it was the one dinner there where we didn’t think twice about the price! And my son got the best picture of my granddaughter and Snow White. (Apologies to the Disney detractors).

Sorry to get off-topic. I’m still not happy about the fixed price trend going on at Cali Grill, Space 220 and other restaurants on site.

Thanks for the love @Minthorne !!
I agree with this 100% about Artist point! It was the exception. And that picture of your granddaughter is just pure magic!

17F8C7EF-0D61-4261-BFD7-AE30B0B5B8A0.jpeg

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Pricing for the new three-course selection has been released and remains the same as the 50th celebration menu - $89 for adults and $39 per child.

Market-Inspired Cuisine

Californian cuisine celebrates fresh, seasonal ingredients and the international, melting-pot culture of the Golden State. The chef de cuisine creatively blends new flavors, textures and techniques, delivered in a 3-course selection menu—a continuation of the highly-successful 50th Anniversary celebration offering.

You may choose:
  • One appetizer
  • One entrée
  • One dessert
Price
Adult: $89 per person (ages 10 and up), plus tax and gratuity
Child: $39 per child (ages 3 to 9), plus tax and gratuity

NYDisneymama

I was told the prefix has made a huge impact on the bottom line. This will never go away. Wouldn’t be surprised to see more signatures go to this model. I also expect price to increase.
Its all about food cost right now for every restaurant anywhere. Limited menus reduce inventory costs, cut food waste and better deals with suppliers can be negotiated.

Mealtrip

Wagyu Strip Loin available for an additional $47. 😂 Pretty soon, $89 is going to be a cover charge. Then the prix fixe menu can go away. 🤔

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Flying Fish is typically our go to as far as signatures go. Jiko a close second.
I love Flying Fish but it’s still very pricey for what you get (again, still delicious)! Jiko, my comparison, is one of the only exceptional WDW restaurants at this point that doesn’t annihilate your wallet.

The Prix Fixe menus from Be Our Guest to Cinderella’s Royal Table, and from Monsieur Paul to California Grill and beyond have in my opinion destroyed any value which they used to have. I’m not spending over double I would normally per person: it’s absurd.

I get it, Disney knows they can fill them up to pretty much the same degree while maximizing the profit per person, but to me, it’s these changes that destroy affordability and make me feel like I’m being scammed.

Charging for Fastpass? At least it adds value to my vacation, and for a family of four, I could get it for two days for under $240 during peak pricing. Prix Fixe can literally add $200 extra to what is already an expensive meal with no value added.

I’m not a cheap person, but I am efficient and hate wasting money. I’ll go to Tokyo Disneyland, but I’m absolutely not flying 1st class because it offers so little additional value. Same for the Grand Floridian over the Swan and Dolphin, as they are comparable other than the ‘status’ aspect. Likewise, I’ll go to California Grill, but I’m not dropping money on a prix fixe menu now that it is one. I’m fortunate to be able to afford these things but there is still a cost-benefit that must be made. Everything I try to do is within reason.

Space 220 is even worse than those, as at least most of them have good food. Space is pathetically bad.

It’s stuff like this that makes me feel like WDW is a tourist trap while Disneyland just doesn’t and is by contrast, a breath of fresh air!

aladdin2007

I love Flying Fish but it’s still very pricey for what you get (again, still delicious)! Jiko, my comparison, is one of the only exceptional WDW restaurants at this point that doesn’t annihilate your wallet.

The Prix Fixe menus from Be Our Guest to Cinderella’s Royal Table, and from Monsieur Paul to California Grill and beyond have in my opinion destroyed any value which they used to have. I’m not spending over double I would normally per person: it’s absurd.

I get it, Disney knows they can fill them up to pretty much the same degree while maximizing the profit per person, but to me, it’s these changes that destroy affordability and make me feel like I’m being scammed.

Charging for Fastpass? At least it adds value to my vacation, and for a family of four, I could get it for two days for under $240 during peak pricing. Prix Fixe can literally add $200 extra to what is already an expensive meal with no value added.

I’m not a cheap person, but I am efficient and hate wasting money. I’ll go to Tokyo Disneyland, but I’m absolutely not flying 1st class because it offers so little additional value. Same for the Grand Floridian over the Swan and Dolphin, as they are comparable other than the ‘status’ aspect. Likewise, I’ll go to California Grill, but I’m not dropping money on a prix fixe menu now that it is one. I’m fortunate to be able to afford these things but there is still a cost-benefit that must be made. Everything I try to do is within reason.

Space 220 is even worse than those, as at least most of them have good food. Space is pathetically bad.

It’s stuff like this that makes me feel like WDW is a tourist trap while Disneyland just doesn’t and is by contrast, a breath of fresh air!
I agree. But the question is do they have lasting power operating this way, Im not so sure. People are going to draw the line at some point if they haven't a bit already. Maybe not the castle since thats in the middle of the kingdom, but some of these others not sure how well they are doing or going to do exactly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom