Advice for first timers

eliza61nyc

So there has been a lot of chatter about how hard Disney Genie is to use and the frustration that now accompanies a trip to wdw (or the supposed frustration, lol whichever side of the coin you are on). Also one of the reasons seems to be that many people book a trip to wdw without doing any sort of planning

So here's my question, your friend is planning on taking his/her family to wdw. it's their first time. They are definitely planning on going so lol, "don't go" is not an option.

What advice do you give?

So my standard whenever anyone ask me is this, "don't try to do every thing, it will only lead to you being tired and frustrated"

Chi84

Premium Member
So there has been a lot of chatter about how hard Disney Genie is to use and the frustration that now accompanies a trip to wdw (or the supposed frustration, lol whichever side of the coin you are on). Also one of the reasons seems to be that many people book a trip to wdw without doing any sort of planning

So here's my question, your friend is planning on taking his/her family to wdw. it's their first time. They are definitely planning on going so lol, "don't go" is not an option.

What advice do you give?

So my standard whenever anyone ask me is this, "don't try to do every thing, it will only lead to you being tired and frustrated"
Your standard advice is also mine. I don't know why people think they're going to be happier doing everything. WDW has a ton of things to do, but not everything is for everyone, and everyone doesn't have to do everything in order to have a great time.

Even on our first few trips, we paced ourselves and enjoyed a bit of down time at the resort pools, playgrounds, etc. We got our money's worth, because we didn't measure value in terms of how many attractions we could experience.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I always refer them to the Unofficial WDW guide book as a start and encourage them to do their research. Then suggest they list the major items they dont want to miss and plan to target those things. Good planning is essential and understanding how to get the most out of a trip can make a pleasant trip. Because of the expansive property and things to do and see, let them understand that Dis is really a multiple trip destination in order to do everything. Its constantly changing and your first experience only gets you a taste of whats there. Having fun and enjoyment is connected with a positive state of mind, be willing to wait, have patience and be flexible in your plans. And listen seriously, accept advice from those who have multiple experiences at WDW who can guide you through it from start to finish.

Upvote 0
While your advice is sound and a very noble suggestion... I did not heed it at ALL in any of our trips. LoL

But what I DID DO is plan, plan, plan... My wife looked at me like I had three heads when I handed her our game plan for the first trip we took that include us, plus two kids and two grandparents. The first night back at the resort, Papa went and soaked in the hot tub because he was beat.

However, the whole 7 hour ride home four days later, whenever they were awake, everyone kept saying how amazed at everything we were able to see, do, and experience.

Three years later we did it again with our 3rd child joining us. This time the DW took the binder and read through it on the ride down making suggestions.and rehearing the incredible stuff I had scheduled.

Three years later, we all did it again. Now, total transparency, this binder was much thinner and there was a lot of "wandering time" for the two teenagers to go ride the bigger rides, the grandparents to People Watch and for the youngest to have magical moment after magical moment.

I don't regret the pace I set on those first two visits, though. I had no idea when we would return. And, Papa is no longer with us, but his grandchildren have tons of pictures and memories of some incredible Disney adventures with him. We often break out the photo albums (yes, I still do them) and just sit and relive them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
While your advice is sound and a very noble suggestion... I did not heed it at ALL in any of our trips. LoL

But what I DID DO is plan, plan, plan... My wife looked at me like I had three heads when I handed her our game plan for the first trip we took that include us, plus two kids and two grandparents. The first night back at the resort, Papa went and soaked in the hot tub because he was beat.

However, the whole 7 hour ride home four days later, whenever they were awake, everyone kept saying how amazed at everything we were able to see, do, and experience.

Three years later we did it again with our 3rd child joining us. This time the DW took the binder and read through it on the ride down making suggestions.and rehearing the incredible stuff I had scheduled.

Three years later, we all did it again. Now, total transparency, this binder was much thinner and there was a lot of "wandering time" for the two teenagers to go ride the bigger rides, the grandparents to People Watch and for the youngest to have magical moment after magical moment.

I don't regret the pace I set on those first two visits, though. I had no idea when we would return. And, Papa is no longer with us, but his grandchildren have tons of pictures and memories of some incredible Disney adventures with him. We often break out the photo albums (yes, I still do them) and just sit and relive them.

Wonderful and I have photo albums too😉

I totally admit I don't understand how folks kick out this type of cash with NO prep

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Get your friend a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney and a subscription to Touring Plans. Tell the friend to read the entire book and check the site for updates and then tell them to join here

Upvote 0
If they are planning on going, they should plan on doing some homework beforehand on rides, transportation, dining. etc. I'll second the Unofficial WDW Guide. Find a youtube channel where you enjoy the person and/or content (mine is disney food blog). Download the app beforehand to see how it works. If you are old school like me, when you get to the park entrance grab a paper map. If you've got the money, drop it on Genie+, that is most useful at DHS and then MK. Expect to be on your phone a lot throughout the day to see what ride times are at. Went to Universal Orlando for 2 days before the Disney portion of our trip. Did very minimal planning for Universal using express pass and it was a great experience with no waiting except for Hagrid's coaster. If I used that same approach for the Disney part of the trip I would have probably been frustrated and waiting in long lines all day. Even at mid-lower crowd levels reported for that week, Disney still seemed crowded, so temper expectations about trying to do it all. If you are just going for one to 3 days then maybe you can go from dawn till dusk but if you have a longer trip then you should really plan on taking some time off and go back to the room mid day on those days when the park is open for long hours. If the castle show and fireworks are a must do, then make plans accordingly (showing up early or $) and don't just wander over to the castle near start time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom