Universal Announces Texas Resort

andysol

Haven't posted on this forum in a long, but just wanted to chime in here.

I think this is a tremendous, aggressive move by Comcast and Universal. In line with Roberts goal of overtaking Disney. Texas is a great opportunity for major theme park lands and this is a great first step. Right now Texas only has SeaWorld in San Antonio and SixFlags in DFW. I am a bit confused by the choice for DFW though. I believe a bit south in the Austin area would be better. Yes there are more people in DFW, but it also gets way colder there than it does in Austin.

Excited to see how this will play out either way.

South of Austin yields you Austin, Houston, San Antonio, DFW. Maybe, just maybe some Louisiana.

DFW yields you all those same places + Oklahoma and Louisiana.

And this is going to be a regional park- not a national destination. While summer and holidays will get massive inflow from those other locations mentioned, the weekdays are going to be made up almost entirely on passholders and locals.
When you exclude summer, weekends and holidays- weekdays are half the year. So that’s crucial.

And DFW metro is 3x larger and growing at a faster (raw number) clip.

So bigger pool for weekdays and a bigger pool for weekend/summer/holidays kind of makes DFW a no brainer compared to basically anywhere in the US. Philly/Virginia area being arguably the best viable alternatives.
Austin? Maybe if a national destination. But regional? Not for this park.

Everything Frisco is doing is higher end. The new PGA course/hotel, The Star (cowboys practice facility), the mall w/ a Kidzania and attached Hyatt regency, and now this.

This isn’t your Arlington or fiesta Texas areas with Fairfield inns and holiday inn expresses.

The aim is solely on more affluent younger families. The ones who will be able to spend 4 nights at the new epic universe hotel or hard rock.
This area checks all the boxes. And those young more affluent families 3-5 hours away have a perfect getaway.

Last edited:

celluloid

Texas area they chose makes total sense when you see how dense the population is and is projected to continue to be for a good while. Also the surrounding areas in the same thing.

It was only a matter of time before one of the two biggiest theme park resort dogs went for Texas. Besides Cali and FL, it makes the most sense. It will be a better theme park than anything drivable distance there currently has and good enough for many to have it as their home and revisit as well as curious people to check out while they are there.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

South of Austin yields you Austin, Houston, San Antonio, DFW. Maybe, just maybe some Louisiana.

DFW yields you all those same places + Oklahoma and Louisiana.

And this is going to be a regional park- not a national destination. While summer and holidays will get massive inflow from those other locations mentioned, the weekdays are going to be made up almost entirely on passholders and locals.
When you exclude summer, weekends and holidays- weekdays are half the year. So that’s crucial.

And DFW metro is 3x larger and growing at a faster (raw number) clip.

So bigger pool for weekdays and a bigger pool for weekend/summer/holidays kind of makes DFW a no brainer compared to basically anywhere in the US. Philly/Virginia area being arguably the best viable alternatives.
Austin? Maybe if a national destination. But regional? Not for this park.

Everything Frisco is doing is higher end. The new PGA course/hotel, The Star (cowboys practice facility), the mall w/ a Kidzania and attached Hyatt regency, and now this.

This isn’t your Arlington or fiesta Texas areas with Fairfield inns and holiday inn expresses.

The aim is solely on more affluent younger families. The ones who will be able to spend 4 nights at the new epic universe hotel or hard rock.
This area checks all the boxes. And those young more affluent families 3-5 hours away have a perfect getaway.

I didn't say South Austin. I said a bit South (of DFW) in the Austin area. I was actually thinking in the Jarrell/Saledo area before you get to Waco. 2 hours from DFW, 2 hours from San Antonio, 2 1/2 hours from Houston, 1 hour from Austin, 5 hours from OK and LA + you don't get as cold a weather as DFW. Also not sure you're saying DFW gets San Antonio and Austin doesn't get OK. South San Antonio to Frisco is 300+ miles and 5+ hours. Not that different from OK City to Austin. If you are going to give San Antonio to DFW then Austin gets OK.

Austin is growing at a faster rate than DFW. Using raw numbers is disingenuous when comparing growth. Heck San Antonio is bigger than Dallas and Austin is bigger than FW and they are within 90 miles of each other.

However you are probably right in that I was thinking of this more of a Universal Studios TX akin to Hollywood or Orlando. And this doesn't seem to be it. I very strongly believe if they were to open that in TX it would make sense to be in the surrounding Austin area.

5thGenTexan

1675710358721.png
1675710441130.png

Report from Kimley-Horn regarding the project... https://www.friscotexas.gov/Documen...isco---Preliminary-TIA-and-Circulation?bidId=

Frankenstein79

I would have liked a resort more like the one in Orlando. But it's nice to see them get their feet wet in the family department. Perhaps they can learn for it and it could help them with doing more for them in their Orlando parks.

Haymarket

They're naming it "Universal Kids Resort." Opens 2026.
Coming-Soon-The-New-Universal-Kids-Theme-Park.jpg
New concept art:

universal-kids-resort-concept-art-1200x750.jpg

New website:

The rumored lands clockwise from left to right are “Trolls” (pink), “Shrek” (green), “Puss in Boots” (orange), “Camp Cretaceous” (blue-purple), and “SpongeBob SquarePants” (blue-green), with a Minions land in the center and “Gabby’s Dollhouse” near the entrance. https://w d w n t.com/2023/12/breaking-universal-announces-name-of-frisco-texas-park/

Last edited:
In the Parks
Yes
They're naming it "Universal Kids Resort." Opens 2026.
New concept art:

View attachment 757002

New website:

https://w d w n t.com/2023/12/breaking-universal-announces-name-of-frisco-texas-park/
Looks like Nickelodeon and Universal might still be teaming up, mostly with SpongeBob, because they do realize that he's still selling like hot cakes(and his show still airs every day).

I'm wouldn't be shocked if the Florida would have plans to take the Dora characters out of its Nick licensing deal(but continue to use Squarepants) due to the fact that "despite the reboot coming soon", I doubt Universal would want to have these characters continue to appear(as they're not as popular as they were in the 2000's, with TV reruns being very limited) and they already have Gabby from Gabby's Dollhouse(A character that they own thanks to DreamWorks) appearing, and the Superstar Parade wrapped up nearly two yrs ago

Andrew25

How many focus groups were required to arrive at that extremely clever, original name?
More than necessary... but honestly it's the right choice. Considering the public sometimes has difficulty grasping things (like Starcruiser being labeled as a hotel and not an experience, partially the media's fault), Universal seems to be going with the "safe" option of keeping it simple and straight to the point.

Should we start taking bets on whether this name lasts longer than Universal Studios Escape?
The name will be fine, as long as it serves the purpose of "it's the universal park for kids", which it does plainly, it'll be fine. Universal Studios Escape was too complicated of a name with no real meaning of what it entails.

They want to avoid the media confusing it as an all-new Universal Studios park in Texas... and have people complain there are not enough thrill rides.

JT3000

More than necessary... but honestly it's the right choice. Considering the public sometimes has difficulty grasping things (like Starcruiser being labeled as a hotel and not an experience, partially the media's fault), Universal seems to be going with the "safe" option of keeping it simple and straight to the point.

The name will be fine, as long as it serves the purpose of "it's the universal park for kids", which it does plainly, it'll be fine. Universal Studios Escape was too complicated of a name with no real meaning of what it entails.

They want to avoid the media confusing it as an all-new Universal Studios park in Texas... and have people complain there are not enough thrill rides.

But do they actually want people thinking, "it's the Universal park for kids?" Because that sends the message that they shouldn't take their kids to the other Universal parks. I don't see this name lasting.

lazyboy97o

But do they actually want people thinking, "it's the Universal park for kids?" Because that sends the message that they shouldn't take their kids to the other Universal parks. I don't see this name lasting.
To some degree, absolutely, because it is the tiny little park for kids.

The problem is that it is so generic. This is Universal’s challenge as they seek to expand. They just sort of do the same thing everywhere so there’s not really a good way to highlight uniqueness.

JT3000

I do. It's not meant to be a destination park like the other Universal parks. It's a regional park like a Six Flags park is.
What are they doing to get the point across that it's not meant to be a destination park for people with kids? This name makes it sound *less* regional than the resorts that have cities in their names.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom