Potential updates to Avatar Flight of Passage

BrianLo

The way Cameron talks, 3 is for sure happening (always was) but now 4 and 5 are (more or less) green lit. Avatar 3 should arrive around Dec 2024 with 4 and 5 scheduled for Dec 2026 and 2028 respectively. If they got a major attraction started soon enough, having it ready for what could/should be the conclusion of the story in 2028 should be reasonable with maybe an update to the FoP ride footage to correspond with the releases of Avatar 3... but again, that just makes too much sense...

Indeed on the media blitz before this one released Cameron said 3 is happening regardless. Unless it crashed and burned in a spectacular fashion and Disney was going to pull a WB on Cameron I guess.

The recent commentary post success speaks to the fact they need to get on filming 4/5 if Disney really still wants them to come out this decade.

I'll be honest, I highly suspect 4/5 will still not hit their target dates.

Really the production lag is so evident in how relevant Flight of Passage is still. It almost feels like a teaser to Way of Water we all didn't realize we were watching for 5 years.

dovetail65

If Soaring and FOP were like the Dolby 3d for Way of Water or even the IMAX version(to my eye the Dolby was better) boy FOP and Soaring would really rock! I still love FOP, but every year we get further from 2017 FOP just seems less and less clear to my eye. Soaring is way too old not to get video upgrade.

My kid just visited and says to me I know FOP is 3D dad, but take that away and your new TV and Atmos system at the house is way better picture and sound than Soaring and FOP.

Dapale

I still love FOP, but every year we get further from 2017 FOP just seems less and less clear to my eye
Very true. I get more and more disappointed every time I ride it. They need to readjust/align the projectors every once in a while! Seems like it really shouldn't be the most difficult thing lol

DisneyCane

Have they recently replaced or done maintenance on the projectors? It's been a few months and when we rode yesterday (lower hallway far right door) the image seemed much crisper and clearer than what I remembered.

DisneyCane

If Soaring and FOP were like the Dolby 3d for Way of Water or even the IMAX version(to my eye the Dolby was better) boy FOP and Soaring would really rock! I still love FOP, but every year we get further from 2017 FOP just seems less and less clear to my eye. Soaring is way too old not to get video upgrade.

My kid just visited and says to me I know FOP is 3D dad, but take that away and your new TV and Atmos system at the house is way better picture and sound than Soaring and FOP.
See my post about about the image yesterday. Also, the 3D is Dolby 3D for FoP I'm pretty sure (and Star Tours definitely).

EPCOT-O.G.

Indeed on the media blitz before this one released Cameron said 3 is happening regardless. Unless it crashed and burned in a spectacular fashion and Disney was going to pull a WB on Cameron I guess.

The recent commentary post success speaks to the fact they need to get on filming 4/5 if Disney really still wants them to come out this decade.

I'll be honest, I highly suspect 4/5 will still not hit their target dates.

Really the production lag is so evident in how relevant Flight of Passage is still. It almost feels like a teaser to Way of Water we all didn't realize we were watching for 5 years.
Avatar 3 introduces us to the “ash people.” Repurpose the smellerizers for Ancient Rome

spectromagic04

No pictures since I was working but they are finally starting to repaint the ground. It was starting to look really bad. They started on the walkway in front of Navi and assume they will slowly repaint everything.

bmr1591

Have they recently replaced or done maintenance on the projectors? It's been a few months and when we rode yesterday (lower hallway far right door) the image seemed much crisper and clearer than what I remembered.

I know Brayden with Mickey Views is sometimes frowned upon here, but he said he heard from a friend in Imagineering that the problem isn't the projectors or the screens, it's the glasses. They're apparently very expensive to make because they wanted them high quality for the ride. Over the years, they would replace damaged or stolen glasses with part of their bulk supply from their initial purchase. We've now reached the stage where the bulk is gone and executives haven't been willing to purchase more (at least not yet), so the scuffed glasses are what we're left with, which creates the visual issues.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know Brayden with Mickey Views is sometimes frowned upon here, but he said he heard from a friend in Imagineering that the problem isn't the projectors or the screens, it's the glasses. They're apparently very expensive to make because they wanted them high quality for the ride. Over the years, they would replace damaged or stolen glasses with part of their bulk supply from their initial purchase. We've now reached the stage where the bulk is gone and executives haven't been willing to purchase more (at least not yet), so the scuffed glasses are what we're left with, which creates the visual issues.
That goes against what the post you're responding to says. That post says things have seemingly gotten clearer. Which goes against the idea that all the glasses are getting worse and worse with wear. If things are suddenly clearer, that means they did get new glasses, no?

Also, if 'theft' of glasses is an issue with no replacements... then that would create a huge impact on guest throughput. Have lines become significantly longer and slower?

BrianLo

ToTBellHop

This seems like a pretty solid bet on D23 fodder at this point.

For *hopefully* both resorts.
I highly doubt DL is getting FoP. They’ll build a Satu’li Canteen in DTD and call it a day. It’ll be like
1706132961669.jpeg

Last edited:

Joel

We did it three times in December, and the image quality was the best it's been since the first time we rode it in 2018. Our last trip before that was in January 2021, and it was pretty subpar then.

I assumed projector maintenance, too. I doubt we just happened to win the "good glasses" lottery this time.

bmr1591

That goes against what the post you're responding to says. That post says things have seemingly gotten clearer. Which goes against the idea that all the glasses are getting worse and worse with wear. If things are suddenly clearer, that means they did get new glasses, no?

Also, if 'theft' of glasses is an issue with no replacements... then that would create a huge impact on guest throughput. Have lines become significantly longer and slower?

Some glasses are better than others. He could have had a poor pair his last visit and had a better one this visit, which would lead to a crisper image.

I'm not saying this is true, I'm just saying it's what Brayden reported, and while a lot of people here don't like him, he's been pretty on point with his reports.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom